Author Topic: WCV that fed off of glutony  (Read 4032 times)

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: WCV that fed off of glutony
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2011, 01:10:55 AM »
At the end of the day, for these emotions we have trouble justifying, we probably cannot pin a nice, neat little White Court House. It wouldn't have evolved because the circumstances involved in feeding that way are too contrived, as our discussion has revealed.

But organisms do evolve to fill plausible niches. So if a story idea can justify a Whampire subsisting on an uncommonly exploited emotion, we can probably conclude that Whampire started out feeding on an existing, easily exploitable emotion (Despair, Fear, Lust) but has simply expanded his tastes,
(click to show/hide)
, perhaps evolving to fill a niche because he was crowded out of his original hunting grounds by rivals in his original House.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline sjksprocket

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2011, 05:23:20 PM »
But my thought was that if a lust based WCV can shut down the inhibitions of a person, then maybe a gluttony WCV could shut down the gag reflex or something similar. It's like a WCV owning a strip/night club. They feed off the latent sexual atmosphere, but that doesn't fully sate them, so a few customers (that wouldn't be missed) would "disappear" from time to time. It has been scientifically been proven that having a food craving sets off the same parts of the brain as a drug addiction, just to lesser degrees. Chocolate Sets off the same part of the brain as sex does. There is more to food then just a need for calories.

If you want to argue a group emotion versus solitary state of mind. Despair resulted in suicide in the books. That can be considered one of the most greedy, most solitary escape method out there. There is no interaction from the vampire or other people like a lust based WCV, except for the manipulation of the mind. They then feed of of the process, and then the death. This is what I was basing the whole idea on.
"The door is ajar"

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2011, 08:28:15 PM »
To be honest I like it sjksprocket. I think you've obviously thought this out enough that you can make it work, so go for it.

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2011, 08:34:19 PM »
I agree that a greed vampire could work especially if you played it well in character, I just think I would less powerful (powergaming a bit I know) than a fear or despair vampire who can root an enemy in place and get it to run, I also think a gluttony vampire would be harder to Role Play and what would a gluttony vampire look like to inspire indulgence.   
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2011, 08:54:34 PM »
Wouldn't a Greed Vamp be able to persuade the enemy mooks to temporarily switch sides?

Offline Drachasor

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2011, 10:29:03 PM »
Despair resulted in suicide in the books. That can be considered one of the most greedy, most solitary escape method out there.

Suicide isn't fundamentally being greedy or selfish...that's just a stupid line people in shows and real life sometimes use against people who do or consider it.  I think looking at it that way in a serious manner really misses the point of what despair and chronic pain really does to a person.  It's more about hopelessness than anything else.

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 10:33:59 PM »
When drowning in nothing what is there to hold on to?  

Sorry the quote is pretty much my opinion on the nature of depression for me, Sucide is not about greed but more about despair. Sorry  ;) I used to write really emo poetry and can't help the occasional turn of Pressumptious Melancholic Tripe. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 10:42:10 PM by bitterpill »

Offline sjksprocket

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 10:43:29 PM »
Suicide isn't fundamentally being greedy or selfish...that's just a stupid line people in shows and real life sometimes use against people who do or consider it.  I think looking at it that way in a serious manner really misses the point of what despair and chronic pain really does to a person.  It's more about hopelessness than anything else.

When drowning in nothing what is there to hold on to? 

Sorry the quote is pretty much my opinion on the nature of depression for me, Sucide is not about greed but more about despair. Sorry  ;) I used to write really emo poetry and can't help the occasional turn of Pressumptious Melancholic Tripe. 

Sorry. I didn't mean their motives would be greedy. But to me suicide is all about their problems/hopelessness and doesn't always reflect the effect that it might have on others, or the fact that there might be another way out, through support, or change, usually with the help of others. That level of despair/hopelessness/pain/reason makes the person (even justifiably) think of nothing or nobody else, which can be outwardly construed at selfish. It was a poor choice of words, but that wasn't the point of the post. So sorry. Do you have any other thoughts on the subject?
"The door is ajar"

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2011, 10:57:10 PM »
No Greed certainly could cause death and despair the inability to own everything, the fact that in the end all you own all you have can't be taken with you, have you heard the poem about Ozymandias 'look upon my works and despair' and all that was left was half a statue of his face the rest was destroyed by time.  Im just not sure a greed White court feed that deeply without investing a lot of time in individuals encouraging his greed, his ambition and watching as he fails to realise what is really important, a greed vampire would have to play more the role of mephistopholes that of a tempter a conniver and a person who makes faustian bargains to truly realise his potential.  

I think though as villans Greed WCV could be awesome if played as connivers and power players, you could have one supporting the party for the whole campaign without you ever realising that he is the villan and manipulating the party.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 11:03:15 PM by bitterpill »

Offline sjksprocket

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2011, 11:09:26 PM »
These guys in my campaign as NPCs. I'm not allowing Vampires as PCs in this campaign.
"The door is ajar"