Author Topic: WoJ transcription help needed + mention new WoJ's here  (Read 138901 times)

Offline dagaetch

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: WoJ transcription help needed + mention new WoJ's here
« Reply #135 on: August 18, 2011, 08:08:27 PM »
second half of Gamer's Haven...

There’s a few questions I try to ask everyone I have on the show, first of all, you mentioned a steampunk setting, what is it you’re playing recently or running gamewise?
I’m running a steampunk game that I’m going to have a steampunky story set in at some point, where I’m going to write some actual books there, so I wanted to run the world so I could…it kinda forces me to do some building that I wouldn’t do otherwise…using the Warhammer fantasy build system. I was one of the play-testers of D&D Fourth Edition, where I had to sign the Do Not Disclose agreement and had to give my firstborn to Wizards of the Coast and so on. I wrote my review , a two word review of D&D 4th edition which I don’t think they liked very much, because I just wrote, “New Coke” and left it at that. But in any case, I’ve played some 4th edition lately, I’ve played some Gamma world lately, which is, oh my gosh, that is ridiculous, we do total party wipes like every Friday it’s hilarious. That’s pretty much what we’ve been doing lately.

I haven’t gotten into the whole Gamma world thing, it just seemed a bit too random for me, but…
It’s very random and over the top, but if you approach it with the right attitude, “we’re all going to die as amusingly as possible,” then it becomes a much more fun game. You either have to play it like that, or you have to play it commando style, where everything is bland, and everybody is right on top of it.

Sort of reminds me of Paranoia, I don’t know if you ever played that one…
Oh yeah, absolutely.

That can be incredibly random, or be really really dark.
Exactly. It’s really hilarious or it’s completely grim. On the other hand, we’ve had some really terrible, I mean horrible hideous Cthulhu campaigns that were just fun as anything. Once you can be laughing about cannibalism because it’s hilarious, you’re doing something right.

I’m a big fan of the Lovecraft stuff, and…yeah. That can be darn entertaining, and it can also give you nightmares and not let you sleep at night.
Exactly.

With all these other iterations of Dresden out there, the tv series, the books, all that…with the comic books, do you write the comic books or do they have separate authors for the comics?
I wrote the entire script for Welcome to the Jungle, which is the four issue kind of preview. It’s this little prequel story to Storm Front. They’re writing the script based off of the manuscripts for Storm Front and Fool Moon, and they send me those for review. If anything, I think they stick to it too closely, because I look at that and go “Hey, I really didn’t know very much about storytelling there, you could’ve skipped this whole part and I don’t think anybody would have complained.” But they tend not to, so. I recently did an outline for another graphic novel, for Dynamite, which they’re going to produce, and I wrote a fairly in-depth outline and then there’s gonna be, the script is actually going to be written together with the same script writer they’ve been using for Storm Front/Fool Moon. That’ll be a new project coming out.

It’s just like with making a campaign world for D&D or any of it. How is it to have other people playing in your sandbox, as it were?
Oh, I get twitchy, I think anybody would. For tv, I kind of said, “Okay, these books may be my babies, but baby’s going off to college now, and is gonna get it’s hair dyed pink and get a piercing in an awkward place, and I just have to accept that.” Working with the comics, they’ve been very considerate with me in terms of, creatively speaking, which is great, and that’s been a fairly positive experience so far.

With these other people playing in your sandbox, one thing I like to ask the writers I have on the show is, are there any sandboxes out there that you would love to go play in?
Yeah, there are several story worlds that I would have so much fun romping around in. David Weber’s Honor Harrington universe just cries out for someone to go play in it. Black Company, I would love to write the new adventures of Black Company except I couldn’t, but that setting was just so wonderful and the characters were so much fun. There’s all kind of places where I would go and play, but it’s their sandbox and their creation, you don’t go over there and do that.

One thing that’s great about gaming is it lets you go play in other people’s sandboxes.
Absolutely!

With the RPG coming out, you’re actually the first writer I’ve had on the show that has worked on original content that has turned into a role playing game. With the RPG out there, now that there are countless people out there, “playing in your sandbox,” how does that make you feel as far as the attention that people are giving to your work over the last fifteen years?
It’s a lot of fun, basically. Folks are having a good time, which was sort of the point of the stories to begin with, to write things that people had fun reading. The idea that they’re going to get to go out and use their own creativity to add to the stuff that I’ve done, to have more fun, fantastic! Go for it. Do it.

When Fred Hicks went to you about making a role playing game, was that something you always wanted to see happen with the Dresden stuff?
I thought he was kinda crazy. I thought it was an awful idea, but he said he wanted to. Fred’s actually an old gaming buddy of mine, we gamed together a lot in college and he was one of the people I took particular delight in tormenting when he played in my game. Because really, that’s what a good GM does, he goes out of his way to make things awful for you and that’s the fun! But when he said he wanted to make a Dresden Files game, I thought, you know, Fred, don’t feel like you have to do this because I’m your friend or anything, I think you’re crazy, but if you think you can do it – “Oh I think it will be great!” – Okay, if you say so…I think it was a much bigger project than even he knew it was going to be, and it took him several years, but you know the game when it finally came out, it was worth the wait. They had really made something cool.

You haven’t actually had the chance to play it all, right?
No, I’ve gone to a couple sessions where people were playing and sort of observed, and I’ve read the rulebooks and I steal all the things that I like for my own game, so…

Did Fred have to fill in any blanks for you? I mean, what kind of leeway did you give him on that?
The guys who were doing the research, were so in-depth, there were pages and pages of communication between us. One of the problems that I had was not so much getting them enough information, as grabbing them because they had been research the books in such depth that they could say “Well, if these two things are true this third thing must be true also!” and I’d say “don’t put that in the role playing game I’m saving that for the book! You can’t possibly say that!” “Oh, okay. But it’s true, right?” “I’m not saying whether it’s true or not!” “Okay Jim.”

Well, looking at wrapping this thing up, I know we have a limited time with you, I have a series of questions that I try to ask, I’m going to try to put my James Lipton face on.
Okay.

In your gaming background and in your years as a gamer, what stands out right at this moment as your favorite game?
My favorite game, like system?

It can be system, it can be session you played, it’s whatever you take from the question.
Oh…You know what, the thing I enjoyed the most, was running a Birthright campaign under the old D&D rules.

My co-host would talk your ear off about that.
I mean, I ran a Birthright campaign that was epic. It was fun. You can ask Fred about it sometime if you ever talk to him.

I have never played Birthright *gasp from Jim* but my co-host has threatened to tie me down and make me play once.
Oh, it was awesome, everybody in the party basically gets to be a highlander unless you want to be just a regular old human, in which case you go up in levels faster than everybody else.

Along the same lines, have you had an absolutely terrible time in a game system, or a setting or anything like that?
Oh…I really haven’t enjoyed the new D&D very much. I think it feels very artificial, that the wonder of the game system, the fantastic element of it seems to have vanished into simulation.

We’re all pretty edition neutral on Gamer’s Haven, we just want people to play games, we don’t care what edition it is. We’re always making the point that we live in a very interesting time with D&D because you have 4th edition, plus you can still play Pathfinder which is the 3.6, you can go back and play the 3rd edition books, you can go back and play 1st edition, you can play original D&D still! That stuffs all available.

