Author Topic: paying up for the forums  (Read 57852 times)

Offline Jersey

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: paying up for the forums
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2012, 12:07:11 PM »
I wish I knew about this before. I've spent so much money at Amazon in the last 3-4 years that I think I financed the new NJ warehouse they are building (damn you Chris Christie, I don't wanna pay sales tax). Books, audio CDs, Christmas presents, Magic cards (please no jokes, we all have our guilty pleasures), DVDs, small appliances and so on (ad nauseam).

From now on I'll be ordering through the site.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy  --Ben Franklin

Offline ericchri

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 30, 2012, 08:50:30 PM »
Any possibility of including links (or is there a similar ASIN replacement method that could be used) for ordering a Nook version?  Read through the thread and couldn't find anything definitive.  I assume since there's links to buy the hardcover versions or the like from B&N, it might be possible for the Nook as well.  Unfortunately, as a Nook owner, I don't really have the option to say "Eh, I'll just buy it from Amazon for the good of the site."

Offline Enchantedwater

• Needs A Life
  • The Wat
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 30, 2012, 09:16:28 PM »
I preordered Cold Days through this.
"It was all like BAM! What now sucka!? Bring on your silly retinas, I got tricks!" - Wat 8)

Offline Spot

• Posty McPostington
  • Lazer eyes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2012, 12:05:56 AM »
Any possibility of including links (or is there a similar ASIN replacement method that could be used) for ordering a Nook version?  Read through the thread and couldn't find anything definitive.  I assume since there's links to buy the hardcover versions or the like from B&N, it might be possible for the Nook as well.  Unfortunately, as a Nook owner, I don't really have the option to say "Eh, I'll just buy it from Amazon for the good of the site."
Ok, so I may be completely wrong here, but I think I've figured out a replacement method that works for the Barnes and Noble website/Nook books.

Sample link: Original Cold Days link - http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/cold-days-jim-butcher/1112694713?ean=9781611761603&cm_mmc=AFFILIATES-_-Linkshare-_-PTGUYWzr6O8-_-10%3a1&

Link to a new book - http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dead-past-beverly-connor/1018064310?cm_mmc=affiliates-_-linkshare-_-ptguywzr6o8-_-10%3a1&ean=9781101042083

In this link, the number 9781611761603 is the ISBN number. And the alphanumeric code PTGUYWzr6O8-_-10%3a1& is the affiliate ID that earns the $$ for the site. I tried replacing just the ISBN in that link with a new ISBN, and when the page refreshes, information for the new book shows up, but with the affiliate ID still remains the same. So I'd think that just replacing the ISBN should be enough. Iago should be able to confirm this theory (or knock it out of the park and call me crazy  :P ).[/color]
Old gods. New gods. Aren't they all the same?

Offline lovejoy69

• Posty McPostington
  • Ignore it, run away, bonk the offender on the head
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2012, 12:22:51 AM »
Ok, so I may be completely wrong here, but I think I've figured out a replacement method that works for the Barnes and Noble website/Nook books.

Sample link: Original Cold Days link - http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/cold-days-jim-butcher/1112694713?ean=9781611761603&cm_mmc=AFFILIATES-_-Linkshare-_-PTGUYWzr6O8-_-10%3a1&

Link to a new book - http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dead-past-beverly-connor/1018064310?cm_mmc=affiliates-_-linkshare-_-ptguywzr6o8-_-10%3a1&ean=9781101042083

In this link, the number 9781611761603 is the ISBN number. And the alphanumeric code PTGUYWzr6O8-_-10%3a1& is the affiliate ID that earns the $$ for the site. I tried replacing just the ISBN in that link with a new ISBN, and when the page refreshes, information for the new book shows up, but with the affiliate ID still remains the same. So I'd think that just replacing the ISBN should be enough. Iago should be able to confirm this theory (or knock it out of the park and call me crazy  :P ).[/color]
Spot, if your workaround can pull this off so that more purchases can get referral compensation as well as the specific ones directly listed in Jim's store, that will be great.
"...when you know something the rest of us don't."
"It's like heroin for wizards," I confirmed.
   ===          ===
"And if the child was no warlock, she would have lowered the shield by now."
"No! I'm not dropping the shield until Harry says it's okay." She paused. "Uh, besides. I'm not sure how."

Offline Spot

• Posty McPostington
  • Lazer eyes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2012, 12:51:00 AM »
Like I said, I don't know if it will work for sure. Iago's the only one who can tell. :)
Old gods. New gods. Aren't they all the same?

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 31, 2012, 11:56:24 AM »

Here are 2 priscellie quotes that may  pertain to your questions.

We get a residual when you buy from B&N through our store, but we don't have any magic code to apply to non-store stuff.

Patience, guys.  I've replaced the ISBN in the store with the ISBN-10, whereas before I'd mistakenly used the ISBN-13 (*shakes fist at B&N*). The correct store-friendly links should percolate through the cache in a couple days.  In the meantime, here are the store-friendly links:

Amazon
Barnes and Noble

The B&N link in the 2nd quote appears to have a button to buy the nook version through the jim-butcher.com website's vendorship... Something I wasn't aware of.  I've bought all my dresden books directly through my nook, but this time I might try that link myself.

Edit:  The B&N link is also identical to the one on the website store.  They both contain a button for buying the nook version.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 12:07:39 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*