Author Topic: Need help thinking of a catch for an Emissary of the Erlking  (Read 1755 times)

Offline Fenrir423

• Participant
    • View Profile
Need help thinking of a catch for an Emissary of the Erlking
« on: March 27, 2011, 08:43:53 PM »
There's a character in my group whose concept and high concept are Huntsman of the Erlking (because when our group does things, we don't half ass it) and in the spirit of the Winter and Summer Knight's swords from Our World he has an IoP elephant gun that gives him some Speed and Toughness powers. Problem is me (and the group as a whole, really) is having trouble figuring out a catch for him. The Knights have "Trappings of (opposite) Court" but nothing really fits with that (
(click to show/hide)
). Help me DFRPG boards, you're my only hope.

Offline Marganma

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Need help thinking of a catch for an Emissary of the Erlking
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 08:47:42 PM »
Cold Iron usually works as a catch for faerie-type Powers.

I think it could work especially well against the Erlking, since he is such a wild and uncivilised creature, and cold iron is a symbol of the civilizing power of man over nature.
>>>Building site. Soon there we be a signature. We apologize for any inconvenience due to noises and lights.<<<

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 08:48:08 PM »
Vegans ;D
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 08:50:20 PM »
Tofu!
Bad typists untie!!!!

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 09:29:02 PM »
There's a character in my group whose concept and high concept are Huntsman of the Erlking (because when our group does things, we don't half ass it) and in the spirit of the Winter and Summer Knight's swords from Our World he has an IoP elephant gun that gives him some Speed and Toughness powers. Problem is me (and the group as a whole, really) is having trouble figuring out a catch for him.
I'd suggest using blindness (temporary or not) as the catch.  After all, in myth you covered your eyes* to avoid the bad karma / being caught when the hunt rode past.  Blindness is both research-able and easy to come by (just cover your eyes) so probably a +2 or even +3 catch - depending on just how often you want to use it in game.   

*From the wikipedia article:  "Seeing the Wild Hunt was thought to presage some catastrophe such as war or plague, or at best the death of the one who witnessed it. Mortals getting in the path of or following the Hunt could be kidnapped and brought to the land of the dead. A girl who saw Wild Edric's Ride was warned by her father to put her apron over her head to avoid the sight."
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Team8Mum

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Shattered Realities PBW restart
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 09:30:58 PM »
may be there is something you could use around being called to a hunt.
perhaps his powers only work when he is actively hunting and perusing something and not when he is the prey -
that woudl be a pretty evil catch, as it would leave him vulnerable when he probably needs it most, but it would fit with the whole idea of the wild hunt aspect, and parallel the trappings of the opposing court concept.
Erlking has no time for those who are the stag he is chasing...
I would HATE to be a character in one of the stories I write -
and then there are the days when it looks too much like I AM!

Offline Fenrir423

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 10:17:18 PM »
The blind thing and the being prey one sound good. I'll bring those up with the player, see which he likes better and fine tune them.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 11:45:28 PM »
If they are blind however, are they going to be able to fight?

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2011, 11:49:47 PM »

Not effectivly but you can still shoot with your eyes closed.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 12:16:54 AM »
Mechanically, I'd run it as a declaration of I'm Covering My Eyes or equivalent.  Opponents will almost certainly invoke for effect / compel at which point they can use Stealth or possibly even Athletics to set up a block against targeting.  The 'blind' attackers will need to set up declarations (I'm Listening), maneuvers (Flanked), use terrain / zone borders (move into the hall), and possibly invoke a few of their own aspects to break through the block and hit. 

Basically, you give yourself a disadvantage and set up the situation to help overcome it.  It's worth noting, the attackers probably get at least one fate point by self compelling (or being compelled) the Not Looking declaration.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer