Author Topic: True Hope  (Read 3367 times)

Offline MacShidhe

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
True Hope
« on: February 04, 2011, 08:45:13 PM »
Hi All,

I have a plenty of examples of True Love (John 15:13) and True Courage (House Malvora is advised to avoid fire fighters, police officers, returning veterans, and Gurkhas) but I'm having trouble thinking of examples of True Hope.  May I ask for some examples?

I apologize if this has been brought up before on these boards.
Full Assed FTW!

DV MacShidhe v1.2 YR2 FR 0.75 BK++  RP++++ JB++ TH+ WG ?CL+ SW BC+ MC SH [Murphy++, Molly--, Elaine -]

NERO Plot Merc - "Have Mod, Will Travel"

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: True Hope
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 09:02:30 PM »
Huh.  You're right, nothing immediately jumps to mind.  Maybe just declare that it's roughly equivalent to True Faith?  (Though, to be fair there, I could see some interpretations of hope vs. faith that would preclude both existing within a single individual...)

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 09:06:07 PM »
I suppose the eternal optimist who believes that with enough effort tomorrow can definatly be better than today.
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline infusco

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 09:18:50 PM »
Richard Simmons!

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 09:20:12 PM »
Children. Children have Hope.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2011, 09:42:21 PM »
The Unbroken Prisoner. Someone who has seen the depths they could sink to, and understands real despair, but turns away from it nonetheless.

Much like I don't think one could have True Courage without knowing fear, at least in my opinion.

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2011, 09:46:40 PM »
The Unbroken Prisoner. Someone who has seen the depths they could sink to, and understands real despair, but turns away from it nonetheless.

Much like I don't think one could have True Courage without knowing fear, at least in my opinion.

Quote from: Babylon 5, Intersections In Real Time
   John Sheridan: You just have to say "no, I won't" one more time than they can say "yes, you will".
Quote from: Babylon 5, Intersections In Real Time
   John Sheridan: You know, it's funny, I was thinking about what you said, that the preeminent truth of our age is that you cannot fight the system. But if, as you say, the truth is fluid, that the truth is subjective, then maybe you can fight the system. As long as just one person refuses to be broken, refuses to bow down.
    Interrogator: But can you win?
    John Sheridan: Every time I say "no."

Something like that?
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline toturi

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 08:39:48 AM »
Mr Mandela
With your laws of magic, wizards would pretty much just be helpless carebears who can only do magic tricks. - BumblingBear

Offline Sitrein

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 08:47:43 PM »
personally the "True Hope" thing just doesn't make sense to me and I think it's kind of stupid. In my games, I run it as True Faith making true believers slightly more powerful if only for a single enemy (or potential friend) but still. True Faith just works better for it, imo.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 09:19:44 PM »
What about brand new parents?

Pregnant women may be a no-no for vampies allergic to hope too.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline sjksprocket

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2011, 04:32:50 PM »
ME. The eternal optimist. Everyone and everything can improve if we try.

personally the "True Hope" thing just doesn't make sense to me and I think it's kind of stupid. In my games, I run it as True Faith making true believers slightly more powerful if only for a single enemy (or potential friend) but still. True Faith just works better for it, imo.

I think that your on the right track here. A good amount of people with True Faith would be in the same category as far as I see it. Try imagining some people with the same personality, just without faith in the picture.
"The door is ajar"

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2011, 04:42:09 PM »
Something like that?

Yes.

This also has the side effect of being able to be used much, much easier for dramatic effect.

Offline Imp

• Conversationalist
  • Global Thermonuclear War
    • View Profile
    • Imp's Corner
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2011, 04:46:45 PM »
Blue Lanterns
Imp's Corner

Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream-Lewis Carroll

Offline bibliophile20

• Conversationalist
  • Mmmm.... BBQ.
    • View Profile
    • Gaming Group Wiki: UR-Talarius
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2011, 04:50:55 PM »
Blue Lanterns

???  Care to elaborate?
Tips for the Evil Henchman:
#12. If the seemingly helpless person you have just cornered is confident and unafraid despite being outnumbered and surrounded, you have encountered a Hero in disguise. Run while you still can.

DFRPG Resources Wiki

Offline Imp

• Conversationalist
  • Global Thermonuclear War
    • View Profile
    • Imp's Corner
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2011, 05:51:12 PM »
The Blue lantern Corp from DC  (yes flexing my geek muscle lol)

green lanterns run off Will

Blue power rings run off Hope
Imp's Corner

Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die: Ever drifting down the stream --Lingering in the golden gleam --Life, what is it but a dream-Lewis Carroll