Finally, I just want to ask you real quick, one thing Gamer’s Haven is all about is sort of spreading the knowledge of and love of the hobby of gaming. I’m always curious, what is it about this hobby that you love? What brings you back to it time and again?
Really, gaming I think is the social interaction, it’s the fact that you’re there with friends is what really brings you back to the gaming over and over. The stories that you get to tell later, the laughs you get to have while you’re doing it, really people build up their communities, their social friendships around all kind of different things, gaming is no crazier than going to professional football games or any number of other social centered activities. I think what brings me back to the gaming is that, being with my friends, and then telling the story. You’ve got to be making stuff up left and right, and even when you’re a player, if you’re a good player, you’re still continually adding things to the game or creating headaches for your DM, so…

Ghost Story comes out in hardback on July 26th, and I believe the audiobook is about a week or so after that, like August…?
Yeah, a little bit after that.

Obviously, paperback is TBD at this point. The role playing game is getting tons and tons of praise, it came out last year and a lot of people are salivating over it. I want to thank you for being on the show, and you have a good one!
Thank you very much for having me! You too.
If the building's on fire, it probably is my fault.

Quote from: AcornArmy
We are now debating the possible alternate-universe implications of a frozen turkey in freefall. I can't decide if I love the forum for this, or if we all need serious, immediate therapy of some kind.

Offline dagaetch

• Participant
    • View Profile
Naperville (Chicago area) Signing Q&A Part 1
« Reply #136 on: August 19, 2011, 04:55:47 PM »
Naperville (Chicago area) Signing Q&A Part 1
Transcription by dagaetch

JB: Okay, Hi. *applause* Wow, there’s a lot of people here. Alright, well let’s just…I don’t like to do a reading, most of my fans can do that for themselves, so let’s just go to questions and answers if that’s okay with you guys. *more applause* Okay, but for it to work, someone has to ask a question. Okay good, right here.

Does the relationship of Ebenezar McCoy and Thomas Raith ever come into play as grandfather/grandson?
That’s one of those things that’s in the future, that’s way more fun if you don’t get to find out about it. Unfortunately or fortunately, depending on your particular point of view on the matter, I think blood relations come into play and that’s all there is to it. One way or another, positive or negative, they’re there for something always, so yeah.

Is Mouse going to come back soon?
How far have you read? *laughter* Oh, you just didn’t want him to disappear? I’m not giving anything like that away. You don’t ask me questions I can actually answer *unintelligible* coming in the future!

Did you know all along that Harry was going to get shot, or did it just come up in the writing?
Well I don’t know, gosh, I had him dead solving his own murder in book 13. Yeah, I pretty much planned that out. I know there was a bunch of ways I wanted to end the book with him, and a bunch of ways I wanted to begin a book with him, and I’ve gotten to do several of them so far, I’m going to have to step it up though to be able to get them all in.

Is the Winter Court interested in Molly?
Lea’s offer (back in Grave Peril) was a pretty generic, “Give me your first child” offer, as opposed to “Hey, I specifically want that one.” But Molly is unfortunately in a position where she’s going to get noticed by all kinds of things that intent her no good, and the Winter Court may be among them, yes. But that’s what you get for hanging around with Dresden, it rubs off on you.

Is Harry’s daughter going to be a big power play in the series?
What, it’s not good enough for you already? I mean, we did a global extermination of Red Court vampires, she was kind of fulcrum-ish in that, yeah.

Is she going to have powers of her own?
There’s another one of those questions I can’t answer! It’ll be more fun when we find out later.

Would someone in Mab’s weight class be capable of taking a White Court demon out of a vampire?
Oh, absolutely. She could rip that thing right out of Thomas. Not that there would be much of Thomas left after she was done. Mab’s not particularly gentle that way. It’s possible that there might be some way to get out of it, maybe, but what fun would that be?

Why are you in Naperville but not Chicago?
Because I don’t schedule these things. I just go where the editor tells me. “Jim, you’re going here.” “Yes, I can do that.” They’ve got like a minute by minute schedule for my day that I can follow and read and look at, it’s like “Okay, quarter of seven get to the bookstore, seven, start talking…” I’m following the schedule.

How do you feel about the tv series?
Could’ve been worse. No seriously, it’s a glass half full situation. It’s one of those things where, had the series kept going, it might have gone all squirrelly. The fact that it went down early, meh, I don’t necessarily like that. I have a theory about why it happened. It’s this whole conspiracy theory about, I mean there’s shooters on the grassy knoll and…there’s no proof to it, but I figure a good conspiracy theory, that actually makes it stronger. In any case, they could have done a worse job with it, and I certainly could have gotten burned harder than I did. I got to go up and do the Stan Lee appearance in the background on the show, and I got to meet the actors and the people who were making it and so on, so that was a fun experience, it was cool.

What’s been your favorite part about writing the Dresden Files?
I would have to say, going to work in my pajamas is the very best part. I don’t ever have to wear a tie, I just hate them, like with a completely irrational pathological hatred. So I haven’t had to wear one for a job lately, and I get to go to work in my PJ’s, and I got to spend a lot more time with my kid while he was at home than I would have gotten to otherwise. So that’s probably the best part about the job. The actual specific working on it? The reader screams of pain, maybe? *audience member: good to know you can hear those!* Just occasionally, well I don’t hear them so much as sense them through the forest. Yeah, I do occasionally. I’m even worse to the poor people who beta read for me. They go on a chapter by chapter base, and I make it a point to make them scream every chapter. But, I mean, you can’t do that to everyone! Darn it.

Where was Harry’s apartment?
In the same mythical four or five blocks where his office was, and where Mac’s is. It’s really dangerous to use an actual location because there’s always that occasional unbalanced person who just decides “Well, this needs to be true to the books, I’m going to burn this house down.” *audience laughter* I knew I was gonna be wrecking the place, so maybe I’ll just kind of make it semi-mythical and that will be healthier for everyone.

What was the actual delay about in the publishing of Ghost Story?
The deadline date that it was due, the last day that they could do it without changing the publishing schedule, I think I had written up to the scene where Dresden is talking to Molly outside of the Big Hoods hideout. So there was still like a third of the book left to write, which was most of the issue. When you get right down to it, it just wasn’t done yet. I write as fast as I can, and in this case, it was considerably harder to write, it just wasn’t done yet, so I had to say “It isn’t finished!” and in New York they went “Ugh, creative people! Okay…”

Are you working on any other projects besides Harry Dresden?
Yeah, always. Right now, I’m working on a fantasy trilogy which I think is going to wind up being the prequel trilogy to my epic epic fantasy epic. I’ve got my big epic fantasy epic in mind, but I feel I need to lay groundwork with a prequel trilogy. So far it’s a lot of fun, it’s very strongly influenced by the Black Company, and we’ll see what happens.

On the JB forums, there’s a “Give Him Idea’s” topic. Do you ever take any ideas from your fans to put into your books at all?
There is? I didn’t realize that! I knew there were several “Ask Jim Questions” things, which I will occasionally jet by and answer, at least the simple ones. I didn’t realize it was there! That’s interesting. There are folks who kind of occasionally stop and say “Hey! I would really like to read a story from, you know, Toot-Toot’s perspective.” That would be such a wild perspective. I’m going to have to eat nothing but *crowd offers suggestions* stuff like that, I would have to just fuel myself purely on sugar. Pizza doesn’t have the same affect on my it does on faeries. I just sort of get sleepy myself. But yeah, definitely have to do some serious candy for that to happen.

Do you have anyone in mind or assigned yet for who bears the Swords?
Several people actually, I haven’t decided who they’re going to fall out to. I’ve got several really cool candidates that would just be a whole lot of fun, but it’s like, “But I don’t want to do it to you guys, you’re nice! Give you one of these Swords and I’m going to have to be mean to you.” That’s kind of the way it works out.

Is there any possibility of you going to WizardCon?
Oh no, I’m going home and staying there for like, a month and a half. I’m gonna go crouch down in my aerobic room and just stay there like that. Maybe order out for pizza sometimes, that’s about it. Besides, I gotta get to work on the next book, so…

What do you think of the graphic novels?
Depends on which ones you mean. I really enjoyed writing Welcome to the Jungle, it was a lot of fun to write. I really enjoyed the artist they had on it, Ardian, he was awesome. But apparently there were some issues with checks bouncing, and somebody came to Ardian and said “Hey! We would like you to write for our comic book, Batman!” And Ardian said, “Very well, I shall write Batman now.” For which I can hardly blame him. We tried some different artists and we’ve got a new artist that’s coming in to do Fool Moon, and I’ve written the outline for another original graphic novel which will be a lot of fun. As I’m writing the outline, I’m like “Man this is cool! I should have written this as a book!” If only I knew then what I know now.

Given the role of the White God in the books, is Dresden ever going to meet Il Papa and will he be badass?
The answer to that is, I’m not sure. I’m not sure that the public Pope is the real Pope in the Dresden Files. The real Pope might be way stealthier than that, I’m not certain. That might just be the guy designed to draw political fire and tangle up everybody who really wants to get things politically involved in church things.

We are now debating the possible alternate-universe implications of a frozen turkey in freefall. I can't decide if I love the forum for this, or if we all need serious, immediate therapy of some kind.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 19, 2011, 07:06:58 PM »
thanks dagaetch and everybody else that has been working on transcripts lately!
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline dagaetch

• Participant
    • View Profile
Naperville (Chicago area) Signing Q&A Part 3
« Reply #138 on: August 19, 2011, 07:25:15 PM »
Naperville (Chicago area) Signing Q&A Part 3
Transcription by dagaetch

How strong is Demonreach compared to Mab, Nicodemus, and all the other antagonists Harry faces?
That’s depending on where you stand. Like literally your GPS coordinates. If you’re in the right spot, don’t mess with Demonreach, and if you’re not, who cares. He’s one of those situations. If you want to go out to that island and play, you better bring your A game, is the way it works out.

Why did you choose Chicago as the base for the Dresden Files?
Because my teacher would not let me set it in Kansas City, my hometown. She said “Jim, I really think this is gonna get published, and you’re already walking close enough to Laurel Hamilton’s toes that you do not need to set your series in Missouri as well. Pick another city.” And I said “What other city?” “Any other city it doesn’t matter, just not there.” I’m like okay, there’s a globe on her desk, it’s got four American cities on it. I don’t want to do New York because superheroes have that all sewn up. I don’t want to do D.C., because then you have to write politics, and you’re going to lose people who don’t like your politics, where you stand. Los Angeles was on the map, but I didn’t want to do L.A. because then, then I’d have to find out about L.A. And you know, Hollywood and everybody are around to find out things about them, they’re fine. So last city there was Chicago, I said “How about Chicago” and she said “Yeah that’ll be fine.” So okay, I guess I better learn about Chicago. Somewhere around book 3 I actually did that. I mean beyond like consulting maps and so on, that was around the time where the internet was actually starting to come into full swing and I was able to make contact with people who actually live there, and be able to say “Hey, I need to know what the east wall of Dresden’s cemetery looks like.” “Oh, yeah, I drive by it on the way to work, I’ll take a picture on my phone and email it to you by lunch!” It’s like, wow! This is a great day in which to be a writer.

How many more books of Harry can we look forward to?
I’m going to write about 20ish of the case files, like we’ve seen so far, there are a few things that can change that including parts of the story that I haven’t realized I have to tell yet, or my son going to graduate school. But after we’re done with the case books, then I’ll write a big old apocalyptic trilogy to kind of capstone the whole thing, because you know, who doesn’t love apocalyptic trilogies. That would be the point at which we’re bringing aircraft carriers and space shuttles into the story. Well, I guess not space shuttles really, we’ll have to figure something else out. *audience: awwww* Well, obsolete enough technology, maybe it would work, it’s certainly going to be more robust than anything brand new.

[paraphrased due to length] Why hasn’t Harry told everyone (Michael, etc) about the thing with the necktie on Nicodemus?
Because c’mon man, he’s a wizard! Wizards don’t tell you things, wizards deliberately don’t tell you things, and then feel smug about it. Actually, he probably didn’t tell the White Council because he figures “Hey, maybe I’ll need a necktie one day.” He probably didn’t mention it to Michael because it just didn’t come up, or he assumed Michael knew. Really, he kind of got lucky working it out. Although anybody who really stopped and thought about it could probably work it out. You know, guy running around with a hangman’s noose around his neck, choke him with it! Really, that’s not such a huge almighty secret.

When you write short stories, are they always by request of the author writing the anthology, or do you have them lying around?
No, all the short stories I write are by request of whoever’s putting the anthology together. And they usually say, “and this is sort of a vague theme that we’re using,” and I’ll be great! Beer! I can write that, which is fun. The only time I’ve kind of made my own theme was for trio of short stories that I’m doing for anthologies right now, which is the Bigfoot trilogy of short stories. Bigfoot’s the client. That’s about the only time I’ve done that.

