Author Topic: Casefile: Night Fears  (Read 3764 times)

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Casefile: Night Fears
« on: April 27, 2011, 11:24:43 AM »
Just noticed that Casefile: Night Fears was up at http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/2011/04/26/casefile-night-fears/

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Casefile: Night Fears
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 06:00:20 PM »
Thanks for the heads up.

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 06:19:03 PM »
Just noticed that Casefile: Night Fears was up at http://www.dresdenfilesrpg.com/2011/04/26/casefile-night-fears/

'tis a good read, I enjoyed it.

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 12:26:32 AM »
Anyone have a download mirror that doesn't require me remembering my DTRGP log-in?  :-[
No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of. May we come in?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2011, 12:54:55 AM »
Thank you very much, Richard.

I have to say, I really like this one. Better than Neutral Grounds, actually.

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2011, 04:32:44 AM »
The introductory parts of this adventure are put together much better than the previous one.  It felt like I was just dumped into the middle of Neutral Ground.  Much more like someone's GM notes, rather than a published adventure.

I'll have to go back to Neutral Ground to double check, but I also think that the art in this adventure (map, single atmosphere piece) was more helpful that the Neutral Ground art.

The stuff about aspect suggestions, and suggestions about 'attacks' by the ghosts also looked useful.

If I would have added something, I would have added a bit more about how the house was put together.  I have only the vaguest idea of that era of house construction, and spaces in the wall (and possible tearing them open) are important to the adventure.  If there had been space left over on the added page, I would have included some comments about what kind of 'historical' objects you might find left over in the house.

For example, when I first visited my grandma's house, there were still some hurricane lamps left over.

Like this:

These days, just including a list of things to Google would probably be enough.  No need to extended explanations.

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2011, 04:45:34 AM »
Speaking of art - there's one piece of art that I feel is out of place.  It's the one of a character giving an item to a ghost to lay it to rest.  It basically reveals how to help that ghost resolve its issues.

Then again, maybe it was intended.

Richard

Offline MacShidhe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2011, 02:53:03 PM »
I really liked it and may use it for a halloween game.  It looks like a really cool take on the classic haunted house story.

Now for a possible Ghost Story spoiler question...

(click to show/hide)

Full Assed FTW!

DV MacShidhe v1.2 YR2 FR 0.75 BK++  RP++++ JB++ TH+ WG ?CL+ SW BC+ MC SH [Murphy++, Molly--, Elaine -]

NERO Plot Merc - "Have Mod, Will Travel"

Offline sandchigger

• Conversationalist
  • His Holiness, the Chigg
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 05:24:43 PM »
I think, Mac, that can probably be considered "teaser". Though I've not read any of Ghost Story yet to be sure.
I may well be silly, but I am never moronic.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2011, 10:42:26 PM »
I am going to run this one at the Role Play Convention in Cologne Germany next weekend... Just in case some German members are attending...
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2011, 07:00:24 PM »
This casefile ought to be on the Resources board. The question is, do we move this thread or make a compilation thread for all casefiles?

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2011, 08:46:10 PM »
I'd say a compilation thread.  This thread doesn't really add much to the Case File - basically it just says that it's there.

Or maybe give each Case File a sticky thread - so if people want to talk about what happened when they ran it they have something to reply to.

Richard

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2011, 11:05:56 PM »
I think, Mac, that can probably be considered "teaser". Though I've not read any of Ghost Story yet to be sure.

Yes.... also, who is "Eyes"?  Page 9, he's writing in blue ink, normally Harry's color- he also mentions Harry in the 3rd person.

Offline Archmage_Cowl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 03:54:18 AM »
Yes.... also, who is "Eyes"?  Page 9, he's writing in blue ink, normally Harry's color- he also mentions Harry in the 3rd person.

My take is it's butters. Considering he refers to an electromagnetic field, which is considerably more sciency (if that is a word) that most of the characters act a lot of the time.

Also Butters is a bit of a four "Eyes"
"I who stand in the full light of the heavens, command thee, who opens the gates to hell. Come forth Divine Lightning! This ends now! Indignation!" Jade Curtis Tales of the abyss

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 04:24:25 AM »
...except I don't remember Butters ever wearing glasses?

Maybe it's a teaser for a new character. That'd be cool.
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman