Author Topic: Magical Plastic Surgery: How Far Can You Go? (Before You Hit The Second Law)  (Read 4168 times)

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
then what about the Merlin's sending in Turn Coat?

Projecting is not the same thing as looking, or changing. Admittedly its a silly distinction but im not the one who made the rules.
Brian Blacknight

Offline mithrandirthewhite

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
its still the invasion of the mind though.  Unless Harry signed a contract when he signed up to the WC saying that he would let the Merlin enter his head anytime the merlin wished.
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
its still the invasion of the mind though.  Unless Harry signed a contract when he signed up to the WC saying that he would let the Merlin enter his head anytime the merlin wished.

I would like to agree with you. i would also like to say that simply looking in someones mind shouldn't affect them in any way. Doesn't mean thats how it works in Mister Bucther's world
Brian Blacknight

Offline Lanodantheon

• Conversationalist
  • A Wizard is as a Wizard does...
    • View Profile
I personally go with the "changing the nature" of someone route. Magical Plastic surgery would only be a Law Breaker if they changed the Nature of that person. Willingness only matters if you are employing a talisman or some similiar object, since using such things involve exercising one's free will.

Think about like this, you look yourself in the mirror everyday and you recognize that image. A lot of people exercise, use makeup, costumes and what not to alter their image but when you look in the mirror, you still recognize the reflection as you. Giving yourself new hair, nails, skin tone, teeth, etc wouldn't do it. Changing those things has become acceptable to modern folks. People's self-image changes when they get braces. It would break the Law when the person changed looked in the mirror and no longer recognized the face in the mirror. That's the point when you've changed someone's nature. If you used magic to simulate the effect of braces in minutes, that wouldn't do it. What would would be when changing that person's smile made him/her no longer recognizable, like an idealized smile, the stuff of every toothpaste commercial when originally you had teeth with dime sized gaps between them.

But the magical dentistry thing is a bit of an extreme case. Warlock by dentistry? not my idea of a Warlock.

Unless the the Black Magic Dentist gave the guy a shark-grin, then that's definitely a Law Breaker.
www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/the-emerald-city  (Nov 2012 Campaign of The Month)

fate-accelerated-star-wars-the-infinite-empire.obsidianportal.com/
(June 2016 Campaign of The Month)

My name is Lanodantheon Thul, Conjure that by your own risk....But first, you have be able to spell it...

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Nor did he alter anyone else. changing yourself is okay, changing someone else, even for "healing" is not. the books pretty clear on that

I'm pretty sure that there's magic healing twice in the novels and no one picks up Lawbreaker. Once by a non-white council wizard, so that doesn't prove anything, however they repeatedly mention that Listens-to-wind is a healer, and I believe he heals someone at least once.

Offline Steppenwolf

• Participant
    • View Profile
Well if healing is meant to just speeding up the natural process of recovery I see no Lawbreaking.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 08:18:31 AM by Steppenwolf »

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
There's a way around the law breaker bit - don't make it permanent.  And it could also result in a great revenue stream.
"Now you have that model's body that you always wanted - for now.  And you better  start earning some money by modeling because that body only lasts a week.  Then I have to use more reagents and those things are expensive.   The cost? Shall we say a grand a week or 5% of your model income - which ever is higher? No, it's not fair, but I have to eat too."

That's not a nice idea - in fact it's the sort of thing a villain would do - but technically it doesn't break any magical laws.  Speaking of villains, I can picture a modeling agency where the guy on top takes average women and turns them into models in exchange for 90% of the fees.  They get to look beautiful and he gets the money... Win/win.

Edit: Okay, I'm now mostly through writing up an evil spell caster who runs a local modelling agency and uses Transformation and Disruption maneuvers to make average women look like models.

Richard
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 12:50:19 AM by Richard_Chilton »