Author Topic: WoJ transcription help needed + mention new WoJ's here  (Read 139457 times)

Offline derek

• Participant
  • Hail Eris
    • View Profile
Slice of SciFi
« Reply #45 on: January 20, 2011, 10:48:39 AM »
Dictation by Derek

Slice of SciFi Slice of SciFi

[Geek Speak This Week segment - start 06:49]

Brian Brown:  And welcome to this week's Geek Speak.  I'm Brian Brown.

Michael R. Mennenga:   And I'm Michael R. Mennenga.

Brian Brown:  And we have Jim Butcher with us, guys.  Can you believe it?

Michael R. Mennenga:   Yeah.  Woo.  

Brian Brown:  We kidnapped him.

Michael R. Mennenga:   Yeah, we did.

Brian Brown:  Well, not really.

Michael R. Mennenga:   He's tied up.

Jim Butcher:  (mouths Help Me)

Brian Brown:  Well, we're going to talk to Jim about his new comic --

(laughter)

Brian Brown:  We're going to talk about his new comic book that's coming out.  So you're doing a Harry Dresden comic book?

Jim Butcher:  Yes, yes.  The Dresden Files are being adapted to graphic novel form by the Dabel Brothers.  They're going to be distributed through Random House.  And they've asked me to do some original story for them along the way.

Brian Brown:  Cool.  So this will take place before the books?

Jim Butcher:  Yeah.  The first story is a four issue story that's set right before the events of Storm Front.

Brian Brown:  Okay.

Jim Butcher:  And it was a lot of fun.  I got to go work on them.  I got to vet the art.  I got the write the script.  So, it was a whole lot of participation on my part this time, which I really enjoy.

Brian Brown:  So, are they going to continue on past this one, this little set?

Jim Butcher:  Yeah.  Yeah, as soon as they get done with the first four issue piece, then they'll putting out the adapted novel.  And they're going to be doing that for fourteen to eighteen issues per novel is what they said, and I think they're going to try and sucker me into writing original stuff between each of the main books.

Michael R. Mennenga:   Now this comic book writing thing is a whole different animal, isn't it?

Jim Butcher:  Yeah, yeah.  It's much different from a novel.  I know that, you know, it's often said that a picture is worth a thousand words.  Well, in a comic book there's between one and six pictures on every page and I've got to write the thousand words.  So, it was kind of a challenge but I'm getting used to it now and it seems to be working out fine.

Brian Brown:  Wow, that's really cool.  So, are you going to do other books into comic books, maybe, or novels, graphic novels?

Jim Butcher:  Who knows.  Yeah, you can't say comic books anymore.j;

Michael R. Mennenga:   Yeah, comic books will get you beat up at the the Comic Con.

Brian Brown:  Can't say comic books anymore...graphic novels.

Jim Butcher:  That's right.  They are graphic novels.  I don't know.  I would like to.  I know that The Codex Alera, in my head, it's an anime cartoon, anyway, so it would fit as comic book.  It would fit pretty well.

Michael R. Mennenga:   Now, Codex Alera.  That is the Pokemon versus what?

Jim Butcher:  Yeah, Pokemon meets lost Roman legion was the initial idea that that came from.  There's a whole story behind it.  Ask me, I'll tell you sometime.

Michael R. Mennenga:   That just makes my brain hurt anyway, so....

(laughter)

Brian Brown:  Well, I think we've tried your patience enough today.

Michael R. Mennenga:   Exactly.

Brian Brown:  So, thank you very much for coming and talking with us for a little while and just blabbing about stuff in general.  

Jim Butcher:  It's no problem.

Michael R. Mennenga:   Well, that'll do it for this episode.  Thanks so much for tuning in.  If you like what we do, if you hate what we do...of course, vote.  It helps.  We appreciate your comments and your feedback.  See you all next week.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 01:19:32 PM by derek »

Offline derek

• Participant
  • Hail Eris
    • View Profile
2008 Tor.com Interview
« Reply #46 on: January 20, 2011, 11:53:31 AM »
Dictation by Derek

2008 Tor.com Interview

Interviewer:  The soulgaze in The Dresden Files, where'd you come up with the idea for the soulgaze?

Jim Butcher:  Oh, honestly, I don't know.  That was something that I just, I wrote and I went, 'Hey, that's kind of a neat thing to add in.  I think I'll keep it.'

Interviewer:  And for the people who don't know what the soulgaze is, do you mind just filling them in?

Jim Butcher:  The soulgaze is when a wizard looks into your eyes, the wizard literally -- your eyes become the windows to your soul.  The wizard gets to look upon you as who you truly are as a person.  Every wizard sees them a little bit differently, just because everybody's a person, so everybody sees everybody else a little differently.  But for Harry, when he looks in somebody's eyes, he gets to see in some sort of symbology the kind of person they truly are.  So, and then he's got to -- well, then he's got to work on interpreting that, but it generally gives him a pretty good idea of who he's dealing with when he does that.  You know, other wizards, they kind of have a different -- they get a different special effects budget for it, but they get much the same effect.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 01:21:12 PM by derek »

Offline derek

• Participant
  • Hail Eris
    • View Profile
2009 Jim telling story about his dog in Chicago
« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2011, 12:22:20 PM »
Dictation by Derek

2009 Jim telling story about his dog in Chicago

Jim Butcher:  Okay, she's figuring out what we've got going here, but I can tell about the story of how my Bichon saved my son from a bear if you like.

We used to live in rural Pennsylvania, and my kid slept in a bedroom on the ground floor.  And one winter, apparently, there was an issue -- the dog had gotten me up in the middle of the night a couple of times for no reason.  

And so, one night he had gotten me up in the middle of the night -- one night he'd gotten me up in the middle of the night and -- all upset -- led me downstairs, and I find the kid down there with 102 fever, shaking and he's kicked all of his covers off.  And I'm like, 'Okay, good dog!  That's a very dog thing to do.  That's very Lassie of you.  Well done.'  And got the kid covered up, and the dog curled up with him and went to sleep, and there's no problem.  The dog always slept with the kid.

Well, a couple nights later, he shows up again having gotten over a baby gate through a shut door.  I don't know how.  Only, he's upset again.  I go down again and the kid's fine.  

And so the dog walks over to the kitchen door, which is right opposite the kid's room, and whining and making noise until I walk over there with him.  And then he starts walking down the house, and every 10 feet or so he'll stop and whine until I come up with him.  So he walks up and down, like, twice doing this and I'm, like, 'Okay, dog, you're insane.'  You know, he does that then curls up and goes to sleep.  I'm, like, 'Dog, you are crazy,' and I went back to bed.

