Author Topic: Sources of Inspiration  (Read 2174 times)

Offline Eldritch Donut

• Participant
    • View Profile
Sources of Inspiration
« on: March 16, 2011, 10:51:37 PM »
What do you use when you're looking for an angle on a character or a monster to build?

I try to use Wikipedia and look up folklore for monster ideas.

I also recently came across this site...
http://www.monstropedia.org/monster/Main_Page - Monsterpedia! And it looks like it has some good information.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Sources of Inspiration
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 11:11:58 PM »
I ask the forum for suggestions and requests when I'm just looking for general inspiration.

I use wikipedia, monstropedia, and other RPGs when there's something specific I want to build.

Offline Mal_Luck

• Posty McPostington
  • The Trope Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 11:41:45 PM »
I'm a TVTropes addict and use it regularly.
DV Mal_Luck v1.2 YR3 FR1 BK++++ RP++++ JB TH(+++) WG(-) CL SW(+) BC(++) MC(--) SH [Molly+++ Murphy++]

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 02:29:15 AM »
I'm a TVTropes addict and use it regularly.
Seconded.  "Hi, I'm Joe and it's been six hours since..."
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 11:25:21 AM »
I shamelessly rip off characters from other sources.  It lends an easy roleplaying hook if I know an NPC villain is played by Vinnie Jones, for example.  For monsters, I have two books of local ghost stories, the Supernatural book that was like John Winchester's journal, any number of horror movies, Our World, and the internet.  Most of the time I come at it thinking of what kind of challenge I want to throw at the PCs and THEN figure out a monster that can do that. 

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 12:49:05 PM »
Buffy.
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline ryanshowseason2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 02:44:50 PM »
Buffy.
Shame.

I find I like very non conventional monsters stuff that really catches players off guard with it's oddity. Anime coming from a culture not close to my own tends to have some off the wall creatures and concepts that I sometimes shamelessly use or adapt.

The magic system of "Darker Than Black" is an interesting take on sponsored magic, where the sponsor only requires that the recipient perform a very strange and specific "remuneration" to be able to use their equally strange and specific power. I recall one char that had to break his own fingers in order to make things ignore gravity to achieve a levitation like effect. Another had to drink the blood of children to create instant space like vacuums. There were lighter tone ones like eating cheeseburgers for super speed or dog earing all the pages in a book for wind like magic. But the dark ones caught my eye, especially since they don't make any sense and the chars who have them are just as clueless as to why as anyone else, this and moreover they were just kind of stuck with these powers randomly without asking.

So yeah Japan and the weird stuff it churns out is great material.

Also native american folklore has some truly terrifying ideas sometimes, a lot of them are generic but some are just... scary especially the ones that seem to have a foothold in reality. Case in point Wendigo. Both considered a monster and an affliction. Apparently the monster would call to you in a mind control kind of way and make you crave human flesh, you were then a Wendigo yourself. When Wendigo ate humans they gain their size and become bigger, thus increasing their appetite. This effect made it so that a Wendigo would starve even as it gorged itself endlessly, an uncontrollable hunger making it constantly hunt for humans.

Now the scary part, there are many a documented case of native americans inexplicably cannibalizing their fellows and claiming that they were Wendigo. Often times they would ask to be killed to stop themselves, which tells me they really did believe it and weren't just trying to get away with crime. One case involved a man who ate his family wife and 2 kids even when he could have gotten food reasonably easily. This strange Wendigo phenomena seems to have disappeared nowadays but... s*** man that is creepy.

So yeah monsters rooted in reality make for good nightmare fuel. I like to show my players the real world stuff too, that really changes the atmosphere of a session.

Offline Remy Sinclair

• Participant
  • I am the calm then I am the storm!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2011, 04:41:46 PM »
I have books on Superstitions and Legends.

No matter what City you are running your game there are always many books about the Macbre to Monsters to Ghosts in the area.

You can find various places on the internet that cover it. I know a few professional writers on their own blogs thanking the Wikipedias for ideas.

Other RPGs work as well. White Wolf especially the Begone Beastry, D&D no matter what version, Legend of the Five Rings, the Supernatural RPG, Buffy RPG etc.

Also movies and books. Some people have some great ideas for the Dresdenverse that are not Jim Butcher.

It all depends on what you want.

Offline Eldritch Donut

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2011, 11:10:01 PM »
Great sites and info. Always fun to know what others are drawing from.

Offline Cyberchihuahua

• Conversationalist
  • Lft. WMC_Cyberchihuahua
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 02:26:41 AM »
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 02:30:26 AM by Cyberchihuahua »
Moo!

DV Cyberchihuahua V1.2 YR5 FR4 BK++ RP++ JB- TH+ WG++ CL SW+ BC- MC---- SH [Murphy++]   currently...

No Changes, know peace! Know Changes, no peace!

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 08:44:52 PM »
Wow. Thank you, Cyberchihuahua.

I think I might just start using that site for inspiration myself.

Offline rpmarsh

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 08:48:15 PM »
I grab monsters from other games like Esoterrorist and the Book of Unremitting Horror. Then I take settings and organizations from In Dark Alleys and a Fate Worst than Death. Finally rename them, change enough to make it mine, and send them against my players.