Author Topic: Limits of Defence Stunts ?  (Read 3871 times)

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Limits of Defence Stunts ?
« on: February 08, 2011, 04:31:42 AM »
In the book when it talks about the limitations of stunts it says you can get a plus one to attack accuracy does this apply to defense?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 11:17:59 PM by bitterpill »
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline arete

• Conversationalist
  • Kitchen GM
    • View Profile
Re: Limits of Defence Stunts ?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2011, 05:26:32 AM »
I do not have the book on me, but based on all the stuff I have read defensive stunts would be a +1 or an effect.  It does not seem op given that inhuman speed is roughly 4 stunts for 2 refresh and gives +1 defense.
Posting from a cell phone excuss my typoes

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2011, 05:38:06 AM »
I do not have the book on me, but based on all the stuff I have read defensive stunts would be a +1 or an effect.  It does not seem op given that inhuman speed is roughly 4 stunts for 2 refresh and gives +1 defense.

Indeed, my method of building mortal stunts is to give +1 as a blanket effect or +2 for something specific.  Either that or +2 for something a bit broader, but with a -1 to something tacked on there too.

Ymmv
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2011, 05:48:47 AM »
Thank you kindly, so a +1 bonus to defence whilst weilding a sword is ok but a +2 would be excessive unless you add something like a -1 to hit. 
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 06:02:28 AM by bitterpill »

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 11:53:59 AM »
Thank you kindly, so a +1 bonus to defence whilst weilding a sword is ok but a +2 would be excessive unless you add something like a -1 to hit. 

Probably, yes.  The way I would run it is that you get +2 to defense if you defend melee with a sword, but your next attack is at -1 to attack.  That would not be overpowered.  In some ways it would be like a cross between sprinting and zone changing rules.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 07:41:17 PM »
I disagree. The rules for stunt creation say that attack bonuses are limited to +1, but they don't say anything about defence bonuses.

Also, one of the example Athletics stunts gives +2 to defence under certain circumstances.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 08:21:36 PM »
I disagree. The rules for stunt creation say that attack bonuses are limited to +1, but they don't say anything about defence bonuses.

Also, one of the example Athletics stunts gives +2 to defence under certain circumstances.

Sprinting.

While sprinting you get +2 to defense rolls if you have inhuman speed.

Total defense.

If your character declares total defense and takes a defensive action during his/her action, they get +2 to defense the rest of the round.

Moving one zone as a supplemental action.

Means the character's actual action will be at -1.

Using those trappings as a template or statute, one could figure that +2 to defense using a sword (probably a specific weapon would have to be named) on a defense roll at the cost of -1 to any action on the player's action would be appropriate.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 08:29:13 PM »
I don't follow your logic. Sprinting is not a supplemental action, it's a full action. I base my opinion on:

A) The lack of a specific reference to defensive stunts anywhere in either book.
and B) The "Too Fast To Hit" stunt on page 149 of YS.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 08:46:13 PM »
I don't follow your logic. Sprinting is not a supplemental action, it's a full action. I base my opinion on:

A) The lack of a specific reference to defensive stunts anywhere in either book.
and B) The "Too Fast To Hit" stunt on page 149 of YS.

::shrug:: It's not RAW, so whether the stunt would be allowed or not would be at the GM's discretion.

If I were GMing I think I would also take into account whether the character is supernatural or not.  Supernatural stunts/powers should be a bit more powerful in my opinion to reflect the extra 2 refresh a pure mortal character gets.

Either way, I think even the most hardcore GM would agree that a -2 to the character's next action would make the stunt allowable.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 11:00:58 PM »
It is RAW, actually. A stunt can add +2 to a non-attack trapping. They even give an example of how that works with defence.

If you mean that the GM can disallow such a stunt because it isn't in the core book, remember that a GM can disallow stunts that are in the core book too.

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 11:07:59 PM »
Ok so the rules tend to side with the idea of a plus 2 to defence in certain circumstances?
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 11:15:57 PM by bitterpill »

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 11:12:28 PM »
This is from an out of date pdf, my gm looks after the
books which we group bought. Which is why i
assume a flat +2 to defence was wrong.

Perhaps reconsider referencing an acknowledged out-of-date PDF on the boards? It could definitely reduce confusion.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2011, 11:13:49 PM »
kk my bad.

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2011, 11:34:53 PM »
And, bitterpill, no offense, but please, please, please, try to proofread your posts before posting them.  I've been skipping over your posts because it's been getting frustrating trying to read and then comprehend a big block of text that is misspelled and poorly punctuated.  And that's not a good habit for me to be getting into and it's not fair to you either.
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 12:10:54 AM »
Sorry about that too I am dyslexic but I have defiantly been letting that go. It was sloppy of me and I will check my posts in future so as to avoid any further offense.