Author Topic: DFRPG Character Calculator & Sheet (LibreOffice/OpenOffice Spreadsheet)  (Read 13799 times)

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
Here's a little something i've been working on. It has grown and developed since i've started with the Dresden RPG, and i think it has matured enough to let it loose on the public.

Download -> DFRPG CharCalc Spreadsheet <- Download

Open Document Spreadsheet created in LibreOffice
Use LibreOffice, OpenOffice and the like to open.

Used Fonts:
Preston Script - Used on Sheets
Bank Gothic - Used on Sheets
Zhayad - Used on Sheets (ornamental purposes only)
Another one is Calibri. Follow the link to see how to get it. Only used in the Backend, so really not necessary.

Printout Sheets are formatted for A4 Paper.

On "popular" Demand
XLS Version or the Spreadsheet
This is simply the ODS version saved in XLS Format. Hence No Guaranties on Functionality !!
No Bugfixes. No seperate developement.
If there's someone out there who wants to build an Excel sheet based on this... go ahead.

Table Descriptions:

"Backend" for all the basics (Aspects, Skills, Powers, Stunts, Stress, Consequences)
Those are outputted on the various Sheets (Standart, Were-Form, the Short variants of both, and the Text Sheet)
All powers from YS and some of the Stunts (not all yet), as well as some homemade ones are in there. On how to add more see the notes on "tables"

"Magic Stuff" for the Spellcasting parts (Evocation/Channeling, Thaumaturgy/Ritual, Foci, Enchanted Items, Rotes)
Magic Stuff is currently outputted on the background table, this is subject to change.

"Background" is a table that is both a Backend and Output.

"tables" contains all the background tables needed for calculations.
This is also where you can add additional Power-Levels as well as Thaumaturgy and Evocation Specializations. (Just type them into the blue areas)
The same goes for new Stunts or Powers, that you want to be able to select via Dropdown menu, you just type them into the blue areas.
If the predefined lines are not enough, you can simply insert more.

I think i have managed to make it fairly self explanatory. If anything is unclear, just ask.

Ok, can't think of anything more to write right now.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 04:52:48 PM by Tsunami »

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: OpenOffice Character Calculator Sheet
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2011, 03:49:17 PM »
For some reason Excel 2007 won't open it - Excel 2007 appears to have the option to open .ODS files, but gives a warning about potential file corruption.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2011, 04:29:52 PM by devonapple »
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline ryanshowseason2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2011, 04:02:34 PM »
For some reason Excel 2007 won't open it - it appears to be able to take this file format, but gives a warning about potential file corruption.

This is an open office file type I believe. Lucky for you though open office is free!

I took a look, SO MANY SHEETS!

Also it would be nice to have one that didn't have the werewolf stuff on it. Physical immunity is missing, and was there an entry for the catch? I like how it fills in the descriptions for everything. Oooh and how the skills disappear from the lest as you select them.

It would be great to have a section with modified trappings like defense and initiative. And also the powers and stunts seem so far apart when scrolling through them

Still though this is an awesome contribution to the community and the only one of its kind I've seen so far. Congratulations are in order.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2011, 06:42:34 PM »
For some reason Excel 2007 won't open it - Excel 2007 appears to have the option to open .ODS files, but gives a warning about potential file corruption.
Sorry about that, I don't use MS Office at all, so i can't test for compatibility.
And converting spreadsheets is always a bit of a game of chance. I guess if you really want to use it you'll have to get OpenOffice.

I took a look, SO MANY SHEETS!

Also it would be nice to have one that didn't have the werewolf stuff on it.
I've updated the sheet. It now has a checkboc that lets you hide the Were-Form Skill Block on the Backend. You'll need to allow macros in the sheet for it to work.

Physical immunity is missing,
Added.

and was there an entry for the catch?
I've added entries for the Catch and the Stacked Catch.
I didn't bother before because they serve no real purpose, since the description and cost are different each time.
So the entries are there now, but they provide no automatic description or cost.

I like how it fills in the descriptions for everything. Oooh and how the skills disappear from the lest as you select them.
Yeah, nifty ain't it ? :-)

It would be great to have a section with modified trappings like defense and initiative.
The number of variables is way to high there. Stunts can move trappings around so much that it's basically impossible to really keep track of all changes.
It's easier to just do that by hand and note them somewhere.

