Author Topic: Unsolved Mysteries Version II  (Read 133547 times)

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Unsolved Mysteries Version II
« Reply #465 on: April 05, 2012, 08:49:03 PM »
All changelings are scions
Not all scions are changelings.

Eb certainly implied that he came from something a bit more exotic than a simple fairy.

I believe that is why the correction was made.

Offline knnn

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: April 09, 2012, 02:51:07 AM »
I had this wonderful theory where Kincaid and Drakul were brothers, and the only difference was that Drakul had made his Choice, while Kincaid was still trying to hold on to his human half (hence his fussyness when being challenged about his humanity).  Also, it would make for an amazing scene when Kincaid finally makes his choice, and Harry suddenly has a world-cracking, Drakul-power-level ally at his side.   "behold as I unleash the HELLHOUND"  8)

Unfortunately, this was shot down in a WoJ where he states that Kincaid already made his choice centuries ago.   :'(

(....Is thinking about writing alternate-timeline fan-fiction where this theory is true).
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline asetti

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: April 12, 2012, 10:51:48 PM »
I know it's probably soft, any theory based on any fact other than a WOJ or the word given in text from a being who is known to be unable to lie is subject to colouration as it is seen and heard through the eyes and ears of one Harry Dresden.  Conversations held with other characters may similarly contain  obfuscation and misdirection if not outright lies.

I take it that we read that passage entirely differently:

This I took to mean that everything before Harry called Kincaid a liar to be false, Kincaid does not deny the lie, he redirects.  When he says he's just as human as Dresden is, I take this to be the only true statement he makes in the conversation, if for no other reason than that is the way I'd do it for dramatic flair – it makes for good storytelling (plus, Kincaid is a prick, I could see him saying something like this just to say “I told you so” later).  If I’m right about Kincaid's statements in Blood Rights, then: if Kincaid is a scion (which defines him as not fully human) Harry must in turn have something unnatural in his bloodline.  Unless I have evidence either of Harry's family tree or a WOJ saying I'm wrong, then 2 of four possible cases for this argument are equal.

1.) Harry and Kincaid are both not fully Human  {x}
2.) Harry is fully human and Kincaid is not        {x}
3.) Both Harry and Kincaid are fully human
4.) Harry is not fully human, but Kincaid is

hmmmm Do we know that wizards are "fully human"?  Don't the vamps consider them aberations?  Maybe Harry is not "fully human" since he is a wizard.
The death rate is the same for us as for anybody ... one person, one death, sooner or later.
Tunnel in the Sky (1955), Captain Helen Walker, Ch. 2

Offline Oirthir

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: April 13, 2012, 07:49:13 PM »
Council calls vanilla humans mortals too

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: April 14, 2012, 01:39:51 PM »
Well biologically speaking.....

Anyone who can breed with humans and get fertile offspring is a human ;D
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
  • The Universe tried to erase Rory once. It exploded
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: April 14, 2012, 03:12:07 PM »
Well biologically speaking.....

Anyone who can breed with humans and get fertile offspring is a human ;D

So the Fae are human, as are the White Court Vamps and the Grendel scion that Harry and Gard killed?
You've managed- in our three years together- to kill not only my god, but my father, my brother, and my fiancée. That's kind of like a homicidal hat trick. It's a strange foundation for a relationship.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: April 15, 2012, 08:45:28 AM »
So the Fae are human, as are the White Court Vamps and the Grendel scion that Harry and Gard killed?
Until somebody comes with another definition of what makes someone human in the dresdenverse the Shide can very well be seen as a subspecies of human.

The white council must have some sort of definition otherwise the first law is useless but I did not see it. And their definition is more a practical one. Not really a logical one. For their law it has some value. For other purposes not.

Kinckaid for example might have chosen a long time ago and he certainly can not seriously claim to be a vanilla mortal but he might see himself as human. And depending on your definition he is or he is not

Species is not really applicable in supernatural biology in the dresdenverse so we need a new definition.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline DragonEyes

• Posty McPostington
  • The Universe tried to erase Rory once. It exploded
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: April 15, 2012, 12:28:39 PM »
That's true enough, though I'm sure each of these groups do have their own criteria for membership and the Wizards probably have tomes and tomes of writings on what constitutes humanity for First Law purposes.
You've managed- in our three years together- to kill not only my god, but my father, my brother, and my fiancée. That's kind of like a homicidal hat trick. It's a strange foundation for a relationship.