Where did you get the idea for Harry?
My teacher told me, after several semesters of me writing books for her in her Writing a Genre Fiction Novel course, in which over the course of the semester you wrote a genre fiction novel, that was the class, and if you finished the book you got graded on it, and if not you failed. Yeah, it’s like here you go, get a book done. She said “Hey, you know Jim, when we talk in class you’re always talking about this trilogy of books that you really like called the Anita Blake novels (because there were three of them out at that time), and you’re always talking about Babylon 5, and lately this year you’ve been talking about Buffy the Vampire Slayer, why aren’t you writing something like that?” I said (posh British accent) “Because I am a fantasy author.” *laughter* She’s like, “You know, maybe you should think about doing it,” it was very diffidently put because she’d worked out at this point that if you tell me something I have to do the other thing, just by reflex. And so finally, that semester I decided that I was going to prove to her how wrong she was about all her writing theory. Her whole process and her whole everything, I was going to do it by being her good little writing monkey, and doing absolutely everything she told me, all the worksheets and outlines and everything, and then she would see what awful terrible cookie cutter crap comes out of that process, and I wrote Storm Front. *laughter and applause* I sure showed her! You know, I put Harry together out of Gandalf and Merlin and Sherlock Holmes, and Spenser, and Travis McGee. I said, let me go find the best qualities from these long running, successful, hard boiled private eyes, the original private eye Sherlock, and let me go find out all the qualities from them that they share in common and then all the qualities from these classical wizards that people love as characters, and I found out that if you’re a wizard, you have to be grumpy, there’s no other recourse, because wizards are grumpy. You’ve got to be nosy, and you’ve got to be a meddler, if you want to be a wizard. There’s no good wizard who’s not a meddler. I mean even Radigast was doing stuff and he got mentioned like twice. And then when I went to private eyes, what I found out about the most popular private eyes was, one of their main traits was they were tenacious, you absolutely cannot stop them from doing what they’re doing, they’re going to keep going no matter who gets in the way, that’s one. Two, they can all take a beating, and they get delivered horrible beatings left and right. So I had to have that. And then three, all the ones that I liked the most are willing to flip off to absolutely everyone, at absolutely the worst time, every time. So that was my ingredients list for Dresden, that I put together. So I made him tall like Sherlock, and skinny like Sherlock, and gawky, like the private eyes that I liked, and I beat him up a lot. I didn’t realize until I made my son watch, he was fifteen and I realized he’d never seen Raiders of the Lost Ark, so “Stop! Sit down.” And he’s like “What?”, I gotta go to a store and get a copy of Raiders of the Lost Ark, because we don’t have one, but “sit right there!” and so I made him watch it and I realized oh my gosh, that’s what Dresden is, he’s Indiana Jones, we just keep getting him more and more busted up, and I’m making it up as I go along, but anyway.

Now that Harry’s working for the Winter Court, is he going to have to deal with things like paying the rent and things like that?
Spoilers! That’s something that I’m going to let see, because it will be more fun for you to see it than not see it. I’ll tell you that Harry’s going to look at his job, his first day on the new job, he’s going to look at it much as anyone would their first day in prison, but we should have a good time with that.

Why did you cut your hair?
Mostly, to shock my wife. Plus, it was the tour for Changes and I thought it would be thematic. Yeah I walked out of the house with the hair down to the small of my back and a big old full beard, because I hadn’t done anything to it in a while, because I’d been writing, walked out with it like that, came back crew cut, clean shaven, and waited for the explosion of Oh My Gosh, and instead, we had one of those conversations where she doesn’t look up from what she’s doing for 10 minutes, *laughter* and I got tired of waiting, and finally, like 20 minutes after that, she looks up and goes “Oh my god! If I hadn’t been having a conversation with you I would have shot you!” But I’m glad you dig it. There’s a lot to be said for “I need to comb my hair! Where’s a damp washcloth *rubs his head* Done!”

Are we ever going to get to find out more about why Bob’s so squirrelly about the Winter Court, and why he’s nervous about Mab and so on?
Yeah. The next book is pretty much going to be our Winter Court book, so assume that’s true.

What did you do for fencing?
I did epi and foil in college, I graduated from that to LARP fencing, which is fencing with nerd swords, which is actually, there’s a very strong correlation if you’re in a system where you can hit people on the fingers. After that, I shifted to a different LARP game, where finger hits don’t count and so it’s a much more dramatic style of fighting, which I still do. In fact, I went mad with power when the Dresden series got popular and I bought a farm for us to go LARPing on. So I actually own a 160 acre farm, about 140 of which is 200 year old forest, it looks like Last of the Mohicans in there, but it’s awesome, we’ll go LARP in there and chase each other through the woods at night, with no lights and Nerf swords. Which is fun!

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 20, 2011, 05:08:54 PM »
dagaetch, I'm going over the naperville signing for the compilation now and I have to say...

Excellent job editing!  If Jim repeats a question back, I don't see the point in writing it twice, and making everyone read it twice, and you do great with that.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Ziggelly

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 21, 2011, 03:16:10 AM »
I'll do both the Patrick Rothfoss  interviews in the morning. I was almost done with the first one, but my computer decided it was a great time to die on me.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 21, 2011, 10:11:05 AM »
I'll do both the Patrick Rothfoss  interviews in the morning. I was almost done with the first one, but my computer decided it was a great time to die on me.

Oh noes!!! I hope you got a chance to save.

Edit:  When you are done with that, I highly recommend you watch this rothfuss video also from the SDCC.  It had me laughing so hard I cried.  (I just watched it again, and I am yet again wiping at the bottoms of my eyes)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 10:20:26 AM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline jeno

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 21, 2011, 10:23:02 AM »
(psst, hey, Serack - for the Jim Recommends thread, there's also the works of Lois McMaster Bujold. He's mentioned and recced her stuff multiple times. I seem to recall him offering to bear her children at one point, but possibly I am making that up.)
You think you know how this story is going to end, but you don't. -Christopher Moore

The kraken stirs. And ten billion sushi dinners cry out for vengeance. -Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 21, 2011, 12:05:34 PM »
(psst, hey, Serack - for the Jim Recommends thread, there's also the works of Lois McMaster Bujold. He's mentioned and recced her stuff multiple times. I seem to recall him offering to bear her children at one point, but possibly I am making that up.)

I was going to add those Friday, but I can't snatch the URL for the pictures from Amazon as easily from this computer as I can from the one I built that topic from(I'm forced to use an old version of I.E. on this one), so it will have to wait.

Although, if I get some down time later, I might try to work out a way to do it from here.

But there are a LOT of books and author's that Jim has recommended, and I will be putting a lot of effort into that topic in the future... there's a lot of editing involved though, so it takes me a bit of time, so I'm doing it bit by bit, and I spent a lot of time yesterday on the compilation.  I really wanted to get that topic started though because I was pretty excited about the idea of helping people find good books and help them support the forums at the same time.  So for now, it is a work in progress.  Hmmmm I'll add that to the title.

Actually Bujold's bibliography is so large that I don't think it would be pratical for me to add it to the post... but that could change.  I might just make that a seperate post within the topic.

Oh, and what Jim has said (on multiple occasions) is, "Professionally speaking, I want to have her babies."
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Ziggelly

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
SDCC - Patrick Rothfuss Interviews Jim Butcher
« Reply #144 on: August 21, 2011, 03:50:42 PM »
No, I didn't get to save, because I was stupid, so I had to start over from scratch. I was very mad. That was like... two or three hours down the drain. *Shrug*. Such is life, I suppose. One down, two-thirds of the other one to go. You guys should really watch those videos though, because it's very cute to watch/listen to Pat. He's such a fanboy. :D
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Patrick Rothfuss Interviews Jim Butcher (SDCC, 2011)
Diction by: Ziggelly

PR: Hi, there. My name's Patrick Rothfoss, and I'm here at Comic Con at the SUVUDU booth, interviewing Jim Butcher – the fabulous Jim Butcher.
JB: No, just this one.
PR: *Chuckles*. When I got the opportunity to do this, I absolutely jumped at it, because I have been, like, an increasingly gooey fan of the Dresden Files for years now, and I found myself doing something recently that I have not done for decades. Knowing that Ghost Story was about to be published, I had actually re-read, or re-listened to in the case of the audiobooks, every single book leading up to Ghost Story, which is like... thirteen?
JB: Yes, book thirteen.
PR: I have not done that since high school. And my reading time is very precious these days, so I need to make that like a statement of intent to how much I absolutely adore these books. And this is the first time I got to meet Jim, out here at Comic Con, and so in addition to being a fantastic author, I found out that he's also a lovely human being, a snappy dresser, a wonderful kisser... *Jim laughs*... and he smells like fresh baked cookies, too. Ah, god, you probably want to edit that one out.
(Video commentary: Not a chance. Mmmmm... cookies)
So if I could just bring a couple of questions on you...

JB: Okay.

PR: You end up with a nice framework for magic to work in. You make things fairly clear to the reader, the reader understands how it works, and it is a well established system that you stick to. Why did you end up doing that?
JB: Well, I had read many books about wizards, and what I found was that the ones that were most satisfying were the ones that had very clear understandings of what magic could and couldn't do, the kind of limits that were there. It was always very frustrating to me to see magic in operation as this sort of quasi-sentient force all its own. That was kind of the one thing that I never liked about magic, was magic that figured out what to do all by itself. And then I never really liked magic that was like “pop-machine” magic, either, that was like, as long as you say the right words and move your wand exactly right, there is what happens. So I decided to base my magic on physics. I wanted it to have certain laws that it had to adhere to. I even borrowed a bunch of Newtonian laws, you know: matter cannot be created nor destroyed, for every action there's an equal and opposite reaction. And I wanted my wizard character, instead of being sort of the shaman, the mystic, I wanted him to be more like a plumber of magic, you know: “I happen to be able to work with this stuff, I know how it works, I know what I'm doing, and I can make this shower go”... only in this case it's explosions and so on.
PR: That's interesting. Somebody said, “I like the plumber of magic,” somebody said, “you know, your guy isn't really a magician so much as he's an engineer”, and I'm like “Wow! I'll take that, actually.” And I kind of felt the same way about yours, because you do stick to, like, the laws of thermodynamics, and it all makes good sense.

Now, you have the basic magic that Harry uses day-to-day, there's alchemy – though I don't think you call it alchemy...

JB: Right, yeah.
PR: Was that a deliberate choice, to steer away from that term?
JB: Uh, yeah it was. In the Dresden Files, you have to remember that you're getting the whole world from Harry's point of view,  and when you're a wizard like Harry is, everything gets thought of in terms of 'this is how it works', because everything's a spell. Other people, for instance the werewolves and so on, they don't think of what they do anywhere near the same terms as Harry does. But he's a wizard, so he's got to lay everything out in the model that he understands. The old saying is: “If the only tool you have is a hammer, every problem's a nail.” And that's the way Dresden approaches things.
PR: And Harry is that hammer.
JB: He is. He is. He's some sort of tool. *Rothfuss laughs*. I'm not sure quite what yet exactly, but a hammer seems good.

PR: So, do you, yourself, when you're writing them, do you draw lines in your head between, say, the sort of magic that Harry does and the sort of magic the people in Bayport are capable of? Or is it just an issue of skill and quantity?
JB: Well, it's all a little bit different, but everyone interacts with that kind of energy in a different way. For instance, wizards cause disruptions in technology and other things around them because, you know, people are never all one thing or all the other, people are a conflicted group of weirdos, and so when you have human beings that are using magic, that sort of self-inner conflict, that's one of the side-effects that comes out, that's why they wreck things that are around them. If you're a fairy who's using magic, you're doing the same thing as a human being, but you don't have that cluttered human nature. You can sit around as a fairy and play X-box all you want, you're never going to ruin it, and still be an awesome wizard, but not as Dresden.

PR: That's a great way of approaching that. The world-building that you do is one of the more phenomenal parts of the books, where it's a very graceful introduction to the world. You don't get the big, heavy, texty, info-dump in the first book that you have to slog through, we're slowly introduced to a lot of these elements as the series progresses. And you have vampires, but not any sort of cliche vampires. You have werewolves, but it's not the sort of werewolf were I go, “ugh, I used to play this at White Wolf back in high school.” Was that kind of a specific intention, that you were trying to branch of, or...?
JB: Originally, when I first started outlining the books in the series, I would say, “okay, well, the first book we're going to have him going up against an evil wizard,” so it's himself versus the kind of dark version of what he can do, and that'll be a good introduction, and the next one I said, “I want to do one about werewolves,” and we're going to be doing ghosts for book three, and so on, and I started building  this stuff up as I went along, and when I actually started going in, and digging in, and doing research, and I didn't just want to do research by watching movies, although I do that a lot, (I tried to stop doing that after college), but when I would actually start digging into old folklore,  and so on, I found that things were very very different from my basic grew-up-watching-movies-TV-Scooby-Doo-playing-D&D concepts of what monsters were. The whole bitten by werewolf turns you into a werewolf, that's so Hollywood, the actual werewolf lore, it gets back into... well, there are many different sorts of werewolves that you can kind of run into depending on where you go in world, and then what I realized after I'd done all this werewolf research, and had this big, confusing, pool of werewolf candidates, I went “okay, you know what? This is not going to be a 'who's the werewolf?' book, it's going to be a 'which werewolf is guilty?' book, so now we're going to have a bunch of different werewolves available, so as I go out and find stuff out, a lot of the times that's the fun of it, is where I go and learn things and go, “oh, okay, this is not quite the book I thought it was going to be, we're going to switch things around.”

PR: Now, in terms of your plotting, it's one of the things that I'm terribly jealous of, because I'm comfortable with my world-building and other elements of my writing, but there are a couple things that you do that just so thoroughly out-class me, and one of them is the plotting, where you write these books that have, in themselves, great, very tight, very satisfying plots, but it's not like a sit-com. With a lot of series, you have the rise, and the fall, and the action, and then at the end of it, it's like the Simpsons - nothing is ever going to change in any permanent way. But in your books, you break that tradition in the episodic fantasy. How do you do that?! Teach me!
JB: Okay, basically, when I think of a book, what I'm actually writing is, like, Harry Dresden's worst weekend of the year that year. That's pretty much what I've got in mind. And then, to do that, I've got to figure out what are going to be awful things I'm going to have happen to him, what are going to be the cool things that I'm going to get to do within the story, and then after I put that all together, then I spend a lot of time between the books thinking, “okay, what's going to be the fallout from what's happened?” That's one of the things I've always taken to heart very seriously, is that actions have consequences, and choices have consequences, and you've got to live with them. So for Dresden, that's one of the fun things to do is to stop and think about,  “okay, now, this is what's been going on for the past six months, or eight months, or nine months, in the the Dresden universe. How is everybody who's actually in this book, how do they experience that?” Everyone has a slightly different experience based on who they are and what they bring to their point of view within the story. You know, Murphy experiences the world very differently from Dresden, very differently from Dresden's brother Thomas, and so on. It's mostly just a matter of sitting down and thinking it out, and figuring out, “how do they experience this? What kind of spin can I put on it that's going to make it a fun part of the story?”Murphy mostly gets crap at work as fallout from her stuff, but I killed Dresden at the end of Changes, so everybody had to sort of look around and suddenly realize “oh my gosh! Somebody shot the sheriff.” Who's going to be the one who's going to step into his boots, and nobody can, so we've all got to.

PR: That's also one of the things that's really impressed me, is that, like, legitimately long-term bad things happen to people who are just doing their best and making decisions to help their friends, and they suffer for it, in significant, long-term ways. Now, and this is sort of the question that when someone springs it on me I kind of, “ugh, god,” but I am kind of curious: Do you think that that might reflect something of your own world-view?
JB: Ugh, god!
PR: Now, see? Isn't that an awful question? But I am kind of curious, because I find myself wondering, in my books, how much my world-view is sort of sneaking in there.
JB: To be honest, it probably does have something to do with it. It's not something that I consciously put in, but let me tell you, occasionally life will come along and brutally, senselessly, club you over the head with something. And it's not because of anything you're going to do, it's not always because of something you choose to do, many times it won't even be your fault, but it's going to happen. And learning to live, learning to get along, is not about learning to not get clubbed on the head, it's about learning to get back up off the ground again after you have been. That's always been a real strong theme with me, personally; whatever happens, you've got to take the punch and get up and keep  going.
PR: Harry is the “get back up” guy.
JB: He is. He is. And that was a very conscious choice in the beginning, too. I wanted a guy that I could beat up a lot. And it wasn't actually until about the fourth book in that a fan pointed out, “hey, you've done this, and this, and this, and this, and this, and he's taken all these injuries here. I'm a professional therapist, and he would take this much therapy to get back from this, and he would never recover from this..” and I'm like, “wow, you really have beaten him up a lot. You know, wizards must just be better at getting better than other people, I need to write that in. Hey, we'll tie that in with how long they live, and, okay, cool. That works. That's good.”

PR: I always think of that in terms of course correction. You get some feedback, or a Beta reader gives you...
JB: Absolutely.
PR: And then you're like, “oh, that's a really good point, I guess you can't have a million people living in a pre-industrial society, you know, everyone dies of dysentery.” So, how much of that do you tend to  engage in as the series goes on, because you have a story and a story and a story, whereas I tend to do a huge block of story, and then there's a three-year gap, how much course direction would you say you do  with the overall story in between books based on feedback?
JB: Considerable. I mean, when someone has a good point they have a good point, and I'm not a perfect person, so when someone will point something like that out, I'll go, “okay, how can I take this and how can I use it as part of the story, and either keep it the way it is and have a good reason for it to be that way, or else spin it, or fix it, or have somebody realize something new about the world that hasn't been brought out before. I mean, that's kind of the creative challenge is kind of “how to make this cooler  and better?” and not, “how do I let this be a big hole in my story somewhere?” How to make it stronger, instead of less.
PR: And I think one of the great strengths of your writing is the reasonableness of it. Because sometimes you can tell somebody's patching a plot-hole, and it's just like they're putting a poster over the hole in the wall, but when you present one of these explanations, it's so smooth, and it makes such good, rational sense, that it seems like you built it in from the very beginning.
JB: Yes! Oh, I did. All of it. Word for word, I've got it all laid out. On a scroll.

PR: How often do you check your own Amazon rank?
JB: A couple times a week. It used to be more often. Less now.

PR: How many copies of your own books do you have in your house?
JB: I've got a... not quite a walk-in closet, but one of the double-door closets... that's just kind of stacked up with books.
PR: Really?
JB: Yeah, yeah, they're just basically waiting there to help burn my house down. I try to give them away whenever I can.
PR: Does it tend to accumulate?
JB: They do, they do. They add up.

PR: Do you have a vanity shelf?
JB: Yes, I do!
PR: There we go.
JB: Actually Shannon, my wife, the house that we're in right now, she actually got to design much of it, and she actually built these big shelves in the front room where I could put all my books up, and she gets one copy of every book as soon as it comes in and puts it up on that shelf.
PR: I'm so glad I'm not the only one! Although with all of the books, and all the foreign translations, that's got to be...
JB: It's getting to be a big shelf, yeah.

PR: Favourite authors?
JB: This is always that question where I think, “oh! I should have said so-and-so,” later on.
PR: Yeah.
JB: The late Robert B. Parker is one of my absolute favorite authors, Glen Cook, his Black Company books and his Garrett books I just love, The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon, the Honor Herrington series by David Weber. Uh... y'all, naturally. Brandon Sanderson, I've really just been tearing into his work lately, which is just so much fun. I think he comes from that same, you know, “I really wanted to write for The Avengers,” sensibility at some point in his past, so when we're doing the magic, we have an unlimited special-effects budget. Hooyah! These guys are more like superheros than wizards. So I love his stuff as well.
PR: And Sanderson does the same thing that you're very good at, where he has this book where everyone's fielding these huge armies. Have you read The Way of Kings?
JB: Yeah, I'm in the middle of it right now. It's sitting in my hotel room, so...
PR: I won't give any plot-stuff away, but I mean there are these constant wars, these huge armies on the field, and if you're a certain sort of geek, you're like, “you can't maintain an army of a hundred-thousand people, with all the camp followers. It's just logically impossible because of the amount of supplies that need to be...
JB: But then he'll write in, “but you can if you can make food out of rocks! Poof!”
PR: And I'm like, “well, there you go. Thank you for being rational about this.” Uh, along those lines,  because, like I said, you write such great action, and it's not just action for the sake of action, it always moves the plot, and it makes the books such quick reads, and such good page-turners.

When you're reading other authors, what do you see? What authors do you read, even if it's not that the entire book is your favourite, but you see them doing something, and you're like, “I wish I could do that, I just don't have it in me.”

JB: The very best authors that I read are the ones that make me forget that I'm a professional story-teller. When I'm in the middle of the story, I don't have time to be noticing all the things that they're doing, you know, and going, “oh, that's a nice touch,” because I'm so busy going, “let me get into this and see what's going on next”, and being there in that world. It's one of the reasons that I like your world so much. When I am noticing these things, when I stop and go back through and re-read, which is what you have to do after, the first time you read you have fun, then I'll always stop at all the points that I thought really really grabbed me emotionally, and I'll try to say “now, why did this have me grabbing the book and ready to throw it across the room I was so upset? Or why was I laughing so hard at this passage? Why did this bring me to the edge of tears?” and I'll try to stop and figure that out and “how do they do that? Can I steal that?”
PR: Yes!
JB: Because, as a writer, that's what you do. That's the highest compliment as a writer is when another writer looks and you and goes, “oh, I wish I'd done that one! Can I steal that from you?”
PR: Absolutely. Uh, thank you so much, it's been such a treat for me, and I hope to see you around at cons in the future.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 07:19:39 PM by Ziggelly »

Offline Ziggelly

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
SDCC - Jim Butcher Interviews Patrick Rothfuss
« Reply #145 on: August 21, 2011, 07:03:58 PM »
Jim Butcher Interviews Patrick Rothfuss (SDCC, 2011)
Dictated by: Ziggelly

JB: Hi, I'm Jim Butcher, I'm here at San Diego Comic Con at the SUVUDU booth, and I'm going to be talking to author Patrick Rothfuss. Hello, Pat. Uh, I hate this man. He's extremely skilled, and he's very good at all kinds of things that I struggle to master, or haven't been able to. So we'll start there, Pat, for how much age we've got.
PR: That's a good place to start.

JB: In your writing, one of the strengths that I really feel is something that you very very well is that you have this ability to shift into this lyrical, very poetic, style of writing, which is something that remains beyond me, and more than likely ever shall. And yet you have also the ability to shift gears and  go to a very solid, very gritty, very pulpy style of action when need be.  How do you decide when is the right time for the one or the other?
PR: With me, the process is, I'm very heavy into revision, and I think that gives me the freedom to take bigger risks than people who are, say, very good at meeting their deadlines, which is one of the skills that you possess that I kind of envy...
JB: *looks down at his shirt, which says 'GO AWAY: I Have A Deadline”* I'll get you a shirt.
PR: Yeah, I would need a whole outfit. But, one of the things that is dangerous when you get arty with the language is it's really potentially going to turn people off. But at the same time, if you can do it,  then some people will love you for that just by itself. So I usually take all the risks in the draft, and I kind of free myself up to go ahead and overdue it a little bit, and then I go back through and I look at it really hard and I go, “Am I just wanking around here? Am I just, like, trying to play some sort of  game and impress myself?”And then, more importantly, I get a bunch of feedback from Beta readers, and if I'm really anxious about a part because I think it's too self-indulgent, after they read it, I'll go through it with them, and I'm like “right here. Does this make me a complete tosser?” and sometimes they'll go, “yeah, that's a little... you know... you're dicking around there.”, and I go “okay, good,” and I kind of get that in my head, but sometimes people will go, “oh, no, that's one of my favorite parts!” , and then I feel a little bit better about maybe leaving it in.

I know you also have a lot of Beta readers that you use. Roughly how many Betas do you get reading?
JB: I've got about a dozen people. Thirteen? Oh, that's a good number, thirteen. Who are kind of reading along on a chapter-by-chapter basis, which is really valuable, because they'll be like “here, you missed this point,” and I'll go, “oh, let me fix that right now,” before we get any further into the story
PR: Wow!
JB: What about you?
PR: For me, I almost always have a draft, and then I give them the draft, usually on paper, with a red pen, and then they bounce it back to me with little notes, and some people are just really good at catching, like, grammatical stuff, and some people, they're historians, they go, “well, you know, rubber wasn't vulcanized until the early 1900's.” You know, they're just geeks from various flavors, and they point out stuff about, they go, “owls don't build nests.” Oh, well good, I don't screw that up now. But some people, my favourite Betas to come back, are full of, like, peanut-gallery comments that show the reader's mental process as they go through the book, and my favourite, like, I almost want to frame it, except my manuscript copies are too thick, it was, uh, a husband and wife who I've known since college, and they go through, and they read it together, and on every page, in the margins, there's comments, where it's almost like an MSD3K version of my book, and sometimes they're like, “oh, I hate him so much!” and then sometimes they'll disagree with each other in the margins, they'll  comment on each other's comments, and, first off, it's really fun to read, and second off, it really lets me know exactly how they feel during the reading of a scene, as opposed to them just saying 'oh, you need a comment here,' while pointing out potential problems. And if they're feeling sad there, I didn't mean that, I need to fix that, or, if I'm not getting a response here, then maybe I should do something. So, yeah, and I do that like a hundred times, I've got like a hundred Beta readers, but I give them a whole manuscript at a time, and then I get it back and I fix it, and then I sent out the new Beta to new readers, so I get kind of a virtual read of it.

Do you end up, after you get a draft solid, you have Betas to read a draft, and then get back to you?
JB: Yeah, there usually are a couple of people who will do that.
PR: Okay. And is that all before you send it to the editor, or is the editor kind of, in all the process, she's right at the end?
JB: It's all before it goes to the editor. My philosophy has always been that I want to create as little work for my editor as possible. It makes her happy with me, and she'll take me out to dinner and stuff.
PR: Yeah. Save her for the heavy-hitting stuff.

JB: Alright, so. For folks who are not necessarily into the writing industry, tell me what is a fairly typical “I got a few things done today” writing day like?
PR: Oh, boy. A good writing day, I sleep myself out, that means I don't wake up by, like, alarm, or noise or something like that, so I actually wake up and I'm full of sleep. And that could be literally any time of the day, depending on what my schedule is like. I'm not diurnal or nocturnal at this point, I have a rolling, bizarre sleep schedule. So I wake up, hang out with my girlfriend and my baby, and after they're sick of me, I probably do some e-mail, at home, because I have to stay on top of that or it's going to bury me, and then I go over to the workhouse. I was not getting enough done on the book for years, and I realized that part of it was the fact that the internet was always there. You know, when you're writing, typing along, and you stop sometimes, and you go “what's that word?” or go, “what would his response be?” or, “how can I describe that facial expression?”, and mentally you have to kind of really think about that, even if it's just for three seconds, but with the internet always there, and facebook always there, sometimes, when I would pause, I'd be like, “I wonder if somebody sent me a new e-mail,” or “maybe somebody's posted on my wall on facebook.”
JB: “Somebody's mentioned me on Twitter.”
PR: I haven't done Twitter yet, thank god. And what happened once was, my cable modem broke, and so I said, “okay, great, I'm going to write today anyway”, and so I was writing, and I would get to those places, and then I'd start to think... and then I'd go, “Oh, I can't. Oh, I can't.” And it's like when the power goes off in your house, and you spend, like, the next three hours flipping switches uselessly, and you don't realize how instinctual it's become, I caught myself about fifty times about to hop away from the book to do something else, and that's when I realized that that was a real problem, because when I was being my most productive was back before I had internet in my house. So I actually went out and bought a workspace that has no internet on it, I have no phone in that house, people don't stop by, no one is allowed to go in my writing room, because you stay the fuck out of my space.
JB: Okay, so I'm not the only territorial writer in the world. Grr! Get out of my room!
PR: Sarah came over to the workhouse once, and, you know, the reason we got a whole house is because property is really cheap in central Wisconsin, and we use a lot of the part for charity, so it's just the upstairs office that's mine. Sarah came over for a visit, and this was right when I bought it, she had the baby, and she goes, “oh, I need to change him, can I go upstairs and use...” and I go, “No!” and then she just sort of swelled up, and I'm like, “honey, no, you can't go in there,” because I love Sarah, but she is like the internet, except instead of me going to the internet...
JB: This is being taped, right?
PR: I know. She knows. She is, like, around the house, doing whatever, and she thinks, “oh, there's something I want to tell Pat,” or, you know, “oh, I want to give him a kiss.” For some reason she loves me, it doesn't make any sense. And she'll repress maybe nineteen out of twenty of those impulses, but even that one out of twenty, that means she comes in maybe two or three times an hour...
JB: I know what you mean, yeah.
PR: And it was a real stress on our relationship, 'cause sometimes it's fine, and sometimes, “yeah, I was just playing a game”, or “yeah, I was on my e-mail,” but if she interrupts me while I'm writing, then I start to almost resent her presence, and it was not healthy.
JB: Yeah, it's “Dad, I love you,” this, and “Honey, you should eat,” that. You can't work in that environment!
PR: Exactly. I need to be in my cave.
JB: I feel so much better now. Thank you.
PR: I got distracted on your actual question. And then I write for... eight hours. I have a cup of tea, and I don't even necessarily eat at that time. If I'm under a deadline, or going really well, or trying to push, then I'll do it for twelve hours. And that might be, like, you're blazing a trail, and actually writing draft and new material, or it might be going through Betas, or it might be going through, like, an extensive rolling checklist of potential problems that I need to resolve. That would be a good day's writing. Then I go home in time to still see my baby before he goes to sleep. That would be a perfect writing day, right there.

JB: Okay.
*Brief, somewhat awkward silence*
I should probably come up with another question. Alright. When it comes to research. Research is a lot of things that writers will have to do, depending on what genre you're writing and the story you're telling, there's a lot of things to focus, or when you're writing a kind of an epic fantasy, in an alternate fantasy world, what kind of research do you find yourself engaging in, in a place where you can just make stuff up?

PR: I don't think I do a lot of research like most other people do, because I think the majority of people, like, intelligent, together, people, they do, “I'm going to write a book where somebody goes on a ship”, and so they get books about seafaring, and the Renaissance, and they figure out, like, the rigging, and all of this stuff, and how whatever works. And I don't do that, I don't pre-research stuff. Like, you know, music is a big part of the books, but I didn't, like, go out and try to figure out what it was like to be a musician, and read books about musicians, or Baroque luting, or whatever.  As a result, I think, in some ways it works to my advantage, because if you go out and research for three months about Renaissance seafaring, and you get all this information, you feel kind of like you have to use it, or you've wasted your time, and that means that you suddenly have the danger of trying to put all this information in a book, because you're proud that you know it, as opposed to it being in service to the story. I'm not saying that everyone who does this type of research does this, I just think that it's a danger. And sometimes, I'll run into it, and I'm like 'oh! Either this person is an enthusiast in this area, or they'd done a bunch of research and it's coming out of them a little too heavy for the needs of the story. As opposed to me, if you don't know much about something, first off you can't put too much in, second off, when you explain it to somebody else who doesn't know anything about it, you can't talk down to them. So, you know, right now, if I was to talk to you about seafaring in the Renaissance, I don't really know all that much about it, other than what I've gleamed from history classes and a general smattering of eclectic knowledge. So we talk about it, and I'm able to express it in a way that makes sense to another ignorant person, and I don't use terms like, “mizzon-mast” or “(?)”, whatever the hell, which is good because you haven't done three-months of research either, and you don't know what a mizzon-mast is, and I think that works to my advantage. Now the downside, of course, is that sometimes I make, like, real big assumptions that are, like, egregious mistakes, and sometimes, if a Beta reader doesn't catch me on those, they'll go really late in the process. Like, at one point, I'd been working on the book, honest to god, for, like, twelve years, and somebody, a friend, read the book and he came back and he went, “you know, lutes traditionally have fourteen strings. And they're strung in courses, so it's two strings tuned to the same note, and so, if you broke a string, it actually doesn't matter, because you would still have that same note.” And I just went cold, because at that point, the book was about six, seven months away from being published, and I would have looked like a total ass to anyone who knows anything about Renaissance music. And so I had to go in and do that course correction, because I had not done the initial research. So, I approach it a little bit differently, and then after I've written stuff, then I research to fill in holes in my knowledge, for specific information. That's how I handle it, for the most part.

JB: Okay. Character creation. When you're getting a character together, where do you start from, in terms of creating this person?
PR: A lot of people ask me “do you base your characters on people you know in real life?” and for me, I always perceive the underlying question is I have written a story in which I have based all of the characters on cool people I know in real life, and it's okay for me to do that, right? That's the subtext that I perceive in that question, it may or may not be true. And so I always say, “no.” In my experience it doesn't work well because it's sort of like... what was that celebrity reality show where they took all these people and they put 'em in a house?
JB: Yeah, okay, right.
PR: It didn't work well. It was a train-wreck. Because these people have nothing to do with each other. That's not a story, it's like a mess of personality. More importantly, if you go, 'oh! Brad Pitt is really cool!”, and so you try to put Brad Pitt in your story, with a different name and a mustache so he looks different, it doesn't work because you don't know how Brad Pitt thinks, so that you can't do what Brad Pitt would do, that really makes him cool. And so, you want to steal that coolness for your book, but it doesn't work. And so I say “no, people aren't based off this,” but, sometimes I do, but instead of trying to take the whole person, I take like a tiny, tiny, tiny speck of a person. Like, a particular aspect of their personality. Not even anything as big as... like, they're gregarious, or anything like that. It's just a little  vocal tick, maybe it's a love of a particular thing, and it's almost like a seed crystal, and the character, like, coalesces around that as I build the rest of it. And at the end of it, if you knew who I stole that piece from, they would look nothing like this final character, but I think that it does help to have something real that you use kind of as the seed, that the character grows out of.
JB: A small part of their soul.
PR: Exactly. I steal just a piece, and then it gives some sort of mythic weight to the character until they get that kind of spark of life on their own, and then they kind of take off. That I've said succeed, but not with trying to steal a whole character.
JB: You heard it here. Patrick Rothfuss, stealing tiny pieces of your soul.
PR: Yeah, so be careful when you come see me at a Con. I will rip it right out of you. *Both laugh.* That sounds awful.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 07:27:28 PM by Ziggelly »

Offline thelordbeans

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 21, 2011, 07:46:24 PM »
Anyone working on DC signing Q&A? Because I could try my hand at transcribing it

Edit: this sounds really familiar. Has somebody already transcribed it?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 08:10:42 PM by thelordbeans »
<3 Butters+Andi / Molly+Carlos / Harry+Kumori
<3 Here's to hoping that Jim will name one of his novels "Free Rain" (Rein/Reign)
<3 Tiny... but FIERCE!
<3 I flexed the fingers of my still-scarred left hand and my mildly tingling right hand. “I’m more worried about all the things I’ll never be rid of.

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
« Reply #147 on: August 21, 2011, 08:09:27 PM »
Got someone on it yesterday.  Thanks, though!  Serack, this is my official "Someone's working on it" post. :D

Offline thelordbeans

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 21, 2011, 08:11:39 PM »
Got someone on it yesterday.  Thanks, though!  Serack, this is my official "Someone's working on it" post. :D

Oh. Well throw me something some time when you guys need the help
<3 Butters+Andi / Molly+Carlos / Harry+Kumori
<3 Here's to hoping that Jim will name one of his novels "Free Rain" (Rein/Reign)
<3 Tiny... but FIERCE!
<3 I flexed the fingers of my still-scarred left hand and my mildly tingling right hand. “I’m more worried about all the things I’ll never be rid of.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 21, 2011, 09:57:54 PM »
Oh. Well throw me something some time when you guys need the help

Check the first post of this topic to see what needs voluntiers.  I've been keeping it pretty up to date lately, so if it doesn't have a line through it or an astrisk next to it, it needs work.

Thanks for offering.

Edit, for Ghost Story release WoJ sources that are currently available on the internet it looks like the Kansas City signing is the only one that is not already either done, or pledged to be done by someone (someone has already done one segment of that one, but didn't pledge to do any others).  Now that someone gave me advice on how to post them on youtube, I will be posting the bits I have of the Bevercreek and Boston signing as soon as I get the chance, and then those will need transcriptions.

Please encourage them to post their work here, this way I won't have to track it down :)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2011, 10:03:13 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation