Author Topic: Overpowered characters- Is it ever ok?  (Read 6520 times)

Offline Jinn Master

• Conversationalist
  • Sanity Roll!
    • View Profile
Overpowered characters- Is it ever ok?
« on: March 08, 2011, 01:12:18 AM »
In any game, it is possible to manipulate the rules in order to give you better abilities. In the Dresden Files, this can be done through rebate manipulation- and, at least in my opinion, isn't always a bad thing.

As a GM, if I know the way someone plays in general, and know they can responsibly handle a character that would, in some people's hands, be gamebreaking- I would be all right with that.

They would, of course, have to abide by a few rules, such as structuring the character so they could not steal the spotlight from other players, and making sure they aren't going to go berserk on anything that would be detrimental to the game.

What about you guys?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 01:17:24 AM by Jinn Master »
Then out spake brave Horatius,
The Captain of the Gate:
"To every man upon this earth
Death cometh soon or late.
And how can man die better
Than facing fearful odds,
For the ashes of his fathers,
And the temples of his gods...
-The Lay of Horatius

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Overpowered characters- Is it ever ok?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 01:59:02 AM »
There are many, many ways to break this system. as long as everyone is having fun it really doesn't matter. Though as a matter of principle i would much rather have a character who is significantly more powerful then the others if that is what would be realistic via what we know from realist and the novels, then create house rules.
Brian Blacknight

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 04:54:30 AM »
Every player in the game is free to choose the character they wish to play. If they choose to play "overpowered" characters, then it is their choice to do so as long as the rules were not broken. If a player chooses not to play a character that hogs the spotlight, then it is also his choice. If the player chooses not to read the rules before creating a character that is outclassed by other characters, then he has only himself to blame.

I tell my players that there are many stories in Dresden Files and yet I can count on one hand where the wizard isn't the center piece of the story and that DFRPG is based on the novels. I tell them to count the number of pages YS devotes to magic and spellcasting.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 12:16:52 PM »
As long as EVERYONE is having fun it's all good.
Bad typists untie!!!!

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 02:32:45 PM »
It all depends on the type of game and the rest of the group. If one player wants to play an uber-badass and get into combat 24-7 but everyone else wants to enjoy some Role-Play and low-powered action then someone is going to get bored and I tend to vote in favor of the majority.
One of the things my current did prior to my game was to sit down and come up with what we called a "Social Contract" in which we discussed what kind of game we wanted and the general consensus was for a more role-play-oriented game. This has worked out fairly well for us in the long run. If all of the players are all good players and cognizant of how they can break the system but choose not to in favor of more involved role-play, then you tend to get a much more involved game with more buy-in for the player and characters, which is pretty much what I wanted from day one and what I always try to encourage in every game I run.
On the other hand if everyone wants to play a high-powered game then heck, go for it and have fun! Deathwombat got it right, as long as everyone is having fun (Including the GM!) that's what's most important.
Just cause the power is there doesn't mean it has to be used, at least not all of the time!
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 02:43:22 PM by Ren »
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 06:08:51 PM »
If one player wants to play an uber-badass and get into combat 24-7 but everyone else wants to enjoy some Role-Play and low-powered action then someone is going to get bored and I tend to vote in favor of the majority.

These things are not mutually exclusive. its entirely possible to play a heavily rp based game at X+20 refresh. X being whatever you usually use. Just because the numbers on your character sheet are large does not mean your a Gamist, just as smaller numbers do not make you a dramatist. 
Brian Blacknight

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 06:21:23 PM »
True, fun can be had in all modes, but if you are the ONLY one built that way...eh...gets boring.
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 06:30:31 PM »
DFRPG does actually contemplate the possibility of characters with varying power levels existing in the same group, so I'd say that yes, it is okay, maybe even expected.  Not all stunts are created equal, at least in combat (social and physical) terms, and stunts don't hold a candle to powers, which again vary in versatility and effect.  So long as the group is united in what kind of game they're playing and the players with the mechanically more powerful characters don't run roughshod over the less powerful folk I don't think it's a problem in the slightest. 
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 06:38:31 PM »
The most important question is, 'is everyone having fun?'  If they are, then outside opinions are unimportant.

