Author Topic: Unsolved Mysteries Version II  (Read 133455 times)

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Re: Unsolved Mysteries Version II
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2011, 04:16:55 AM »
Your WOJ thread is, on its own, responsible for eating at least 50% of my DF thought processer.  In fact, it probably ate even more while I was compiling this, since I ended up deleting at least a dozen questions from my original (mental) list due to the spontaneous recollection of various WOJs.

I didn't make the material I just compiled it.  One of the main reasons why I did so was to make it easier to theorize, both for me and for anyone else who choses to use it :)  So I'm glad it helped you in this endeavor.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline parthagenon

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2011, 01:31:34 AM »
***New Update***

Finally got around to reading a friend's copy of the DFRPG, and picked up some new questions.

Added:
-Who sent the scarecrow after Glau, and why?
-Is Corpsetaker still alive?*
-Why is the Gatekeeper helping Harry?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 01:33:32 AM by parthagenon »
"Battle not with monsters, lest you become a sad stain on the carpet, and if you gaze into the abyss, you will get very bored."
"No, the crab is immune to your charms.  You can, however, roll a seduction check for the cuttlefish."
-the DM

Offline Linamar

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2011, 05:00:18 AM »
Here's not so much of a mystery, as an interesting tidbit:

In Dead Beat, Lash is able to recall the text of the Erlking book perfectly.  But Harry never read it before Corpsetaker stole it.  So one of her previous hosts must have read it.  And Harry mentions that Wizard Peabody only published it about a century ago.  That means Lasciel was running around sometime in the last 100 years.  I wonder if we're going to see anything that she had a hand in?

And just to keep this as a mystery post, the question would be, who was Lasciel's last host, and who brought her down?

Offline parthagenon

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2011, 06:31:44 AM »
Sounds interesting- Added!
"Battle not with monsters, lest you become a sad stain on the carpet, and if you gaze into the abyss, you will get very bored."
"No, the crab is immune to your charms.  You can, however, roll a seduction check for the cuttlefish."
-the DM

Offline Brackenfur

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2011, 01:55:42 PM »
Didn't Harry quickly page through the book, relying on Lash's ability to read it back to him? Like she did with Thomas's board?

Offline parthagenon

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2011, 03:05:47 PM »
I don't think so- at that point, he still thought Lasciel's projection was an actual woman named Sheila.
-the DM

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2011, 03:32:44 PM »
Didn't Harry quickly page through the book, relying on Lash's ability to read it back to him? Like she did with Thomas's board?

I thought this was the case as well. I guess I will have to quit being so lazy and go look it up.....later.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Joefoe

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2011, 06:06:10 PM »
No he had just found out that Sheila was Lash. He knew she had photographic memory and did a quick scan of every page, right after that scene he raises Sue and goes beats down the corpsetaker

Offline Landing

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2011, 10:06:42 PM »
Lash recalled the Word of Kemmler for Harry with photographic memory not the Erlking book, two different books people.  ;D
Purveyor of the theory that the overarching plot of the Dresdenverse is that its all the dinosaur's fault.

DISCLAIMER: What Duck's says but funnier.

Offline Lash Dresden

• Posty McPostington
  • Loneliness or solitude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2011, 10:09:00 PM »
Lash recalled the Word of Kemmler for Harry with photographic memory not the Erlking book, two different books people.  ;D
She recalled specific info from Peabody's Erlking book so Harry could summon him and keep him trapped in a circle in Murphy's back yard to keep anyone else from summoning him. 
Everyone on this earth wants to feel like they matter.

Offline Landing

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2011, 10:14:33 PM »
excuse me, i misworded my post I meant to say she recalled the word of kemmler after harry read it with photographic memory not the erlking book which she recalled as Shelia without harry ever reading it. they are two different books and two different times she remembered them. I try to resolve the confusion and only add to it by leaving out key words.  :P
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 10:16:43 PM by Landing »
Purveyor of the theory that the overarching plot of the Dresdenverse is that its all the dinosaur's fault.

DISCLAIMER: What Duck's says but funnier.

Offline Shevik Muppet

• Participant
  • The important things don't need to be said.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2011, 11:36:59 PM »
Thought of a new one:
What's the deal with the famous historical warrior kings and the swords being wielded by their decedents?

Offline parthagenon

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2011, 12:10:28 AM »
Thought of a new one:
What's the deal with the famous historical warrior kings and the swords being wielded by their decedents?

Added, with an asterisk because Harry already theorized about them being tied to responsibility.
-the DM

Offline LogicMouseLives

• Posty McPostington
  • Hop on the logic train!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2011, 02:05:50 AM »
Here's not so much of a mystery, as an interesting tidbit:

In Dead Beat, Lash is able to recall the text of the Erlking book perfectly.  But Harry never read it before Corpsetaker stole it.  So one of her previous hosts must have read it.  And Harry mentions that Wizard Peabody only published it about a century ago.  That means Lasciel was running around sometime in the last 100 years.  I wonder if we're going to see anything that she had a hand in?

And just to keep this as a mystery post, the question would be, who was Lasciel's last host, and who brought her down?

Not the case, in fact. Harry reads through the Earlking book the night of his first  visit to B.O.B. (Bock Ordered Books), just before he falls asleep and has the dream about his dad. This was after Sheila introduced herself, but before he discovered who she was. In fact, later on (sitting at Murphy's kitchen table, talking about the possibility of summoning the Earlking using something in the book) there's this exchange between Harry and Butters:
Quote from:  Dead Beat PB page 251
"I have to figure out how to call up the Earlking," I said.

"Is that why everyone wanted that book?"

"Apparently."

"But you had it. Heck, you read it."

In fact, that's the same conversation where Butters' comment "It's too bad you don't have a photographic memory," just a few lines further on, leads Harry to realize that Sheila could help.

So no, she didn't necessarily have to have read it before, but to keep the consideration alive, I'll point out that if she hadn't previously read it through someone else's eyes, she was taking something of a risk in claiming to know it before Harry did. What if he hadn't?

LML

By the way, really cool idea, parthagenon!
GENERATION 25: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

DV LogicMouseLives v1.1 YR4.5FR4 BK++++ JB+ TH(+++) WG CL BC- SH [Murphy+++ Molly--] RP++ MC----FF++++

Offline Skip6235

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2011, 02:27:44 AM »
Actually, the part that bothered me the most about Sheila (besides the fact that she turned out to not be real just when I was all ready for shipping!) was that she knew where the Earlking book was on the shelf, and that there were 2 copies but someone had bought one already. How did she know that, without Harry knowing?
DV Skip6235 v1.2 YR3.5 FR2.5 BK+++ RP-(++) JB- TH(++) WG+ CL SW BC(++) MC++(-)(--)(---)(!) SH[Elaine++ Lash++ Molly++ Murphy--Stacy+++]