Author Topic: Hide My Avatar  (Read 3388 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Hide My Avatar
« on: March 09, 2011, 08:28:20 PM »
Can you make it so that the "Don't Show Avatar's" preference option hides my avatar at the top of the screen?

I use the "Don't Show Avatar's" option, which keeps the screen looking more subtle while Im at work.  But I also use the New Replies and Unread Post links at the top of the screen, so I can't simply hide it.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
Re: Hide My Avatar
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 08:33:25 AM »
The only way I can figure out how to hide that avatar is to simply not use one at all:

->Click "Profile" (in the top bar)
->Click "Forum Profile Information" (left sidebar)
->Select "Personalized Picture" (first option)
->Select "(no pic)" in the dropdown box to the right (should be the first option)

Hope that helps.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 01:49:13 PM »
Ahhh, but me and Ursiel go way back.  I dont want to just dump him, it will hurt his Fallen feelings  :P
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 02:15:22 PM »
Ahhh, but me and Ursiel go way back.  I dont want to just dump him, it will hurt his Fallen feelings  :P

Give him a Scooby snack and send him on his way. ;D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline El Diablo

• Posty McPostington
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 03:59:07 AM »
Can you make it so that the "Don't Show Avatar's" preference option hides my avatar at the top of the screen?

I use the "Don't Show Avatar's" option, which keeps the screen looking more subtle while Im at work.  But I also use the New Replies and Unread Post links at the top of the screen, so I can't simply hide it.

Use firefox and add adblock at work.

Right click on the avatar and just block the image. I see very few images on this forum because of my settings. It also helps with ads and all the rest.

Adblock, noscript, and not loading flash on my system makes for a very fast and clutter free no advertising surfing browser. As a result I've been unable to surf with IE do to the annoyances many sites create with their flash/slide/oversize adverts since I took control of what I watch :) .
//Sings
"If you've been messaged to ignore me clap your hands!"
:)

knnn said "All must now bow in presence of your Dresden-Fu."

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2011, 05:02:01 AM »

Right click on the avatar and just block the image. I see very few images on this forum because of my settings. It also helps with ads and all the rest.

Adblock, noscript, and not loading flash on my system makes for a very fast and clutter free no advertising surfing browser. As a result I've been unable to surf with IE do to the annoyances many sites create with their flash/slide/oversize adverts since I took control of what I watch :) .

Genius, this.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2011, 01:27:50 PM »

Nice!  Problem solved.  I had Flashblock going, but not Adblock.  This is sweet
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 01:41:06 PM »

Can Firefox import your favorites and settings from IE? Is there anything Firefox has a major problem with? 'Cause I'm keeping my options open on browsers and would like input from those who know. Oh, almost forgot - is choosing not to load flash something you can change on the fly? There are a number of sites I've seen that use flash, and I'd like to be forewarned one way or the other.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Electric MacButters

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 09:46:43 PM »
I know IE9 has an option to disable Flash scripts, and I think IE8 had it as well.  If I'm remembering right most of the flash disabling stuff is hidden in the advanced security or privacy settings.
Okay, I flipped the breaker, pulled the fuses, and blew up the transformer.

Why are my lights still on?
Henceforth, therefore, to be known as Electric MacButters?
Chairman of the Amanda Beckett Society

Offline Katty

• Posty McPostington
  • Never been perfect. But neither have you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2011, 01:18:08 AM »
Can Firefox import your favorites and settings from IE? Is there anything Firefox has a major problem with? 'Cause I'm keeping my options open on browsers and would like input from those who know. Oh, almost forgot - is choosing not to load flash something you can change on the fly? There are a number of sites I've seen that use flash, and I'd like to be forewarned one way or the other.

Yes to the import - there's an option on the file menu.  I haven't had a problem with anything in Firefox, and it's all I use at home.  Very occasionally something won't load and I use Chrome instead, but I can't even remember for which sites.

I know you can turn Adblock off for specific sites on the fly  (just click the icon you get in the corner of the browser)...maybe not loading flash would be the same?
"No one gets to their heaven without a fight." - Neil Peart

"I'm going to hell for that bit.  And I'm taking all of you with me." - Denis Leary

Offline El Diablo

• Posty McPostington
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2011, 01:24:19 AM »
Yes to the import - there's an option on the file menu.  I haven't had a problem with anything in Firefox, and it's all I use at home.  Very occasionally something won't load and I use Chrome instead, but I can't even remember for which sites.

I know you can turn Adblock off for specific sites on the fly  (just click the icon you get in the corner of the browser)...maybe not loading flash would be the same?

Flashblock allows for turning flash on and off as needed.
//Sings
"If you've been messaged to ignore me clap your hands!"
:)

knnn said "All must now bow in presence of your Dresden-Fu."

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2011, 03:33:59 PM »
Ya, Flashblock doesn't load the flash by default, instead displaying a little icon you click to allow that particular flash that particular time.  You have to do it every time you load the site, but you can whitelist give permission for the entire site, if its one you actually use a bunch.  I gave Hulu a pass, for example, so I didnt have to click the button for every commercial during a show. 

Adblock seems to have the same sort of whitelist/blacklist functionality, but it defaults to load everything, and you can rightclick on a particular graphic to disable it. 

On the Browsers: IE is buggy, unsecured, crap and I refuse to use it whenever possible.  I use Firefox now, but have been considering switching to Chrome.  Firefox used to be the fast, lean, stable choice, without all the security holes on IE.  But its gotten so feature-rich, and seems to focus more and more on add-ons and plug-ins and such that its now getting rather slow and bloated.  I hear good things about Chrome as the fast new hotness, but I fear change, sooo... ;)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/