And the next day I was out walking my kid out to the bus stop and there was a fresh snow on ground and bear tracks on the steps leading up to the house where the bear had been standing looking in the glass window wondering if there was any food in there.  And then the tracks went all the way around the house twice, and the dog had made me keep pace with bear inside the house so that the bear would know that I knew it was there.

I mean, now granted, that is not sailing into combat with the bear, but that was using his noggin.  "Good dog!"  

But that's how a Bichon Frise saved my son from a bear.

[inaudible question]

Jim Butcher:  Well, yeah, but it all happens at my expense, so....

[00:02:00 end of story, host awarding prizes]
« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 01:22:02 PM by derek »

Offline derek

• Participant
  • Hail Eris
    • View Profile
2009 Barnes & Noble Interview
« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2011, 04:43:06 PM »
Dictation by Derek

2009 Barnes & Noble Interview

Steve Bertrand:  It's Meet the Writers on barnesandnoble.com, I'm Steve Bertrand.  So, how about that Harry Dresden?  He's back in Turn Coat.  Jim Butcher, the author of a pretty interesting character and some fascinating stories, and he joins us now.  Jim Butcher, welcome.

Jim Butcher:  Thank you.

Steve Bertrand:  I want to talk about this guy, Dresden, but let's start with geography.  You live in Missouri, right?  Is it Independence, Missouri?

Jim Butcher:  Independence, Missouri, first --

Steve Bertrand:  Little Harry Truman in you?

Jim Butcher:  Yeah, I went to Truman High School, in fact.

Steve Bertrand:  Does geography sort of inform at all what you write or the way you write?

Jim Butcher:  Yeah, I mean, generally speaking, yeah.  I started off my reading career as a fantasy fan.  And if you read a lot of fantasy, you got to have the map to go along with it, and I've been sadly disappointing my own fans by not including a map in my fantasy series.  But, yeah, I mean, especially when I get to looking right here around Chicago, I will pick a lot of my settings based upon geography.

Steve Bertrand:  Dresden lives in Chicago?

Jim Butcher:  Indeed he does.

Steve Bertrand:  How did you figure on that?

Jim Butcher:  My writing teacher made me pick Chicago instead of Kansas City.

Steve Bertrand:  Is that right?

Jim Butcher:  Yeah.  The first book was originally a class project.  It was originally set in Kansas City, and she looked at it and said, 'Well, this is a genre fiction novel writing class and you are already walking close enough to Laurel Hamilton's toes that you don't need to set your book in Missouri, too.'

Steve Bertrand:  I see.  More geography.

Jim Butcher:  Yeah.  So, she said, 'Pick somewhere else.'  And I said, 'Where?'  And she said, 'Anywhere, it doesn't matter.'  And there was a globe on her desk and there were only four American cities marked on the globe.  And I didn't want to do New York because Spiderman's got that all sewn up.  And I didn't want to do D.C. because then you would have to write politics and that gets rid of half of your audience right away.  And then the other city was Los Angeles and I didn't want to write about Los Angeles, it's a Hollywood thing.  So, Chicago was left.  I said, 'How about Chicago?' and she said, 'Yeah, that'll be fine.'  So, I lucked into picking Chicago.

Steve Bertrand:  And so here we are in Chicago, and as I read it, I recognize different spots and neighborhoods and all of that.  But how much research do you do into the location when it comes to writing the story?  Because the story's not so much about location.

Jim Butcher:  Right.  The story itself isn't so much about it, but it does provide the backdrop for when I want to pick a good scene.  And the answer is I do more research every book.  Especially as I pick up more readers in Chicago and I get in touch with them.  There have been several area type message boards where fans have gotten together and said, 'Hey, can this under city thing that Jim is proposing in his books -- it's complete crap, isn't it?'  And they went out and researched it, they're like, 'Actually, no, not complete.  There's actually all of these parts of the city where you can go down under a manhole and there's old city Chicago there.'  But, yeah, there's all kinds of cool tunnels under the city and I just kind of proposed that where the actual, real tunnels stop, that's where the freaky, monster filled underworld starts, so....

Steve Bertrand:  You mentioned New York City and Spiderman.  Compare and contrast -- let me give you an essay question -- compare and contrast Peter Parker to Harry Dresden.

Jim Butcher:  Oh, Peter Parker actually gets to have flash moments of cool, at least he's got the Spiderman costume he can get into.  But Peter Parker and Harry Dresden are very similar because Peter Parker was one of the characters who inspired me when I was putting Harry Dresden together, one of the main characters, in fact.  Poor Pete, you know, all the superheroes would do something big in New York, and after it was all over, everybody would be flying home in their jets, or their fantastic cars or under their own power.  And poor Peter, he doesn't have a costume made out of unstable molecules.  He's got the one he made at home.  And it's all shredded and he's got a paper bag over his head to maintain his secret identity.  And he's like, 'Can somebody loan me cab fare so I can get back home?'  'Oh, I'll give you a ride.'  'I kind of have this secret identity where I want it to be secret, so I don't want your ride.'  And the Invisible Woman would be like, 'Oh, Reed, give him cab fare.'  And that's the kind of down on his luck but yet not stopping what he's doing kind of thing that I wanted to do with Dresden.

Steve Bertrand:  Endearing, right?  They're endearing.

Jim Butcher:  Yeah, yeah.  They're the kind of guys who -- it's, like, you know, I'd would ask him over to my place for a barbecue because he's funny and nice.  A lot of heroes are the kind of people you just wouldn't want to associate with in your actual life.

Steve Bertrand:  Right.

Jim Butcher:  I also wanted Dresden to be the kind of guy that's like, 'Hey, you want to go to a ball game?'  'Yeah.'  I wanted him to be that kind of character.

Steve Bertrand:  What's his relationship with women?

Jim Butcher:  Unfortunate, mostly.  My general writing theory for Dresden is never give him a break, so even if he does get the girl for a bit, there's almost always something that goes terribly wrong at some point in his life.

Steve Bertrand:  But he seems to be very comfortable with women.

Jim Butcher:  More or less...

Steve Bertrand:  Don't you -- I mean, I think so.  

Jim Butcher:  Yeah, yeah, I think he is in some ways, in some ways he's still just kind of an awkward nerd.  It kind of depends.  If it's some supernaturally hot, sexy chick who can kill you, literally kill you with a kiss, he's comfortable with that.  He knows how to deal with that.  If it's an actual girl who's hanging out around him, someone like Lt. Murphy from the Chicago P.D., that gets a little bit more awkward for him.

Steve Bertrand:  So, maybe it's almost the inverse of what you would expect, what you would think would be typical.  Right?

