Author Topic: paying up for the forums  (Read 58724 times)

Offline sjsharks

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
paying up for the forums
« on: April 11, 2011, 11:40:29 PM »
I just read the post by Iago on the announcements page about supporting the prices for servers (I know I'm a little behind on the times) and I was wondering if there is any way I can get any proceeds from buying a book on my Kindle to go through to the forums.
And Chocolate is associated with love and love killed the Dinosaurs, you are a genius Sjsharks

TWCB-Dinosaurs

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Re: paying up for the forums
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2011, 12:13:07 AM »
Absolutely!

1.  Go to the book/Kindle book/CD/electronic device/foot massager and scroll down to the "Product Details" section
2.  Copy the ASIN -- it should be something like "045146365X"
3.  Click on the Amazon link for any item in our store.
4.  Replace the numeric value in the URL with your item's ASIN: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/045146365X/iagonet
5.  Go to that URL.  It should be identical to your item's product page, but the "iagonet" at the end is a tag that lets Amazon know we sent you.  Place your order from there.  You'll pay the same price as before, but Amazon will give us a small cut of the transaction.
6.  Bask in the knowledge that you're helping the boards stay alive and healthy!

Offline sjsharks

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2011, 12:17:45 AM »
This works for any item bought on Amazon right? So if I were to by a WoT book with this method the proceeds still help out here?

And is there any way to do it directly from my Kindle?
And Chocolate is associated with love and love killed the Dinosaurs, you are a genius Sjsharks

TWCB-Dinosaurs

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 12:46:38 AM »
This works for any item bought on Amazon right? So if I were to by a WoT book with this method the proceeds still help out here?

And is there any way to do it directly from my Kindle?

1.  Absolutely everything!  If you want to buy an exercise bike or a flat screen TV through Amazon, you can use this technique.

2.  Not that I'm aware of, no.

Offline Annie Wilkes

• Conversationalist
  • ooh shiny
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 02:55:26 PM »
Anyone know if buying through this link will work for us Brits too (don't see a reason why it shouldn't but I'm a compooter noob & it's all priced in $ which confused my tiny math brain ;D so better check!) If it doesn't is there any way we can donate to the cause from afar?
I have CDO it's like OCD except it's alphabetical. The way it should be.

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 03:26:04 PM »
I would also like to know if it works for us Europeans? And calculating $ into my currency is easy: 1$ is exactly 5 kunas :)
"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Offline Annie Wilkes

• Conversationalist
  • ooh shiny
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 03:28:37 PM »
*sighs* Why does everyone elses currency sound so much cooler than ours. Pounds. Boring! I want Sheckels or Bhat or Kunas!
I have CDO it's like OCD except it's alphabetical. The way it should be.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 06:36:32 PM »
No, we don't have a referral system with Amazon.uk or .ca--just Amazon.com.

Offline sjsharks

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 09:35:33 PM »

Although they should be able to reach the US Amazon and order through there, they would just have to pay a little more for shipping. I used to buy books from Amazon UK all the time

TWCB-Dinosaurs

Offline Icecream

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 09:39:36 PM »
1.  Absolutely everything!  If you want to buy an exercise bike or a flat screen TV through Amazon, you can use this technique.

2.  Not that I'm aware of, no.
Ahhhh why did no one tell me this? I order my textbooks through amazon.com and they cost quite a bit, is the amount that goes to the site based on a percentage of how much is spent ?

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 05:04:44 AM »
Could it work for other countries? I preordered GS for Kindle, but I probably will be buying another ebooks.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Ms Duck

• Needs A Life
  • Duck of The Black Court
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 06:08:24 AM »
this sounds realy neat, as I do buy stuff from amazon from time to tiem. it also sounds a bit on techy side. as a sugesting, would it be possibel to make a genric 'buy it from amazon thru us link'?
Yeah, but Germans and Hungarians don't pull people's theories out of their sockets when they're challenged.  Ducks are known to do that.

That's been disabled. But I can still CALL you Fup Duck. -Shecky

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 06:42:45 AM »
this sounds realy neat, as I do buy stuff from amazon from time to tiem. it also sounds a bit on techy side. as a sugesting, would it be possibel to make a genric 'buy it from amazon thru us link'?

That would be very useful, since the process sounds complicated. And I'm not really that good with computers ::)
"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Offline Lisa™

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 01:45:59 PM »

*Is sad*
Quote from: CrazyGerbilLady
Full Assed FTW!

Quote from: Snowleopard
I have a friend who'd say: "That sounds vaguely obscene and if there's anything I can't stand it's vagueness!"

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 02:07:38 PM »
In fact, it sounds a little complicated. I'll worry when I'll buy something, though.
But Duck's suggestion would be really useful, as many of us buy things in Amazon.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)