Author Topic: paying up for the forums  (Read 58761 times)

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Re: paying up for the forums
« Reply #45 on: January 04, 2012, 01:43:13 AM »
Absolutely!

1.  Go to the book/Kindle book/CD/electronic device/foot massager and scroll down to the "Product Details" section
2.  Copy the ASIN -- it should be something like "045146365X"
3.  Click on the Amazon link for any item in our store.
4.  Replace the numeric value in the URL with your item's ASIN: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/045146365X/iagonet
5.  Go to that URL.  It should be identical to your item's product page, but the "iagonet" at the end is a tag that lets Amazon know we sent you.  Place your order from there.  You'll pay the same price as before, but Amazon will give us a small cut of the transaction.
6.  Bask in the knowledge that you're helping the boards stay alive and healthy!

I just thought to bump this topic again having just used the technique myself for the first time  (I don't make a whole lot of amazon purchases)
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 04, 2012, 01:52:33 AM »
Serack! Where ya been?
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Spot

• Posty McPostington
  • Lazer eyes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 24, 2012, 01:23:09 AM »
And never underestimate the value of appending the store-friendly identifier to other products not advertised in our store.  I know that in 2011 alone, I've spent nearly $100 in Amazon mp3 products, which are at a 10% fixed residual rate, so because I appended the identifier, $10 of that went to Fred.  When I bought my Blu-Ray player, $8 went to Fred.  Plus about $12 in residuals from everything else I've bought on Amazon since January.  $30 from ONE PERSON's Amazon spending!  Stuff I was planning to buy anyway is helping to pay for the website and Evie's daycare. 

If more forumites took the extra thirty seconds to append the store-friendly identifier to their purchases (as I detail here--I promise, it's less complicated than it looks!), things would bode very well for the site's future AND Evie and Hickslet mk 2's college funds. :D  It's better than any "Donate to keep the site alive" button, because it doesn't cost you a dime!
Priscellie is correct, appending the store-friendly identifier takes about 30 extra seconds. I only buy my Kindle books using the store link. And if I were to put a number to the books, I'd say I've spent enough to make $12* for the site since August 2011 (*at a 6% profit share rate).

It really is quite easy.
Old gods. New gods. Aren't they all the same?

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 01, 2012, 08:07:03 PM »
Yay, I bought two kindle books with the iagonet. Not much money, but I am glad I am remembering to use the system  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2012, 08:44:38 PM »
Squee!  Thanks to all of you!  Each little bit adds up in a BIG way.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 28, 2012, 03:05:45 AM »
Well, Blood Lite was preordered with this system. Posting here to see if some people decides to imitate me  :)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2012, 06:37:36 PM »
Well, Blood Lite was preordered with this system. Posting here to see if some people decides to imitate me  :)

You know, you can just click the links in our store, too.  They do the replacement for you! :D

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 28, 2012, 09:33:15 PM »
Thanks! I am so used to do it when I  buy a product that is not in the store here, that I forgot a book with a story of Jim would be   :-[ :-[ :-[
Missing you, Md 

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #53 on: May 28, 2012, 09:36:59 PM »
Ha!  It's very appreciated, either way. :D

Offline Spot

• Posty McPostington
  • Lazer eyes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2012, 10:51:17 PM »
It's become second nature to me too. Anytime I buy something off Amazon, I'll use the JB store link. :D
Old gods. New gods. Aren't they all the same?

Offline lovejoy69

• Posty McPostington
  • Ignore it, run away, bonk the offender on the head
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2012, 10:53:10 AM »
Release day today for Shannon K. Butcher's paranormal e-novella, "Forget Me Not."   Wow, it's finally 7 August! I'm always impatient for release day to roll around when I'm anticipating something fresh and fun to read.

At Amazon, I'm ordering it through this forum's iagonet link   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B007P7HPBS/iagonet
The e-novella only costs $2.99 but even so, hear that metallic clink? Yep, it's the chink of a few more pennies dropping into the forum's account, helping to defray the costs to keep this forum up and working.   8)
"...when you know something the rest of us don't."
"It's like heroin for wizards," I confirmed.
   ===          ===
"And if the child was no warlock, she would have lowered the shield by now."
"No! I'm not dropping the shield until Harry says it's okay." She paused. "Uh, besides. I'm not sure how."

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2012, 04:02:23 PM »
Release day today for Shannon K. Butcher's paranormal e-novella, "Forget Me Not."   Wow, it's finally 7 August! I'm always impatient for release day to roll around when I'm anticipating something fresh and fun to read.

At Amazon, I'm ordering it through this forum's iagonet link   http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B007P7HPBS/iagonet
The e-novella only costs $2.99 but even so, hear that metallic clink? Yep, it's the chink of a few more pennies dropping into the forum's account, helping to defray the costs to keep this forum up and working.   8)

Thanks!  You rock!

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2012, 08:30:22 PM »
Er, can you use this system to order regular books?
I don't have an e-reader.
And, I'm assuming you can, if so - how?
Many thanks.

Offline lovejoy69

• Posty McPostington
  • Ignore it, run away, bonk the offender on the head
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2012, 09:04:22 PM »
Er, can you use this system to order regular books?
I don't have an e-reader.
And, I'm assuming you can, if so - how?
Many thanks.
Absolutely!  In this thread, reply #1 (immediately following the original post) is by Priscellie, laying out the process. It only takes seconds to do and you won't pay one iota extra to do it. What Amazon does, if you plop the ASIN product identifier into the ordering URL, is to treat whatever you buy as if it was listed in this forum's store.

The benefit to all of us is that it helps cover a bit of the costs of jimbutcheronline.com. So, printed books, e-books, music or anything that Amazon sells, whatever you buy at Amazon's site, they all work that way. What I do is scroll down on the page in Amazon of whatever it is I'm buying, find the ASIN down in the details, copy+paste that into a temporary notepad or wordpad screen so I don't have to retype it, then hop over to the store-forum here and click on anything-or-other just to display the iagonet ordering URL. Cut out the wrong ASIN, paste in the other for what you want, and presto, you're ready to fly.

And in terms of not having an e-reader, well, neither do I. Amazon offers Kindle for PC as a free app. Download it, it's quick and smooth, then anything e-text format which you do want to order but don't have a reader for, your computer stands in for an e-reader.

BTW, it's quite likely that some other providers/distributors have some similar kinds of app for e-books. I'm not trying to sell/promote Amazon's Kindle app. It's simply that it's the one I use, it's worked fine for me, and Amazon is the book distributor who best supports this forum finance-wise in my opinion. So, that's why I said Kindle. You must choose whatever you prefer for yourself.

Blaze and I had a similar conversation about e-books without an e-reader. It was on Shannon's forum http://skbbooks.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=tsw&thread=129&page=1
Blaze is reply #2. Geneva is reply #7.

edited to add: Serack's post in this thread is #45 http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,25288.msg1298401.html#msg1298401 about using the iagonet link for a purchase
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 09:21:16 PM by lovejoy69 »
"...when you know something the rest of us don't."
"It's like heroin for wizards," I confirmed.
   ===          ===
"And if the child was no warlock, she would have lowered the shield by now."
"No! I'm not dropping the shield until Harry says it's okay." She paused. "Uh, besides. I'm not sure how."

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2012, 01:59:26 AM »
edited to add: Serack's post in this thread is #45 http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,25288.msg1298401.html#msg1298401 about using the iagonet link for a purchase

Serack has been known to quote that post whenever this subject comes up on the forums :)
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*