Jim Butcher:  Yeah, he's much more comfortable with soul destroying things from beyond than he is --

Steve Bertrand:  I mean, I've never been with a woman who could kill me with a kiss, but I think I might be a little intimidated if I were.

Jim Butcher:  Yeah, yeah, exactly.  But, for Harry, the monsters, that's just what he does.  That's work week.

Steve Bertrand:  You were talking earlier about when you came up with Dresden, and it was in a class, right?

Jim Butcher:  Right.

Steve Bertrand:  And there's a story you've told, I'm trying to remember, but basically you kind of gave in.  And I don't know if this is about this story or not, but the teacher was saying, 'Do this and do this,' and you just thought it was the wrong thing and finally said, 'I'll prove it to you how it doesn't work.'  Tell me that.

Jim Butcher:  Well, I'd been getting very good advice from Debbie Chester for several years and I'd written several terrible novels.  And I wanted to prove to her -- she kept hammering on these same points over and over and I wanted to prove to her how wrong she was.  And I knew she was wrong because i have an English Literature Degree.  

Steve Bertrand:  And you've written four very unsuccessful novels at this point.

Jim Butcher:  Yes, whereas she had merely published forty novels.  And so one semester I just said, 'You know what, I'm just going to do everything you say.  I'm going to fill in all your papers.  I'm going to do all these little outlines, all these little worksheets before I get started, and you'll see what terrible stuff comes out of it.'  And that was when I wrote the first book of The Dresden Files.

Steve Bertrand:  Things have turned out for both of you, then.

Jim Butcher:  Yeah, yeah.

Steve Bertrand:  What was it like when you held a book that you'd published?

Jim Butcher:  It was like when you go to the amusement park and you get your picture taken, and then they put it on a gag headline newspaper.  When I first got the books, it was that exact feeling, like this was some sort of gag gift that I got from an amusement park somewhere.  It was very -- it was kind of an unreal thing.  It was like I was looking at it going, 'Well, I know this isn't actually real...' but it was.

Steve Bertrand:  Turns out it was.

Jim Butcher:  Yeah, as it turns out.

Steve Bertrand:  When did it sink in?

Jim Butcher:  I don't know that it has.

Steve Bertrand:  Really?

Jim Butcher:  Yeah, I mean --

Steve Bertrand:  I mean, you're an industry now, right?

Jim Butcher:  Uh, I guess, yeah.  I'm even a corporation.  I don't know how that happened, but at one point my wife came to me and told me, "We need to do this," and I said, "Okay."  So, now I'm a corporation.

Steve Bertrand:  So how do you keep all of the balls in the air and maintain your writing, as well?  I mean, it's all about writing, I suppose, but it seems to me like you'd be pulled in many different directions, too.  

Jim Butcher:  Yeah.  There's a whole bunch of the professional side of the business now that isn't writing that I've got to keep track of.  What I try and do is -- I have kind of an odd work schedule.  And when I'm awake during the day, I'll try and take care of the non-writing part of the business, and then after everybody goes to sleep, that's when I do the actual writing.  I start around ten o'clock.  You know, if you try and write during the day when there are other people in the house around, it's 'Honey, you need to eat something,' this and 'Dad, I love you,' that and you can't be expected to work under those conditions.

Steve Bertrand:  I want to talk to you about your dad, too, because -- and I've asked you this before, but it's really a great quote.  You said of your dad, "He was not really anyone who'd gone out and conquered worlds, but he was the sort of guy who would show up and if your world was shaking, he'd settle it down again."

Jim Butcher:  Yeah.

Steve Bertrand:  Which I think is a great thing for any dad to aspire to.  Right?  Tell me of his influence on you?

Jim Butcher:  My dad was the kind of guy who really didn't have a lot to say.  He never really had a lot to tell me about what kind of person I should be.  He was the kind of guy who would show me what kind of person I should be by being that way.  But he was the one in the family who everyone in the family would go to when they needed help, in the extended family, whoever it was.  When he retired, my sisters actually set up a parade in front of the house where we had three different marching bands, and fifty cars, and several squad cars from the local police force went by the house in a parade.  You know, they snuck in all these people in from out of town to do it.  And Dad wound up going out and dancing with the drum major from the Twenty Third Street Marching Cobras.  And he was, he was a solid man.  When I was sixteen, I went up into the attic.  And I was digging around in a box I hadn't seen before and I pull out this old army jacket.  I take it down to my dad and I'm like, 'Hey, whats this?  And what's this winged dagger patch on it and everything?'  And it turns out Dad was Signal Corps for Army Rangers during Korea, and I'd never known about it.  He was like, 'Yeah, here, let me show you.'  And he shows me how he was qualified on every infantry weapon that the Army had, on all the British infantry weapons and on the Russian infantry weapons.  'Yeah, I was the knife fighting and unarmed combat instructor for my platoon,' and I'd never even known he was in the service.  'And here's my picture of me meeting General Eisenhower,' and so on, he shows me all this stuff.  I'm just sitting here being amazed by it.  I mean, my dad was Rambo and I never knew.

Steve Bertrand:  And he just did it.  

Jim Butcher:  Yeah.  He'd never chatted about it or anything.

Steve Bertrand:  Does that have an impact on how you are as a dad or how you are as a writer?

Jim Butcher:  Oh, absolutely.  I mean, a lot of my characters -- Dad was the kind of guy that showed me that the people who are really formidable and really dangerous have no need to talk about it.  They're the kind of folks who are quiet.  They don't need to get out and brag.  And in the Dresden Files, you can usually tell the really tough characters, because they're the ones who don't need to puff out their chests.  They don't need to come on strong.  They're just doing whatever they're doing.  So, that's been a very good effect for The Dresden Files, for me, for being able to convey 'This is somebody who's truly dangerous and competent.'

Steve Bertrand:  Well, it's all worked out pretty well for you.

Jim Butcher:  Yeah, yeah.  I don't know how that happened.

Steve Bertrand:  As you continue to prove your teacher wrong, year after year after year, book after book after book.

Jim Butcher:  Evidently.  I actually wrote her a letter that says -- for her students, to hand out, that says, "Dear students,  Shut up and do what Debbie tells you to do.  If somebody had told me that, I would have saved about five years of breaking into the industry, so let me do you a favor."

Steve Bertrand:  Yeah, but maybe that suffering made you better in another way.

Jim Butcher:  Oh, more than likely it did.  I probably needed to have some sense knocked into me.

Steve Bertrand:  The latest book is Turn Coat.  Jim Butcher, it was nice to talk to you.

Jim Butcher:  Alright, thank you.

