Author Topic: paying up for the forums  (Read 57865 times)

Offline lovejoy69

• Posty McPostington
  • Ignore it, run away, bonk the offender on the head
    • View Profile
Re: paying up for the forums
« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2011, 05:04:29 PM »
And hey, the greater number of sales of each item Jim's store gets from Amazon, the greater percentage we get in profit! 
... And never underestimate the value of appending the store-friendly identifier to other products not advertised in our store. 

If more forumites took the extra thirty seconds to append the store-friendly identifier to their purchases (as I detail here--I promise, it's less complicated than it looks!), things would bode very well for the site's future AND Evie and Hickslet mk 2's college funds. :D 

It's better than any "Donate to keep the site alive" button, because it doesn't cost you a dime!

Priscellie, as always, thanks for being helpful, thorough and gracious with a prompt reply.

I really wish that more forumites knew. I strongly suspect that many or most of us haven't known about the substantial advantage of site-linked Amazon purchasing, or at least haven't thought about it recently enough to readily remember to do so when they're ordering.

It's natural for forum folks to appreciate the untold people-hours given by mods and admins which keep this forum community healthy and enjoyable. To keep in mind that server hours, hosting and out-of-pocket site expenses mean that there are actual money costs involved to keep this ship up and running are perhaps seldom considered.
I wish that there was an avenue, besides this particular thread, which unobtrusively brought this "buying power" choice closer to the forefront of forumites' awareness.

Again, most sincere thanks.
"...when you know something the rest of us don't."
"It's like heroin for wizards," I confirmed.
   ===          ===
"And if the child was no warlock, she would have lowered the shield by now."
"No! I'm not dropping the shield until Harry says it's okay." She paused. "Uh, besides. I'm not sure how."

Offline lovejoy69

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 18, 2011, 05:13:24 PM »
I think the idea is that she can ignore it at her leisure within the topic, whereas a PM might seem more urgent.
As always, Serack, you're right. Being just a thread post, then Priscellie or iago or whomever could feel freer to choose to answer or not. Just didn't wish to come off as intrusive.
   ===          ===
"No! I'm not dropping the shield until Harry says it's okay." She paused. "Uh, besides. I'm not sure how."

Offline Glorificus

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2011, 08:24:31 PM »
things would bode very well for the site's future AND Evie and Hickslet mk 2's college funds. :D 

I've may not be overly bright, but does this ^ (the bolding above) constitute an announcement of a future additional tax deduction for Mr. and Mrs. Iago???

Gratz!!!!!!!!!!!!! (if it does)   :D  :D  :D
What if pigs flew around on the backs of sparkly vampires?

The best thing about my faerie godmother is that the creepy just keeps on coming. p. 273

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2011, 10:08:56 PM »
I've may not be overly bright, but does this ^ (the bolding above) constitute an announcement of a future additional tax deduction for Mr. and Mrs. Iago???

Gratz!!!!!!!!!!!!! (if it does)   :D  :D  :D

Oh, yeah!  Mrs. Hicks is at eight months. Evie's gonna have a little brother!

Offline Phid

• Posty McPostington
  • well... i will give anyone a hug...
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2011, 10:11:17 PM »
wow congrats Iago.
DV<Phid> V1.2 Yr4  Fr(.5) BK++ RP-  JB TH +++ WG CL++ !SW—BC++ MC+ SH[Mavra+, Molly++]

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2011, 10:59:09 PM »

Congrats Iago :D
"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2011, 11:26:59 PM »
Yay! Congrats!
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Alilisa

• Posty McPostington
  • True love never dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2011, 08:39:29 PM »
Wow, I almost missed this, Congrats on a healthy and joyful upcoming birth-day
I believe in True Love, Susan and Harry will always be the one true love, because even reminders of that love will always remain.

"(Love) It lingers on in the energy of their lives, even when they are apart." (Blood Rites)

Offline Glorificus

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 21, 2011, 07:23:32 PM »
Great news about Baby Iago. Will he be known as Iago?

Speaking of ordering through Amazon - last week I signed up for Ghost Story, which qualified on its own for free shipping with me paying only $14.71, so I decided to add Hexed, because I'm a Kate Daniels fan. When I got to the checkout, it added $2.45 shipping for the paperback. This annoyed me so I deleted Hexed but am looking forward to Ghost Story.

The best thing about my faerie godmother is that the creepy just keeps on coming. p. 273

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #39 on: June 21, 2011, 08:19:12 PM »
Great news about Baby Iago. Will he be known as Iago?

Speaking of ordering through Amazon - last week I signed up for Ghost Story, which qualified on its own for free shipping with me paying only $14.71, so I decided to add Hexed, because I'm a Kate Daniels fan. When I got to the checkout, it added $2.45 shipping for the paperback. This annoyed me so I deleted Hexed but am looking forward to Ghost Story.

That's weird.  Did you select "Ship my items together"?

Offline Glorificus

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2011, 07:02:13 PM »
That's weird.  Did you select "Ship my items together"?

Probably not. I just figure they should do things the way I want automatically. Besides, although I really like Jim I'm not that fond of Dali.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2011, 03:51:21 PM »
Absolutely!

1.  Go to the book/Kindle book/CD/electronic device/foot massager and scroll down to the "Product Details" section
2.  Copy the ASIN -- it should be something like "045146365X"
3.  Click on the Amazon link for any item in our store.
4.  Replace the numeric value in the URL with your item's ASIN: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/045146365X/iagonet
5.  Go to that URL.  It should be identical to your item's product page, but the "iagonet" at the end is a tag that lets Amazon know we sent you.  Place your order from there.  You'll pay the same price as before, but Amazon will give us a small cut of the transaction.
6.  Bask in the knowledge that you're helping the boards stay alive and healthy!

Bump, because this topic is important in helping the forums flurish.

I utalized this info to start a topic in the WoJ section giving Forum Members a way to easily buy books Jim recommends in such a way that the purchases benefit the forums.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline lovejoy69

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2011, 05:17:09 PM »
Thanks, Serack!  That's an excellent idea, putting the info in the WOJ section where folks are far more likely to see it. Lots and lots of forum members regularly check out your WOJ section much more frequently than this one.

If you may later be adding more "liked it a lot" books to those which you've already posted there, Jim named five favorites when NPR (National Public Radio) surveyed for which books should comprise their top 100 list.
Jim's post: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,26713.msg1138595.html#msg1138595.
   ===          ===

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2011, 06:03:37 PM »
Oh, I'm going to be doing a lot of work in that topic adding other recommendations (He's made a lot over the years.  I had to start somewhere, and it takes a bit of time for me to insert in the sheer volume of links and images.

Thanks for pointing that out for me though, I'll be sure to include those next.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2011, 01:59:32 AM »
I just did my first Amazon purchase with this method. It is only an 8 US transaction, but hopefully I will be doing more in the future. I am happy.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)