Author Topic: Playing Spirit of the Century - Your Experiences  (Read 14782 times)

Offline Corbin DeBec

• Participant
  • Elve's they taste like chicken
    • View Profile
Playing Spirit of the Century - Your Experiences
« on: March 12, 2007, 01:09:29 AM »
well first of all hope you guys got back from NC ok, me and my buddy was the two that stalked you guys during the convention and talked to ya probably more than our share.  Told ya I'd contact ya lol,
well we've each got a copy of Spirit of the Century on the way and once we get it and grasp what's going on we'll run some game ideas around and let you know how it goes.  But trust me if i try to game within the next week my brain will more than likely explode.  and again great meeting you guys both of ya and Shannon too, I'm gonna plug her book at the bookstore to, told her i'll try to get them to put her book with Jim's on a display they have.  talk to ya soon.
Spirit of the Century Character, Mike "The Cashier" Green aka Cash Green
Holding "The Tommygun of Holy Vengance"

Offline Corbin DeBec

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 04:14:15 AM »
Just made my character for SOC, and have to say, it was the most fun i've had making a character.  I see great things coming from this game, good job guys.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 04:21:37 AM »
Just made my character for SOC, and have to say, it was the most fun i've had making a character.  I see great things coming from this game, good job guys.

Awesome, glad to hear it went well!
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2007, 08:58:43 AM »
I start my game tonight!
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2007, 01:45:35 PM »
I start my game tonight!
I'd love it if you'd come back here and start a new thread about your experiences with the game. :)  (In fact, I may split off this part of this thread into another...)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Corbin DeBec

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Playing Spirit of the Century - Your Experiences
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2007, 03:03:24 PM »
you got it, and maybe i'll tell ya about my Tommy Gun of Holy Vengance. 

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2007, 05:56:16 PM »
I'd love it if you'd come back here and start a new thread about your experiences with the game. :)  (In fact, I may split off this part of this thread into another...)

That sounds like a good idea.  I'll be doing an Actual Play thread on RPGnet in any case...  I'll link to that as well.

The group consists of: a lawyer who also investigates crimes; an academic genius who's main job is being a brain surgeon; a bare-knuckles fighter who gets "caught up" in fighting gangsters; a pilot with an amazing seaplane who is trying to unravel a global conspiracy; and big, strong guy who hunts for antiques and artefacts.

Some of the "guest starring" appearances were very hard to work out!  Most of them ended "...and then there's a fight!"
« Last Edit: March 31, 2007, 05:58:31 PM by von Bek »
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline Corbin DeBec

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 11:58:03 AM »
I'm still trying to get my weekend of work out of the way but I've read through part of the book and those who don't have it let me tell ya it's very well done.  Not only does it not just stop at a mention of a game mechanic it lets you know if it will be brought up again and most the time a page reference in the paragraph.  So many times in a game you read a rule and feel like ok there's got to be more to it than that then start flipping back and forth and really horrible if this happens during the game.   I'm really really gonna suggest this as a intro to roleplaying cause even though I've ran games and played for years it does a great job of explaining what's expected of a player and the GM.  Also it is very high role play oriented it's not just for a hack and slash type game, although the taking out several menions in one swoop makes me drool a bit.  You actually roleplay, and if you and your group are the type to argue how more light a torch might show when in a mirror for a hour or so then maybe you can pass this up but if feel you are a roleplayer and your group is the type who enjoy the challenge and skill it takes to make it through a adventure and accept the good and bad of the adventure then you gotta play this game, and yes the original game concept of the 1920's is great but this will work into any era with just a little tweek.  Also it's not like reading a rule book it's like talking with someone about the game, it makes you actually want to read the rules.  Ok I worked 12 hours last night i'm gonna go to bed.  Again highly recommend this.   Look for me to explain my character and the aspects soon.

Offline Whitestreak

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2007, 07:35:19 PM »
Well, I've ordered Spirit - the Paypal went through last week. Any ideas on how long it'll take to receive it in the mail?

Offline Hexmaven

• Participant
  • "You must unlearn what you have learned." -- Yoda
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2007, 08:09:58 PM »
It took about a week and a half for my order to arrive.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2007, 08:22:13 PM »
Well, I've ordered Spirit - the Paypal went through last week. Any ideas on how long it'll take to receive it in the mail?

It's probably coming via priority mail from Wisconsin, shipped out on the first available business day.  So... about that long. :)
Fred Hicks

Offline Whitestreak

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 01:25:30 AM »
From Wisconsin?!?

My heavens - I didn't know it was coming from a foreign location! ;D (I'm in Sacramento, CA, so according to local law, anything outside the state is sorta foreign...)

Seriously, less than two weeks is pretty good.

Offline Corbin DeBec

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 03:40:58 PM »
here's a pretty good review/summary of SOC http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/12/12619.phtml  I see some have seen it before lol

Offline Corbin DeBec

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 03:21:45 AM »
Just got back from out first SOC session, and it went very well, still had to get adjusted to the new style of play but after we got going it went smooth.  The initiative rule took some getting use to compared to other games, although we didn't do the optional rotating positions.  also a mistake I made and some of you may avoid is don't use a fate point if you have rolled exceptionaly well it may be over kill and you'll miss the fate point later.   And as a friend relized you need to broading your aspect so the GM can call upon them and you gain fate points during the session.   To much of a good thing i guess.   Still gonna list my aspects and explain how they came into play later but maybe the GM will chime in and explain the adventure a bit.

Offline Hexmaven

• Participant
  • "You must unlearn what you have learned." -- Yoda
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 05:22:47 PM »
Well, I ran Corbin and another friend through the first SotC adventure in the book.  Of course, I tweaked it here and there.  One of our guys was playing Dr. Ray Gunn . . . scientist and Corbin was playin' Mike "The Cashier" Green.  Mike had accompanied Dr. Gunn to a science symposium in Switzerland . . . mainly as security since Dr. Gunn is occasionally targetted by nefarious indviduals.  The short and sweet of it is that after the heroes arrived at the ski lodge where the symposium was taking place, things got complicated.  Scientists begin to go missing and they must investigate.  I'll stop there since other GM's might want to run the adventure as well.  Don't want to spoil it for anyone else.  But I will say that the heroes were victorious and a little battered after the adventure.  There were some clever uses of universal gadgets and remarkable gun-play with a Tommy Gun of Holy Vengeance.  I'm still learning the rules so there were a few lulls while we tried to hammer down some game concepts.  But overall the game went smooth.  It's a little hard to get used to compelling aspects of the PC's, but towards the end of the adventure I'd started doin' a lil better.  Like Corbin said though, when you create an aspect try to make it two-fold.  In other words, make it useable but at the same time leave room for it to be problematic.  I'm looking forward to the next game I run.  Hopefully I'll do better GM'ing.  Game On!