Author Topic: How to build a Grimoire or Magical Codex  (Read 2276 times)

Offline The Codex

• Participant
    • View Profile
How to build a Grimoire or Magical Codex
« on: December 02, 2010, 10:24:53 AM »

Ok I have been trying to get my head arouind something and can't.

Have looked through the books (alot) and need an answer for, can I build a IoP that is both a focus and a bonus to a skill, or allows for adding maneuvers, not supernatrual powers

The reason being is the item needs to be really flexible but will have no inherent powers of its own, none, squat, nada.

However as a Grimoire/or Magical Codex it will allow the character to add to his checks by using the Item for help within certain frames of reference (in this case the Dead)

The Characters Aspect is: Keeper of the Book of Last Requests, and basically he makes deals for the dead to interact on there behalf on the mortal plane. However if he ever needs a favour returned he can go back to one of the deals he or his family have made in the past an claim on it. (note as an aspect as well the player can be compelled to pay up on deals his family have made in the past for gain with no payment)

Any help would be appreciated as I have hit a mental brick wall for good ways to reflect this and it will be an intrinsic part of the character so want it to feel right

(note he is a focused practioner (ectomancer), with dead speak, from a long family of "mediums" back to the victorian age when the book was created)

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
Re: How to build a Grimoire or Magical Codex
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2010, 11:51:10 AM »
You could create some sort of sponsored magic and link it to the book. It would cover the bonus on spells and you can give it some other perks. Plus you can take the debts part of sponsored magic to represent the favours owed.

If you don't want the book to have the power, just use it to colour your character, but don't tie the power to the book. But as an heirloom, I think it would fit perfectly, if the sponsored magic would reside in the book and be passed on from generation to generation. Plus if you use the book either way, linking the sponsor to the book as an item of power will save you a refresh or two ;)
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2010, 12:44:58 PM »
IoP's can add whatever bonuses you like. You're not limited to powers as such. Just look at the swords of the cross. Some of the abilities have no counterpart among the powers in the Book.
Just invent abilities the IoP should impart, and use other stunts or powers as guidelines for pricing

Maybe something like this:

IoP: The Book of last Requests.
It is what it is.: A Heavy Leather-bound Grimoire.
Grants the following abilities
[-1] - Community of the Dead: Use Lore instead of contacts when dealing with the dead.
[-2] - A history of Bargains: When researching bargains past, or communing with the dead about future or past bargains, gain +2 to your Lore. Also get +1 to social skill checks when haggling over conditions for deals with the dead.
[+1] - One time discount
-----------------------
total cost -2

« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 12:53:12 PM by Tsunami »

Offline Amelia Crane

• Conversationalist
  • Estranged Daughter of Darby Crane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2010, 02:25:37 PM »
This sounds to me like an item that would have the demonic co-pilot ability.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 04:48:15 PM »
Give the book Occultist stunts, or a corresponding power. Lots of knowledge there.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2010, 06:52:00 PM »
Or if you want to you can treat it as a sponsor sans magic (I.E. debt and compels only). Don't know what I'd price that out to but I'm sure others will have ideas.

Offline easl

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2010, 02:12:58 AM »
Any help would be appreciated as I have hit a mental brick wall for good ways to reflect this and it will be an intrinsic part of the character so want it to feel right

I don't think you have to give it any special powers at all to have a reason to have a grimoire.   Thaumaturgy above your Lore requires props.  It seems perfectly reasonable to me to say the grimoire you keep back at your apartment is one of your standard props.  When you have access to it, your GM can reduce the time required to collect ritual components (in addition to the aspect bonus you might add to your casting roll).  When you don't have access to it, time to collect goes up.

Offline Alatain

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2010, 02:42:45 AM »
I had a character in my game that had a book that he wanted to be a dual edged sword. It would have access to great amounts of lore and information, but the information tended to be darker in nature and often ended up straying close to law breaking. Effectively this worked out really well as simply an aspect.

He would use it to add +2 to research and lore checks, or darker magics. I used it to compel him with edgy circumstances that resulted from the information that he acquired.

It did not need any powers. It did not need any bonuses beyond the normal aspects. It just worked. Really well actually.

Offline Cyberchihuahua

• Conversationalist
  • Lft. WMC_Cyberchihuahua
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2010, 03:24:22 AM »
IoP's can add whatever bonuses you like. You're not limited to powers as such. Just look at the swords of the cross. Some of the abilities have no counterpart among the powers in the Book.
Just invent abilities the IoP should impart, and use other stunts or powers as guidelines for pricing

Maybe something like this:

IoP: The Book of last Requests.
It is what it is.: A Heavy Leather-bound Grimoire.
Grants the following abilities
[-1] - Community of the Dead: Use Lore instead of contacts when dealing with the dead.
[-2] - A history of Bargains: When researching bargains past, or communing with the dead about future or past bargains, gain +2 to your Lore. Also get +1 to social skill checks when haggling over conditions for deals with the dead.
[+1] - One time discount
-----------------------
total cost -2

To add to this, you could grant the IoP the Refinement ability, and your Ectomancer would gain the benefits of say +1 control and +1 power, (Ectomancy).

If you really want to have the book be of no inherent power, I think sponsored spell casting would be the way to go. Also remember that just having the aspect Keeper of the Book of Last Requests, that can be compelled and tagged for its +2 ALOT, for spells, contacts, lore, social interaction with spirits, etc.
Moo!

DV Cyberchihuahua V1.2 YR5 FR4 BK++ RP++ JB- TH+ WG++ CL SW+ BC- MC---- SH [Murphy++]   currently...

No Changes, know peace! Know Changes, no peace!

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2010, 08:05:00 AM »
I would treat such a tome like tsunami did - as an Item of Power or as a source to Sponsored Magic.

I plan to bring such a tome into my game soon, and it would have 2 effects. The player could use it as an "explanation" to buy Sponsored Magic regarding the entity described in the book with refresh or to use it as a source for Temporary Sponsored Magic as the tome contains a lot of rituals for that entity (using the rules for temporary access to sponsored magic and the dark powers are always willing to help from YS).

Offline hank the ancient

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2010, 10:02:42 PM »
Sponsored magic by the grim reaper? ??? the character convinces the spirit to go quietly now on the promise of completing their unfinished business and death backs the character in return for the convenience of not having to deal with some soul dragging its incorporeal feet. Dude's got a schedule to keep after all.