Author Topic: Historical settings in DFRPG?  (Read 1888 times)

Offline MAK

• Participant
    • View Profile
Historical settings in DFRPG?
« on: February 04, 2011, 06:57:45 AM »
From what I've seen on this board, most campaigns seem to focus on present day and the majority of those to the USA - probably due to the player base, I guess...

Anyone else running a historical setting?

I know of Rick Neal's Fearful Symmetries campaign (http://www.rickneal.ca/?cat=334) set in early 17th century Prague

Our group is just starting a campaign in early 16th century Venice (think Assassin's Creed II without the assassins...)

Any experiences or thoughts about using this sort of setting? Do the DFRPG rules need tweaking?

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
Re: Historical settings in DFRPG?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2011, 07:39:33 AM »
I tried starting 2 of them. One set in 1300s, one set in 1700. Neither worked that well for me, didn't get off the ground. Games in cities from other countries have issues as well. It seems easier to work with what you know.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline MAK

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 08:18:11 AM »
Our gaming group has usually been reluctant to play in environments that are too familiar either - it's an escapist hobby after all. DFRPG setting as such is a bit too American in style to easily fit in contemporary Finland in our opinion (I've heard others do that - it's just not for us).

Offline Captain Indigo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2011, 02:04:00 PM »
For what it's worth, I believe Fred has said that one of the chapters in Rumors from the Paranet will cover the Russian revolution and and Simon Pietrovich's involvement in it.

Offline MAK

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2011, 02:24:09 PM »
Yes, I'm looking forward to that with interest - Russia is a setting not often seen in RPG's. South America seems also be covered to some extent in the book, but where is the rest of Europe??? Do we have to come up with everything ourselves? (Not that it is anything new, rather enjoyable actually)

Offline Watson

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 10:51:08 AM »
I hope that, when we start our DFRPG in a year or so, we'll play in modern day Stockholm, Sweden. It's not the city we live in, but it's in the country we live in. As a someone wrote earlier, I think that it is difficult to play in the same city as you live in.

Offline Hadeshorn

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2011, 06:49:36 AM »
One of my gaming buddies is running a game set in the American Wild West.  From a game standpoint, things are going fairly well to my knowledge.

I've been pondering running some sort of Victorian era game set in London or Paris.

Offline Katarn

• Posty McPostington
  • Morgan- Best Warden ever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2011, 07:05:34 AM »
I'm starting up a Rome game with some IRL friends, set present day.  I may have flashback sequences they can act out.  I'm more waiting for "Tales of the Paranet" and its Russian Revolution piece to get a feel for another time period.

Offline MAK

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2011, 09:36:08 AM »
I contacted Evil Hat a few days back about the Paranet book and asked if they could include some thoughts (a sidebar or such would be fine) on non-contemporary settings in general as they have had to think about the issue anyway when writing the Russian Revolution part. No response yet...

Offline Warpmind

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 11:52:14 AM »
My group is starting a campaign in Bergen, Norway... Also known as the city with the largest presence of occultism in Europe...

We've got the Sorcerer's Apprentice, the Ghost Whisperer, His Excessive Holyness Dirty Harry, the old Unseelie Changeling Prosecutor and the Fire Elemental in the group.

...Let's just say that this is going to be an interesting year for Bergen...
...You know the character is special, when reloading his frying pan is the right thing to do in a battle on the high seas...