Author Topic: BB007 - A Storm's A-Comin', Pa!  (Read 45781 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
BB007 - A Storm's A-Comin', Pa!
« on: March 28, 2007, 03:16:24 AM »
Download the podcast here

(43min 04sec) Fred (or is that Iago?) talks about visiting with Jim at StellarCon, dishes on the future of the Dresden Files and Codex Alera series, and with White Night about to hit stores, talks about Dresden #10.  Plus, information about Jim's signing tour and bookstore appearances, a deeper look at the foundations of the Dresden Files RPG, and a chat with one of our forum regulars about the last four episodes of the TV show.

The Music:
Catching Up at StellarCon:
Jim's April Signing Tour:
White Night
Codex Alera
The Dresden Files RPG
Dresden Files TV Downloads
Fred's Quick Plugs
Priscilla's Quick Plugs
Ryan Macklin's Master Plan: http://masterplan.libsyn.com/
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Re: BB007 - A Storm's A-Comin', Pa!
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 11:28:54 AM »
Man, that was quick!  *skips off to download*

Correction:  "with the Storm Front audio book coming out just a few days ago" --> "Summer Knight" :D
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 02:17:26 PM by Priscellie »

ToddM326

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 12:31:22 PM »
I really enjoyed that episode!

- I agree with priscille, we need more Alera in the podcasts! 
- Sounds quality was really great.  It sounds like you are getting more comfortable with each podcast!
- I appreciate the news items at the beginning.
- I'd like to put in a vote for Mickey Finn to be the next guest from the forum on the show.  He has done a great job on the forum, and has introduced me to a couple of new series.

(make sure that you listen to the last 30 seconds of the podcast for some blooper goodness)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 01:15:29 PM »
- I agree with priscille, we need more Alera in the podcasts! 

So do I.  I think once the TV show's first season is done, there'll be enough of a reduction in New Dresden Stuff, so I'm betting we'll start getting some Alera-ness by episode 9 or 10 of the podcast at the latest.

- Sounds quality was really great.  It sounds like you are getting more comfortable with each podcast!

Two things played into this. 

One, I got a new microphone that does noise cancellation in the hardware, so I didn't have to process out the background white noise this time around.

Two, this was a direct skype-to-skype conversation instead of skype-to-phone, which always seems to be a little lower quality. 

It also helped that Priscellie's got a good voice for podcasting. :)

- I appreciate the news items at the beginning.

Good, I'm trying to make sure that the podcast has a "loose" structure of news-then-opinions.

- I'd like to put in a vote for Mickey Finn to be the next guest from the forum on the show.  He has done a great job on the forum, and has introduced me to a couple of new series.

Yep, Mickey's very high on the list.  Priscellie was at the top because she's the one who keeps feeding me the audio captures from the TV show.

(make sure that you listen to the last 30 seconds of the podcast for some blooper goodness)

I don't put in a blooper reel very often (this is the second one ever), but the ones this time I thought had some genuine comedic value. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline SoulCatcher78

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • dA page
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 03:13:47 PM »
Got it downloaded but I only got to listen to the first few minutes before I had to leave for work (knew I should have dl'd onto the ipod for work listening...hindsight, oh well).  I have to agree with the sound quality being improved, good hardware is always a worthy investment.  I will look forward to finally putting a voice with a name for Priscellie later today.

ToddM326

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 05:51:40 PM »
I probably worded that strangely.  I meant to say that I enjoyed the news items themselves. 

Whether they were at the beginning or at the end does not matter to me, as long as I get my fix.  :-)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2007, 05:55:49 PM by ToddM326 »

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2007, 07:43:16 PM »
I probably worded that strangely.  I meant to say that I enjoyed the news items themselves. 

Whether they were at the beginning or at the end does not matter to me, as long as I get my fix.  :-)

Got it.  Well, you've got my thoughts on format anyway! ;)
Fred Hicks

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2007, 07:57:40 PM »
Hmmm... I think I'll start listening to these then.  Starting at the first and so on.
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob: Offline but not forgotten.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2007, 08:54:20 PM »
Another great episode! It's good to see that we have some Alera love coming soon. I just got my gf to finally read the codex after re-reading it to be able to discuss. While I am thrilled to have White Knight and the show to talk about I want more Alera! December seems like way too far away...

It was great to have a voice to associate with Pricellie, and I am green with nerd-envy!
On thing about her audio: I was picking up a weird pre-echo on her words, like she was speaking from the other side in Poltergeist. I don't know if it was just a bad phone connection or if it was the software. It's the first time I noticed this in an interview and wanted to let you know.

All in all, another great episode, I just hope the next episode isn't in another 4 weeks!  :P
A noble spirit enbiggens the smallest man.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2007, 09:33:59 PM »
All in all, another great episode, I just hope the next episode isn't in another 4 weeks!  :P

It may be three; we've got three episodes left in the TV series, and I think I want to have the first season sewn up in BB008.
Fred Hicks

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2007, 09:41:12 PM »
It was great to have a voice to associate with Pricellie, and I am green with nerd-envy!
On thing about her audio: I was picking up a weird pre-echo on her words, like she was speaking from the other side in Poltergeist. I don't know if it was just a bad phone connection or if it was the software. It's the first time I noticed this in an interview and wanted to let you know.

Crap, you figured it out!  All this time, I've been posting from beyond the grave.  I would have gotten away with it too, if not for you meddling kids!

Offline Kalin

• Conversationalist
  • Mouse started as a pup and turned into a giant!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2007, 10:04:14 PM »
Just listened to it late last nite.  Good Episode.  Way to go Priscellie!

You're an internet star now!! I also love the soundclips Fred.  They're one of my fave parts at the beginning each show.

Offline trboturtle

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Trboturtle's writing pad
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2007, 10:39:05 PM »
Listened toi it, but for some reason, some of the conversation with Priscellie wasn't so loud -- I had to turn the speakers and sound card all the way up to hear it. Did anyone have the same problem?

Craig
Author of 25+ stories for Battlecorps.com, the official website for Battletech canon stories.
Co-author of "Outcasts Ops: African Firestorm," "Outcast Ops: Red Ice," & "Outcast Ops: Watchlist"
http://thebattletechstate.blogspot.com

Offline Kiriath

• Conversationalist
  • We rise or fall...
    • View Profile
    • Sa Souvraya Niende Misain Ye
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2007, 10:50:39 PM »
Cool as usual. Nice to hear you, Priscellie!

Some of the conversation sounded quiet, around the 33, 34 minute area? I can't find it now.
Dr. Juruna: What doth it profit a man to gain the whole world and suffer the loss of his own soul?
Dr. Haas: Well, he profits by one entire world for starters...
A Miracle of Science

Bonded to the Traveler of the Ways

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 11:12:23 PM »
Listened toi it, but for some reason, some of the conversation with Priscellie wasn't so loud -- I had to turn the speakers and sound card all the way up to hear it. Did anyone have the same problem?

I'll try to keep an eye/ear on that in the future.  The volume levels fluctuated a bit over the course of conversation, and I tried to adjust where I could.
Fred Hicks