Steve Bertrand:  I'm Steve Bertrand.  This is Meet the Writers on barnesandnoble.com.  
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 04:37:24 AM by derek »

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
2010 DragonCon Question

Interviewer: How early do you plan scenes for future books? For instance, in Summer Knight Harry earns the leaf from the Summer Court and it becomes pivotal in Small Changes -- uh, Small Favor. How far ahead did you know what he's going to do with, for instance, that leaf?

Jim: I put stuff in Storm Front that won't come out until, like, the big trilogy at the end. I got, I planned a lot of stuff out way, way, way ahead of time because my teacher said I had to.

(applause, laughter)

Interviewer: I really appreciate that piece of your work, that part of your style, about how many loose threads do you have still hanging we don't know about?

Jim: How many what?

Interviewer: Loose threads waiting to be tied in later

Jim: Oh, heavens ... I can't really think of them as loose threads. I mean from where I'm sitting I'm kind of seeing, I know where it's going to go somewhere. I think we've got a good solid... pretty much we have all the pieces on the board right now, except for a couple that are going to be emerging because of the events of Changes. Which is going to be lots of fun. Or at least I'll have a great time. I hear different things from the reader end of things. There was actually a cartoon on the 'Net, you know, kind of a Net toon, that in one frame was showing this guy, ""leaves me alone, I'm getting to the very end of Changes" . And in the next frame you see a couple of girls, one of them's looking kind of odd, and her friend says "What?" And she's like "I just got this weird sensation ... it was as if thousands of nerds suddenly cried out".  

(laughter)

Jim: I know that was pretty hilarious. I'm sorry if anyone was bothered by the 'nerd' dig, I kind of own my nerd-dom.

(applause, laughter)

Offline derek

• Participant
  • Hail Eris
    • View Profile
I'll start work on 2010 Powells Books Signing Q&A is completed.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 08:36:15 PM by derek »

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
I'll start work on 2010 Powells Books Signing Q&A

Horray, that's a great one!  A big bite to chew on though.  Thanks for all your effort.  (I'm going to have to sit down and get that walking eye interview done like I keep promising myself...)
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline derek

• Participant
  • Hail Eris
    • View Profile
No worries. I don't know how quickly I'll get the whole thing done as we're expecting a couple hours of audio in tonight and I can only stand having headphones on for so many hours in a day, but it shouldn't take too long.

Offline derek

• Participant
  • Hail Eris
    • View Profile
Jim Butcher "Changes" Q&A - Powells Books 4/08/2010 Part 1 of 6
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2011, 09:01:59 PM »
Dictation by Derek

Jim Butcher "Changes" Q&A - Powells Books 4/08/2010 Part 1 of 6

[introduction]

Jim Butcher:  Okay, first of all, if anyone's seen my hair, if you could please call 1-800-Jim's-Do it would be appreciated.

Audience:  My son has it.

Audience:  Hey.

Jim Butcher:  Alright, we'll just do questions and answers, I guess, because that's kind of fun.  Hey, no way.  Completely bald, you're first.

Audience:  What are your thoughts on The Dresden Files RPG coming out in June?

Jim Butcher:  What are my thoughts on The Dresden Files RPG coming out in June?  That if I DM'd it, it would be too much like work.  And that if I played it, I would be a frickin' nightmare to any GM.  "No, it is that way and if necessary, I'll put it in the next book!"  Other than that, though, the guys who worked on it have done a really phenomenal job.  They really dug into it and worked their tails off, really unbelievably so.  So, it's gonna be -- finally, they are getting it done.  My friend Fred says -- he's the one who's producing it -- says, 'Yeah, we had no idea how big a project this was going to be.  In fact, we had to design three other games so that we could build up our company enough to get enough people onboard to actually ramp up to able to do this game.'  He's like, 'If I'd known that when I got started, I never would have done it.'  It's like that with me, with writing, if I'd known how long it would take.  But, it should be fairly cool.  I really like the rules system.  I don't think I'll ever get to play it, but I don't know, maybe I can just shave off the whiskers, and go bald one day, and not wear my glasses and show up anonymously at a con somewhere and play that way or something.  Who's next?

Audience:  So, with the books, it's been about a year between books-ish and that's reflected in the story.  Have you ever had like some huge leap forward planned?  Have you ever had a huge leap backwards?  Or is it pretty much going to be the next book's gonna be a year from --

Jim Butcher:  Okay.  I'll go.  What he's asking is the storyline has basically been about one book story year per real life year, am I going to keep doing that?  Am I going to start jumping back or forward? The answer is yes, I'm going to keep doing that because it works a little bit better on account of it just makes it easier to keep track of what year it is in the story.  And am I going to make any big leaps forward or backwards?  Well, there is a whole law of magic about messing with time.  And given that it's a Law of Magic, Dresden's going to have to break it eventually.  So, yeah, 'sort of' would be the proper answer to the question.  Yeah?

Audience:  What's coming out in November?

Jim Butcher:  What's coming out in November?  November is the short story collection with all the Dresden short -- not all the Dresden short stories, but most of them in it.  Plus, the novella that I wrote from Murphy's point of view called "Aftermath" that starts about 45 minutes after the end of Changes.  So, it was fun, although man, Murphy is an alien creature to me.  She really is.  But we wound up with a pretty good story, I think.  Yeah?

Audience:  So for those of us who just couldn't put it once we'd picked it up, what's coming next?

Jim Butcher:  For those -- what now?

Audience:  [inaudible]

Jim Butcher:  Oh, okay.  So what's coming next in the Dresden Files?  I'm not going to tell you that.  Come on, you've got to give me a break there.  Although, I will say that -- because we're trying not to spoiler people who haven't got to read the book yet -- I will say that my contract, they've paid me up through book 13, so I have to write at least one more.  And my kid leaves for college next fall, so...that's like another six years after that.  Man, I'm never gonna get to retire.

Audience:  I was just wondering about the titles of the books, how they're all two words and both words are always the same number of letters.  Why did you choose to do that?

Jim Butcher:  Okay.  He's asking about the titles of the books, why are the books always two words, same number of letters.  Answer to that was that I had noticed when I was in college and in my writing courses that all of the really successful, or most of the really successful serial P.I. novels had a naming scheme of some kind attached to them.  MacDonald's books, John MacDonald's books all had a color in the name.  A is Alibi, B is for Burglar, etc. with the Kinsey Millhone books.  It was the same way with several different authors that I looked at.  So, I said, 'I need a naming scheme,' and I was going to use puns because I thought that would be fun.  And so I was trying to get pun stuff set up and they didn't, they didn't like that.  The editors didn't like that at all.  So, the first book, I think the original name was Semiautomagic and then I said, 'Can we call it Abracadaver?' and they said, 'No, we can't.'  And I went through several different names and it finally ended up as Storm Front, which was only kind of vaguely a pun.  But they did it in these nice square little boxes with the title all being lined up.  And so I said, 'Well, hey, the next one was already going to be called Fool Moon, so that one will line up too.'  And so at that point, then I said, 'Okay, the only pattern I'm going to have here is where we line up these little boxes.  So, let's at least keep that.'  Until we got to this book, which is called Changes and totally breaks the pattern...presumably because there's going to be some changes. So...yes, ma'am?

Audience:  What's coming as far as the graphic novels and [inaudible]?

Jim Butcher:  Okay, two questions here.  She's cheating.  What's happening as far as the graphic novels and what did happen to my hair?  The graphic novels, they just sent me the sketches to approve for issue 7 of Storm Front, and I just read and approved the script for issue 8 of Storm Front.  So, I think they've got the first 4 issues together for part 1 of Storm Front and now they're going to do part 2.  And that's how it's going to progress is about 8 issues per novel, and then turning it into 2 graphic booklets because that's the way the industry works these days.  As far as my hair, I went to bed one night and it went out to fight crime, as it usually does, and it just never came back the next day.  So, I have to assume that somebody finally got to it.  No, the truth on that is is that I'm kinda carrying a theme through here, so, you know, there's been some changes.  Plus, sometimes you look at your life and there's all these big parts of it that you can't control.  And I might not be able to control my life, but I can control my hair.  So, yeah, and at this point, I just killed it.  Razed earth policy, right here.  Yeah, right here.

Audience:  Does the cat make it to the next book?

Jim Butcher:  Does the cat make it to the next book?  I'm not going to tell you that.  I'm just not.  Although, nah, Mister's just far too cool.  We really haven't run into anything that could kill Mister at this point.  Just absolute feline disdain would make him nearly invincible, so....  Back here, yes?

Audience:  Does Dresden actually have a cowboy hat?

Jim Butcher:  Does Dresden actually have a cowboy hat?  *shakes head* No.  I think I've actually made a comment about it a couple of times.  I think Murphy commented about it in one book and Dresden did in a short story.  I think he did in Changes, too.  'If only I had a hat, we could have saved the world.'  No, he doesn't have one, but the Sorcerer's Apprentice apparently does, and you know, he's got the hat.

Offline derek

• Participant
  • Hail Eris
    • View Profile
Jim Butcher "Changes" Q&A - Powells Books 4/08/2010 Part 2 of 6
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2011, 12:54:51 PM »
Dictation by Derek

Jim Butcher "Changes" Q&A - Powells Books 4/08/2010 Part 2 of 6

Audience:   You said that most of the short stories would be in this collection.  Which ones aren't?

Jim Butcher:   Which short stories are not in the collection?  Let me think.  One of them is called "Curses", and it's the short story -- it's more of a lighter one -- it's a short story about Harry getting hired by the Cubs to get the billy goat curse taken off the team.  And the other one is called -- I was really incensed that it wasn't in, we weren't going to be able to do it -- the other one's called "Even Hand".  It's a short story from the perspective of John Marcone, and it sort of shows you what he's doing behind the scenes.  And if you read the short story and then go read the scene in Changes, in Burger King, it has two totally different meanings.  I was so upset that I wasn't going to get to put that in the book.  As it is, I missed two of the short stories, and I know I told you guys I wanted them all together where you could get to all of them.  So, the only thing that I can do to still keep my word to you is to write a second collection of short stories.  So, I've got to write more of the things.  But, I'm going to do it because I said I would.

Audience:   Since you finished the Codex Alera series and you're working on this, are you going to work on other series at all?

Jim Butcher:   Okay, since I finished on Codex Alera, am I gonna be working on something else to take it's place?  Yes.  I'm sure.  (laughter)  I'm just not quite sure what, yet.  But, yeah, I would have too much time on my hands if I didn't.  So, I think what I'm planning on is kind of a post-apocalyptic fantasy thing that I'm going to write with my friend Cam Banks, because Cam is like one of the only guys I've ever known who could put up with me long enough to do that.  But it's sort of one of those the heroes went forth to face the dark lord and fulfill the prophecy and bravely did they stride in upon him, and he killed them all and the world was plunged into darkness.

Audience:   [inaudible]

Jim Butcher:   Yeah, for one. (laughter) That's exactly what it is.  Over here.

Audience:   How difficult was it to get the first book published?

Jim Butcher:   How difficult was it to get the first book published?  Well, I wrote my first book when I was nineteen, in 1990, and it was awful.  I wrote book two not too long after that, also terrible.  Book three, as well.  Terrible.  Book four, I'd decided to change things up and write kind of, sort of X-Files-y, paranormal thing, and that was also a dismal failure.  As was book five, which was a rewrite of book one, which hadn't been all that good to begin with.  So, eventually, though, I wrote -- I think it was the sixth or seventh book I wrote, which was Storm Front.  And I sent it off to an editor because I got a recommendation from my teacher, I had an introduction letter to Ginger Buchanan.  And it stayed there for three years.  So, I started thinking, 'Well, maybe I better not wait on that forever.'  You know, and so all in all, I finally got an agent in 1999, and it got sold about six months after that.  And so, basically, it was an overnight project.  It took me a real long time to get undumb enough to actually do a good job.  I'm not terribly bright some days, but.  At the very back, hand up.

Audience:   You're doing a short story from the point of view of Murphy, and you've done one from the point of view from Thomas.  Will we [inaudible] short stories be done from the point of view of some of the other characters.

Jim Butcher:   Um, maybe?  I haven't got that far yet.  Maybe.  Probably not from the point of view of anybody who's really clued into what's going on, though.  Or if i do, then the character will just be standing there going, 'I'm not going to tell you that.' (laughter)  'You're just going to have to trust me.  It was important that we do this.  Ha Ha.'  But we'll have to see.  Some of the characters I just couldn't do that with.  I couldn't do that from Mouse's point of view, for example, because he's so much cooler than everybody else.  (laughter)  

Audience:   [inaudible]

Jim Butcher:   Well, he's a dog, man.  Dogs are cool, just kind of intrinsically that way.  Right here.  Sitting down.  Just behind you, yeah.

Audience:   I really love the way you handle the fae, and I'm curious if we're ever going to meet Titania?

Jim Butcher:   Are we ever gonna get to meet Titania, Queen Titania, the Summer Queen?  Yes.  But probably, it's going to be awhile.  It might not be until the last three books.  She's heavy duty, so.  Over here.

Audience:   How many books are you planning to write?

Jim Butcher:   How many books am I planning to write?  The original plan -- actually, the events of Changes were originally, I originally had had them penciled in for book ten, but it's taken me a couple books longer to get there.  So, the original plan was for twenty books and a three book apocalyptic trilogy capstone ending *dunh duh duh dunh* with music by John Williams.  (laughter) But, we'll see.  We'll see if I'm still going to be able to get there by twenty.  It might actually wind up being twenty one or twenty two, something like that.  Not a whole enormous high number of books (laughter) but because I want the story to have, like, a beginning and an end, and for everybody to get to read them, so.  Oh, by the way, people coming through line tonight, please don't tell me, 'Just don't die.'  Okay?  (laughter) Because I think we can all rationally assume that that is sort of implied and you're just going to jinx it.  Right here, young man.

Audience:   What does your shirt say?

Jim Butcher:   What does my shirt say?  It is Latin for 'A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away'. (cheers) Or as close as Latin can come to saying that.  

Audience:   Are you thinking about selling the movie rights, or did the series take that out of you?

Jim Butcher:   Okay, did I ever think about selling the movie rights, or did the series take that out of me?  And the answer is: I already did sell the movie rights.  Lionsgate has them.  And they have them for another three years and five days, not that I'm keeping track.  And after that time, they revert back to me.  I doubt Lionsgate is going to do anything with it.  I can't imagine why they would.  As far as they're concerned, this was just the show that crashed on SciFi, so...we'll see what happens later, though.  Right here, sir.

Audience:   So, I'm on my second read through of the book.  Why do you hate Harry Dresden? (laughter)

Jim Butcher:   You've got it all wrong, man.  I love him.  I love him and I want him to succeed.  But for that to happen, he must have great pain (laughter)

Audience:   [inaudible] succeed admirably.

Jim Butcher:   Joss Whedon -- I read an interview about Joss Whedon where they were on the set of Buffy and they had just had to have Buffy do some heart wrenching scene for, like, the fifth time.  And Joss hadn't gotten quite what he wanted, so he asked Sarah to go do it again.  And she turned around and just kind of stared at him.  And she said, 'Joss, do you have any idea how difficult this is on me?  This is really bad.'  He puts his hand on her shoulder and says, 'Sarah, this show thrives upon your pain.'  (laughter) I look at that and just go, 'Mm.  Joss Whedon is my master, now.' (cheers)  Because he had something exactly right.  If Harry had a happy day, it would be boring.  It would be a terrible bore.  Let's go back over here, first.

Audience:   So, who plays Harry Dresden in this hypothetical movie?

Jim Butcher:   Who plays Harry Dresden in this hypothetical movie?  I don't know.  There's been all kinds of different people giving suggestions.  I always kind of liked Will Smith, just because he has the right attitude. (laughter)  But now he's gone to hit the gym and he's gotten all buff and stuff, now.  So, I don't know.  Right here.

Audience:   Why the frozen turkey?

Jim Butcher:   'K, hang on.  Why the frozen turkey?  Why NOT a frozen turkey?  That's the question I pose to you.  I had to kind of Looney Tunes something and I couldn't readily think of a way to get a safe up above the city.  A frozen turkey falling out of a plane, though.  Yeah.

Audience:   I was going to ask how often do you get writers block, and what do you do to get past it?

Jim Butcher:   I don't have writers block.  I have a mortgage.  (laughter) Honestly, writers block is for folks who don't have to have their stuff in on time, and I'm not one of those folks.  So, generally speaking, I really don't believe in writers block.  I don't really get writers block.  Sometimes I just really, really, really want to go play City of Heroes instead.  But, uh, really, it's one of those things that I believe is a point of personal discipline that you just have to sit down and go through it, and start writing until it works.  There are other people who say writers block is real.  Maybe they're right, but I disbelieve.  I roll to disbelieve.  Twenty!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 02:06:28 PM by derek »

Offline Fireball5485

• Participant
    • View Profile
I'm having issues following who's working on what... so do you have any that are as yet unclaimed?  I'd be happy to help out.

Offline derek

• Participant
  • Hail Eris
    • View Profile
Jim Butcher "Changes" Q&A - Powells Books 4/08/2010 Part 3 of 6
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2011, 02:03:21 PM »
Dictation by Derek

Jim Butcher "Changes" Q&A - Powells Books 4/08/2010 Part 3 of 6

Audience:  What's your take on the whole Amazon Kindle thing?

Jim Butcher:  What's my take on the whole Amazon Kindle thing?  This is my understanding of it.  Amazon said, 'Okay, we're going to have the book available for Kindle.  You can pre-order it.'  And then they started negotiating with Penguin for getting the rights to the book.  And Penguin had already sold electronic rights here, there and everywhere to other people.  And then a couple of days before the release, Amazon says, 'You're going to give it to us for a real, real low price, or we're not going to buy it.  And what's more, we're not going to buy any of your other spring stuff, either.'  And Penguin said, 'Alright.'  And that's my take on it. (laughter) Amazon tried to power play and it, they kind of bounced off without moving Penguin too much, so.  You can get the iBook version and there's some shareware now that converts iBook to Kindle format.  So, yeah, I'm just looking at Amazon going, 'Really?  Really?'  But I guess we'll have to see what happens.  At the very back in the blue shirt.

Audience:  When you first wrote Storm Front, did you have, like, this entire series somewhat planned out, or did it just kind of [inaudible]?

Jim Butcher:  When I first wrote Storm Front, did I have the entire series somewhat planned out?  Yes.  I did it for a project, it was a class project.  So, I kind of had -- well, the first couple of chapters I just wrote one night, and I said, 'Okay, maybe I'd better plan the book.'  And then as I was planning the book, I said, 'Maybe I'd better plan the world.'  And then when I was done with the world, I said, 'Maybe I'd better plan the time line if this is gonna be a series.'  And I did that, and it was one of those obsessive compulsive projects that went on for awhile.  But, yeah, I had to go back and write the first book, 'cause otherwise it was gonna be late and I had a grade card, so.  Yes, right here.

Jim Butcher:  Yes, the guy with the very short hair.

Audience:  Harry loves Star Wars and everything like that.  Is he a Brown Coat, too?

Jim Butcher:  Is Harry a Brown Coat, too?  Not so much, he never got to see Firefly because he watches TV by going to a park that's across from an electronics store, and watching the TVs that are in the window where they have the closed caption on -- because there's actually, I've actually gone to that store in Chicago and looked at it -- so, you know, he wanted to go see Firefly, but he kept showing on Friday night and it wasn't there.  It was getting preempted by baseball and...I mean, I remember that.  I tell you, I still have't watched the last episode of Firefly, because if I do that, then they'll all be gone.  So, it's just sitting there waiting, and one day, maybe.  Right here.

Audience:  I noticed this kind of sub-genre of urban fantasy seems to be primarily female authors, and I wondered if you had any thoughts on that [inaudible]?

