Author Topic: GM help requested for running DFRPG online  (Read 1243 times)

Offline cgodfrey7

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
GM help requested for running DFRPG online
« on: December 09, 2010, 07:22:57 PM »
I have been a table-top GM for AD&D years ago, and would like to start a DFRPG game in January set in Tampa, FL, when I return from vacation.  I was wondering if there were some guidelines/suggestions as to how to go about this as many of you have already experienced this.  The two main approaches I see are play by post, or play by chat.  Pros?  Cons?  Suggestions?  My initial thought is to create three threads in the Play By Post area; City Creation, Character Creation, and IC posts for the actual game.  For those that run the Play By Post, do you have the chat up also for public/private messages?  How do you save the chat info?  Thanks and have a great holiday.

Offline Amelia Crane

• Conversationalist
  • Estranged Daughter of Darby Crane
    • View Profile
Re: GM help requested for running DFRPG online
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2010, 12:28:50 PM »
I'm a little surprised somebody with more DFRPG PbP experience hasn't answered this.  I myself have only just started playing here.  I do have some experience with D&D PbP, though, both running and playing.

First, as to play-by-post vs. play-by-chat.  I've never actually done play by chat, but I imagine it goes much faster than play by post.  Something more akin to a traditional tabletop RPG.  Which is good.  But it seems it also requires a bit more prep work.  Taking several minutes out of running a chat game to type up the box text for the next scene is probably not going to work well.  It also requires that you and your players be available on the same schedule.

Play-by-post, on the other hand, is very slow, but so long as everybody remains active, still quite productive.  It requires the same time for typing up intro text for each scene, but you don't have to do it until it comes up.  So when the players completely derail your expected plot with their ingenuity or inanity (they always do), you haven't wasted any work.

Second, how to start a game here.  Just start an "interest" or "recruitment" thread.  It will probably get player responses very quickly.  There are always more interested players than fillable player positions due to lack of GMs.  And most games seem to have a very short shelf-life.  The "City Creation" and "In Character" threads can wait until you have a set of players chosen and/or characters created.  Be sure to include all relevant information in your first post of the recruitment thread.  Power level (refresh, skills, and skill cap), city (or at least possible cities), any desired aspects or themes (if you have any), number of players you want, how you will select players, restrictions on types of characters, anything else you want.

The chat can be a good way for you and your players to hash out things quickly.  Whether it be ideas for new locations and faces or problems with characters.  Once there has been a chat where something important has been discussed, I just do a 'select all' then 'copy' and 'paste' into a text document or a reply on these boards.  The chat saves a lot of back text (so long as you don't log out).  There may be a maximum buffer size, but I have never reached it.  The chat is not, however, necessary.  There is a message system on the boards so private conversations can occur through that.

Offline JesterOC

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2010, 04:03:51 PM »
I play in a D&D and Dresden Files games via play by chat. To me it is the way to go, play by post games die so much more quickly than play by chat games. Although the Holidays and NaNoWriMo interrupted our schedule for about a month we are (hopefully) back on schedule.

With Dresden Files we use Skype and roll the dice at our own locations using the honor system, I also tried to play in several play by post games, and they all have started very slowly and died most times before gameplay has even started. However I do know someone who has played a 19 month game of D&D via play by post, so your results may varies.

Both my play by chat games where setup via Twitter, where their is a strong D&D community, and a good portion of those players are interested in Dresden Files also. If you want to contact people on twitter about Dresden Files use the #dfrpg hashtag and you should find several folks who are interested.

Good luck with setting up your game...

JesterOC

Offline tymire

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2010, 05:16:28 PM »
Will second the playing by chat/voice, it works quite well normally and is much more like sitting around a table.  For the voice program most folks use Skype, however teamspeak is common also.  Maptools is a great free program for rolling and also ofcourse for maps or pics that you might want to pass around.

If you want PM me and will walk you through everything.  It's all fairly simple.  Hehe also yell if you want another player =p.