Author Topic: Can more than one focus item be used in the same evocation?  (Read 1357 times)

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Can more than one focus item be used in the same evocation?
« on: April 07, 2011, 12:46:07 AM »
Simple rules question:

Jimmy the Fire Mage is a Focused Practitioner with the [-2] Channeling (Fire) power.  He has two focus item slots.  Now, certainly, by the rules, he could make a single blasting rod with +1 Offensive Power and Control for Fire Evocations.  The Power and Control bonus would both apply to any offensive fire evocation he uses.

Now, let's say Jimmy is a bit odd and wants smaller foci... say a ring for his middle finger on each hand, so he can stylishly flip off his opponents while burning them to ashes.  The left hand ring has +1 Offensive Power for Fire Evocations, and the right hand ring has +1 Offensive Control for Fire Evocations.

So, can Jimmy give the finger to his opponents twice over and apply both foci bonuses to the same spell?

The reason I ask is that I was pondering the guidelines for focus item size relative to the number of invested slots, as well as various other concerns re: caster power level and exact rule interpretations.  Splitting your power and control bonuses between two different items and using them both simultaneously seems a handy way to avoid bumping up against the size limits.  Unless that's not allowed?

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Re: Can more than one focus item be used in the same evocation?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 12:56:35 AM »
The majority consensus is that you can use two focus items for both control and power, though using two focus item to boost power by itself or control by itself don't stack. 
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 01:51:25 AM »
Provided the bonuses don't stack (i.e. 2 +_ Offensive Power foci), I would allow multiple foci.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 02:15:17 AM »
The majority consensus is that you can use two focus items for both control and power, though using two focus item to boost power by itself or control by itself don't stack. 

This is the correct answer.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 11:32:38 PM »
As above.  Note that you also can't add together two overlapping specialization, either.  So, for example, if you had a specialization in Necromancy Control (thematic specialization) and another in Summoning Control (functional specialization) you couldn't combine them when summoning ghosts, even though the ritual falls under both specializations.  I *think* that you could use Necromancy Control in concert with Summoning Complexity for a suitable ritual.  (Even without Kemmlerian Necromancy.)