Author Topic: Summer Knight  (Read 6536 times)

Offline arete

• Conversationalist
  • Kitchen GM
    • View Profile
Summer Knight
« on: November 26, 2010, 10:45:32 PM »
I have a character in my game that was destined to pick up a sword of the cross, but he was "tricked" into becoming the Summer knight.

My question is how can he get out of being the summer knight? 
Posting from a cell phone excuss my typoes

Tbora

Re: Summer Knight
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 11:24:32 PM »
I have a character in my game that was destined to pick up a sword of the cross, but he was "tricked" into becoming the Summer knight.

My question is how can he get out of being the summer knight? 

He can't the only way to getting out of holding a Mantle of the Fae Courts is to die.

Offline arete

• Conversationalist
  • Kitchen GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2010, 11:27:50 PM »
But that means he could get resurrected correct?

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2010, 11:30:33 PM »
It really would depend on the pact that he made with one of the Queens. How was he tricked?

Tbora

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2010, 11:40:47 PM »
But that means he could get resurrected correct?

Actually we have this lovely WOJ quote that implies not even death does if you come back, meaning it sounds like your stuck with being the Summer Knight if you can't make a deal with your GM to do something to it

Quote from: WOJ Sticky Thread
318 “Does Dresden’s current condition mean that the Knights power has flowed back to Mab?”
That’s one of those questions that will be more fun to answer in the book. Smiley
But merely being dead does /not/ necessarily get you out of promises to Mab all by itself. I mean, come on. Like she’s never heard THAT lame excuse before… Smiley

Offline Big daddy rakshasa85

• Conversationalist
  • Protector Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2010, 11:49:42 PM »
Why couldn't the Summer Knight just use a Sword of the Cross? Sounds epic to me.

Conflict of interest, maybe?

Offline arete

• Conversationalist
  • Kitchen GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 12:08:54 AM »
I view being the summer knight and wielding a sword of the cross as a conflict of interest.

He was tricked in his backstory so things are less detailed, but what happened was:  as a mortal he defended a young changeling.  In the process of that fight the summer lady and knight had been killed and the power shifted to him and the changeling.  I am sure we can twist the rest of facts to make a good story.

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2010, 04:27:38 AM »
I would think that maybe intervention on the part of the Heavenly Host might help out, or if you could prove that the contract was somehow not legal in some way.  He could go on strike and Titania would have to force him to do anything that she needed, less than a desirable trait in an employee.  So far we have also never heard that a queen could not take the mantle from a knight.  Mab just wanted Slate to suffer for a VERY long time.  That is my take on why she didn't just strip him of position and power.

Tbora

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2010, 04:32:25 AM »
I would think that maybe intervention on the part of the Heavenly Host might help out, or if you could prove that the contract was somehow not legal in some way.  He could go on strike and Titania would have to force him to do anything that she needed, less than a desirable trait in an employee.  So far we have also never heard that a queen could not take the mantle from a knight.  Mab just wanted Slate to suffer for a VERY long time.  That is my take on why she didn't just strip him of position and power.

Intervention by the Heavenly Host is weak and is a Deus Ex Machina in the best scenario, and a service for the Knights is for life, if they want the Mantle back they simply kill you get it, per the book in Summer Knight.

Offline Wilder

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2010, 04:55:49 AM »
Also, while the Summer Lady being killed and her power going into the changling is a legal, as per the books. Due to the fact that the Mantle of Knight is the conscious choice of a mortal, he had to willingly agree to the bargain. Seeing as the Knight is a mortal and retains his free will, he can't be forced into it. Fae can cause other Fae to do all sorts of stuff, no free will. Fae forcing mortals... thats why they have bargains.
DV Wilder v1.2 YR6 FR1 BK++ RP+++ TH++ WG+ CL++ BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy ++, Molly-]

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2010, 04:56:48 AM »
Also the heavenly host is big on free will. If someone chose to make a pact with the fey (and there's always a choice) it's unlikely that they wouldn't respect that decision, even if he regretted it.

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2010, 05:04:25 AM »
So how would the Queens deal with a Knight that decided to ACT as a knight of the cross, you know running around slaying evil where he found it and refusing to act in a way to betray his conscience even if that meant refusing orders?  If they refuse to allow that they are taking away his free will which is why they need a knight in the first place.  Would they just kill him and choose another one?  That seems like a weak character death to me.

Offline cgodfrey7

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 05:06:37 AM »
I like the idea of him having a sword of the Summer Knight, then somehow (insert major story line here) he is also given the opportunity to wield one of the Swords of the Cross, and he has to use powers from the Summer Court and the SotC in order to overcome some major evil thingy (maybe winter court evilness coupled with a mortal sorcerer raising demons or forcing fae to do his will).  Perhaps the two swords merge in to one for a brief period of time, if there are no conflicts and he adheres to both tenets, and should one tenet be broken, he will not be strong enough to defeat the evil.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 05:14:37 AM »
If he starts to break the accords that might be a situation where the queen might strip him of his power and offer him to the offended party.

Offline Amseriah

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 05:33:25 AM »
I am in this particular game, he already did...attacked a RCV lair without provocation in the early stages of the WC/RCV war....