Author Topic: Items adding aspects  (Read 1717 times)

Offline Wilder

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Items adding aspects
« on: November 29, 2010, 10:52:53 AM »
Ok, so I need some input to see if I've done this right.

I have a pair of boots that are enchanted. I want them to provide the Aspect "Nimble as a Mountain Goat" when activated, that I can then tag to provide a +2 Athletic bonus. I have a lore of +4 with a Thaum (Crafting) specialization +1 frequency and a crafting focus +1 Power/+1 Frequency.

Now I'm using the Manuver rules on YS 252-253. which normally uses 3 shifts of power. So could I make my boots apply the sticky aspect (3 shifts) last three exchanges (2 shifts) three times a session (2 frequency)? I'm just checking on the math.

I have a total +5 on my power (+4 Lore, +1 focus) and a 3 on my frequency (1 default, +1 frequency specialization, +1 focus item)

It looks right, but I want to make sure I did it properly.
DV Wilder v1.2 YR6 FR1 BK++ RP+++ TH++ WG+ CL++ BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy ++, Molly-]

Offline Papa Gruff

• Conversationalist
  • in omnia paratus!
    • View Profile
Re: Items adding aspects
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2010, 03:23:01 PM »
Seems valid. Nice idea too.
in omnia peratus! ... wait a minute! ... to give anybody a rucksack? ... DAMN CORRESPONDENCE COURSE!

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2010, 04:41:31 PM »
Yupp, sounds good.

only thing is that you'd probably get more effect out of it if you trade two of the shifts you have for power into uses.

The result would be a 3 shift maneuver 5 times per session.
The Aspect wouldn't last as long, but since you'd probably only activate those Boots right before actually tagging the aspect, you'd get 2 more tags out of it.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 05:06:00 PM by Tsunami »

Offline Wilder

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2010, 05:57:12 PM »
I thought if it was a sticky aspect, I could tag it for its duration. Did I read that wrong?
DV Wilder v1.2 YR6 FR1 BK++ RP+++ TH++ WG+ CL++ BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy ++, Molly-]

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2010, 06:50:19 PM »
I thought if it was a sticky aspect, I could tag it for its duration. Did I read that wrong?

1 free tag, then any more cost Fate.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2010, 10:14:24 PM »
The most reliable way we were able to accomplish something like this effect was to use it as a Block:X versus all attacks, with extra shifts for Duration. The Target (usually the caster) still had to make an initial Athletics roll to avoid the attack, but if unsuccessful, the Block was there to absorb/avoid any damage.

The most legal way to consistently do that would be to it up as a thaumaturgic effect with enough Complexity to temporarily buy one of the Speed powers (which will also cost one Fate Point per use) - that should last an entire scene, and while it does cost the FP, it should maintain its effect throughout its duration.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 10:33:24 PM »
The most reliable way is to do it as a maneuver to apply an aspect on a defensive item. Since the item is defensive, you need not activate it in advance - only when you'd need to tag the aspect for the defense it would activate automatically. That way, no wasted uses.

And yes, you'd only need power 3 for it, leaving you with 5 frequency.
On the other hand, if you could get power 6, it could apply two aspects at once for a +4 bonus - but only 2/day.

Do note however that since items, even defensive items, can be activated with mental stress instead of using up uses/day, the two-aspect one might be more effective in short, brutal fights - but less effective in prolonged fights.

Offline The Codex

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 11:42:43 AM »
Actually I have a question for the more knowledgeble and wiser wizards on the forum  ;D

I was thinking of something that would have a similar effect for my character.

In this case a Ghost Cloak/Phantom Shroud (he is an Ectomancer)

Anyway I wanted (much like boots as nibble as a mountain goat) for the effect to get out the way, which I was going to use a block effect for, but also and again this would apply to the boots and why I thought the question fitting, I wanted to be able to use the same item to have a movement effect for zones and borders, in the case of the boots I would see this as being able to run quick and maneuver on small ledges with mighty leaps (in the case of my cloak it would be walking through solid objects etc), my question is can you dual effect one enchanted item, or can you have an either or like effect on an item to represent something that is slightly more versitil?