Author Topic: How would you stat up a djinn?  (Read 3559 times)

Offline Drazha

• Participant
    • View Profile
How would you stat up a djinn?
« on: February 09, 2011, 04:06:36 AM »
Thinking about making a character that's a djinn. Any thoughts on what would be good for him?

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: How would you stat up a djinn?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 04:20:47 AM »
Some physical toughness and regeneration powers with a catch of Holy (as Jinn have free will and generally opposed to angels) or Cold (Jinn are creature of Fire and Sand) would be good for a Jinn, I also think Physical Immunity to Fire and channelling fire makes sense. Then you have to decide what type of Jinn you are you the shape shifting Kind or are you an Ifrit (strong one) which means you would probably go with claws and strength powers. There is also an option for making a specific Jinn magic under sponsored magic and that would give you powers over earth, air and fire as well as giving you the ability to use Conjuration. So depending if you want to play a melee Jinn or magic Jinn would decide which of these powers you took.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2011, 11:03:51 AM by bitterpill »
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline Drazha

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 05:15:40 AM »
what do you think for a scion of a djinn. Their was that toad faced guy who worked for madrigal but i would really prefer not to play a sharked mouth character

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 05:38:20 AM »
what do you think for a scion of a djinn. Their was that toad faced guy who worked for madrigal but i would really prefer not to play a sharked mouth character

Per OW 79: "Inhuman Speed, Claws (those sharky teeth), and maybe a Supernatural Sense."

DFRPG gets this from the fiction, but given that our geek heritage includes D&D, which had a whole suite of elemental djinn subtypes, one could make a case for a variety of scion power options. I expect giving one Wings would be potentially over the top, but you probably don't need to commit to shark teeth if you don't want to.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 09:38:45 AM »
Hmm, from what I remember:

Jinn are supposed to be made of 'smokeless fire' or 'scorching wind' (and they are sometimes described as being made out fire, while humans were made out of clay)

They have free will, like humans do

They can be quite hard to some, something like heat shimmer in the desert

They usually have some way of moving around very quickly.

So something like:

Cloak of Shadows (variant)
Inhuman (or more) speed
toughness against fire

---------

Then, the more powerful ones (usually called marid or ifrit (afreet, efreet, etc) ) would typically have magic (evocation and/or thaumaturgy) rather than being very much stronger or tougher, though having a higher speed power (and possibly flight) would certainly not be out of character.

Some also seem to have the full range of shapechanging, up to being able to imitate specific people.

--------

Lesse what else.  After Allah made man, the jinn were supposed to bow to Adam, but some (Ibliss, Shaitan), in pride, did not do so and were cursed or cast out or something. 

I think this is also where the 'devil on the shoulder' trope came from, as there were supposed to be a faction of these bad jinn who would whisper to people and try to get them to do evil deeds.

Offline Buscadera

• Conversationalist
  • Machiavelli ain't got nothin' on me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 01:00:01 PM »
One character that might be useful is my jann lawyer character that I play in Amelia's Miami PbP.
"Gus, I'm a lyrical gangster. I'll use some colorful vernacular and if necessary, you'll engage in fisticuffs" -Shawn Spencer

"Doesn't that suck? I just hit you for no reason. I don't even know why." -Harry Lockhart

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2011, 08:30:14 AM »
Some physical toughness and regeneration powers with a catch of Holy (as Jinn have free will and generally opposed to angels) or Cold (Jinn are creature of Fire and Sand)

Opposite element like Cold makes the most sense, imho, since they DO have free will.  They aren't inherently unholy or evil creatures like the stuff that is vulnerable to holy effects.

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2011, 09:06:39 AM »
When it comes to the cold catch would that be satisfied by a cold day so any damage taken in December would automatically count as fulfilling the catch or would it have to be something like a spell or being locked in freezer stuff that would actually cause stress? I was wondering if it is the prior it's a really disadvantageous catch.
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline Saedar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 05:42:48 AM »
When it comes to the cold catch would that be satisfied by a cold day so any damage taken in December would automatically count as fulfilling the catch or would it have to be something like a spell or being locked in freezer stuff that would actually cause stress? I was wondering if it is the prior it's a really disadvantageous catch.

