Author Topic: Your Craziest Concepts  (Read 15641 times)

Samael

Re: Your Craziest Concepts
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 01:17:18 AM »
It is, look at his Terminator Armor....

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 01:24:55 AM »
It is, look at his Terminator Armor....

Ah so it is!  Great minds think alike.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 01:26:50 AM »
It's not my craziest, but definitely one of the most disturbing...

I got to thinking, what if Tomoe Gozen was turned into a black court vampire....

http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/let-s-keep-austin-a-little-less-weird/characters/meggala

She is a super stealthy swords-vampiress with a weapons skill of +6 and a 9 shift weapon attack.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 01:27:24 AM »
My only issue is that he should have higher strength.
Not really. Supernatural Strength plus Might 4 means he can lift trucks and break exterior walls of large buildings without rolling. A couple of rolls (until he gets a +2) or a fate point could have him ripping off a fortified vault door or kicking aside military vehicles.

Mythic Strength plus a high Might score is for people (and things) that can pick up that 100-ton locomotive and whack you with it or rip through the fortifications of antinuclear bunkers.

Offline MorkaisChosen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 07:56:40 AM »
once something blows through the armor and breaks a few bones, you are a lot easier to harm.

That would fit exactly with a Space Marine.
Armour? Maybe. But the Toughness itself, I'm really not seeing it. Space Marines are really hard, they have all kinds of redundant organs; what they don't have is something like the Hags' supertough skin with vulnerable flesh underneath. It's ridiculously tough all the way down.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2011, 08:40:43 AM »
The Catch is basically heavy damage. If he takes a Moderate/Severe/Extreme physical consequence his Catch is met (I got the idea from the Witcher character MijRai originally posted in the character thread). Yes it counts for Supernatural Toughness, the idea is that his armor is "boosting" his toughness (given its well the finest armor available in the 40th millennium).

Ok, let my try to understand this.

With Supernatural Toughness:

OOOO(OOOO) - Armor 2

Now we force him to take a Moderate Consequence, we do that with a 14 stress hit.
14 stress - Armor:2 - Moderate Consequence:4 = 8'th box filled

Oh, wait, now the catch is met.
+2 Stress because the armor doesn't count

that would mean the 10th box is filled
Well, now you need to take a severe consequence as well, because the extra stress boxes don't count, and then fill the 4th box

Somehow this is totally backwards.
Catch satisfaction is supposed to be determined before stress is calculated.
Also, the toughness itself is working against the catch satisfaction. If the Armor reduces the damage enough to avoid a moderate consequence, the catch that would penetrate said armor is not satisfied.
Add to that this characters extremely high Armor value (which i feel should be paid for with refresh btw.) and it's a catch that will barely ever be satisfied.
The Point of having a catch is to make it possible for characters that do not dish out those high stress hits to circumvent high toughness.
If you have to overcome the toughness first before you can circumvent it... well, i think that defeats the purpose of a catch.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2011, 08:51:38 AM »
I personally would make a space marine's toughness catchless - maybe the catch could be weapon: 6 force of chaos attacks.

I mean, they have two hearts.  Organ redundancy.  Ancient armor that stops tank shells cold.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2011, 09:18:47 AM »
They don't have two heads or two brains though. Maybe attacks aimed at their head like the red court weakness of "aimed at their stomachs".

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2011, 10:30:23 AM »
They don't have two heads or two brains though. Maybe attacks aimed at their head like the red court weakness of "aimed at their stomachs".

I was thinking the same thing.  Double tap to the brain will kill them cold.  And they seem to forget their helmets a lot...

Offline MorkaisChosen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2011, 10:40:11 AM »
If you can get through the skull...

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2011, 11:09:35 AM »

For some reason, it seems like the rank and file soldiers wear helmets but the grizzled veteran commanders and sergeants do not.

However, it is also worth noting that a space marine has much thicker bones than a normal human.

A grizzly bear can shrug off some bullets to the head depending on angle.  I would assume that space marines could as well.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2011, 11:16:20 AM »
Shrugging off a 9mm bullet is one thing. Doing the same to a 30mm tungsten hypervelocity dart that can pierce yard-thick rolled homogenous armor is quite another.

Unless you claim space marine skulls are tougher than battleship-grade armor...

Offline MorkaisChosen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2011, 11:19:45 AM »
Well, no. But at that point the catch is less "headshots" and more "armour-piercing weaponry" or "anti-tank weaponry" or something.

Samael

« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2011, 12:04:41 PM »
I changed the Catch to anti-tank weaponry.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2011, 01:14:52 PM »
I changed the Catch to anti-tank weaponry.

I think that is appropriate.

The writeup is now perfect!