Author Topic: WoJ transcription help needed + mention new WoJ's here  (Read 138923 times)

Offline Starshine

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: WoJ transcription help needed + mention new WoJ's here
« Reply #180 on: February 22, 2012, 05:19:35 AM »
I will start today on the Beavercreek Signing - so please no one else take that.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 09:33:19 AM by Starshine »

Offline Starshine

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 22, 2012, 09:34:42 AM »
Here is BeaverCreek Part 1 [and the first question of part 2, which continues from part 1.] I left out things like audience laughter/applause etc.  I'll work on more tomorrow:

BEAVERCREEK SIGNING 7-29-2011  PART 1

[Questions will be all in caps - Jim's answers will have normal punctuation.]

[Applause]

Okay - how are you guys doing?  [Laughter and applause]

Sorry about that - don't kick me out - okay Sorry I get a […] ful standing out there as if Im a teacher or something and I never really liked those people - some of them - some of them were all right.  One of my teachers in 4th grade actually had to bring a bookcase from  home and put it in her office, because every time she caught me reading a book when i was supposed to be paying attention to her lesson she would take the book away and eventually she had no desk so she had to bring in a bookcase and put it in her office, so she had the entire […] series and every science fiction book ever.  It's like being in class and she'd be giving a lesson and well I already read the lesson and I got it so, why shouldn't I read a book.  I always felt she was being -  In retrospect, I think she was very conflicted about that.  Here's this student not paying attention, but Im taking his BOOK away - that seems counterproductive to the education part.  [Laughter]

Is it okay if we do like question and answer?  Is that fine by you guys?  Okay.  But for it to work someone has to ask a question.  Okay - here we go.

WHY DID YOU CUT YOUR HAIR?

Well I thought it was thematic - with the release of Changes when it came out - and I wanted to really shock my wife.  So I left with the hair down to the middle of my back and the full I've-been-writing-for-three-months beard - that's where my inspiration comes from.  My muse lives in the beard.  I went out with all that and got the hair down to the crew cut and had the beard taken off and came back in  and waited for her to freak - and we had one of those conversations that goes on for 20 minutes where she doesn't  look up from what she's doing to notice and finally I got tired of waiting for the bomb to drop and just sort of sat down and started watching TV and maybe 15 minutes later she's like "Oh my God!  If we hadn't been talking I would have shot you. "  A charming woman is my lady.

ARE WE EVER GOING TO FIND OUT ABOUT KINCAID'S PAST?

Maybe a bit more - maybe not.  I'm not sure how we'll do that yet.  I kind of have this vague project in mind of doing the Dresden Files universe version of the French and Indian War - which would be so much fun because it's all the old folks on the Senior Council that  are so angry at Harry for being a punky young wizard - that was when THEY were the punky young wizards.  So that would be a really good time I think, but of course the danger in that is, Im going to have to learn about the French and Indian War.  That's one of those projects I could get into and then forget - Oh, wait a minute!  Im supposed to be writing a book, aren't I? 

WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF GETTING ME TO COME OUT AS A GUEST AND SITTING IN ON THE ROLE-PLAYING GAMES AT THE GAMING CONVENTIONS THAT THEY RUN?

Well let's see.  Getting me out there - Im not traveling next year  -  at all  - in honor of the Mayan apocalypse.  I figure maybe Im a little jaded because this is the seventh or eighth apocalypse Ive lived through.  But if we're all here in 2013 then I'll resume my schedule and I try to go to at least one small con, one medium-sized con and one big con every year, because the small and medium-sized cons - even though I don't get to see as many people - they have their own advantages too and I can actually hang out with folks and talk and stuff like that.  And nobody says - "Jim - you've made this room into a fire hazard!" -  like that guy in Atlanta.

I WAS ATTRACTED TO HARRY DRESDEN BY THE S-F SERIES.  ARE YOU HAPPY WITH THE WAY IT TURNED OUT OR DO YOU REGRET THAT NOW BECAUSE OF THE CHANGES THEY MADE?

This fella was attracted to the books through the series on S-F .  Was I happy with it or was I upset with the changes they made?  I like to think of my cups as half full.  There's 3 kinds of people in the world - optimists who think the cup is half full, pessimists who think the cup is half empty and engineers who think the cup is overdesigned by 100 percent.  But, I think, all in all, it could have been a lot worse.  And I say that because I saw the first draft, the first treatment  -  which none of you saw if you laughed because there's not enough brain bleach in all the world.  But, all in all, it was okay.  There were some things that I was really annoyed with at the time - what they did with Bob annoyed the hell out of me - but Terence Mann's is a good actor and he's a really nice guy in person and he had a gift - he [had me] sold on it by about episode 10.  If the darned thing hadn't stopped when it did, i think it could have gone on to bigger and better things.  They were getting their stuff together production-wise and so on as they went along.  But on the other hand it might be a good thing that it did stop because - you know - before they did anything completely squirrelly with it, like - you know maybe it's a good thing it got cancelled - I don't know.

But all in all it was a positive experience.  I got to go up and do my Stan Lee appearance in the show - it was fun.   Im in the background in Butters' morgue somewhere, being one of his assistants .  I don't actually get to talk or anything - you have to join the guild to do that.  Man,  Im in too many guilds already.

YOU USE A LOT OF 'M' NAMES IN THE SERIES - MAB, MAX, MAEVE, MOLLY, MICHAEL ETC - IS THERE A REASON FOR THAT?

Uh, maybe, yeah [seems non-plussed]   There's no conscious reason for it although  my beta readers - whenever I show up with a new character named with an 'M' , they're like - "Another 'M' name!  Another "M" name!  It's like - Oh come on!  Get used to it.  Mmmmm - can't  say mmmmmmm without "M" . 

But no - no conscious reason.  Some of them were pre-named for me though.  Mab was pre-named for me.  I didn't name her.  The archangel Michael was pre-named for me. Same thing.  I feel the case has been overstated - the case in favor of too many 'M' names.

WHEN CORPSETAKER TOOK A BODY - LIKE LUCCHIO'S  BODY - DID THEY RESET THE AGES?

No, the bodies are just suits.  And Lucchio's original suit was more worn out than the new one that she got, and that's the only difference.

DID YOU ALWAYS INTEND TO INTRODUCE MOUSE OR DID MISTER JUST NOT DEVELOP INTO THE COMPANION THAT YOU WANTED?

Mister is a cat and cats do not develop into anything.  And I feel that to do anything like that would have been to betray the very nature of cats and they might declare war on me if that happened.  I swear to God Im eventually going to write this theme-park  universe that I run my game in, where the cats have opposable thumbs - and yeah you don't want to mess with a cat with opposable thumbs.  They have opposable thumbs and matches so - better treat them with respect or there's gonna be some trouble.

But yeah - Mouse was created as Dresden's enemies were getting tougher and tougher - and it seemed like it would be a simpler and simpler solution to kill him in his sleep.  So I wanted to be sure that he had a real solid protection […..] for him so that was one of the reasons Mouse kind of got sent his way in terms of the author sending him his way.  But I really like the way he [grew up?] and Mister - Mister's gonna be mighty no matter what - I mean, he's a cat.  He's not a special cat or anything.  He's a CAT.  How much better could he be?  At least that's his perspective.

ARE WE GOING TO HEAR MORE ABOUT MR FERROFAX?

Yeah - later in the series.  Im fundamentally lazy as a writer and I don't like to introduce things that Im not going to use and I like to re-use things whenever I can.  And I think it makes a better story that way too.  But mostly, Im lazy.

WHEN YOU STARTED WRITING I REMEMBER YOU SAYING ONCE THAT YOU WERE TAKING A WRITING CLASS AND YOUR TEACHER SAID - 'WELL JUST TRY THIS FORMULA' - AND YOU FOUGHT AGAINST IT OR SOMETHING AND THEN WHEN YOU FINALLY DID USE THE FORMULA OR WHATEVER SHE WAS TEACHING YOU TO - IT WAS SUCCESSFUL - IS THAT RIGHT?

A course in the University of Oklahoma's College of Journalism called Writing a Genre Fiction Novel, and what the course was, was that over the semester you wrote a novel, and it was a pass/fail course kind of thing.  If you did not finish your novel that semester, you did not pass.  And Debbie had been working with me - Debbie [Chester?] was a teacher - and she had been working with me for several years trying to convince me of some very common sense things about story telling and I was not listening to her because I had a degree in English literature, whereas she had merely published 40 novels. 

So one semester I decided to prove her wrong.  I decided I was going to prove her wrong by being maliciously co-operative with her.   I was going to be her good little writing zombie.  I was going to fill out all her little worksheets and build all these little structures and do these character sheets and outlines - and then she would see what awful, cookie-cutter pablum crap came out of that kind of process.  And I wrote Storm Front.  You know, which showed her - clearly.  Im one of these guys who's been fortunate enough for his stupid mistakes to have worked out well.  Stupidity has been my ally so far so I try not to feel too smart because it might jeopardize my success.

Offline Starshine

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 23, 2012, 01:11:44 AM »
BEAVERCREEK PART 2

[Sorry - there were some things on here that I could not get.  Especially the author's last names and the last question.  Maybe somebody else can listen and suggest something?]

BEAVERCREEK SIGNING - PART 2

[Question was at end of part 1]

A course in the University of Oklahoma's College of Journalism called Writing a Genre Fiction Novel, and what the course was, was that over the semester you wrote a novel, and it was a pass/fail course kind of thing.  If you did not finish your novel that semester, you did not pass.  And Debbie had been working with me - Debbie [Chester?] was a teacher - and she had been working with me for several years trying to convince me of some very common sense things about story telling and I was not listening to her because I had a degree in English literature, whereas she had merely published 40 novels. 

So one semester I decided to prove her wrong.  I decided I was going to prove her wrong by being maliciously co-operative with her.   I was going to be her good little writing zombie.  I was going to fill out all her little worksheets and build all these little structures and do these character sheets and outlines - and then she would see what awful, cookie-cutter pablum crap came out of that kind of process.  And I wrote Storm Front.  You know, which showed her - clearly.  Im one of these guys who's been fortunate enough for his stupid mistakes to have worked out well.  Stupidity has been my ally so far so I try not to feel too smart because it might jeopardize my success.

WHO DO YOU DRAW INSPIRATION FROM?  WHAT NEW AUTHORS OUT THERE ARE YOU READING?

One of the most recent guys that came out is Harry [Powley?]  His first book is called Child of Fire and it's a really excellent book.  His world that he set up is just so dark and nasty - I love it.  There's a new author that isn't published yet that I got to read a manuscript for because they were hoping for a quote and I gave them them the best quote I've ever given anybody - his name is Benedict [jacker?] and the book is called Faded - and it's just marvelous.  I love it.  And not only because he mentions Harry Dresden indirectly on like the first page.  Or not purely because of that but it's also extremely well done and a very clever book.

Lets see - [Scal ---]  I read [Scal--] .  I read [….] and [Hagen?] for being able to write this beautiful poetic passages and then switch instantly to the gritty, pulpy action prose - I hate that guy!  He's really nice though.

Recently I've been reading [Brandon Chanderson?]  I finished Way of Kings this morning on the plane.  I thought it was a wonderful book.  I hope I can do happy fantasy that good at some point.

Robert E Parker of course - the late Robert Parker.  The Spencer series I loved.  Pretty much everything he's written Ive read it and loved it.  There's always people that I forget to mention that are on there whenever anybody asks this question.  Guys like E E Knight.  I loved his Vampire Earth series.   Cause that was a story that should not work.   Space vampires.  It should not work!  But yet he makes it work - and very well.  It's a great job with what he does. 

Naomi Novik [?]  I love the [….] books.  I was a Harry Potter fan.  I liked the books.  And there's others - Im just not remembering them at the moment.

IN ONE OF YOUR EARLIER BOOKS YOU MAKE A VERY [BRIEF] REFERENCE TO  THE JADE COURT.    WILL THEY EVER COME INTO PLAY?

Oh maybe.  Will the Jade Court ever come into play?  Maybe.  Probably not until the BAT finale, being as they are isolationists and  by definition they don't get involved in stuff.  So, if anything like that was to happen, Dresden would have to go get involved with them and it's hard enough to research Chicago, but to research CHINA??  I don't know - that seems to go against my basic laziness principle. 

ARE WE GOING TO GET MORE ON MOUSE - HIS ORIGINS AND WHERE HE CAME FROM?

Yeah, we are.  As Dresden works it out eventually, but it's going to take a while.  Also note that Dresden did not necessarily rescue ALL the puppies that got stolen.

THERE WERE SEVERAL MENTIONS OF THE VARIOUS SPECIES IN CODEX ALERA THAT WERE APPARENTLY WIPED OUT.  ARE YOU GOING TO GO INTO ANY NOVELS THAT EXPAND ON THAT?

I don't have any plans for it right now.  Basically - the basic story is -  the Romans showed up and there were all these other races that were on this world - Aleris - I always thought of it as the end  of the dump shoot for the Bermuda Triangle of the galaxy.  And the Romans basically had a very rigid kill or be killed mindset - and they was really good at killing.  And even more so after they got Furies [?] so there were a lot of people that got crushed by the Romans and that was where the story came from, but if I do go back to Alera, it will probably be a couple of generations down the line where you can see the effects that have happened because of what everybody's been doing in the original series.  It'll be a much [clean? lean?]  healthier place when we go back, so - but I don't know when we'll do that.

WHY DID [ARTHUR KILL THE ………..] CHARACTER?

[A lot of laughter and applause - I couldn't hear the question well and Jim didn't repeat it]

Because we do not survive upon our royalty payments, but upon your pain.

[more laughter and even more applause]

We feast upon you. 

I don't know if anybody went to [Woodstock?] at Comicon this year.  There was a whole skit about exactly that.  [ Amy? ………] was performed by Wil Wheaton and Alicia [Days?]  Buy the video - Im sure it's out on video.

I WAS WONDERING - IS IT MORE LIKELY THAT WE SEE ANOTHER DRESDEN FILES BOOK OR ONE OF THE MYRIAD OTHER PROJECTS THAT YOU'RE THINKING OF NEXT?

I don't know.  The only one I've got contracted right now is the next Dresden book.   I'm working on another fantasy right now.  I don't know if it'll get done in time for me cause Im going to have to stop by Christmas and start working on the next Dresden.  But as far as I know it'll be Dresden - that is subject to change without notice - and if I do get a contract, then I'll announce it on my site so folks can know that it's on the way.

I INTRODUCED THE NOVELS TO MY FIANCEE WHO IMMEDIATELY CONSUMED ALL OF THEM [IN THE SPACE OF A WEEK?] AND AT THE END OF IT SHE LOOKED AT ME AND SHE SAID "I REALLY LOVE THESE NOVELS BUT - WHY IN THE COVER ART DOES HE WEAR A HAT?

What's with Dresden's hat in the cover art is the question - the answer to that is the art department thought it was a good idea.  They thought it was the perfect visual shorthand for wizard detective - he's got a wizard staff and he's got a detective fedora - wizard/detective right there.  So that's what they wanted and that's what they got.  And they said - Jim, you approve of this -right?!?!  [Laughter]

Yeah - it's gorgeous - it's the best cover ever .
[book company]  Good!  Im glad you said that.

IS EBENEZAR GOING TO FIND OUT THAT HE HAS OTHER GRANDCHILDREN SOMEWHERE?

[singsong voice] - Im not gonna tell you.

I can't.  I mean - I cant - that's future stuff.  We'll get to lots and lots of things.  I had to chant - Im not gonna tell you - so many times last night  in Atlanta - it was kind of fun actually.

ARE THRE ANY PLANS FOR A DRESDEN VIDEO GAME IN THE FUTURE?

There are always plans, but in the media business you can never be sure about anything until the check clears, so there are talks going on right now - we'll have to see what happens.   But I'd like it  - I think they should do an [MMOR] PG - that would be awesome.  Except I think I could probably get membership for free .

[Question from audience - cannot hear it.  Answer is another Im not gonna tell you and a lot of laughter.  Tape ends.]

Offline Starshine

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 23, 2012, 03:06:45 AM »
BEAVERCREEK - PART 3

BEAVERCREEK PART 3

[…….] although it would be easier to work aircraft carriers in if I did it like that.  I mean, you know, a [little Hitler??]

IS MAGIC EVER REALLY GOING TO COME OUT OF THE CLOSET IN THE DRESDEN-VERSE?

Right here, because, as I said.

[My note - this doesn't make sense to me - but I think something is missing in the transition from Pt 2 to Pt 3.]

I WAS JUST WONDERING - DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA OF HOW MANY BOOKS OR MOVIES ARE GOING TO COME OUT [of your work????]

Total books in the DF series 20-ish of the case books - it could be a little bit more, it could be a little bit less, depending on whether or not my kid goes to grad school.  And when I get done with the case books there'll be a BAT as kind of a gap-fill thing.

THE MORE THE BETTER.

So YOU say, but when things go on past their expiration date you wind up with things like the last season of X-Files - you've got that zombie show, just sort of staggering on -  it should have died, you know, a while ago [monster voice] AWESOMELY! 

OVER THE COURSE OF A SERIES DURING THE CREATIVE PROCESS WHAT DO YOU FIND MOST OFTEN GETS LEFT ON THE CUTTING ROOM FLOOR?

I've got a pathological aversion to actually chopping stuff out once I"ve gotten it written - see above regarding lazy.   The things that do get dropped out are mostly small bits and pieces - pieces of conversation that really weren't relevant to what was going on - descriptions that just kind of rambled on and on too long when I could have done it in like a word and a half.  That kind of thing. 

Oh - actually - there are actually entire chapters that got scrapped once in a while where I realized - Oh wait a minute!  I should have taken a left at Albuquerque and instead I got this chapter which was taking the book in completely the wrong direction so I delete it, and start over.  I don't think I actually saved very many of those though.  Most of them - I look at them and go  ooops! -   don't let anybody know you did it - they'll think you're cooler that way.

[WHAT IS YOUR SECRET AS A WRITER TO BEING SO GOOD, SO CLEAR?]

My secret to being so clear - I worked really, really hard to learn how to do it.  I mean I wrote for like 9 years before I ever sold anything for any money at all.  And I've got half a dozen novels that are so awful I would not have made Osama bin Laden read them.

Mostly the important thing as a writer that you have to learn is don't get too overcomplicated with your language if you're trying to make things clear.  My belief as a writer is that if I'm doing my job right, the language should be transparent so that as the story's going, you don't even know you're reading words - you're kind of creating  your own virtual reality as you go along.  I like the transparent writer.  I don't like to do the wordplay thing - or at least not very often.  Plus I'm not very good at it.  [?Rathless?   OOH Rathless?] 

ON YOUR BIO YOU MENTION YOUR VICIOUS ATTACK DOG.  IS THAT SARCASM OR IS HE REALLY A VICIOUS ATTACK DOG?

He is VICIOUS.  He is the most vicious 20 pounds of Bichon Frisee - you have ever seen.  20 pounds of killer white fluff.  I never said he was dangerous - I said he was vicious.  And indeed he is.  OTOH, he's also saved my kid from a bear - so he's worth it.

I can tell the bear story if you want.  All right - at one point we were living out in kind of the middle of nowhere Pennsylvania.  We were about half an hour out of state college -maybe a little bit further - kind of in Amish country.  We were living in this long valley - it was like 22 miles long and there were like 3 houses and then Amish farms was the whole thing.  Mountains and ridges all around - just gorgeous, but there was actual wildlife about. 

Anyway,we've got this little dog and we make him sleep with the boy downstairs in his room which is right off the kitchen.  And we put the baby gate up, the boy goes to bed and we put the dog in bed with the boy and they go to sleep and it's adorable. 

One night , at about 3 in the morning, the dog somehow manages to knock the baby gate over, climb up the stairs - which he's never done before - he's a puppy - and then he came to the side of the bed and he's throwing a fit at me from the side of the bed [doggie fit noises] .  And Im like - what is wrong with you?  You've come to […..] aren't you - that's what it is.   And so I take the dog back downstairs, all sleepy and grumpy to put him back in bed with the boy and I  find that the boy has kicked all the covers off and he's just lying in bed shuddering like that - he's running like a 101 fever.  And Im like - oh my gosh - take care of the kid and give him Tylenol and get him back to bed and he goes back to sleep again .  And Im like - Good Dog!  That was awesome!  I picked him up, put him on the bed, he curled up next to the boy and went right to sleep.  But wow! - okay!  That's pretty cool!.

A couple of weeks later, the same thing happens.  I'm like - What is it Lassie?  Did Timmy fall down the well again?  And so I go downstairs, and the boy's fine.  And I kind of  stop and look at the dog and say - It's 2:30 in the morning - what do you think you're doing?  [More frantic dog noises]  We had kind of this long, narrow house.  And he goes about 10 feet down the kitchen and then stops and looks at me.  And Im like - What? [More frantic dog noises]  I walk over to him, he quiets down.  Okay, that's a little bizarre.  So he goes another 10 feet and does the same thing.  And another 10 feet, and another 10 feet, and we go all the way - up and down - the first floor of the house.  We do this twice.  And then after that he curls up in a ball and goes to sleep.

I'm like - Okay.  You are officially crazy.  I pick him up.  I put him in bed.  I go back to bed.  The next morning I"m getting the kid up.  I'm getting him off to school and - what you have to realize is - the main door to the house that we use was the kitchen door - and then immediately across from the kitchen door was the door to his room - okay, now this was a glass door.  I open the door, cause I was gonna walk the kid out to the bus stop - and I stop and look and on the snow on the steps leading up to the door are bear prints about this big - pawprints.  I kind of stopped and I look at those and I look down and I go outside and the pawprints go all the way around the house - twice.   And I realized at that point that the dog had known the bear was out there .  He came to get me, and then he made me pace the bear up and down the […..] - so that the bear would know I knew he was there.  After that man - I looked at that dog and said - You are IN.  All right. [  Laughter and applause]

Now whenever anybody  gives me a hard time about having a little dog - "You need to have a big dog - like my german shepherd"  - I go like - Did your german shepherd ever save your kid from a bear?  Noooo.  Well, that little dog DID! 

ARE YOU STILL THINKING ABOUT DOING A MISTER/MOUSE/BOB SHORT STORY?

It has been suggested to me it might be fun - it'd be kind of like the DF version of [Funiculai??]  which influenced me when I was small and impressionable and I think it probably got taken away by my teacher while I was [there too?].

HAVE YOU READ GEORGE MARTIN'S GAME OF THRONES AND THE SEQUELS AND WHAT DID YOU THINK OF THEM?

I read the first one probably - many,many moons ago - right after it first came out .  I read it and went "ummmmm"  - for fantasy, this is really low on fantasy - you know, you kind of go through the whole thing and you've got one person that doesn't get burned by fire and a zombie.  And it's like - it's a little lower than the fantasy intake that I want.  I could probably go back and read them again.  I might think they're much better now.  The Black Company books were like that for me.  First time I read them Im like - whatever - and I went back 10 or 15 years later after I'd studied a lot of history and so on - and Im like - Oh my gosh!  These are brilliant!  And it's just a matter of perspective I think and where you are.  And maybe I'll think Martin's brilliant the next time I go back.  I like the series though.  Im all [..….] about the series.

SPEAKING ABOUT THE SERIES, AND I KNOW YOU'VE ALREADY TRIED IT WITH S-F,   BUT WITH ALL THESE OTHER BOOK SERIES GOING TO HBO AND [ALLTHAT],  HAVE YOU EVER CONSIDERED DOING THAT, OR MAYBE A MOVIE?

Have I ever considered doing the DF for HBO or for a movie?   I shall think about it.  [Laughter].  I'm willing to forgive Hollywood for the first iteration of the DF and the Sorceror's  Apprentice.  I'm just saying if you take the covers of the comic book and the [….] from Sorcerer's Apprentice and put them next to each other - that's all Im saying. 

I think if it had been anyone other than Nick Cage…..  [part 3 ends]

Offline Starshine

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 23, 2012, 10:18:12 AM »
BEAVERCREEK PART 4

[….] books at me  when I was visiting the set - it was awesome!

