Author Topic: Thaumatergy at the speed of evocation  (Read 14236 times)

Offline arete

• Conversationalist
  • Kitchen GM
    • View Profile
Re: Thaumatergy at the speed of evocation
« Reply #90 on: February 03, 2011, 12:25:32 AM »
Emailed fred my buff thread today hoping he can clarifiy in the next book.  It was nice, quick and easy.  I think this thread would also be good for him to look at.
Posting from a cell phone excuss my typoes

Offline jybil178

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 03, 2011, 12:28:02 AM »
Heheh, agreed, but I don't like the idea of bothering him about it... >.< I'd feel awkward doing so :P
my 2 cents

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #92 on: February 03, 2011, 12:32:46 AM »
The best thing would be to boil down the specific questions, maybe adding in some of the community opinions, into a short, quick essay - then email that. And, that would facilitate a quicker answer than a simple "go read this thread and tell us what you think." Nothing to be awkward about at all.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 03, 2011, 01:00:45 AM »
The best thing would be to boil down the specific questions, maybe adding in some of the community opinions, into a short, quick essay - then email that. And, that would facilitate a quicker answer than a simple "go read this thread and tell us what you think." Nothing to be awkward about at all.

Agreed.  I'm still thinking about how to phrase the question.

I really don't want to come off as annoying or as a rules lawyer.  I also want to phrase it in such a way as to explain how much some people care about the resolution of the question but without coming off as demanding.

Writing respectfully can take a while - especially with a convoluted issue. :P
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #94 on: February 03, 2011, 01:14:08 AM »
Agreed.  I'm still thinking about how to phrase the question.

I really don't want to come off as annoying or as a rules lawyer.  I also want to phrase it in such a way as to explain how much some people care about the resolution of the question but without coming off as demanding.

Writing respectfully can take a while - especially with a convoluted issue. :P

I'm a Lit Major, editor and something of an amateur diplomat - I would be happy to proofread anything you plan to send.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline jybil178

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 03, 2011, 02:12:18 AM »
Hehe, do you think you could basically paraphrase the current discussion, and bring it to a more manageable level?  Basically, while I know this would probably not be too high on the priority list, I can easily see a few more potential sponsors added in the upcoming supplement, and would find it fairly easy to add a small clarifications side-note about the pure, intended mechanics in the general area...  At least, I can see it happening :P
my 2 cents

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 03, 2011, 02:14:32 AM »
I'm a Lit Major, editor and something of an amateur diplomat - I would be happy to proofread anything you plan to send.

I may take you up on that.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 03, 2011, 05:47:07 AM »
I really don't want to come off as annoying or as a rules lawyer.

Pshh. There's an easy way to do that. Blame us. ;D
"The guys on the forum think... P.S. They are smelly."

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 03, 2011, 07:47:14 AM »
Pshh. There's an easy way to do that. Blame us. ;D
"The guys on the forum think... P.S. They are smelly."

I may take you up on that too... lol

Offline Moriden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 03, 2011, 01:46:33 PM »
I likly missed some but here are some of the topics ive been discussing with people recently.

1] you can use a block instead of a defensive skill roll, when doing so with evocation the strength is equal to one shift a level and you can use it an extra time per shift put into duration also for some reason called persistence.

2] when useing a block in place of a defensive roll with thumaturgy, it works as above but the base duration is scene, you use the time duration chart instead of +1 round, and the block does not go away after it is breached as per the ward/veil rules.

3] can you use a "block" instead of a non defensive roll [ie alertness for initiative, fists to attack,might to lift or break things]? My current understanding based on some of iago's older posts is yes, but there may not be a lot of RAW to support this.

4] can you use the magic system to gain a +x to a skill roll instead of a "block"? Again some of the moderators earlier posts and a few examples in the book support this  however there is clearly no listed system for how you would do so in the book.

5] when using thaumaturgy at evocation speeds and methods which duration system do you use? and can you then use the evocation method to boost its duration.

6] when creating a "buff" spell is it most appropriate to use "blocks", aspects, or the temporary powers rules, or some combination of them all as appropriate?

7] When useing a shift of persistence/duration [for evocation], do the extra exchanges have to be consequtive, ie are they "gain one extra round" or " the spell can have its affect used one extra time"?

8] is there any reason why you cant/shouldn't use the thaumaturgy and evocation rules interchangeably when it seems appropriate [one example being sponsored magic]

By all means if it will ease the mind of whoever is willing to ask Mr Hicks you can place sole blame on myself, ive already exchanged metaphorical blows with him on some of the less defined parts of the rules before.

for completness sake here is the other thread i am discussing some of these in.
http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23594.new.html#new
Brian Blacknight