Author Topic: Emotional Vampire <--> Incite Emotion interactions  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Emotional Vampire <--> Incite Emotion interactions
« on: March 26, 2011, 04:24:05 AM »
In pursuing this thread, a few questions came up about the interactions of the powers Emotional Vampire (YS189) and Incite Emotion (YS172-173).

1) If a character possessing Incite Emotion has the At Range upgrade and Emotional Vampire, can the character feed at range, as well, with the 'do both in the same action, with one roll' clause of Emotional Vampire?

2) If a character possesses Emotional Vampire and Incite Emotion, but not the Lasting Emotion upgrade, what sorts of consequences should they be inflicting upon their victims from a combined incite+feed action?
2b) Of particular importance, should such consequences be capable of counting as the emotion being in place in subsequent exchanges?
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Emotional Vampire <--> Incite Emotion interactions
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 06:45:23 AM »
I would probably say no to the Feeding at Range.  While I don't think the rules are specific on it, ranged feeding has never been observed in the books, while ranged Incite Emotion has.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 01:11:49 PM »
1) No. Feeding requires touch and the "at range" upgrade only upgrades Incite Emotion.

2) Use the Incite roll as the feeding's psychological attack and apply stress and/or consequences from that.
2b) Yes.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 08:04:03 PM »
1) No. Feeding requires touch and the "at range" upgrade only upgrades Incite Emotion.

That's what I've been leaning towards, even just from a strict reading, but I wanted some input from the boards.

2) Use the Incite roll as the feeding's psychological attack and apply stress and/or consequences from that.

That part is pretty clear just from the text.  What I meant was, a flamethrower is going to be inflicting consequences with a 'burned' theme, a knife is going to be inflicting consequences with a 'stabbed' or 'sliced' theme.  What sort of theme does a consequence have when the stress is coming solely from the feeding, and not from the inciting (even though they're both using the same roll)?

2b) Yes.

The (potential) problem that I see with that is that it removes (most of) the incentive to invest in Lasting Emotion, as a +2 to attack (using Incite Emotion for a maneuver) is almost always better than a +2 to damage.  Further, not only do you not lose out on damage, then, but you're also getting a maneuver that you can tag on the next turn, and will almost assuredly be sticky.

In the absence of Potent Emotion (a +4 to damage actually having a meaningful competitive chance against +2 to attack), then, Lasting Emotion seems to be a downgrade in almost all circumstances, with the only possible consistent exception being At Range
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 08:24:28 PM »
Emotional Vampire is a power with a negative refresh so you would expect it to be off some use, actually as power go it is pretty strong but I suppose that is because most creatures with that power would allso have feeding dependancy. What I have never got is the +1 for the roll of feeding when you can get a plus +2 just by feeding in conjunction with incite emotion or are only the dice rolls the same so the manouvre will be at +2 above the feeding roll?  
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 08:39:21 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2011, 11:23:49 PM »
I'd say feeding directly like that would cause fatigue.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2011, 05:38:09 PM »
I'd say feeding directly like that would cause fatigue.

That makes sense. I might also consider Consequences which point to lowered inhibitions or discrimination, increased suggestibility or gullibility. Ultimately the victim is losing life energy, so fatigue is the primary consequence. But other psychological consequences may give players a chance to get a better handle on what the WCV is doing.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets