Author Topic: Potter's a Lawbreaker! Get the Wardens!  (Read 6865 times)

Offline zerogain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Seattle
Potter's a Lawbreaker! Get the Wardens!
« on: November 30, 2010, 07:14:24 AM »
OK, so I saw HP7 last night.  Overall I enjoyed the show, though I haven't read the books.

I couldn't help myself though, last night, watching all this rampant Lawbreaking going on.  I just had to wonder where the darned wardens were at!?  :p

No spoilers here, but over the franchise I've counted violations of darn near every law the White Council has!  Enforced shape changes, mind alteration, peering about in another mind, swimming against the currents of time... Okay, let them off the hook on the outsiders and the killing bit (mostly), but still! /sigh.  So much for saving us from dark lords and what not, I mean the savior-kid's as black as his nemesis!

Now if I've ticked anyone off, I'm sorry, this is all tongue FIRMLY planted in cheek with like a packet full of salt grains!  See?  Still got one of them from the theater here.

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
Re: Potter's a Lawbreaker! Get the Wardens!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2010, 08:11:06 AM »
Get out of my head! That was almost exactly what I was thinking! ...

... Probably makes for a good drinking game: "Every time Ron, Hermine and Harry break a law of magic drink a shot!"
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Dumbledresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2010, 12:36:10 PM »
Aww, come on...they shifted their own shapes, no lawbreaker here.

If I remember correctly they only broke 2 - 3 laws.
Timetravel and Mind-Alteration, so no killing with magic, no necromancy, no knowledge seeking beyond the outer gates, no invading the mind of others.
"Mad? He's a genius! Best wizard in the world! But he is a bit mad, yes."

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2010, 01:04:21 PM »
And this makes a difference how?!  ;D

OF WITH THEIR HEADS I SAY!!
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Dumbledresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2010, 01:11:19 PM »
And this makes a difference how?!  ;D

OF WITH THEIR HEADS I SAY!!

No problem with that, but breaking laws is something cool, Harry (the one and only) will do it all the time in the coming books.. and you will grant this level of coolness to those teen wizards? (Yeah, I know, look who is speaking...)

If your vampires will start glittering in the sun we'll have a serious problem, sir!

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2010, 01:15:52 PM »
If your vampires will start glittering in the sun we'll have a serious problem, sir!

You shouldn't give me such great ideas all the time ... I'm your GM you know ;).

I can see it clearly now: Vampires with glittering suntan lotion potion, provided for them by some evil genius dark wizard lord who ... but ... we are derailing the thread  ;D

Offline Dumbledresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2010, 01:30:47 PM »
You shouldn't give me such great ideas all the time ... I'm your GM you know ;).

I can see it clearly now: Vampires with glittering suntan lotion potion, provided for them by some evil genius dark wizard lord who ... but ... we are derailing the thread  ;D

I was your GM for nearly 3 years, that's more than enough time for my insanity to stain your innocent mind, now i only provide little impulses to trigger this insanity...however sometimes i have to ask myself if i haven't created a monster :P

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2010, 06:27:48 PM »
Throughout the series, I've noticed Harry break the following laws:

Law One:
(click to show/hide)
Law Two:
(click to show/hide)
Law Three:
(click to show/hide)
Law Four:
(click to show/hide)
Law Five:
(click to show/hide)
Law Six:
(click to show/hide)
Law Seven:
(click to show/hide)

So in summary, that would be laws 3-6, and possibly law 2.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 06:29:52 PM by Blackblade »

Offline zerogain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2010, 07:24:59 PM »
That's a cool list, Blackblade, thanks :)

Thought I began this entirely in jest, I think you could take from this that if you're going to use this system to run that world then the Lawbreaker power definitely gets modified.  (Shallow attempt to make the thread "RP"-worthy)

Other things to consider is that magic is more of a fix and patch in Potterverse than Dresdenverse.  There doesn't seem (from a movie perspective - I know, heretic, unclean, hiss boo) to be quite the same quasi-scientific approach.  Magic seems to operate on intent rather than knowledge or fact, so that if your intentions are clear it works the way you want rather than you having to meticulously coordinate it.

Offline Vryce

• Conversationalist
  • You suck. You suck diseased moose wang, Marcone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2010, 07:28:36 PM »
Kill them all, stupid Books.  Potter of course not Dresden.
Prey is Prey.  The fact it is human, in this case, does not make it any more difficult.  Intellect, Like instinct can be anticipated, manipulated…

Offline zerogain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2010, 07:39:15 PM »
Thanks Vryce for the helpful commentary.

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 07:42:50 PM »
Aww, come on...they shifted their own shapes, no lawbreaker here.

Not so... Moody turned Dracco into a ferret to stop him in the midst of bullying, remember?
If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline Lash Dresden

• Posty McPostington
  • Loneliness or solitude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 07:45:41 PM »
That's a cool list, Blackblade, thanks :)

Thought I began this entirely in jest, I think you could take from this that if you're going to use this system to run that world then the Lawbreaker power definitely gets modified.  (Shallow attempt to make the thread "RP"-worthy)

Other things to consider is that magic is more of a fix and patch in Potterverse than Dresdenverse.  There doesn't seem (from a movie perspective - I know, heretic, unclean, hiss boo) to be quite the same quasi-scientific approach.  Magic seems to operate on intent rather than knowledge or fact, so that if your intentions are clear it works the way you want rather than you having to meticulously coordinate it.
I take it the movies don't make clear how much study and work is necessary in transfiguration?  And how much trouble Ron has learning to apparate?
Everyone on this earth wants to feel like they matter.

Offline Vryce

• Conversationalist
  • You suck. You suck diseased moose wang, Marcone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 07:46:13 PM »
Thanks Vryce for the helpful commentary.

Anytime… I was a fan until I read the last of the Potter books, and if I let myself talk about the books ill go into a 40 min rant on the crap that was allowed to be put out.  So I keep it easy… kill them all.
Prey is Prey.  The fact it is human, in this case, does not make it any more difficult.  Intellect, Like instinct can be anticipated, manipulated…

Offline Lash Dresden

• Posty McPostington
  • Loneliness or solitude?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2010, 07:47:31 PM »
Anytime… I was a fan until I read the last of the Potter books, and if I let myself talk about the books ill go into a 40 min rant on the crap that was allowed to be put out.  So I keep it easy… kill them all.
Book 7 sort of killed interest in Potter for me, also.
Everyone on this earth wants to feel like they matter.