Author Topic: Telekinetic Wizard  (Read 4903 times)

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Telekinetic Wizard
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 08:55:37 PM »
Seems like he has min-maxed then.  He can theoretically carry a collection of various catches on his person and use them against enemies.  Obviously Fae are the easiest, but gather up the right wedding rings and you have the catch of white courts satisfied.  Get little slivers of inherited silver and you are ready for a loup garou.  Etc, etc.

It makes a lot of sense to carry around potential enemies catches my Aeromancer allways carried with him a bag of ball bearings, an inherited silver star of david (with his belief in God this counts as 2 or 3 catches in itself) and various other metal scrapings, there was never an enemy whose catch he could not bypass once at least, that is not min-maxing that is a style choice if you are willing to plan ahead you should be rewarded.
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 09:22:02 PM »
It makes a lot of sense to carry around potential enemies catches my Aeromancer allways carried with him a bag of ball bearings, an inherited silver star of david (with his belief in God this counts as 2 or 3 catches in itself) and various other metal scrapings, there was never an enemy whose catch he could not bypass once at least, that is not min-maxing that is a style choice if you are willing to plan ahead you should be rewarded.

But this player doesn't have to invoke (for effect) an aspect to get a spell that bypasses a catch.  That's what I meant.

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 09:35:52 PM »
I do not think Harry using Silver to defeat the Loup Garou was a manoeuvre at most it is a declaration that the silver pentacle is made out of silver and then invoking that, as it is an obvious declaration (declaring something is what it is) it would require no roll and I would count it as a free action (easy to work out) which he could invoke for effect. The same thing goes for iron filings and things that are obviously a catch you could freely declare they are what they are and then use the aspect to attack.

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 09:57:44 PM »
I do not think Harry using Silver to defeat the Loup Garou was a manoeuvre at most it is a declaration that the silver pentacle is made out of silver and then invoking that, as it is an obvious declaration (declaring something is what it is) it would require no roll and I would count it as a free action (easy to work out) which he could invoke for effect. The same thing goes for iron filings and things that are obviously a catch you could freely declare they are what they are and then use the aspect to attack.

Mmm, probably so.  Now, if they had a bag of needles would you let each one be a separate declaration?

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 10:03:13 PM »
Mmm, probably so.  Now, if they had a bag of needles would you let each one be a separate declaration?
I really don't see the point of that...
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 10:18:11 PM »

Well, would the Invoke for Effect be "all my attacks with these pins will count as iron" or "THIS attack will count as iron"?  You can tag for an invoke only once per declaration, so it matters which one you allow and how often you allow the declarations (otherwise you'll have to pay with fate points).

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 10:27:12 PM »
Well, would the Invoke for Effect be "all my attacks with these pins will count as iron" or "THIS attack will count as iron"?  You can tag for an invoke only once per declaration, so it matters which one you allow and how often you allow the declarations (otherwise you'll have to pay with fate points).
It depends on the GM, and I'd have to say that the "All of my attacks with these pins will count as iron" would be the way to go.  However, a single pin isn't going to kill you unless you target it absurdly well, so think about how quickly you're going to burn through your ammunition supply; that might be why you're having to spend multiple fate points.

And as for my previous post, I see that you either ignored the pun, or it went sailing over your head...  ;D
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 10:38:50 PM »

That is some seriously sharp wit there. Needleess to say I think it would look at it as declaring all of the attacks as iron as well. 

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 11:10:53 PM »
That is some seriously sharp wit there. Needleess to say I think it would look at it as declaring all of the attacks as iron as well. 
Sew says you, but we might need some more thoughts on this thread of thinking before we can stitch it all together.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline Seb Wiers

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2011, 12:06:22 AM »
We had a murder / kidnapping case in our game last night where some folks looked like they'd been shot.  When we tracked down the mage responsible, turned out he'd used magic to fling stuff at hypersonic velocity.  I'm not offering mechanics as such (you'd need to ask the GM that, if she'd ever planned any) - my point is, the White Council took his head when we handed him over.  Seems you can't get away with saying "but it was the magically propelled projectile that killed them, not the magic." 

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2011, 12:26:51 AM »
We had a murder / kidnapping case in our game last night where some folks looked like they'd been shot.  When we tracked down the mage responsible, turned out he'd used magic to fling stuff at hypersonic velocity.  I'm not offering mechanics as such (you'd need to ask the GM that, if she'd ever planned any) - my point is, the White Council took his head when we handed him over.  Seems you can't get away with saying "but it was the magically propelled projectile that killed them, not the magic." 

Which is why you can't risk fallout with this trick, otherwise if you have are aiming at one enemy and the accuracy is beyond superb +5 then you are very unlikely to hit bystanders and wizards cannot use area of effect magic without that risk of hitting someone unintentional anyway.   

Offline jybil178

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2011, 05:07:55 PM »
Is it bad that when I first started reading this thread, my mind went to a slightly different area?  Sorry for possible thread jacking, btw >.<  Hate doing that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZBAEk_Ugmk

It then made me think, how to stat out Shiro Emiya, and in turn, Archer's ability to materialize weapons, and even greater Artifacts, for lack of a better term, in order to fight his enemy.  I thought it was kinda silly, but then realized... The magic system fits perfectly for some of Archer's more powerful attacks..  You just have to be open minded, and see the attack as a summoning of a powerful weapon of lore, which is capable of doing spell equivalent damage.

He would be a Focused Practitioner, with a Channeling of Materialization (Conjuring), and a Ritual of the same thing.  Since he is the literal pinnacle of a weapon Conjurer, and would probably have some decent specializations in it as well, I could see him easily being able to summon some of his normal weaponry with a "quick" ritual, while some of his more powerful abilities obviously fall under evocation, or very elaborate uses of his Ritual casting...  Btw, if you can come up with a better idea for Channeling, or Ritual that could fit better for his ability to both Conjure, and Reinforce real things, then be my guest... Running on little sleep again >.<

Should have NEVER attempted to piece something like this together, but I just couldn't help myself... Fate/Stay Night is awesome and epic.  Cheers
my 2 cents

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2011, 10:54:21 PM »
Is it bad that when I first started reading this thread, my mind went to a slightly different area?  Sorry for possible thread jacking, btw >.<  Hate doing that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZBAEk_Ugmk

It then made me think, how to stat out Shiro Emiya, and in turn, Archer's ability to materialize weapons, and even greater Artifacts, for lack of a better term, in order to fight his enemy.  I thought it was kinda silly, but then realized... The magic system fits perfectly for some of Archer's more powerful attacks..  You just have to be open minded, and see the attack as a summoning of a powerful weapon of lore, which is capable of doing spell equivalent damage.

He would be a Focused Practitioner, with a Channeling of Materialization (Conjuring), and a Ritual of the same thing.  Since he is the literal pinnacle of a weapon Conjurer, and would probably have some decent specializations in it as well, I could see him easily being able to summon some of his normal weaponry with a "quick" ritual, while some of his more powerful abilities obviously fall under evocation, or very elaborate uses of his Ritual casting...  Btw, if you can come up with a better idea for Channeling, or Ritual that could fit better for his ability to both Conjure, and Reinforce real things, then be my guest... Running on little sleep again >.<

Should have NEVER attempted to piece something like this together, but I just couldn't help myself... Fate/Stay Night is awesome and epic.  Cheers

I would say his power would be sponsored magic reality marble.