Author Topic: Constant Compels from Certain Maneuvers?  (Read 1644 times)

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Constant Compels from Certain Maneuvers?
« on: March 17, 2011, 02:59:57 AM »
Apologies if this has been covered already, my brief search didn't turn up an answer.

Here's the situation.  The hero applies the aspect "Disarmed" to a villain with a maneuver.  Next round, let's say I Compel the Disarmed aspect so the villain can't use their (much higher than their Fists) Weapons skill.  Makes sense; their chainsaw or whatever is over there and not in their hands.  Next round, do I simply compel the villain again?  It seems kind of weird for such a maneuver to result in a FP fountain.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Constant Compels from Certain Maneuvers?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2011, 03:36:06 AM »
You're not compelling them to be unable to use their Weapons skill.  You're compelling them to have their weapon on the ground over there.  At which point they have to take an action (possibly supplemental, if you're being lenient) to retrieve it, removing the temporary aspect.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2011, 04:07:13 AM »
In addition when you introduce a compel, that compel remains in effect until it makes sense for it to change. So when you compel the villain in this case he would be unable to use a weapon until he can remove the aspect.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2011, 04:09:53 AM »
And taking any action that WOULD then allow him to use a weapon (drawing a new one, retrieving the previous one, conjuring one from thin air, etc.) would be reasonably argued to remove the aspect.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 11:21:17 AM »
Ah, thanks guys.  The way it was working out in my head seemed off, and it turns out it was.  :)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 02:43:49 PM »
Now, keep in mind, depending on the situation, a PC may be able to keep opposing the opponent's skill check to remove the Aspect (kicking the gun away, for instance). *And* the PC may be able to follow up that Disarm maneuver with a Social Attack to get the opponent to surrender, and with a Fate Point, tag that Disarmed Aspect for a bonus. Heck, with a Fate Point, they may be able to trigger a Compel.

But this doesn't change the answer which folks have already given.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets