Author Topic: Air Magic Brainstorming  (Read 5888 times)

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Air Magic Brainstorming
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2011, 06:47:42 PM »
Wat?

The lightning shield makes sense to me but vaporize metal? That implies that the metal got so hot that it not only liquefied instantly but then turned into a vapor. The heat generated from such a reaction would be... AWESOME!

No seriously though I don't think metal vaporizes in any kind of survivable environment.

I couldn't think of any other way in which lightning would actually disable attacks. It might discourage someone from melee attacking you (if they are worried about stuff like lightning). And yes I'm aware that it would have to reach ridiculous temperatures to vaporize attacks, but it's magic.

Offline Delmorian

• Posty McPostington
  • The Pants are BACK Baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2011, 06:54:33 PM »
Note: None of my plans include Exploding anyones ANYTHING, If I want to use air magic to kill, i ZAP them with lightning. This is a thread about Creative uses of air.

1. What is a non-combat interesting way to use air magic?
Using a smoke bomb (those cheap, stinky ones from fire works in the grocery store) and controling air masses and currents to make floating objects (rings, boxes, puppets) in the air. More smoke bombs, more colors!!

2. What is a single target interesting way to use air magic?
Alter the O2 level in the Air around them, have them pass out from hypoxia, in a totaly normal space. Of course, you must let it up before they die... first law.

3. What is an area of effect interesting way to use air magic?
Vibrate the air in ultralow frequencies, creating the infrasonics and the fear effects that they induce.

4. What is an interesting way to block using air magic?
A dome vortex, any projectiles trying to come through would be spun off target. Likewise, if you invest the dome with a drop of your blood, it can draw a perfect circle for you very fast, with your essence, and you can seal that to protect with a circle.

5. What would be an interesting way to impede someones movement with air magic?
Single Person: wrap their feet in a field, that is mated with the ground, allowing no air to rush in when they lift their foot. Their feet are trapped by the power of the vacuum. SCIENCE!!
Crowds: Crate a Disk/field/dome of Air in which you Sort the air molecules, Hydrogen on the Outside followed by Oxygen, Behind that, use the remaining less explosive elements to create a barrier, to shape the eventual blast, when someone tries to break the wall with fire magic, or gunfire. (ok, this one is kinda explosive)

6.Can you think of anything else that would fit the Dresdenverse and be really neat in a game for air magic?
Using the link of similarity magic, create a poppet of your self, and put is somewhere safe that you control. They you can use what measures, either pepper spray, hard vacuum, flooding an area with CO2 or whatever, knowing that YOU are drawing your breath from the safe space where your poppet is located.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 06:58:34 PM by Delmorian »
* Funny post quote that remains constantly relavant *

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2011, 07:38:10 PM »
Vibrate the air in ultralow frequencies, creating the infrasonics and the fear effects that they induce.

This is an awesome idea, and potentially a way to use magic in social combat.

A dome vortex, any projectiles trying to come through would be spun off target. Likewise, if you invest the dome with a drop of your blood, it can draw a perfect circle for you very fast, with your essence, and you can seal that to protect with a circle.

I could swear that there's something somewhere about not being able to use magic (in this case the air evocation) to help you perform magic (like the thaumaturgic creation of a circle) because they interfere with each other, but at this point I couldn't care less because this sounds awesome. I'm getting some pretty amazing ideas now for a brutal air/spirit/water warden.

Offline PapaBear

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2011, 03:54:56 AM »
1. What is a non-combat interesting way to use air magic?
Create various kinds of gasses. Laughing gas, hypnotic gas, gas that incites rage, etc.

2. What is a single target interesting way to use air magic?
Disperse the kinetic energy of a single projectile using the "movement" factor of air magic.

An oxidation field. I don't really know what this would do, though. Metal would rust, but what would happen to other objects? And would a field with an hyper enhanced rate of oxidation be lethal to humans or any organic life?

Also, thinning the air so that it becomes hard to breathe. Targets faint, and you can set about dealing with them as you please. 'Course, this assumes that your target needs to breathe to begin with.

A series of hard air plates or blocks that are angled so that deflect attacks instead of taking them head on. Alternatively, using the "movement" factor of air magic, create a shield that alters the path of objects so they miss you. Kinetic redirection.

5. What would be an interesting way to impede someones movement with air magic?
Make the air really thick, so its like moving in water or a block of soft clay.

Or release a number of balls that are compressed air. When someone touches it, the ball burst knocking back the person. No real damage dealt though.

6.Can you think of anything else that would fit the Dresdenverse and be really neat in a game for air magic?
EDIT: I'm becoming fascinated with the idea of giving air solid properties. Like the thick air idea. Or set up a number of invisible hard air spikes in an area. Or a globe of clay-like air. Watery air, sticky snot-like air, chewy rubbery air, etc.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 04:15:36 AM by PapaBear »

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2011, 04:05:09 AM »
An oxidation field. I don't really know what this would do, though. Metal would rust, but what would happen to other objects? And would a field with an hyper enhanced rate of oxidation be lethal to humans or any organic life?