And also the powers and stunts seem so far apart when scrolling through them
Hmmm.... hadn't noticed that before, and i really have no idea why it's the case. I'll look into it.

Still though this is an awesome contribution to the community and the only one of its kind I've seen so far. Congratulations are in order.
Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2011, 07:08:34 PM »
Sorry about that, I don't use MS Office at all, so i can't test for compatibility.

No problem! Just an inquiry to see if anyone who *does* has Excel was able to load it.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 03:45:56 PM »
Um, there doesn't appear to be any stunts listed for Performance, Presence, Rapport, Resources, or Scholarship.

Richard

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 04:40:34 PM »
Um, there doesn't appear to be any stunts listed for Performance, Presence, Rapport, Resources, or Scholarship.

Richard
Thanks for the hint.
The Link was to an older version. I've updated it, and now there should be a few stunts listed for each skill. The ones from YS and in some cases some homemade ones.

Try again now.  ;)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 12:44:36 AM »
Cool stuff. Not sure how I missed it when it was first released.

Can't say much about it because I lack Open Office.

Still, thanks for doing this.

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 04:25:43 AM »
Can't say much about it because I lack Open Office.

Grab a copy, it's free.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline chelatek

• Participant
  • Hay guys what's going on in this thread
    • View Profile
Re: DFRPG Character Calculator & Sheet (LibreOffice/OpenOffice Spreadsheet)
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2011, 07:22:46 PM »
Thanks for this, but could you please save it as an XLS format? I know OO can do it because I do have OO, but I know a lot of people don't.

Asking people to install a special piece of software is a bit much. Blame MS for not supporting the format.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2011, 07:48:36 PM »
Its not a bit much to ask for some one who is voluntarily providing a useful free tool to others out of sheer goodwill. If they don't want to use it they don't need to download anything.
Your comment could have been left as a simple request with you saying you know the program is capable of it. The "its a bit much to ask" just puts me off. He put his effort out there for people to use. It is up to them if they want to put in the effort to use it.

I apologize if this seems hostile that isn't my intent. I have tried to reword it without success at erasing a tone I don't mean it to have.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 08:35:39 PM »
It would be a bit much to ask. But Tsunami isn't really asking it. It's not like he's saying we have to use this.

As for myself, I encountered some trouble downloading Open Office and gave up.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 09:16:10 PM »
Thanks for this, but could you please save it as an XLS format? I know OO can do it because I do have OO, but I know a lot of people don't.

Asking people to install a special piece of software is a bit much. Blame MS for not supporting the format.
I'm not asking anyone to do anything *g* I just provided what i have, and what i know works. If someone doesn't want to install OO, that's their prerogative.

Sure i can save this as an XLS... but i can't guarantee that it'll actually work in MS Office then. Because MS sucks when it comes to compatibility. Especially Macros... and there are some in the File.

And i like supporting Free Software, and free file formats...

But if someone really needs an XLS version to try and run in MS, let me know and I'll put one up. I won't be bugfixing it if it doesn't work though.
chelatek, you don't count for needing an XLS... you have OO  ;D

@Polka: Whoa, easy tiger!  :) I'm really more amused than offended *g*

@Sancta: You should be using LibreOffice now at any rate  ;) OO is about to go the way of the Dinosaurs... probably.

Edit: Decided to put one up. If it works, fine. If not... tough luck  ;) XLS Version - No support
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 09:18:10 PM by Tsunami »

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2011, 09:37:33 PM »
Honestly, it should be fairly easy to implement as a webpage too.  Witness me completely failing to volunteer to do so at this time though.  I'm still busy slacking over finishing a script to output npc entries formatted for the wiki.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline JediDresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2011, 10:59:08 PM »
OO seems to work just fine for me.  However I think something might be wrong with the Focus Item calculator.  I tried putting in a focus item that gives me a offensive control and a defensive control bonus on the backend sheet.  When I was looking at the background sheet it read '+1 off. control, +1 Def Power' instead of 'Def Control'.  Other than that it works great.

Thanks for the sheet!