Offline romuloht

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: April 15, 2012, 07:06:31 PM »
What proof do we have that Harry's father was human? Ebenazar says he is mortal but we don't really know if he ever met Malcom. Yes, in Blood Rites he says something about Malcom having a good heart, and that would mean that he met him, but if he knew about Harry and Malcom wouldn't he have adopted Harry after Malcom died? Instead of leaving him alone to later be adopted by someone like Justin. And we can't really trust Harry's memories about his father, he was 6 years old when his father died, his memories have to be fuzzy, or they could have been tampered with. Another thing that bugs me is the knowledge that Malcom implies to have in Dead Beat about the things that were happening and what would still happen. I also found it strange that he could contact Harry in his dreams, no spirit (or is it ghost?) has this ability in the DV (as far as I know). There's also the fact that Harry could see him in the end of Dead Beat, if he can't see spirits without using his Sight, how could he see Malcom?
DV romuloht V1.2 YR2 BK++ !RP JB--- TH+++ WG+++ CL+++ SW BC++ MC+ SH[Molly++, Elaine+, Lash+, Murphy-]

Mark my words, Lash will be back!

Offline Veggie Lamb

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: April 29, 2012, 11:29:46 PM »
What proof do we have that Harry's father was human? Ebenazar says he is mortal but we don't really know if he ever met Malcom. Yes, in Blood Rites he says something about Malcom having a good heart, and that would mean that he met him, but if he knew about Harry and Malcom wouldn't he have adopted Harry after Malcom died? Instead of leaving him alone to later be adopted by someone like Justin. And we can't really trust Harry's memories about his father, he was 6 years old when his father died, his memories have to be fuzzy, or they could have been tampered with. Another thing that bugs me is the knowledge that Malcom implies to have in Dead Beat about the things that were happening and what would still happen. I also found it strange that he could contact Harry in his dreams, no spirit (or is it ghost?) has this ability in the DV (as far as I know). There's also the fact that Harry could see him in the end of Dead Beat, if he can't see spirits without using his Sight, how could he see Malcom?

Yes, I've been considering that someone may have fiddled with Harry's mind long before the start of everything. For I awhile I suspected Merlin would end up Harry's father ( hence all the tension there), but I'm considering the possibility that Harry might have been Maggie's special project created with a purpose. Harry isn't just an insignificant wizard. He isn't even a normal significant wizard. Harry is something special.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: April 30, 2012, 01:12:14 AM »
Harry isn't just an insignificant wizard. He isn't even a normal significant wizard. Harry is something special.

Wasn't that kinda stated when Lash pointed out that he has "power over Outsiders"?
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline GremlinsToolbox

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Gremlin's Toolbox
Re: Unsolved Mysteries Version II- Mac
« Reply #476 on: June 01, 2012, 02:03:59 PM »
At the beginning of 'Changes' Harry goes to Mac's and, weirdly, Butcher describes Mac as having thick wrists. So, all you pulp fiction lovers may realize that Mac is probably a Master of Sinanju!
My substance was not hid from thee, when I was made in secret, and curiously wrought in the lowest parts of the earth.- Psalm 139:15

Offline parthagenon

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: June 21, 2012, 05:23:41 AM »
Okay, this thread is waaay overdue for some updating.  I apologize for the neglect in updating the OP- if I have time in the next couple of weeks, an Unsolved Mysteries 2.1 may soon happen.
"Battle not with monsters, lest you become a sad stain on the carpet, and if you gaze into the abyss, you will get very bored."
"No, the crab is immune to your charms.  You can, however, roll a seduction check for the cuttlefish."
-the DM

Offline aShorty21

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: June 21, 2012, 06:59:05 PM »
Please do. I want to comment on some things, but 32 pages is too much to get caught up on. I'll wait till the OP is up to date.

And thanks for keeping this.
DV aShorty21 V1.2 YR5 FR4 BK++ RP- JB TH++ WG++ CL SW BC++ MC---- SH(Velvet Room+++++,Murphy+++,Sarissa++,Lash+,Lara+,Molly--)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 07, 2012, 04:26:02 PM »
Until somebody comes with another definition of what makes someone human in the dresdenverse the Shide can very well be seen as a subspecies of human.

having a soul, and, seemingly ensuingly, having free will ? faerie have neither.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.