Author Topic: Can Stunts affect Magic?  (Read 1191 times)

Offline The Codex

• Participant
    • View Profile
Can Stunts affect Magic?
« on: March 15, 2011, 11:43:53 PM »
So I have been thinking can Mortal stunts effect magic cast. The reason this has come up was fro
 Two of my players who are focused practioners.

One is a Pictomancer and the other a pyromancer.

Here are the questions

Pictomancer: can I use crafting (for magic paintings) instead of lore, so functions like a trapping change.
Pyromancer: can I use a stunt like "angry youth" to power attacks but only when my anger is fueling my pyromancy attack (power)

What do people think ?

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: Can Stunts affect Magic?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 11:47:17 PM »
Pyromancer: can I use a stunt like "angry youth" to power attacks but only when my anger is fueling my pyromancy attack (power)

That sounds like an Aspect that you can Invoke to improve your pyromancy rolls. In fact, that has Aspect written all over it. Besides, how do you plan to *really* distinguish whether or not "angry youth" is coming up? You are better off spending Refresh on Refinements to improve your rolls with Pyromancy.

Pictomancer: can I use crafting (for magic paintings) instead of lore, so functions like a trapping change.

To what end? What trapping are you going to change?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 11:50:11 PM by devonapple »
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: Can Stunts affect Magic?
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 12:09:57 AM »
I created a character that is a martial arts/wizard mix who uses fists to cast spells. The reason behind this is, that he is using the moves he learned from his training to focus his mental energy and create the effects he wants. Of course those effects mostly require him to be able to touch the target. I did this by giving him a stunt that lets him use fists instead of discipline for casting spells, if he can touch his target, simple as that. He is greatly limited in "normal" spellcasting of course.

However, if you want to replace the lore skill, that is going to be tricky, because it is the skill that let's you know how magic works. As I understand it, you want to use it for thaumaturgic rituals, and if you limit it to that, I don't see a reason not to do it. You can argue, that the characters wizard senses are tuned to colors and forms, so he can see the magic as patterns of colors he can create or change. Preparing a thaumaturgic ritual would not only consist on gathering materials, but also creating paint out of that material. So it would be a stunt (or much rather an addition to a supernatural power) that allows you to use crafting instead of lore for thaumaturgic rituals. You should also take an artists stunt to represent your expertise in that area.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile