Author Topic: Warden Swords and Enchanted Items with multiple Uses  (Read 2181 times)

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Warden Swords and Enchanted Items with multiple Uses
« on: February 16, 2011, 12:16:53 AM »
So, we all know (theoretically) that Warden Swords have 3 charges and each charge can be used on one of two things.  Any thoughts on rules to allow this?  Requiring another item slot for another use seems too much (or perhaps in some cases too little if you've tossed 7 item slots pumping up an item).  I was thinking that if you reduce the power of the item by 1, then you could add another use that shares the charges.  That seems reasonable.

In this way, Warden Swords would require someone who makes items with 3 charges have +2 frequency and 8 base power (theoretically).  Lowering the power to 7 lets them have two uses (counterspell or attack), and lowering the power to 6 lets anyone use them.

Thoughts?

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Warden Swords and Enchanted Items with multiple Uses
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 12:21:48 AM »
How is it different from using Lore to declare what potion you have?  If it is different, will the declaration mechanic still work?
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 12:22:58 AM »
How is it different from using Lore to declare what potion you have?  If it is different, will the declaration mechanic still work?

Rawr?  I am talking about enchanted items which are statted out ahead of time.  I don't understand what you mean here.

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 12:32:54 AM »
Its workable. im inclined to allow it when appropriate for no cost, i argued for enchanted items to have an always on option though, which i think would have simulated the silver swords better.
Brian Blacknight

Offline AlexFallad

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 01:23:23 AM »

As a rules newb...color me curious also...

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 02:55:17 AM »
Rawr?  I am talking about enchanted items which are statted out ahead of time.  I don't understand what you mean here.
Potions are just a subtype of enchanted items and you can use Lore to declare empty potions as a given type.  Why not use the same mechanic to declare which power you spend uses on?
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 03:11:32 AM »
Potions are just a subtype of enchanted items and you can use Lore to declare empty potions as a given type.  Why not use the same mechanic to declare which power you spend uses on?

Because then you really aren't using an existing item to do that, you are essentially using an empty slot and making a potion.  That or all enchanted items essentially have infinite uses and you don't need free slots for potions since you can just use a fate point and declare what it does (and if you are out of charges, it's just one mental stress added to get whatever effect you want).

In any case, it certainly doesn't give you a system for making an enchanted item have a finite number of predetermined uses like Warden Swords do.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 06:49:58 AM »
So, we all know (theoretically) that Warden Swords have 3 charges and each charge can be used on one of two things.  Any thoughts on rules to allow this?  Requiring another item slot for another use seems too much (or perhaps in some cases too little if you've tossed 7 item slots pumping up an item).  I was thinking that if you reduce the power of the item by 1, then you could add another use that shares the charges.  That seems reasonable.

In this way, Warden Swords would require someone who makes items with 3 charges have +2 frequency and 8 base power (theoretically).  Lowering the power to 7 lets them have two uses (counterspell or attack), and lowering the power to 6 lets anyone use them.

Thoughts?
According to Fred, the Warden's Swords are an exception to the rules.
Wardens Swords are only ever usable by their owner. They were tailored to specific people.
Making a warden's sword as described in the books requires being Luccio before her body swap.

Warden Sword

The symbol of the authority of a Warden of the White Council, Warden Swords were enchanted by Captain Luccio to cut through both spells and matter.  They are very limited in supply!

A Warden Sword counts as a Weapon:3 sword at minimum in nearly all circumstances.

Spell provided: A Warden Sword uses two enchanted item slots. Built by Luccio’s formerly impressive crafting, the Sword can produce one of the following magical effects 3 times per session:

* The Sword casts a counterspell of Fantastic (+6) strength, provided the effect being countered can be physically attacked or touched by a sword (ethereal chains, good; a mental binding, not so much).
* The Sword may be treated as a Weapon:6 item for one attack.

(For those who are curious, yes, a Warden Sword slightly bends the rules in that we allow it two different spell effects to be selected from when making use of the 3 daily uses instead of just one spell effect. But Luccio had a special talent in her first body, after all, and that's gone now; consider the uniqueness and limited supply of the items to play into that. Also, the Weapon:3 thing with the sword, that's just because they're really well made swords, ala the result of a lot of time investment and a killer Craftsmanship roll.)

So the answer really would be: There are no rules to allow this.

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 06:56:33 AM »
So the answer really would be: There are no rules to allow this.

BORING!  Let's discuss what rules they should be.

Another potential alternative to what I initially posted is another type of specialization for crafting "Uses", though I think that's a problematic way to go.

Offline Malckuss

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 06:48:59 PM »
I did something similar for a pregenerated character for my Con game I posted http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,24161.0.html
here. I called the item a Lesser Warden Sword and built it by splitting the item into 2 components: The Blade, which held the Weapon effect, and the Hilt/pommel, which held the Counterspell effect. The character has a Lore of Great +4 and a crafting of Great +4 with a Strength Crafting specialization for thaumaturgy, and spent 2 enchanted item slots on it. The final product looked like this:

Lesser Warden Sword
It might not be Luccio's work, but it's the next best thing.
Weapon: 3
May use the following effects 2 times per game session:
* A strength +5 Counterspell
* Act as a Weapon: 5 for one attack.

My math may be a bit off, but you get the general idea; I'm working from memory as I don't have the character where I am currently. Hope this helps someone else.