Author Topic: Former Denarians and the Laws of Magic  (Read 1088 times)

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
Former Denarians and the Laws of Magic
« on: March 06, 2011, 01:26:46 AM »
I have a new player coming into my game and we've been working on his concept a bit but a question has come up I wanted to put out there. The High Aspect is going to be along the lines of "Former Denarian Sorcerer" and as can be imagined the character is a Denarian who gave up his coin and in the process lost all of his Powers, both Denarian-granted and most of the ones he was born with. Essentially making him a burn-out Sorcerer (Maybe form White Council Wizard, we're still working on the details) with lots of knowledge but a jacked-up body and almost certain brain damage.
The Question is, as a Denarian he no doubt broke many of the Laws of Magic and probably on Multiple Occasions, but while under the influence he was technically no longer human so would the White Council have any cause to pursue him as a Lawbreaker now that he has been freed from that influence. i.e. would he held accountable for his actions while he was a Denarian now that he is no longer? I suppose the argument may have to be based on whether he was fully invested and in cahoots with the fallen or if he was an unwilling victim. But I'm curious to get some thoughts on the subject as it could affect the actual character creation from the get-go. Odds are he will still have the "Law-Breaker" power to represent that temptation to regain his power.
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Former Denarians and the Laws of Magic
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2011, 03:43:10 AM »
Humans can get the Lawbreaker stunt.

Human-fallen hybrids can't, not anymore than fairies can.  There's something in the driver seat that isn't human.

As for the Wardens, they might never trust a former Denarian, but they wouldn't hunt him for what he did while he had his coin - the Accords forbid.  Now if the Denarians didn't sign the accords that would be another matter, but one faction can't punish another faction's member.

Now if he has some powers remaining, he's now under the White Council as far as the Accords go.  If the Wardens know about his past they would probably watch him like... Well, like Morgan watched Dresden - waiting for him to screw up so they can take his head.

Richard

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Former Denarians and the Laws of Magic
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2011, 04:25:23 AM »
There are 2 ways to view this:
1) The ex-Denarian sorcerer is of the Cassius persuasion - the Wardens could probably do anything they want with him including off with his head, since he is now not a Denarian.
2) The ex-Denarian sorcerer truly repents - I can see the Wardens seeing a golden opportunity to learn more about the Coin boys, they can trade the ex-Coin to the Vatican/KOTC for some brownie points - heck, if he is a focused practitioner, his epiphany could enable him to also get True Faith powers at higher refresh.
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear