Author Topic: "It Slices, It Dices..." Dismemberment and the Bar Snicker  (Read 4846 times)

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: "It Slices, It Dices..." Dismemberment and the Bar Snicker
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 09:55:02 PM »
@Cowboy: The folding thing is dead on.  After about 20 folds, the metal becomes too frail to be anything other than a wall decoration.
And as for pricing, that really varies depending, and it's been about 7 years since I really looked at pricing.  And an original Masamune would definitely be a lot more expensive, but from the "School of"... he did teach his forging, and it has been passed on. *Those* blades are a lot cheaper than an original.

@belial666: Indeed, that is a good reason. :)  Though, could you not do the same to one side of a katana? 
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 10:14:17 PM »
Well, you are only "silvering" half of the Katana's single edge. That would mean that only about half the stress dealt should overcome the catch (i.e. half the wound on a fae would have iron-induced burns).

Also, to make a really, really cool sword, find a meteor with very high iron/nickel or iron/iridium content (commonly known as meteoric iron). Make a fairly large silver parabolic mirror to make a solar furnance and forge your meteoric iron into a sword using only daylight. Quench the sword during forging into Holy Water, and coat one of its two edges with silver taken from your grandmother's kitchen set you inherited. Give the sword a cool name and inscribe many religious symbols on it. Regularly treat the sword against rust/wear with Holy Oil.

So... silver and iron edges (fae/shifter bane), of meteoric origin (giant/dragon bane), forged in sunlight and holy water (undead bane) and made into a potent symbol of faith, wielded by a (presumably) true believer  (outsider/demon bane).

Did I forget any major supernatural group?

Offline Kaldra

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2010, 10:20:25 PM »
belial, why dont you get a degree in applied mathematics and prove string theory; you certainly inovative enough to... and that said bravo i think i have an item for some pc's to quest for over winter break.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 10:58:32 AM by Kaldra »

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2010, 11:04:59 PM »
It needs some Jade. :)  Hand grip/pomel, maybe?

And by one side, I was being kinda sarcasitic.  And you hit the logical conclusion of the idea that I figured you would. :)
Though, you could just as easily have a large selection of swords. :)
[qoute='piotr1600']Sure true love will conquer all... You sponsored an instant vision of a tentacled Cthuluoid monstrosity following Elaine around, meeping piteously and making puppy dog eyes at her while she sighs loudly and gently kisses those tentacles...[/qoute]

Offline Marganma

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2010, 11:12:26 PM »
...or you could use two swords / long knives / combination thereof.  ;)
>>>Building site. Soon there we be a signature. We apologize for any inconvenience due to noises and lights.<<<

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2010, 11:14:02 PM »
It occurs to me that using the right edge of the blade in the chaos of combat would be difficult. But I'm not sure how to model this mechanically. Anybody have any ideas?

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2010, 11:40:02 PM »
As somebody that's been part of RenFaire's... In the heat of battle, with a two sided sword... it depends on your style. Which means for most people, will be one side gets used primarily. Period. So you'd want some sort easy to see, obvious marker. Like tape. 

Mechanically, you'd just have to rotate the blade. I'd say it's would be a supplemental action. To "flip" it and double check.

Offline Selrach

• Conversationalist
  • You'll never guess
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2010, 06:19:28 AM »
Why not just have the whole thing be silvered or a silver alloy? I mean fae are affected by steel (which is an iron alloy) so instead of having a sword with an instruction manual just have it made by a master metallurgist who found an ingenious way to combine what you want into the sword with no extra hassle.
Apparently I would much rather post than sleep.

Tbora

« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2010, 06:27:05 AM »
Why not just have the whole thing be silvered or a silver alloy? I mean fae are affected by steel (which is an iron alloy) so instead of having a sword with an instruction manual just have it made by a master metallurgist who found an ingenious way to combine what you want into the sword with no extra hassle.

metaphysical difference.

Iron is very different then silver, one being used for weaponry for since like ever (which is what probably makes it potent against the fae) and the other a form of currency giving a feeling of wealth, so when you use it, it attaches itself to the concept of sacrifice when you use it to kill something like a shifter.

Offline Drashna

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 05, 2010, 08:48:39 AM »
Well, in some legends, Fae are vulnerable to silver, not iron. Or at least the unseelie are. 

But why not just have an IoP that can satisfy the catch if need be? :)