Author Topic: Summer Knight  (Read 6542 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Summer Knight
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 05:35:48 AM »
Why not just ask the Queen to pick someone else? Surely she wants a willing Knight.

This might go over better if you offer to find someone else for the job. This idea requires a lot of GM cooperation, but I think that it could work out quite well.

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2010, 04:44:23 PM »
Why not just ask the Queen to pick someone else? Surely she wants a willing Knight.

I think that's a big assumption when you're dealing with the Queen of Summer. Now, she may be open to making a deal, but just letting you off the hook?

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2010, 05:28:00 PM »
I am in this particular game, he already did...attacked a RCV lair without provocation in the early stages of the WC/RCV war....

Wow, yeah. That's going to have huge political repercussions.

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2010, 05:57:49 PM »
Yeah....and when I say attacked it, what I really mean is completely slagged the building and used all the vampires inside as kindling. 

Offline Carabas

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 08:50:12 PM »
he has to use powers from the Summer Court and the SotC

The powers of the Spirit of the Century? :D (Sorry, couldn't resist)

On a more on topic note: Why shouldn't the Summer Knight be able to pick up the Sword of the Cross and go AWOL on the Summer Queens?
After all, they won't be able to get the mantle of Summer Knight back until he dies. Sure, they can compel him, IF he incurrs debt.
But sending fae after him to kill him is a bad idea because of the pointy iron stick he now wields.

Incidentally, in my game, the Winter Queens are in a similar bind. Their Winter Knight went AWOL after picking up a blackened denarius.

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 06:40:30 AM »
I don't know if we have been running the whole Fae knight gig right.  We have been running it where the Queens have the ability to refuse to allow the knight access to their Court's magic if the knight refuses to play along with her rules.  If that is the way that it is supposed to work, or if it is the way that it can work then going AWOL with a very special pointy sword basically turns him into a vanila mortal with a really cool sword and virtually no refresh.

Offline arete

• Conversationalist
  • Kitchen GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 03:07:32 PM »
I would like to know the answer to the above question.  Because going AWOL with a SotC and keeping summer magic sounds interesting.

Edit:  fixed typos
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 08:20:50 PM by arete »
Posting from a cell phone excuss my typoes

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 03:45:41 PM »
There wasn't a sneer in it, lol.  I was just thinking that if you lost access to summer magic while still having it take up the refresh cost of the summer magic, that would be unpleasant.  Now running off with a SotC while keeping summer magic, that would be awesome and a really dangerous vigilante.

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 04:08:00 PM »
Under the Sponsored Magic section of YS, there's plenty of talk about a Sponsor pulling their power from a mortal for betrayal or drawing too deeply and incurring too much debt.

Furthermore, don't forget that the Summer Knight can be compelled by their sponsor without incurring debt. That's just free Compels. Their High Concept could just as easily be compelled.

Offline Carabas

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 09:39:58 PM »
Furthermore, don't forget that the Summer Knight can be compelled by their sponsor without incurring debt. That's just free Compels. Their High Concept could just as easily be compelled.

Yep, but that costs the compelling entity Fate points. And faeries don't have too many of those. Plus, it earns the Summer Knight Fate points.
Also, a AWOL Summer Knight could always change his High Concept (in fact, going AWOL with a SotC would make such a change almost mandatory).

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 10:09:36 PM »
Yep, but that costs the compelling entity Fate points. And faeries don't have too many of those. Plus, it earns the Summer Knight Fate points.

Of note I'm gonna guess that the faerie queens have as many fate points as they please, they are plot device powered beings.

Offline arete

• Conversationalist
  • Kitchen GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 10:34:03 PM »
I like the AWOL idea.  I will have to see if my summer knight is going to try it.
Posting from a cell phone excuss my typoes

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2010, 11:05:05 PM »
I think it's a bit silly to try and track compels with NPCs like that. Not only is it arguable whether a compel to follow Titania's orders is coming from Titania or the GM, you also can't keep track of Titania's fate pool. She has other things going on in her life, and they could give her or cost her fate points. Besides, what if you're one of her aspects? Does she get a fate point every time you do something that causes her trouble?

And I really hope that you tried asking nicely before you decided to go AWOL. A little reasonableness goes a long way.

Offline MyNinjaH8sU

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 05:30:52 AM »
Also, a AWOL Summer Knight could always change his High Concept (in fact, going AWOL with a SotC would make such a change almost mandatory).

I humbly submit that changing your high concept would still have to include the phrase "summer knight" or a derivation thereof, since you would still possess the mantle. If one of my players did that to try and get out of compels, I would smack him upside the head.

Besides, debt and compels are fun! Don't try and get out of them, encourage them!

Offline noclue

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2010, 08:05:16 AM »
I think it's a bit silly to try and track compels with NPCs like that. Not only is it arguable whether a compel to follow Titania's orders is coming from Titania or the GM, you also can't keep track of Titania's fate pool. She has other things going on in her life, and they could give her or cost her fate points. Besides, what if you're one of her aspects? Does she get a fate point every time you do something that causes her trouble?
Compels come from the GM not NPCs.