Jim Butcher:  Okay.  Urban fantasy seems to be mostly female authors.  What are my thoughts on...what?  Oh, I thought you said something, sorry.  Seems to be mostly female authors and I'm not...demonstrably.  So, what are my thoughts on it?  Why is it like that?  Because the first one to get alot of attention was Laurel?  I don't know, really.  Really, I think the publishing industry is mostly women.  I mean, there seems to be pretty much an even split of authors but on the other hand, the romance genre sells something like 60%...50% or 60% of fiction book sales is just romance.  It's kind of a girl thing, unless you're a guy who's in prison because while you can't buy porn, you can buy romance novels. (laughter) So, go figure.

Audience:  Do you have weird writing tics or writing OCD-ness that need to get through your books?

Jim Butcher:  Do I have any weird writing tics or OCD-ness that I use to get through my books?  Most of my tics and OCD get in the way of me getting through my books.  I do like to write.  I do my best writing from around ten at night until around six in the morning, because there's nobody bothering me.  If you're there during the day, it's like, 'Dad, I love you,' this and, 'Honey, do you need something to eat,' that and...you can't work in that kind of environment.  (laughter) And I also like to have either a really bad movie or a movie I've seen a gajillion times on the TV while I'm writing so that I can just look up for the good parts.  It's like, 'Okay, the orcs just broke through the door in Moria.' (looks up) 'Back to work.'  Like that.  Very back, halfway around the corner, there.  No, not behind you.  You, yeah.

Jim Butcher:  I'm sorry, what's that?

Audience:  Was Empire Strikes Back one of the movies that were watched when writing this last book?

Jim Butcher:  Empire Strikes Back was not a movie on this book.  The movies on this book were Watchmen.  No, no wait.  Watchmen was for the short story stuff.  Oh, what were the movies on this one.  I don't remember.  It's kind of a blur.  This was over November and December, Thanksgiving, Christmas, et cetera.

Audience:  Fellowship?

Jim Butcher:  Fellowship was not in there.  It was the ones that were on the DVR.  Oh, okay.  It was Tremors and Army of Darkness. (cheers) There.  Now you know.  Let's see, here in the middle.  Young lady, yes?

Audience:  How long do you spend, like, how long does it take you to write your books now that you've got it all figured out?

Jim Butcher:  How long does it take me to write a book?  Somewhere between, apparently, two months and seven or eight months.  And it seems to be kind of random which, they don't like that in New York.  But I did all of Changes, I think all of it but about seven chapters I did in the space of eight weeks between the beginning of November and New Year.  And I worked, like, sixteen hours a day every day, including Christmas, and New Year and Thanksgiving.  And was oh so charming a person during that time, let me tell you.  But, I was able to get it done, though, so.  Did I let you ask one yet?

Audience:  No.

Jim Butcher:  Okay, well, then.

Audience:  You finished up the Codex Alera, but you left it open to possibly doing something in the future with it.  Are you thinking about doing that, or...?

Jim Butcher:  I finished up the Codex Alera, but left it open to possibly doing something in the future with it.  Am I thinking about doing that?  I don't have a specific idea yet.  The one I'm kind of leaning towards is the one where we go back about two hundred years later, when we've had a lot of combination of Canim engineering with Aleran fury crafting.  And it would be very steampunky, kind of 'Furypunk.' (laughter)  When the enemy of the Vord shows up to wipe out life on the planet, exterminate the Vord.  But we'll -- I don't know if I'm ever going to write that or not.  That might be something that I go back and write when I'm older to pay off my gambling debts or something. 

[something about someone who's had arms up from the very beginning, followed by confusion over who should ask the next question]

Audience:  I just want to know how old is Harry?  You always say thirty something.  When is he going to reach his forties, for God's sake?

Jim Butcher:  What the hell, man.  We're going at a year per book. (laughter)

Audience:  [inaudible] give us his first age.  How old is he?

Jim Butcher:  Oh, let's see.  When he starts off, in Storm Front he was twenty four, twenty five.

Audience:  Got it.  I can do the math.

Jim Butcher:  Okay. (laughter) He's eight or nine months younger than I am.  Or no, he's about a year younger than I am.

Audience:  [inaudible] Thank you.

Jim Butcher:  Sure.  Yeah, see, that's why -- see how personal I took that. (laughter) When the hell is he going to be forty, because you must be at least seventy five. (laughter) That's what was in my head.  I admit that may not have been what you meant.  Alright, we're cool, then.

Audience:  Any hints on what the short story in the RPG will be?

Jim Butcher:  Any hints on what the short story in the RPG will be?  No.  I've been trying to write it on my goofy iPad.  The iPad type thing does not work so well when you've got alot of dialog.  I wanted to go get an iMac bluetooth keyboard, but I couldn't get here in time to go to the apple store which is, like, two doors down.  Well, that's fine anyway because, gosh, I'm so tired, I don't know what would happen if I started writing right now.  Okay.

Audience:  You touched on the dragons in the Dresdenverse.  Are you going to do anything more with the dragons in the...?

Jim Butcher:  Is there going to be more with the dragons in the Dresdenverse.  Yeah.  Yeah, otherwise -- I'm essentially lazy, so I don't want to actually create anything that I'm not going to use for something eventually.

Offline derek

• Participant
  • Hail Eris
    • View Profile
I'm having issues following who's working on what... so do you have any that are as yet unclaimed?  I'd be happy to help out.

I think the first post in the thread is pretty up to date now, other than these first few Powell's interviews which I've done. The ones with asterisks next to them have been claimed.

Offline Fireball5485

• Participant
    • View Profile
Thanks!  I'll start in on 2010 Mysterious Galaxy in San Diego on April 9th, all parts.

Offline Fireball5485

• Participant
    • View Profile
Dictation by Fireball5485

2010 Mysterious Galaxy in San Diego on April 9th youtube videos
    Part 1

Intro: I don’t know why you’re applauding.

{Jim Laughs} I haven’t even done anything yet.

Is it on?

There, how’s that? Can you guys hear me ok, or?

{General Negative Response}

{Pause play with sound system}

Try it again.

Ok, how’s that?

Is it any better?

Ok, how’s that?

{General Positive Response}

Plug it in…

Yeah, that would help, yes.

Ok, ladies and gentlemen, Jim Butcher.

{Applause}

Ok, first things first: Yes, my hair is cut. {Laughter} It’s not an illusion.  Oh, and one other thing before we get started, as folks come through the line tonight, if you could, and this is kind of a personal quirk, but if you could please refrain from telling me not to die. {Laughter} I think that’s sort of implied, and that I’m going to be working on that one anyway, so I don’t want you to jinx me here.  Ok, that being said, I’m happy to back here.  I always love coming to Mysterious Galaxy, but if you guys want to ask some questions, I’ll try and give you some answers, and then we’ll get to book signings.

