Author Topic: Help me out? Please?  (Read 1952 times)

Offline vladmirfox

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Help me out? Please?
« on: December 03, 2014, 06:53:58 PM »
Umm hello all my name is Lyndsey and I recently picked up the two DFRPG books in pdf format. What all do I need to know about to play this game? I own and have read all of the books including skin game so there that if it will help. Pretty much what am asking is well please help a newbie find out what's going on please.

Offline PirateJack

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Help me out? Please?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2014, 07:27:03 PM »
Hey Lyndsey, welcome to the forum.

All you need to get started is the Your Story rulebook and an idea for what you want the campaign to be (also friends).

Just give the rules a quick run through before you start setting up your campaign so that you're ready to answer questions from the players during city/character creation.
Quote from: JoeC
"Why are you banging your head against the wall?
'cause it feels sooooo good when I stop..."

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 07:48:44 PM »
Welcome!

Building off what PirateJack said, there will be questions from all parties. This isn't like D&D, although if you've played any Fate-based games you've already got a leg up.

I'd also recommend reading Rick Neal's blog for the DFRPG play test and articles he wrote covering the rules. It helped me wrap my head around some concepts. If you run into something you need help answering, just reach out to the board. There will probably be 5 different interpretations of the rules, but we'll give you options.

Rick Neal's DFRPG Playtest Samples
Rick Neal's DFRPG Articles

Good luck!
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline vladmirfox

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 08:24:34 PM »
What all in involved in world building/character creation? The only experience I have is running a few one shot campaigns for dungeons and dragons. Are there set templates for everything or is it more abstract and not overly number crunchy?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 08:41:04 PM »
1) Get the RPG books.
2) Read the RPG books.
3) Get very confused and come to the Forum. (You are here. ;) )
4) Read the Sample Combat and get a bit less confused.

After that, it's really a hands on process. Fate is very hard to learn dry, but gets really easy once you see it in action. There's a "Newbies ask the darnest things" thread, and that's only the most recent of its kind. You can either add to that or open your own thread for questions you have specific to you and your game, if you like. As bobjob said though, you'll get a lot of different opinions, because the game can be played in a number of different ways. In the end, you'll have to find your own.

What all in involved in world building/character creation? The only experience I have is running a few one shot campaigns for dungeons and dragons. Are there set templates for everything or is it more abstract and not overly number crunchy?
Pretty abstract. Some people like to build their city entirely before they play, others set up the characters and put things in when they come up. Others do both.

If you go for a oneshot to try things out, I would go with something ready made, either by yourself or use one of the premade adventures. Especially "Neutral Grounds" or "Night Fears are designed as beginners adventures.

Once you've got a feel for it, it'll be easier to determine what you'll need in your group.

I know this is all very vague, but it heavily depends on the group, so the best you'll get is a help to help yourself. ;)
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline sdfds68

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 11:55:45 PM »
The play by post section of this board has plenty of examples of the game in action. One of the best is the Cradle of Darkness game found at these links.
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,28668.0.html In character
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,28667.0.html Out of character

Play-by-Post:http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/board,32.0.html

Offline MadAlchemist

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 06:41:51 AM »

There are templates, but they are not particularly important. They represent the minimum starting powers all of a certain type of Dresdenverse "class" needs. All Wizards have The Sight+Soulgaze, Evocation, Thaumaturgy and Wizard's Constitution. Otherwise they don't make it into the White Council and few other people would take them seriously if they called themselves a Wizard. Elaine uses the Wizard template even though she is not a member of the Council, ect.
The game is definitely more cooperative, both between the GM and players and in the party.
Aspects are a very weird mechanic until you get comfortable. Don't worry, they are your best friend once you get the hang of it. They do not all need to be awesomely creative, just descriptive.
The setting's version of the 'assist other' action is 'passing tags'. If your players are getting frustrated by failures early on this is the way to go to get past plot obstacles, it is very useful. 
*edited for typos   
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 06:43:32 AM by MadAlchemist »