AS AN AUTHOR IN YOUR BOOKS YOU'VE ALWAYS BEEN ABLE TO GRAB MY ATTENTION REALLY QUICKLY FROM PAGE ONE AND TO KEEP IT THERE ALL THE WAY THROUGH THE BOOK.   IS THAT SOMETHING YOU'VE HAD TO WORK AT OR IS THAT SOMETHING THAT COMES NATURAL TO YOU?

I would like to tell you that - yes - I have worked out millions of secret ways - and I have formulas and excel spread sheets and so on to figure it out.  But honestly, I think what it is, is it springs out of the way that I write because I write a chapter at a time and then I send the chapter off to my Beta readers and they let me know what's going on in the chapter.  And my personal goal is to make the beta readers scream by the end of the chapter that there's not another chapter for them to read.  And as a result I think that means that I'm setting the hook at the end of every chapter - cause nobody likes to stop just in the middle of a chapter.  They'll say - one more chapter.  But if I make a good chapter interesting enough -  [….]  then they'll keep reading.  And -  it was an accident.  I've had a lot of those and a little bit of good luck.

ARE WE GOING TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT BOB AND HIS RELATIONSHIP WITH MAB AND COMPANY ANYTIME?

Yeah - we're gonna do a whole bunch of fairy stuff next book.  The next book's gonna be all about Winter court and Dresden showing up there.

ARE WE EVER GOING TO MEET LEFAY'S MOTHER?

As in Ebenezar's wife?  Well, not unless we go back and do the French and Indian War thing probably.

ARE WE GOING TO FIND OUT WHO SHE IS?

She was a mortal.  She died somewhere around 1810 I think.  I've got it all written down somewhere.  Plus I can check Wikipedia.  I often look at Wikipedia before I go somewhere else.  Because you guys keep track of it way better than I do.  I mean, by the time Im done with a book, I've seen 7 or 8 slightly different versions, and then maybe 2 or 3 versions that I chose not to write, so by the time you get to Book 13 of the series, that's 13 times 12 - that many different versions of the book so it starts getting hard to do the book-keeping in my head with all of that - so I go to Wikipedia - which is great.

THERE'S A LOT OF OCCULT REFERENCES IN YOUR BOOKS.  IS THAT SOMETHING THAT YOU ARE INTERESTED IN AND STUDY ON YOUR OWN OR IS THAT SOMETHING YOU JUST LOOKED UP FOR THE BOOKS?

By and large something I looked up.  I still think it's terribly interesting and it's the kind of subject I would read up on anyway but for the most part, when I was building a magic system, I went out and bought several books from the metaphysical section of the local bookstore to figure out - kind of read about what people who actually believe - the people who actually incorporate it into their system of faith and see what they think about it and how things work, and then I tried to rip off all the best stuff from them for the DF and then throw in a few things that were dramatically cool.

AS FAR AS KILLING OFF HARRY DRESDEN, WAS THAT PRE-PLANNED FROM CLOSE TO THE BEGINNING OR WAS THAT A NATURAL PROGRESSION?

Sorry  -  Killing off Harry Dresden - was that pre-planned from the very beginning or was that just starting off in another direction?  It's key - a ghost solving his own murder in Book 13 - it's not by accident.  Yeah that was planned from the very beginning.  I was very pleased that I finally got to write that part.

ANY TIME SOON - LIKE IN THE NEXT 2 BOOKS - ARE WE GIONG TO GET ANY MOVEMENT ON HARRY'S CONNECTION TO THE OUTSIDERS?

Yeah, probably pretty soon - I can't keep putting it off much longer.  Although it is fun to tease you.  I eventually have to deliver or else it's no good.

WHERE DID YOU GET THE INSPIRATION FOR BOB ?

The inspiration from Bob mostly came from me wanting to […] my teacher's notes.  I told her - after I'd written the first series of the DF - or the first chapter of the first book - she read the chapter and said - Well, I think you've done it!   I said "What?!"  She said this is sellable.  I think this will sell.  What are you planning for next?  And I'm like uh -uh - he's got to go talk to his - I've got to give him this assistant so that when the cops are around they'll be the dummies that he can explain things to - cause that's one of the principles of writing - it's the joy of idiocy - you always keep one dummy around to ask questions and have things explained to him and that's how you get the information to the reader in a more entertaining fashion.

So sometimes Murphy will be the dummy and then when there's something that Dresden needs to know he can go to this more nerdy assistant and the assistant will be the dummy - errr - and he'll be the dummy and the assistant will be the smart guy.  And she's [i e his teacher] like okay - that works.  Just dont make him a talking head.  [Laughter]  Which is writing crap shorthand for a character that just shows up and dispenses information and then turns around and walks away.  And the examples she always used for the talking head characters were the characters from the old bad b/w s-f movies who would show up and say - "As you know, Bob .."  Except, if Bob knows, why are you explaining it to him, you meathead! 

So I had to make a literal talking head named Bob and she sort of read that and just looked up at me over her spectacles across the desk and said "You think you're funny don't you?"

DID CASSIUS'  DEATH CURSE GET RESOLVED?

Yeah - and that was also really something that was part of the factors that Dresden did not know about that was pushing him towards that decision to begin with.  But that's not something that he can tangibly factor in to what he's experiencing at the time.

I REALLY ENJOYED YOUR DEPICTION OF THE FAE IN THE BOOKS.  WHAT WAS YOUR FIRST ENCOUNTER WITH THEM […..]

I first ran into the Fae in terms of the Fae being the Sidhe and not just like Tinkerbelle or [….] when I was playing Amber-mush [?] in the early 90's and I would mush like a theme and I could mush 11 characters simultaneously.  Some of them had conversations with one another .  But that was when my fingers still worked really well and I had really awesome typing speed.  But that was when I first ran into the concept of the Sidhe and then I had to go and look them up and expand on them and learn more about them there.

NOT SO MUCH A QUESTION BUT I JUST WANTED TO THANK YOU FOR YOUR POSITIVE PORTRAYAL OF CHRISTIAN CHARACTERS BECAUSE THERE'S SO MANY BOOKS WHERE THEY TAKE CHRISTIAN CHARACTERS AND THEY MAKE THEM SO STEREOTYPICAL AND SO HYPERCRITICAL AND I REALLY APPRECIATE THAT VERY POSITIVE PORTRAYAL OF THE  CHRISTIAN CHARACTERS WITH MICHAEL AND HIS FAMILY AND SO I JUST WANTED TO THANK YOU FOR THAT.

Oh - she likes the positive portrayal of Michael and his family as the  Christian characters and you're right - I mean most often if you're going to have the Christian faith appearing in a book or a movie the guy who's supposed to be embodying it is always either a hypocrite or a self-righteous moron.  I wanted to try and write something that I thought was a little bit closer to the actual ideal.  The people who actually do live up to that actual ideal  aren't the people who go around saying - Look!  Im living up to the ideal - there're too busy being it.

I WAS WONDERING IF MAC'S ALE WAS BASED ON A BEER YOU'VE HAD OR IF I SHOULD GET  WITH MY BREWING BUDDIES AND START MAKING IT?

I don't drink - like at all.   My family line has way too high a cross-enrollment in alcoholics anonymous and state prisons.  So it's one of those things - like -no, I think I'd better stay away from that and so I have.   So I have to rely on my friends who actually do appreciate it to be able to tell me - no, you've got to write about it like this - Oh, okay.  I can do that.

DO YOU PLAY WARHAMMER? 

Like the online version?

END OF PART 4

Offline Starshine

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 24, 2012, 05:58:02 AM »
BEAVERCREEK PART 5

I've got whole armies painted up.  I can field a bunch of different armies - if my son hadn't lost all my models by now.  He likes the game too, so - and the poor kid, he grew up in a family surrounded by all my nerdy friends - he had no chance.

ARE YOU EVER GOING TO EXPLAIN HOW MAC GOT HIS PUB TO BE ACCORDED NEUTRAL GROUND?

Well, he filled out the paperwork and there was a $40 fee - yeah, we'll get into that at some point.

DID YOU ACTUALLY WRITE CODEX ALERA ON A BET?

Indeed.  This was before I had gotten published and I was on several different writing groups on the internet, and there were all these discussions that went on constantly - and these were discussions that went on constantly because these were the kinds of arguments that pretty much you hit the reply button, then your caps lock, then start typing.

And I was a little loud-mouthed kid on the internet at the time with all the other loud-mouthed kids on the internet and there was a big argument that came up over the concept of the sacred idea vs the creator's presentation.  The idea behind the sacred idea is that if you've got a good enough idea you can sell a book that's wildly successful even if you write terribly and the example they held up to embody that was Jurassic Park.  Their example not mine.

Whereas I was on the other side of the argument that said that you could take the oldest, tiredest, worst idea in the entire world and if you had a good enough writer writing it and handling it, he could make it fresh and new and create something new out of that, that was still valuable.  I mean, how many versions of Romeo and Juliet have you seen - it's unreal.

So the discussion went on back and forth and finally this guy said - You know what?  Why don't you just put your money where your mouth is ?  Why don't you just let me give you a bad idea and see if YOU can write a series out of it?  And being the nerdy kid I was at the time, I said - No, Ive got a better idea.  Why don't you give me TWO terrible ideas and I'll use them BOTH. 

That'll learn me to keep my mouth shut.  So the kid says - All right.  First terrible idea - lost Roman legion.   I am so sick of lost Roman legions stories.  All lost Roman legions should have been found by now! 

So the lost Roman legion was the first idea.  So I said - Okay.  What's number 2?  And he said - Pokymon!  So I went and researched it.  I went and researched the lost Roman legion.  They usually mean the 9th Hibernia Legion when they talk about that.  It was the Legion that disappeared while marching in friendly territory - and, marching through a thunderstorm - and never marched out.  And to my way of thinking probably that territory wasn't quite so friendly.  But on the other hand, what if they went somewhere else?  Okay, where did they go?    Land of Pokymon - obviously! 

So I went and researched Pokymon - which is itself a fusion of two ideas, one of which is the Shinto religion with the idea that within all natural things there is a vital spirit of life called a Kami and if you've got like a little pebble there's a little teeny kami  and if you've got a great big mountain, there's a great big kami inside it - and you'd better respect it.  And you should respect the pebble too, but if you don't  - what's it gonna do - it's a pebble.  It's really limited in terms of how it can harm you.

And for Pokymon they took that idea and they fused it with professional wrestling.  So I said - okay.  You know what?  Let's take that Shinto idea and use that and I'll infuse the natural things in the Pokymon world with these spirits and the lost Roman legion will show up there, and I mixed it together and I gave them a couple of thousand years to have a complete apocalypse on their planet, and then form a society, and started growing  and kind of documented everything that happened and then said - Okay.  This is point where I'm going to start.  And I started writing it with a boy on a farm because that's where fantasy starts.  Not my rule - that's just how it started. 

And started writing that.  And then as I got into it, I was like - ooh - this is actually a really good story - I like it - I think I could do something with it .  And I said - You know what?  Im not going to put this up on the list because that's [tantamount?] to publishing it and it could cause me a headache selling it later, so Im just going to keep this.  And I'm not actually going to put that up there, and the guy sent me an email back, and said like - hamf!  In other words, I won.

[And now I can go] yeah - you won - sure.

WHY DOES MORT NOT INFLUENCE TECHNOLOGY THE WAY HARRY DOES?

Mort is not nearly so powerful or disruptive or conflicted as Dresden is.  Mort is very comfortable with being a coward.  He's totally at peace with that - which is one of the reasons why - one of the things that causes the whole magical haywire thing is the fact that human beings in general are very conflicted creatures.  And that sort of tends to put off - with their baser nature conflicting with the better angels of their nature kind of puts off the interference that causes all the trouble around them.  It wasn't always shorting out technology.  100 years ago - or 200 years ago - it was making milk go sour.  Before that you got weird spots on your body.  That sort of thing changes as you go along - the rules of magic are always changing.

And it also means - like if it's a fairy magician - someone like Lea - she could play Nintendo all day if she wants to - because she's not conflicted at all about her nature.  "No - I'll turn you into a dog.  Really - it'll be good for you". 

THE OTHER BOOK THAT  YOU TALKED ABOUT WRITING AFTER DRESDEN - WOULD THAT BE PART OF A WHOLE OTHER 26 OR 27 BOOK OR -?

Oh - the other book that I was talking about writing?  It is a - the way I see it in my head now - it's a trilogy that is actually a threefold trilogy for my epic, epic fantasy epic that Im going to write some day.  It's so epic that it has to be a threefold trilogy -  or maybe it wont be that epic - but I'll end up writing it eventually - when I grow up.

IS IT SET IN ALERA?

No it's not in Alera - we're going off to somewhere else.  It's very heavily influenced by the Black Company - and we'll run with it from there.  It's sort of set in the days immediately after the end of the Giant Apocalyptic Fantasy War, which didn't really end spectacularly well because [the Euros??? ]  there blew it.  And while we're not quite as apocalyptic as a [Brandon Sanderson?] novel - he's happy to write novels where the end of the world came and now you've got to live through it - it's not quite that bad - but it is exploring a little bit different [feelings?] than we normally see.  There wont be any marching to Mt Doom.   It'll be more like how do we put the world back together after these idiots shattered it.

DO YOU REALLY BELIEVE IT IS POSSIBLE TO BE BOTH A STAR WARS AND A STAR TREK FAN AT THE SAME TIME?

Probably - but really - nobody's equal.  You can't tell me anybody is - Oh SW and ST - I like them both.  Unless it's like my wife who doesn't care for either of them.  I mean, she'll watch 'em for me, but she's always got to make fun of 'em.

YOU KNOW  SOMETIMES PEOPLE WILL SAY  - ARE YOU GOING TO DO THIS WITH THE CHARACTERS?  AND YOU SAY -IM NOT GOING TO TELL YOU.  BUT INSIDE, ARE YOU SOMETIMES THINKING - YEAH, I THINK  I WILL, NOW THAT THEY SAID THAT.  DO YOU EVER GET YOUR IDEAS THAT WAY?

Do I ever think to myself - hmmm - and actually take inspiration from that?  My lawyer told me to tell you - no.  But - the fact of the matter is - is that if you did touch off a good idea in my head, yeah I'll use it.  I want to write the best story I can.  Occasionally people have asked me stuff and I went - haaaa - I almost DO have to do that - I've got to get Dresden in a giant bunny costume somehow.  That'd be awesome!

[VERY LONG QUESTION - TOO FAR FROM THE MIKE FOR ME TO GET - SOMETHING ABOUT THE COLORING OF THE FAIRIES/FAIRY COURTS - and unfortunately Jim didn't repeat it]

Yeah but she can make her hair and her eyes any color she wants to.  The question here is that the Leansidhe nature seems to conflict with that of Summer - or with that of Winter - and she seems to be much more Summer-y, since she wears lots of reds and greens and so on.

[FURTHER QUESTION FROM SAME GUY - SOMETHING ABOUT HARRY AND THE GARDEN]

No spoilers! - I'm sure there are some people here who haven't read the book.

END OF PART 5

Offline Starshine

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 24, 2012, 09:32:59 AM »
BEAVERCREEK 6

They're not elementals.  They're not divided along the lines of - specifically - of the classical elements.  They're more about the elemental portions of the soul, which - okay, that's getting really technical and highfaluting.  But the point is, Lea drains people's blood and drinks it, and that was how she made her bones in the fairy world.  She's an actual legendary figure, where bards and poets and painters and so on would come to her and seek her inspiration.  And she was kind of this vampire-muse - that was the original Leansidhe - that's her original story.  And in the DF universe that was how she made her bones, that's how she impressed big Mab.   It was like - oh wow - you took these guys who were out there just seeking to create something beautiful and yet increased your dark and evil power - Well done!

HOW DO YOU SET UP YOUR WORK SCHEDULE?

That would imply that I know how to use a schedule and have some kind of circadian rhythm.  Yeah - I don't dance.  I don't even have circadian rhythm.  But generally speaking, I'll get up in the morning around 11 or 12.  I'll spend the day taking care of business stuff that needs to be taken care of - you know the regular house stuff that needs to be taken care of, maybe go to the gym, evening I'll be hanging out with Shannon [….] or we'll do stuff in the evening.  She'll go to be around 9:30 or 10 and then I'll settle down to write.  And I will write from whenever she goes to bed until 5, 6 7 in the morning - whenever I'm done - as long as Im not playing too many video games - and then she gets up - and I'll go to bed and she'll get up not too long after that, and then she gets to do HER writing while the house is quiet.  So we're not ever walking into one another because three dimensions were not enough to keep us far enough away while we were working so we had to be apart in time as well.  But so far it's worked out.  We haven't stabbed each other in the eyes with pencils like we almost did in high school.

ARE WE GOING TO BE INTRODUCED MORE TO THE OBLIVION WARS AND IS GOD HIMSELF GOING TO EVENTUALLY STEP IN?

Well there are sort of these archangels and  holy swords running around.  I sort of do regard that as some kind of intervention myself.  As far as more Oblivion Wars stuff,  not a whole lot.  It's not really tied into Harry.  It's one of those things that has been going on for a long, long time in the background.  I always knew it was going on - but Dresden could not play that one - that's the kind of war you have to fight with discipline and Dresden can't keep his mouth shut to save his life - like literally he cant't  keep his mouth shut save his life.

ARE THERE ANY CHARACTERS THAT YOU'VE CREATED THAT  YOU THOUGHT WOULD GO SOMEPLACE AND THEN AFTER THE BOOK WAS PUBLISHED YOU TRIED TO BRING THEM BACK AND YOU JUST  -  IT DIDINT PAN OUT THE WAY YOU WANTED IT TO OR YOU DECIDED NOT TO INTRODUCE THEM AGAIN?

Are there ever any characters that I introduced with broader designs in mind that after the book was over when I went back to try and dig them out again it just didn't work.  Have I ever done that?  No.  I have problems in the opposite direction where I create a character that's supposed to show up for one scene and that's all he's supposed to be there for but he winds up being cool enough that I end up using him again and again and again because I just can't get rid of him.  That's what happened to Butters.  He was supposed to be just a one-shot scene guy and by the time I got done with him I'm like - this little geek is cool.  I need to have him around more.  But no, so far we're doing okay in terms of, when I need to bring a character back, it's okay, I can do that.  It works so far.

I SAW ANOTHER QUESTION YOU WERE ASKED AT A DIFFERENT SIGNING WHERE YOU MENTION THAT THE BLACKSTAFF CAME FROM SOMEBODY […..CELTIC MYTHOLOGY…………..IS HE LIKE HUNTING DOWN………….]

Im not gonna tell you - is the answer to that question.  It's more fun to find out as we go along.  There's a little bit of a revelation about the Blackstaff's origin - it really was something I mentioned somewhere else - like at a convention or something - and told folks - Yeah.  The Blackstaff, it came from somewhere.  It's not just something that came out of Ebenezar's yard.  And the original owner of the Blackstaff is quite perturbed that he no longer has it - he, she, it no longer has it, so that will come into play eventually.

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE BOOK IN THE DRESDEN FILES?

Dead Beats.  […….] dinosaurs.  I was ready for like 6 years to write that.  You can only put that stuff off for so long without going crazy.

ROWLING SAID THE […]  WHERE HARRY DIES WAS ONE OF THE TOUGHEST CHAPTERS SHE'D EVER WRITTEN.  HAVE YOU EVER HAD A CHAPTER LIKE THAT?

Heck no.  I love those scenes.  I love that.  That's  one of my favorite things to work on.  The hard chapters for me are the ones where anybody really is trying to sit down and figure something out, and there's not a lot of dialogue and not a lot of action.  Cause if I cant [live off?] somebody or punch them in the face I hardly know what to do with myself.  At least as a writer.

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE PART ABOUT GOING TO CONVENTIONS?

Meeting you guys and talking and having people laugh, getting the sign table for the books - that's fun.  I'm an awful traveller.  I travel so badly I actually have to buy one of those big bottles of dramomine to come with me.  The best part about conventions is getting to actually sit out and meet people.  And like people going Yay! when you walk into a room - that doesn't hurt either.  I only say this like once a year - or at conventions or maybe at bookstores sometimes - and the rest of the time I just go home and mow the lawn but - it's kind of fun, I have to say.

WAS IT HARDER TO GET YOURSELF OR THE PUBLISHER TO DELAY GHOST STORY?

Well it wasn't hard to convince the publisher because on the day it was supposed to be delivered I was still about 12 chapters short of the end.  They simply couldn't have done it - there was no book there.  Convincing myself that I needed to admit that I needed more time - that was harder.  But I had a lot of things that I had to pull together and the story hadn't gelled yet in my mind - to figure out what was going on in the end - and when it finally did, it was like - Aha!  Now I got it!  It actually came in early from the second deadline, but - you know - that's almost like being on time.

HOW DID YOU END UP DOING THE SPIDERMAN BOOK AND WOULD YOU EVER DO ONE AGAIN?

I went to [Dragon?] - com and the original editor of the Dresden Files, Jen Heddle [?] was there, and she had moved positions - was working in Pocket - and said "We're publishing some Spiderman books and I wanted to see if you wanted to write --.   And she got about that far before I said - YES!!  I want to write a Spiderman book."   i don't think I could play poker very well or negotiate anything at all.  Everyone reads Spiderman - what are you crazy?   She's like - Oh the money isn't bad.    I WANT TO WRITE SPIDERMAN!!!    Okay - these days, I don't think I could do another one, my schedule is so busy - although that could probably change in the future.  Cause I love the heroes that I grew up with when I was a kid.  You can put the Rhino on Aunt May's couch drinking tea - awesome!

Okay - last question.

WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING IF YOU WERENT A WRITER?

I would probably still be working tech support somewhere.  It was a fun job.  I worked at an internet tech support company and I was the all night guy.  It was a great experience.  I was actually good at doing the job.  I was the guy who could always piece together something to keep the system up until morning so I didn't have to get people out of bed - that's why they gave me the night shift.  So I'd probably be doing that and liking it.

Okay guys - thank you very much for putting up with me.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 04, 2012, 11:53:59 AM »
Okay guys - thank you very much for putting up with me.

No Thank YOU so much for doing this for us.  I'll get it transferred over to the WoJ section soon.  I've been distracted with diapers and guests come up from Florida to see lil Serack and such.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 01:38:43 AM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 06, 2012, 12:44:11 AM »
Thanks for the heads up, I've also posted a thanks in the OP.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Korwin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: June 11, 2012, 08:39:43 AM »
Lets see - [Scal ---]  I read [Scal--] .  I read [….] and [Hagen?] for being able to write this beautiful poetic passages and then switch instantly to the gritty, pulpy action prose - I hate that guy!  He's really nice though.

Recently I've been reading [Brandon Chanderson?]  I finished Way of Kings this morning on the plane.  I thought it was a wonderful book.  I hope I can do happy fantasy that good at some point.
Pretty shure that should be John Scalzi, Patrick Rothfuss, no clue about that hagen and Brandon Sanderson.

Offline Kathryn Rose

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 18, 2012, 05:24:34 AM »
I'll do the Geek's Guide to the Galaxy phone interview.

Offline Compass Rose

• Conversationalist
  • Bassist holding down the low end
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 18, 2012, 01:42:36 PM »
Naomi writes the Temaire series - alternate universe Earth during Napoleonic Wars where in addition to stuff that actually happened there are war dragons that people ride into battle...
The Universe without Music is Madness

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 18, 2012, 02:15:01 PM »
Naomi writes the Temaire series - alternate universe Earth during Napoleonic Wars where in addition to stuff that actually happened there are war dragons that people ride into battle...

I think you posted this in the wrong thread.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Compass Rose

• Conversationalist
  • Bassist holding down the low end
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 18, 2012, 09:23:17 PM »
Nope. Naomi mentioned above as one of the authors / series that JB likes, and transciber was not sure of series name. Just trying to clarify the reference, as I recently started reading those books.
The Universe without Music is Madness

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
transcription offer
« Reply #194 on: December 05, 2012, 05:40:36 PM »
Pamela/JediTigger has volunteered to transcribe the Redondo Beach signing, unless someone has already claimed it.  Has it already been claimed/transcribed?