Fire being a common example of particularly rapid oxidation...this could end badly.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2011, 08:19:13 AM »
Use air magic to make FOOF, put FOOF into dust devil, send far far away, watch fireworks.

Offline ryanshowseason2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2011, 01:19:16 PM »
Use air magic to make FOOF, put FOOF into dust devil, send far far away, watch fireworks.

You're crazy, as soon as it was created it'd probly explode or break down, it CAN explode at disgustingly low sub zero temperatures... Room temperature it might just break down but if it exploded... HAHAHAHAHA.

I mean it can put out around 1200 BTUs which is about comparable to a space heater. But thats per FOOF. So if you created even just a single raindrop of it you're talking sand to glass temperatures.

So considering that evocation has to be within eyesight of whatever you're doing... I hope you have physical immunity to heat.

Offline Delmorian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 01:56:26 PM »
You're crazy, as soon as it was created it'd probly explode or break down, it CAN explode at disgustingly low sub zero temperatures... Room temperature it might just break down but if it exploded... HAHAHAHAHA.

I mean it can put out around 1200 BTUs which is about comparable to a space heater. But thats per FOOF. So if you created even just a single raindrop of it you're talking sand to glass temperatures.

So considering that evocation has to be within eyesight of whatever you're doing... I hope you have physical immunity to heat.

Actually, if you combine this concept with the "Control the random motion of air molecules in a gaseous state" idea that someone suggested to knock out targets, FOOF can only react if it has OTHER reactants, otherwise it just breaks down. So, use the air control to create a hard vacuum, and add in a jot of Fire elemental control, to draw away enough heat to keep it below 168º and you should be ok... Possibly use the energy from the stolen heat, to to power the hard vacuum spell. Ooooooo, this would be an AMAZING booby trap.
A ceremonial circle, with delicately balanced items contained their in, part of the structure of the spell. In the center of the circle, a 10 oz of FOOF, levitated inside the super cold hard vacuum... over a block of ice. If anyone breaks any of the spell trip lines you lay out, then the spell is broken, canceling the vacuum and dropping it on the ice... BOOM!!!

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2011, 02:26:20 PM »
For those of you without much chemistry background, the stuff is about as reactive as anti-matter, coming into contact with just about anything will make it explode, and it does so at even very low temperatures, which normally inhibit other sorts of explosives from going off.  Thankfully, the 433 kcal reaction (4 O2F2 + H2S -> 2 HF + 4 O2 + SF6) listed in the article seems to be per mol and not per 5 molecules.  That makes the reaction something like 5-6 times as explosive as TNT, but not comparable to spitting the atom.

Also, the HF given off by the reaction is also toxic and corrosive, so the fun doesn't end with your massive explosion either.

Offline Chris_Fougere

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 05:39:07 PM »

That`s a great idea.  Unfortunately when I saw this my mind went right to The Brown Note ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown_note).

Perfectly valid for a maneuver though:)

Offline Delmorian

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 06:40:52 PM »
... I have to admit, this "fear Sound" idea was "inspired" by a Fan Fic... Worse yet a CROSSOVER Fan Fic. It is on the Fanfic.net website called Higher Steaks, and is Dresden/BtVS fic. Molly used this trick in supporting Dresden, Carlos, and Buffy vs. the creations of a Bio-Shaper Worlock.

Don't Hate Me...
I am weak, and in need of a Dresden fix.

However, I can recomend several of the ideas I have seen in fic's on that site including:

One-Man-Rave: Light and sound enough to incapacitate centered around one person (one of molly's combat spells)

Using air to enhance her voice to Ultra and Infra sonic ranges.

More recently, she has been masquerading as Hairy in another story, to keep him "alive" in the council's eyes and prevent the Doom of Damocles being dropped on her now master-less head. Illusion is one of her strengths in that story.

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 07:39:44 PM »
That`s a great idea.  Unfortunately when I saw this my mind went right to The Brown Note

Everyone needs a good bowel disruptor.  Who says you can't inflict social stress with magic without breaking the Laws?
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline ryanshowseason2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 12:55:53 PM »
Everyone needs a good bowel disruptor.  Who says you can't inflict social stress with magic without breaking the Laws?

Player: But thats ridiculous!
Me: I don't care. now roll not to crap your pants.

This will go over real well. I can't wait to use it.

Offline Vryce

• Conversationalist
  • You suck. You suck diseased moose wang, Marcone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2011, 04:31:34 PM »
social stress + 10
you die from embarrassment
Prey is Prey.  The fact it is human, in this case, does not make it any more difficult.  Intellect, Like instinct can be anticipated, manipulated…

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2011, 01:49:21 PM »
Thank you for the post about FOOF,

Its been a while since I laughed that hard about chemistry.