It would probably depend on how valuable you wanted to make the Catch. Being desert (or other like climates) creatures, perhaps being in a cold climate is enough to satisfy their Catch (+2 or +3). If it requires you to be attacked with an icicle (+0 or +1), then you downplay the aversion to Cold.

Offline Drazha

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 07:00:08 AM »
I'm thinking that djinn would have to be stated upon whatever tribe they belong too. Some stories describe them as being elementals and not just made from flame and sand. The Ifrit I see as having some kind of toughness and strength abilities and maybe some sort of fire ability (either fire channeling or some sort of made up djinn sponsored magic). These guys would definately be combat focused though with points in weapons or fists for claws perhaps. The myriad I see as being the big time magic users and maybe having some form of recovery, maybe even a speed boost. The would most likely focus on water magic though. The janni or the air tribe is described as being the most human like out of all the djinn so I would go with either inhuman or supernatural speed (maybe even mythic for the really really old ones), glamours to disguise themselves, and maybe the ability to take on a gaseous form to fly around. As for the Ghul or earth tribe I would have to go with them being the shapeshifters of the djinn. I would also tack on a feeding dependency to them because in some stories they are described as having a taste for human flesh (either dead or alive). As a jann I could see Glau having ties to this group since he had the teeth and all. As for the rest of the jann I think their they could be as weak as a clued in mortal and maybe as strong as the summer and winter knight if they have the backing of their parent or tribe. Strongest I could see without some sort of djinn magic would be white court/red court levels. Thoughts?

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 10:45:41 AM »

Damage has to be cold by nature, not just delivered in a cold environment.  They'd feel uncomfortable in cold weather since that touches on their catch.  If it is REALLY cold (like below freezing), then metal weapons might satisfy the catch if the weapons are chilled.  If they took stress damage from exposure, then that would bypass their catch.

Stuff like icicles should work, cold weapons (put an axe in the freezer and it will be good for a while), liquid nitrogen easily satisfies, cold spells, weapons made of ice...
Kind of hard to value generally, since it depends a bit on the environment and technology.  In modern times it is pretty easy to make things cold (lots of ways), and easy to make weapons cold.  So even in a desert it typically isn't too hard to get what you need, so this is a +3 catch pretty easily, imho.

Offline Bruce Coulson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 07:32:36 PM »
Winter Magics would definitely satisfy the Catch of a Djinn, and creates a built-in conflict.

Being able to turn into gas/fire/sand (can't remember the name of the power) would also fit.

I think the idea that 'holy' might affect Djinn came from the stories of Soloman binding Djinn into bottles, using the Seal to hold them in.  This might just be a story, or possible the account of a powerful wizard
summoning and binding djinni.  (Not sure he'd be leaving the bottles lying around to be found by random street punks, but whatever...)
You're the spirit of a nation, all right.  But it's NOT America.

Offline mithrandirthewhite

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2011, 12:37:42 AM »
I dont think that every form of cold weapons should do damge on a fire creature, at least not a lot.  If someone throws a piece of ice at him, the ice melts.  Think of it simlar to the Farie Knights balanced Immunities to opposing elements.  Though a cold piece of metal should do the trick.  Hope this makes sense.
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2011, 11:27:14 PM »
I dont think that every form of cold weapons should do damge on a fire creature, at least not a lot.  If someone throws a piece of ice at him, the ice melts.  Think of it simlar to the Farie Knights balanced Immunities to opposing elements.  Though a cold piece of metal should do the trick.  Hope this makes sense.

Life is organized, a fire being is going to have some sort of order with those highly energetic particles.  Toss in something really cold is going to screw that up.  Icicle attack could hurt bad.  A piece of ice, probably less (like a simple holy object with a black/red court...weapon 0 or 1).

Offline mithrandirthewhite

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2011, 01:28:44 AM »
Life is organized, a fire being is going to have some sort of order with those highly energetic particles.  Toss in something really cold is going to screw that up.  Icicle attack could hurt bad.  A piece of ice, probably less (like a simple holy object with a black/red court...weapon 0 or 1).

What kind of icicle are you talking about then?  The reason I would give him some resistance is because he warms up the area around him, so that any cold weapon that came in contact with him not backed up with a cooling system would be rendered useless.
WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?