If there are players who aren't having fun, and would rather play something else...then there's a problem.

I've never cared for the 'Dr. Who'-style games, with one powerful leader and a bunch of replaceable flunkies; but other groups might be fine with that.
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.

Offline stabbald

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2011, 02:02:04 PM »
Every player in the game is free to choose the character they wish to play. If they choose to play "overpowered" characters, then it is their choice to do so as long as the rules were not broken. If a player chooses not to play a character that hogs the spotlight, then it is also his choice. If the player chooses not to read the rules before creating a character that is outclassed by other characters, then he has only himself to blame.

Sounds like fun.  ???

I tell my players that there are many stories in Dresden Files and yet I can count on one hand where the wizard isn't the center piece of the story and that DFRPG is based on the novels. I tell them to count the number of pages YS devotes to magic and spellcasting.

That would be because the main character is a wizard. What an odd thing to say.

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 02:09:37 PM »
Sounds like fun.  ???

That would be because the main character is a wizard. What an odd thing to say.
What's there to ??? about? Why would it be odd? This game is based on a novel series whose title character is a wizard. Naturally the magic classes are going to be overpowered. If you choose not to read the writing on the wall and find yourself not having fun, then the fault lies with yourself.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline DFJunkie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2011, 02:46:38 PM »
If you choose not to read the writing on the wall and find yourself not having fun, then the fault lies with yourself.

Eh, yes and no, it would depend on why the "you" in question is unhappy.  If there is a mixed group of Wizards and other archetypes yet every story revolves around the casters and magic is used to resolve all the critical conflicts I'd call that a GM failure, not the player's problem.  On the other hand, if the GM has made sure that the non-casting PCs are an integral part of the story, have their time in the spotlight, and are relevant to the important conflicts, yet the player is depressed because he can't blast entire zones with Weapon:5 attacks, then yes, it is the player's fault for not picking a Wizard.
90% of what I say is hyperbole intended for humorous effect.  Don't take me seriously. I don't.

Offline stabbald

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2011, 03:47:36 PM »
What's there to ??? about? Why would it be odd? This game is based on a novel series whose title character is a wizard. Naturally the magic classes are going to be overpowered. If you choose not to read the writing on the wall and find yourself not having fun, then the fault lies with yourself.

I just find your opinion to be an odd one. I play many games that I don't know all the rules for and I only really find it nessesary that the person running it has a grasp for how things are supposed to work.

Why are you trying to assign blame? Isn't the objective of the game for everyone to have fun?

Offline kihon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2011, 04:02:57 PM »
Yes having an "overpowered" character is ok.

It is your game - and if everyone in your group is good with it -- then heck yes that's ok.

As stated above - the point is to have fun -- both as a GM and as Role-player.

Your game - your rules -- think of the books as helpful guide posts.

Refresh 10, 20, 30, 40 ....  whatever makes you and your group have fun.

Sure it could "break the system" - but have fun with it --- "adjust" your system.

Maybe in your game 'monster X' has a +10 refresh from whatever is in the books... 

But the core rule -- have fun -- or else people stop playing in your group.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2011, 04:12:59 PM »
The only real liability in having an overpowered character is in the way it might impact the screen time and niche value (which is also screen time) of the other players.

DFRPG has less of a focus on "niche protection" because, with the right imagination, every character can contribute meaningfully to every conflict through the use of Maneuvers. As for screen time, if the GM can ensure that everyone gets it - whether by winging it, or by pulling on each character's Aspects by turn - then it won't be a problem. Especially if the bearer of the ostensibly overpowered character is secure enough to let others have the spotlight from time to time.

I do not mean to say that one should allow or encourage a disparity in actual "character level" (whatever that ends up meaning in a given RPG). Even if one person is allowed a super-efficient build, then the other players should at least be in the same ballpark. RPGs which give you the choice of playing either "Buffy" or one of her associates still tend to have some mechanism to even things out, and it generally comes down to having more Action/Drama/Fate Points than the leader.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets