Author Topic: Demons!  (Read 3927 times)

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Demons!
« on: April 07, 2011, 05:23:39 PM »
OK, I am going to be doing conversions for several demons from various other RPGs into this system. The first is a conversion of a DnD marilith. And yeah, Mariliths are scary.

Marilith

High Concept: Six-Armed Demon Lady
Other Aspects: Ruinous Rage, Mortal Hunter, Relentless Attack
Skills:
Fantastic: Weapons, Discipline, Intimidate
Superb: Endurance, Might, Presence
Great: Athletics, Awareness, Conviction
Good: Lore, Survival, Fists
most other skills default to fair
Powers:
[-4] Supernatural Strength
[-4] Mythic Toughness (catch is powers and artifacts of Faith)
[-4] Demonic Immunity: demons of the Abyss are immune to lightning, poisons and disease. They do not need to eat, drink or sleep.
[-2] Eyes of Chaos: demons of the Abyss see things as they really are, as if they had The Sight. Unlike mortals using the same, they get no backlash.
[-1] True Strike
[-4] Many-Armed: a marilith has three pairs of functional arms. She may complete many physical activities where this would be helpful at 1/3 the time (1 step in the duration chart). She gets +2 to Might in grapples. She may take a penalty to attack additional targets within reach, at the rate of 1 per target, provided she uses a different hand (and different weapon, if any) per attack. When taking supplemental actions using only her hands (like drawing a weapon or manipulating a held item), she may take 2 additional such actions without further penalties.
[-1] Constriction: a marilith's tail is a great tool for grappling. When tagging an aspect to initiate a grapple, she can both initiate the grapple and get the +2 to her roll from the tag.
[-6] Teleportation: like all demons of the Abyss, a marilith can teleport. As a "sprint" action, she can move a number of zones as if she had supernatural speed and ignore intervening physical barriers - such as appearing into closed rooms or across ravines. She gets no added benefit of supernatural speed and thresholds and wards may still block her. Provided she knows a location well, she may make a discipline maneuver to focus and then use Teleportation to move to that location as if she had employed a Swift Transition power - though the location has to be on the same plane of existence.
[-5] Spell-Like Abilities: Force - a marilith can perform maneuvers, blocks and weapon 4 attacks at range by conjuring magical force, usually in blade-like projections. She rolls at Discipline+2. By taking a -2 penalty to her roll she may do so on an entire zone.
Stunts:
Footwork - for weapons
Mobility
Way of the Sword - +1 weapon rolls when using longswords and scimitars
Total Refresh Cost:

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Demons!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 05:27:25 PM »
I like the character, although I probably wouldn't let a PC take those custom powers.

I look forward to seeing more of this.

PS: I think you posted this to the wrong board.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2011, 12:27:05 PM »
Here is the Balrog, from Lord of the Rings. It is a terrifying opponent, sufficient to send a band of epic warriors, each of them capable of fighting dozens of normal enemies, into running without a fight. Of course poor old Gandalf, sans kid gloves, is the Balrog's equal.

The Balrog

High Concept: Demon of Might
Other Aspects: Ruinous Rage, Fire and Darkness, Swords Are Of No Use Here
Skills:
Epic: Endurance
Fantastic: Might, Weapons, Intimidate
Superb: Discipline, Presence, Conviction
Great: Lore, Awareness, Fists
Good: Athletics, Survival, Investigation
most other skills default to fair
Powers:
[-6] Mythic Strength
[-6] Legendary Toughness (catch is artifact weapons specifically made to fight the dark powers)
[-1] Hulking Size, modified by "human" form; Balrog are just above human-size but can grow if they so wish.
[-1] Shroud of Darkness; when not standing in broad daylight, Balrog take no penalties to stealth or being hit from Hulking Size.
[-5] Balrog are immune to fire, radiation, extreme pressure (including falling damage and most explosions) and metabolic hazards (such as poison/disease, starvation or suffocation). They take half effect from mortal weapons and magic. Non-mortal magic and artifacts affect them fully.
[-3] Maia Senses; all Maia (which Balrog are) can see and hear much farther than normal, sense Power and can see most things as they really are.
[-1] True Strike
[-1] Demon of Might; Balrog use Endurance as a defense vs physical and mental attacks and maneuvers
[-4] Fire of Udun; the zone a Balrog is in is immolated as if by a major forest fire, counting as a superb natural hazard. Weapons and natural attacks the Balrog wields deal an extra 2 fire damage.
[-5] Scion of Darkness; a Balrog can perform darkness-based maneuvers, blocks and attacks at range at his Intimidate+2 with weapon 2. If he limits the attack to only his own zone, he can perform zone-wide effects that affect all but itself.
Stunts:
Off-Hand Weapon Training
Swing for the Fences
Bend and Break
Mobility; reduce penalties from moving to melee combat by up to 2.
Swords Are No More Use Here; +2 bonus to defense against material attacks (but not maneuvers) such as blades, arrows, claws and fists.
Total Refresh Cost:
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 01:02:21 PM by Belial666 »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2011, 01:36:18 AM »
Still good stuff.

Still wrong board.

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2011, 05:04:17 PM »
Still good stuff.

Still wrong board.

I am not sure why it would be.  It is a resource that GMs might find useful to have several demons statted up.  Besides if it was a problem then a moderator would move it.
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2011, 12:03:33 AM »
I am not sure why it would be.  It is a resource that GMs might find useful to have several demons statted up.  Besides if it was a problem then a moderator would move it.

Read the second sticky thread on the Resource board.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2011, 02:42:20 AM »
MijRai beat me to the punch.

Anyway, I'd really like to have an uncluttered Resources board.

I'd also like to do something about the overlap/blank spaces between the current character threads. But that would require a massive amount of work.

PS: I'd be intrested to know how you came up with the cost for Fire Of Udun. I've been wanting to come up with a similar but more general power for a while.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2011, 03:59:25 AM »
Well, since this thread is here now, I say we just roll with it and start posting demon builds. :)
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 09:43:41 AM »
Sorry for posting this thread here guys. I really did not notice the second sticky thread.  :-[

As for "Fire of Udun", you'll notice that "Bless This House" is a -1 refresh power offering a 2-shift zone-wide constant effect that is not a direct attack or direct block. Seeing as environmental hazards have similarities to thresholds (in fact, thresholds work just like such hazards for spiritual creatures), I based the cost off "Bless this House" in the following way; -1 refresh for a 2-shift, zone-wide environmental hazard (as per "bless this house"). -1 refresh to remove the location limit (such as only within buildings, for thresholds). -1 refresh to shift the strength of the environmental hazard from "existing effect+2" to the Balrog's Conviction score. -1 refresh to add 2 shifts of fire damage to the Balrog's melee attacks.

Finally, I am hearing suggestions for more demon builds. I will probably do Kerrigan (from Starcraft) or Illyria (from Buffy/Angel) next.

Samael

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2011, 04:40:24 PM »
I'd love to see Sparda of Devil May Cry

Offline jadecourtflunky

• Conversationalist
  • "You are cattle" "Moo" (blows head off)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2011, 07:32:25 PM »
I don't think Kerrigan counts as a Demon. She's tough though... if anyone's ever played Starcraft 2, it takes a well-protected choke point to defeat her, which doesn't kill her, and she leaves it in shambles.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2011, 05:28:36 AM »
Sorry for posting this thread here guys. I really did not notice the second sticky thread.  :-[

I've done it twice myself - lost track of which forum I was in.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2011, 05:40:03 AM »
I don't think Kerrigan counts as a Demon. She's tough though... if anyone's ever played Starcraft 2, it takes a well-protected choke point to defeat her, which doesn't kill her, and she leaves it in shambles.

Well, the next-closest thing to a demon in-system is probably a corrupted zerg-protoss hybrid.

Nevertheless, I wouldn't mind seeing Kerrigan statted out.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2013, 05:52:28 AM »
Would anyone object if I were to move these demons onto the Generic NPC thread so that this thread can be removed from the Resources board?

This thread is old and dead and there's not much on it, so I'm not sure it's worth including here.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2013, 06:12:18 AM »
It's been roughly a week, so I'm going to go ahead with the move.

Not going to use the Generic NPC thread after all, though. The mythical creature thread feels more appropriate.

EDIT: And done.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2013, 06:22:30 AM by Sanctaphrax »