Can you turn up the volume any?

It’s already up as far as it will go.  I can talk louder, though. {Clenches fist} {Laughter}

{Camera breaks out, comes back in}

Me and my engineering terminology for magic. {Laughter}

Just thinking about a certain couple that are locked up. {Jim nods}

{Next Person}
Just a general question, how do you pronounce Harry’s godmother’s name?

Well, she is the Leanansidhe.  Harry’s the one who calls her Lea.

Ok but it’s / Le-an-she / ?

/ La-nan-she /. Yeah, Leanansidhe or something like that.  I think that’s the closest it’s going to get.  It’s Gaelic, it doesn’t have to make sense. {Laughter}

Thank you

Yeah, no problem.

{Next Person}

Yeah, in the back.

You go to great pains to describe the beer at McAnally Pub.  Is that based on anything in reality or do you make your own? {Laughter}

No, I actually, I don’t drink at all.  I’m one of those guys whose family tree has got way too many co-instances of alcoholic-felon. {Laughter} So, I thought perhaps it would be wise if I didn’t go that direction. That way I can bail other people out.

{Next Person}
Does that inform on Dresden?

I dunno, maybe. {Laughter} He can handle it.  He can have some beer in the fridge, and no big deal.  I get the feeling that I’d turn into a fiend after the second or third swallow.

{Next Person}
Is your writing pace going to change now that the Codex Alera is finished?

Nah, not much.  I’m going to be doing a Dresden book every year, and one other book, and I’m probably going to do some extra short-stories on the side.  The next book I’m doing hasn’t been set certainly, for certain yet, and I haven’t gotten it sold or anything. So, it’s still a little bit up in the air about what I’m going to do next.  Hopefully, It’ll be a… I’m going to be writing it with my friend Cam Banks, who is the only person I’ve ever known who could actually stay sane long enough to work with me.  ‘Cause, you know, Cam’s the kind of guy where I can snarl, ‘We need to do it like THAT!’ and he’ll say, {In fake Aussie-ish accent} ‘Yeah, ok, whatever.’ {Laughter} He’s from New Zealand and he cannot be rattled.  It’s great. Anybody else?

{Next Person}
Are you planning a stand-alone or a new series?

Eventually, I’m going to write my epic, epic fantasy epic, which will be epic. {Laughter} But I’m not quite there yet. I’ve got a science fiction series that I’ve got the first half of the first book done, which has been hanging around for a long time.  I’ve got to finish it someday.  The one that I’m working on with Cam, I think we might be going with the post-apocalyptic fantasy.  You know, the brave heroes get together, they fulfill the prophecy, they take the tokens of power to the dark lord, and he cheats and collapses the castle on them and wins. And, the world is sunk into darkness and, then what?  And so it’ll be the ‘and then what?’ that I’ll be writing.

{Next Person}
How’d you get your first break?

Well, actually the first break I got didn’t pay off, and that was when my writing teacher looked at the manuscript to Storm Front that I did as a class project and said, ‘Yeah, this is good enough to sell.  I don’t know if it’ll be the first thing you’ll sell, but you’ll sell it eventually.’ She gave me a letter of recommendation to her editor {insert name} Buchanan at Ace, and Buchanan  had my manuscript on her shelf to be read for two years and ten months, before she eventually heard that I had sold it to somebody else. {Laughter} So that was the first break that didn’t really pan out the way we kind of hoped a break would.  Actually, the real break that I got was due to Laurell Hamilton.  I went to a convention she was at.  I wanted to go there and meet her anyway because I was a fan of her work, and I was on one of her fan lists online, so I got a bunch of questions together so that I could take them to Laurell for the fans.  And I also had wanted to target Laurell’s agent at the time, Ricia Mainhardt, and I knew she was going to be there as well, so I’d thought I’d go there and introduce myself and be able to get lucky.  So, I showed up, and in this mixer that was going on Friday night at this writing convention, poor Laurel was besieged by fans who, I mean it was ‘Richard, Jean-Claude, and this and that and everything.’ You could see this wild, haunted look around her eyes.  So, I kind of cruised in and barged in on the conversation and started talking about Buffy and Babylon 5.  And she was like, ‘I Love Buffy and Babylon 5!’ So we got to talking, and so I sort of saved her from the assault that was going on.  But the next day at the convention, it was lunch time and we were breaking for lunch, and I was bumping around, you know bumping into walls like I do when I don’t have my wife there to tell me what to do. And Laurel saw me and was like, and oh my gosh, this is pathetic, and she said, ‘Hey, Jim.  A bunch of us are going to lunch. You wanna go?’ And I was like, ‘I eat lunch!’ {Laughter} Since I’m a social genius. And so I went to lunch with Laurel, and like three other writers and three or four editors and like half a dozen agents.  And it turned out a bunch of them liked Buffy and Babylon 5. {Laughter} We talked about it over lunch and by the end of the weekend I’d had, Laurel’s agent had offered to represent me.  And I said, ‘YES! No take-back-sies!’ {Laughter} And then, the agent I’m actually working with now, Jennifer Jackson was, also made an offer to me. And I said, I looked at her and I said, ‘But, but, but, but, but, but I sent you, you rejected my manuscript like two weeks ago!’ She goes, ‘I know.’ ‘You sent me back a crooked photocopy of a form rejection.’ She said, ‘Yeah, I know.’ {Laughter} ‘And now you’re offering? Why are you offering this to me now?’ And she’s like ‘Well, you know, now I’ve met you, and you play dice-less role playing.  You’re my kind of nerd.’ It’s like {Jim rolls eyes}{Laughter} But that was kind of how the first break panned out.

{Next Person}
Are you planning on offering any franchising spin-offs of the Alera series?

See, that’s one of those things where I think there’s a big misconception among most readers; that is that the author’s the one that gets to pick, that kind of thing.  Really what it is, it’s not like I’ve got people beating down my door going, ‘Give us the rights to Alera!’ There’s been a little bit of interest.  If somebody took and I thought they were going to something kind of cool with it, I’d be like, ‘Yeah, ok, we can work with that.’ There’s been a little bit of interest in making it an animated series in Alera.  We’ll have to see if that pans out. There’s also been interest in an Alera style multi-player game.  I don’t know if that would work or not. We’ll have to see if that pans out. But yeah, folks will come to me and say, ‘We want to get the options for this, or that, or the other.’ And, as a writer you either can sell them the option or not, and that’s pretty much the only thing you can do.  I mean, you can take your stuff and peddle it door-to-door, but you really kind of don’t get the same reception as if they come to you.