Author Topic: WoJ transcription help needed + mention new WoJ's here  (Read 139500 times)

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: WoJ transcription help needed + mention new WoJ's here
« Reply #210 on: March 19, 2014, 11:07:23 AM »
Announcer: There are some aspiring writers, I would take it, out there. How did you make the sale?

Jim: Making the sale was, I got a letter of introduction from my teacher to her editor who published several books per day, her name was Ginger Mccannon?, I got a letter of introduction and recommendation for this manuscript so Ginger Mccannon said "yeah I'll give it a look" and she had it for two and a half years without having time to look at it because of the sheer number of submissions that editors get. And the fact is that she kept it for two and a half years which is really encouraging unless you were the guy waiting that long. And so during this time I talked to several other people and a friend of mine suggested "you know what you really need to do at this point, if you've got the skills you need, the next thing that you need to do is that you need to start making contacts in the business because you need the network. This was the nineties, networking wasn't as big a thing back then. Folks weren't quite as aware of it, the social networks were just now coming online you know, Google was just now coming online. And so I said "well, okay, what do you think I should do?" and she's like "well there's no substitute for going and actually meeting people, go meet them face to face, go talk to them". And so I started going to conventions and going up to editors and agents and introducing myself and talking and I literally snuck into a coffee clash that was full, past Klingon security. I actually arranged for there to be a distraction so that I could sneak into the room. And then, I remember I was sitting there and someone rolled in a couple minutes late and went "oh I'm so sorry" and came to the table and all the chairs were full and it was me and a couple of editors and this horrible, this horrified look on his face as he saw the chairs were full and I looked around and I'm like "well, we can pull up another chair right? I mean, he's here" and they're like "yeah, we can pull up another chair" so we got another chair. And I tried meeting people and finally a notion occured to me that's like "well maybe, what I should do is I should be focusing on the editors and agents who, you know, actually publish things that are kind of like what I want to publish and actually represent people who write things like I want to write" and I said "Well, who is there?" and at the time urban fantasy was basically Laurel Hamilton, and she was pretty much it. And so I said "well okay, let's find out where Laura Hamilton's agent is" and so, Laurel was actually going to be at a convention so I arranged to go to the convention and I was on a mailing fanlist and so I collected a bunch of questions from the books on the list and I went up to Laura and I said "hey, can I have 20 minutes of your time at some point in the convention, I've got some folks from your fan mailing list with some questions and I would love to be able to share them" and Laurel's like "yeah sure" and uh all these people were talking to Laurel, it was a writing convention so they were all aspiring writers and they were all like me and they were all talking to Laurel about Anita and Jean-Luc and Richard and so on, I could see this kind of desperate glaze coming over her eyes as she was there because this was just non-stop and so I looked at Laura at one point and I went "do you like Buffy?" and she's like "I love Buffy" "do you like Babylon 5?", really, I felt like Gerald Ford on The Simpsons "do you like Babylon 5?" "I love Babylon 5" so we talked Babylon 5 and Buffy for like an hour. And the next day I was kinda wandering around at the convention sort of bumping into walls, what I normally do and Laurel spots me and says "hey Jim! do you wanna go to lunch?" and I'm like "Okay, I like lunch" and so I wound up at lunch with Laurel Hamilton and 3 other authors and 3 agents and 2 editors and they all liked Buffy and Babylon 5. Because they were all fellow nerds and so by the end of the convention, every agent who is there that I had met, including Laurel's agent, including a couple other ones, including my current agent, had offered to represent me and I'm like, actually I was sitting talking to Jennifer Jackson who is currently my agent and I looked at her and I'm like "you want to represent me now?" And she's like "yeah" and I'm like "but you rejected me" and she's like "I know" and I'm like "two weeks ago" and she says "I know, but that was before I knew you played the Amber diceless roleplaying game". And that was basically how it went.

Announcer: I can understand innate talent, where did the balls come from?

Jim: I don't know, you try something long enough, I blame most of it on Harry Dresden, on the way to that conference, on the way to the airport to go to that conference, I blew out a tyre on the way to the airport. This was a red-eye flight and it was literally 3:30 in the morning and I was halfway there and I was 5 miles-this was on the road between Norman Oklahoma and the Oklahoma city airport and I was literally 5 miles from the nearest phone. And I was right at the side of a highway, it was freezing cold, there was sleet coming down and the tyre blown out on my Firebird. On these old Firebirds there's this one nut that was a special lock nut to keep people from stealing your tyres as though stealing the tyres off your *unintelligible* car was a big deal. But the damn lock nut, you could not get the thing off and it had frozen on and I was on it for like half an hour,  I had grease all over myself and I had taken the skin off my knuckles, I couldn't feel my fingers anymore and there were semis going by like 3 feet away behind me as I was trying to change this tyre and I finally just sat down and it's like "what am I gonna do? If I run I can get to a phone in maybe an hour-stopping here for now.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 10:09:19 AM by TheCuriousFan »
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 19, 2014, 11:07:42 AM »
Reserved.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 19, 2014, 11:08:19 AM »
Reserved.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 19, 2014, 12:22:36 PM »
*cheer*
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline derek

• Participant
  • Hail Eris
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 01, 2014, 10:58:22 PM »
Jim Butcher Evening at Kiama Library - Part 1
Kiama Library, Kiama, New South Wales, Australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHxy_9lR4kk

Jim: Okay, so I was a college student and I intended to write novels. I was going to be a serious novelist. I was going to write swords and horses fantasy, epic fantasy, and that's what I was going to do.

And I set forth to do that. I wrote my first novel.

It was awful. I wouldn't have made Osama bin Laden read that novel. I really wouldn't. It was that terrible.

So, I wrote a novel after that and it was awful. And I followed that up with a third novel in that series - (inaudible).

I tried a fourth novel. It was kind of more of an X-Files-y thing and that was really, really bad.

The fifth novel was just a rewrite of the first novel and it didn't help. Rewriting really didn't make it all that much better.

So, I spun off into some other -- a new fantasy series for novels six and seven, and I still was not getting anywhere with any of it. And at that point, my writing teacher, Deborah Chester, had been trying to give me advice the whole time, which I had not taken because I had a degree in English literature and I knew what I was doing, whereas she had merely published forty novels.

So one semester I decided, 'You know what? I'm going to prove to Debby how wrong she is about everything. I'm going to be her good little writing monkey and I'm going to fill out all her little sheets, and do all her little forms and outlines and plan out everything ahead of time, and use all these stupid little devices. And she is going to see exactly what horrible, cookie cutter, pablum crap comes out of a process like that.' And I wrote the first book of the Dresden Files, which showed her.

So, it was a good age of my life to start realizing that maybe I didn't know everything. I think I was about 25 at the time. That is also when, as a young man, you start thinking to yourself something along the lines of, 'There might be something to life other than boobs.' And also, that's why -- I don't know how they have it set up in Australia, but in America that's when the car insurance rates go down, at that same age. I don't think that's a coincidence at all.

But anyway, so it was at that point that I started learning how much I didn't know. And then I actually started learning to write. And the Dresden Files, I wrote -- the next three books I wrote were the first few books of the Dresden Files and the one after that was the first book of the Codex Alera. And all those sold at that point.

But I remember taking that first chapter of Storm Front in to let her read. She picked it up and looked at it, read over the first chapter and looked up and said, 'Well, you did it.'

And I said, 'What?' Because I was used to very no holds barred, harsh criticism. And she said, 'You did it. This will sell. I don't know if this will be the first thing you sell, but this will sell.'

And I was like, 'G-G-G-G- Okay.' It was like the first positive responses I had gotten from her, ever. And it turned out she was right, to boot -- about the whole thing. Ugh, insufferable.

And then three months later, I was kicked out of the School of Professional Writing at the University of Oklahoma, evidently for not having what it took to be a professional writer.

Also, the dean who was actually teaching me one of the classes had asked me to come to an alumni dinner and talk about the professional writing program. And I said, 'Well, what do I say?' He said, 'Well, just speak your mind about it.'

Apparently, you're supposed to know better when the dean tells you that. Your mind is supposed to be in a certain place where you should know.

I don't get along in those kind of structured organizations real well. I don't know why that is. Anyway, that was how I stumbled into writing.

When I started writing Codex Alera, actually I wrote those on a bet. I was on an online list -- this was before I got published -- and I was on the Del Ray Online Writers Workshop, which was a big discussion group where people who wanted to be writers could go on the internet and yell at each other instead of actually getting writing accomplished.

There was a giant discussion going on on the list about whether the great idea was the absolute core, indispensable part of writing, was the most important thing, or whether the writer's presentation was the most important thing. And for me, it was all about presentation. It's all about the writer.

If the writer can put his own fresh spin on a story, he can take an old story that you've heard a thousand and still make a good story out of it that you will enjoy. How many versions of Romeo and Juliet have you seen? That was my point.

The other side was if you've got a great idea, it doesn't matter how lame a writer you are. The great idea will sell the story. Look at Jurassic Park. That was their words, not mine.

But the discussion was going back and forth, back and forth. It was one of those discussions that, you know, pretty much you just hit the CAPS LOCK key and reply and start typing. That's how it goes.

Finally, this guy on the other side said -- and bear in mind, we were all just loudmouths on the internet. I'm still just a loudmouth on the internet, but now I've got some books published.

But this guy says, 'Why don't you put your money where your mouth is. Let me give you a lame idea and see you write a good story out of it.' And being the punk that I was, I said, 'No. Why don't you give me two lame ideas and I'll use them both.'

And so the guy did. He said, 'Okay, first lame idea is lost Roman legion. I am so sick of lost Roman legion stories. All the lost Roman legions should have been found by now. Lost Roman legion, number one.'

I'm like, 'Okay, good. What's number two?'

And he says, 'Pokemon. I am so sick of the Pokemon.'

I'm like, 'Okay, fine,' and I took it.

And I said, 'Lost Roman legion,' and I went and I researched lost Roman legions, which I knew very little about. I discovered that the lost Roman legion that everybody is talking about is the IX Hibernian Legion who marched off into what was supposedly friendly territory, into a storm, and never came back again. And that was the end of their legion.

So, I thought, 'Okay. Well, let's take this legion and where are they going to march to -- maybe they marched to somewhere and came out somewhere and that's where they are. So, where did they go to? Land of the Pokemon. All right, great.'

So, I went and started looking at lost Roman legions and I figured out, okay, the Roman legion was actually only about half Roman citizens and the other half was German mercenaries. And then they had about this many camp followers that were along with them, because even though you weren't allowed to get married in the Roman army, everybody did anyway only it just wasn't official and you had you had your camp followers along.

So I figured out, okay, this is actually a good pretty good sized colonisation force. They went off to this land.

And I went and looked at Pokemon, which is itself a fusion of two ideas. First is the Shinto religion, which holds that there's a divine spirit inside all natural things, a divine spirit, a Kami inside all natural things. A giant mountain has a huge Kami in it and a pebble has a tiny Kami in it. And you'd better respect the pebble. But if you don't, what's it going to do? It's a pebble. And then the second idea that Pokemon is made from is professional wrestling. So, they took Shinto and professional wrestling and (inaudible).

So, I decided, okay, you know what? I'm going to set up this world where these Kami actually exist, where people bond to them. I stuck my Roman legion there and I gave them ten thousand years to ferment, or two thousand years to ferment. And I said, 'Okay, now we'll start the story here,' and that's where we got started. So, if anybody wonders, Alera is set in about 2004, in the first book, so, you know, parallel.

So, this whole time, I put this whole thing together and I got the first few chapters written and I'm like, 'You know, this is actually kind of a cool story. I think I'm going to work with this.' I got back online, I said, 'Actually....'

And the guy is like, 'Well, where's this awesome story?'

I'm like, 'Well, I don't want to publish it here, because I think I can sell it. So, I'm just, I'm not going to put it up here.'

He's like, 'Oh. So, I'm right.' And I had to be like, 'Yeah, you're right.'

And then I sold six books.

To this day, I don't remember the guy. Who knows? He may be in an audience aiming some sort of assassin gun disguised as a sandwich at me one day. Who knows (inauduble).

So, basically, I have stumbled into a career in professional writing on accident and looked around in bewilderment at my good fortune. Mostly that is due to you guys, who put my kid through college. Cheers. So, basically, I'm a goober who happens to be standing at this spot and has lucked out a bit and has worked awfully hard a bit. But that's what I do. I make up stuff I think will be fun. I write down the conversations with my imaginary friends and I've somehow managed to con you guys into paying me to do it. And thank you so much.

So, let's just do like questions and answers at this point. Is that cool? Okay, but it only works if one of you asks a question. Thank you, sir.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 12:19:04 AM by derek »

Offline derek

• Participant
  • Hail Eris
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 04, 2014, 12:02:11 AM »
Jim Butcher Evening at Kiama Library - Part 2

Okay, so when it comes to the Dresden Files -- because you've been writing for quite a few years -- have you ever looked at some of your earlier works and gone, 'I wish I made a different choice at that point.'

Oh, yes and no, because as soon as I can start playing with parallel universes, I'm going to get to show some of the things. Actually, one of the books that's going to be upcoming is -- I'm just going to go for total originality and call it Mirror Mirror and stick Harry in a parallel universe where he made one choice differently when he was much younger and show the fallout from that choice in that universe as it's going. That's going to be extremely fun story. I don't get to write it next. I think it's the story after this next one -- which is after Skin Game. There's Skin Game and then the next one the White Council is going to come to town and there's going to be a big brouhaha, and then I think I can do Mirror Mirror after that. And then maybe we'll do professional wrestling stories. Because I love professional wrestling. I watch it for the writing. And you can sort of pick out, well, wait, what's the inspiration for this show? And you can figure out what the book is the inspiration for this show, this particular segment of the wrestling. It's like, 'Ah ha! This is the Return of the King episode. Look! They've destroyed the evil guy and now the good king is back, and now he's the champion of the league, and so and so has been fired, and so and so has been re-hired, and he stretched forth his hand and cured a girl of cancer.' It's wonderful. I love watching wrestling. It's great fiction. But that's where the future is. As far as wondering about changing things in the past, nah, I'm pretty happy with it. I kind of use that Edna Mode quote. "I never live in the past, darling. It detracts from the now."

Having read your short stories (inaudible), will we either see a story about young Michael or Michael come back as a cyborg Michael and (inaudible)?

Cyborg Michael?

(inaudible)

Cyborg Michael? Really? (inaudible) cyborg paladin. I kind of love that idea. [crosstalk] Just read Skin Game. You'll be happy.

What made you decide to do Spider-Man?

Oh, are you kidding? What made me decide to do a Spider-Man novel? They said, 'Jim, do you want to do a Spider-Man novel?' 'Yes, I want to do a Spider-Man novel! Let me go get a pen so I can sign a contract. Are you going to pay me anything?' As it turns out, no, they're really not. I made -- even when, the books weren't selling as well then as they are now, but even then I took about a 90% pay cut to write that Spider-Man novel. But I got to write Spider-Man. I got to have to Rhino drink tea on Aunt May's couch. That was too good a time to pass up. I just couldn't possibly pass that one up. Of course, it threw off my writing schedule to the point that it's still behind because I threw that extra book in, but that's okay. I'll deal with it.

(inaudible) Butters, why polka?

Why polka on Butters? Because my main writing -- okay, every time, I make basically a new mix tape every time I start writing a new Dresden novel. And the mix tape for Dead Beat -- or the mix tape for the book that had Butters originally in it, which I believe was, it was the fifth one, Death Masks, that one had a load of polka, Weird Al's polka music on it. And so, why not? I'll have him like polka. I can do that. So, in my head, basically Butters is being played by about a 1984 age or by a 1990 age Weird Al in my head. In my head, that's who plays him.

Can you see actors for all the characters?

Not always. Sometimes. It changes as time goes on. Right now, I think if I could cast anybody I wanted, I would get Michael Fastbender to play Dresden and I'd go get Hiddleston to play Thomas, because he's awfully popular with the ladies these days.

Who is playing Molly?

What was that?

Who is playing Molly?

Oh, I don't know. I haven't gotten that far, really. But whoever, provided she's cute and can pull off sass, that's what I really need. I'm trying to think of the actress who had sort of stuck in my head but now she's bounced out of it again.

You need a tall Molly, though. That's the thing.

What's that?

You need a tall Molly, remember? Because she's like similar in build to her mum.

Yeah. I know who I'd cast in Charity. I'd want Lucy Lawless to play Charity. She'd be dead perfect for that. But other than that. I actually got to meet Lucy this week. She walked -- (inaudible) and she walked through the door and I'm like, 'Oh, that's Lucy Lawless. I should go talk to her. No, I couldn't do that. I'm standing in the elevator next to Lucy Lawless. Oh, my gosh, it's Xena.' I'm such a huge nerd.

You write a lot of experience, at least in Dresden Files, about gamers and gaming, and there's of course the role playing games. Have you played many games and, if so, what is your favorite and what is your favorite gaming experience?

Okay, how to answer this one. I rolled up my first D&D character when I was 7 years old on the first day of first grade when I should have been listening to my spelling teacher. And I was instead rolling up my first D&D character, who was a Basic D&D character from that old, old red, blue, yellow primary colors D&D set. He was an elf named Spock. That's now nerdy I am, sir. As far as favorite games, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay is my favorite system to run. It's got a lot of flavor. I can do all kinds of fun stuff in it.

Do you have an army?

Oh, no. The fantasy roleplay is my favorite. I play fantasy battles, and I play undead and I will rock you with my undead. I've still got my painted undead army up at home in two rifle cases. The rifles don't go in there. My models go in there. Let's see, my favorite gaming experience, though, was -- okay, my favorite gaming experience was also the highlight of my parenting career -- which also tells you something about.... This is a good story. We were out LARPing. I don't know if you guys know what live action roleplay is. You go out in the woods, you dress up and you got out with boffers and you lay into people, and that's what you do. We were playing at a camp, kind of out in the middle of nowhere Illinois. It was a Boy Scout camp. It was way far out away from any city light or anything, so when it got dark, it got really dark. The camp was all on this peninsula that stuck out into the middle of this huge lake. The peninsula was covered in 150 year old pine forest. So, just these huge columns of trees that went up to about a 45 foot canopy overhead. So, basically, whenever the moon was out, the moon was on the water all around you and just kind of cast these long, evil reflections down through these huge columns of trees -- in which nested a flock of like thirty turkey vultures. So, every once in awhile you'd scare the turkey vultures and they'd all spook and start flying at the same time. It was just completely eerie out there, and you're going through all these paths in the trees. We were out there fighting Aliens, only they couldn't call them Aliens because that's copyrighted, so they just did what Marvel did and called them the brood. But the costumes were completely goofy, because if you saw them in the daytime, they didn't look like anything because it was just foam spiky bits that stuck out all over the place. But at night, all you could see was an outline. And so you would just sort of just see the outline, just kind of in the blackness, this black outline of things with foam spiky bits. And they had little chemical glowlights taped to their eyes in little evil red slits like this [transcriber note: \ / ]. So you would see the spiky bits, but before that, you saw the evil red eyes sort of slowly coming towards you. And instead of making noise -- they didn't actually make any noises or anything like that. Each of the NPCs playing the bad guys had a clicker, and they'd start clicking. So, you'd hear clicking, and then the evil red eyes, and then these spiky bits. And when they got to you, they didn't fight you and kill you, they would hit you just enough to paralyze you and then you'd be dragged off into the dark and never be seen again. That was how these bad guys operated. So, it was completely scary. And in response to this, the local group had developed a phalanx system of combat. So, it would be a wall of shields on the outside and big guys with spears in the middle and the spell casters in the middle throwing bean bags at people, saying 'Lightning bolt! Fireball!' and so on. And that was how you did it. You advanced in this slow step by step formation and that was how you got everybody out alive again. Well, we came from a chapter where the threats were very different, and so our fighting style was much more of a Native American hit and run, attack people in the dead of night and get away after you've ruined their evening style. So, we did a lot more fighting with weapons in each hand. And me and the kid are out playing our fighters. We've both got like the long black coats. We've both got the identical black war paint on. We're both armed the same way. We're playing the warrior and the warrior's apprentice. And so we're on this mission where we're fighting all these things, and we don't have a lot to do because we're pretty much stuck in the middle. We don't have long weapons and we don't have shields, so we're pretty much just walking along. And then the DMs come up to us and they tell us, 'All right. At this point, the trail from here onward, it's only wide enough for two people to go side by side. So, you can only go two by two down this trail.' And everybody's like, 'Oh, two by two. Whoever is in front is going to die. Oh, God.' And I look over at my son, who is about 16 at this point. He's a couple inches taller than I am and still growing. And I look at him like, 'You up for this?' And he goes, '(sniff) Yeah.' Because he's such a badass. And I'm like, 'Okay.' We go, 'All right. We'll go up front.' And everybody's like, 'Oo, yeah, the new guys. Send them up front. Let them do this.' So the Gamemaster says, 'All right, 3, 2, 1, game on,' and me and the kid take off at a sprint down the trail. We get to the first guy before he's quite done standing up and we maul him, because we're both fighting with two swords. So, brbrbrbrb, like that and jump over his corpse and sprint towards the next guy. And meanwhile, the rest of the group is like, 'Wait, wait, what's going on?' and trying to come after us. So, we get to the next guy. We engage him, tear him apart. Go past him, go to the next one. This guy is ready for us but it doesn't matter. We tear him to shreds. We're on guy five or six before we realize, wait a minute, the reason this is happening is because I taught the kid how to fight, so he fights in exactly the same rhythm that I do because that's what he learned from me. Only we were fighting on alternating beats, so as soon as I started sweeping down for a low line attack, he would pop up to a high line attack and vice versa, and we would trade off at exactly the right time without having to talk to each other about it because that was just the rhythm we were fighting in. If we'd planned it, it never would have worked. But we didn't and it was awesome. So, we did this section of dungeon that was supposed to take us three hours and we did it in seventeen minutes. Got to the end, we killed the last guy, went back to back, looked around us like this and we both put the swords away samurai style at the same time. And everybody behind us goes, 'Oh, that was cool.'  I turned to the kid and I'm like, 'Be cool. Be cool. We do this every day, right?' So, that's my favorite gaming experience and my best parenting moment. When my son came to me asked me to teach him to write, he was like, 'Well, I guess you were kind of right about teaching me how to boffer fight,' because before we first started boffer fighting, before we first started going out to LARP, I taught him his basic fencing. And when we got him there, they were like, 'Well, he's a little younger than most people who are here. We just want to put him up against the weapon marshal and make sure he'll be all right.' And I said, 'Yeah, okay. Sure.' So, the kid went up against the weapon marshal when he was 14, against this guy who was 25. The kid beat him ten touches to one and he comes running over to me, bouncing like this. He goes, 'Oh, I, I can do this! I can sword fight and I can beat people!' And I'm like, 'Yeah, kid. I told you. This is one of the things I can do well.' He's like, 'Yeah, but I figured you didn't know what you were talking about.' So, it's like credibility with the child. Credibility with your offspring, that's solid gold right there. Anyway, long answer to the question.

You've been using a lot of different things coming back in the Dresden and stuff. There are elves, faeries, vampires, werewolves. Is there any sort of supernatural thing you've wanted to put in but haven't yet or just can't?

Supernatural things I've wanted to put in but haven't yet or just can't? Uh, I mean, no. I feel totally willing, as long as I feel I'm conversant enough with the mythology I'm dealing with. I'll put anything in. I haven't got to go with -- I haven't got to do any rakshasas yet. I haven't got to do any djinn really. I haven't gotten to do nearly enough gods or nearly enough Lovecraftian stuff. I've got to do some more of that. But no, everything is fair game, at least for as far as the story goes, as far as running into freaky monsters goes. So, if I haven't used it yet, I'm planning on using it, because we've still got to do the thing with the dragon and that's going to be awesome.

Is there any way that Joss Whedon (inaudible).

Is there any way that Joss Whedon would do that? I'm sure he doesn't have anything better to do. I can't think what else he'd be doing. What I would prefer to see, if it was going to be on TV again, I would prefer to see it produced as a feature production series like Game of Thrones or one of the other (inaudible) cable. And there is the potential for something like that to happen, but it's Hollywood so I'm not getting real excited about it yet. One of the rules of Hollywood is nothing's final until the check has cleared. And that's kind of the ground you're standing on out there. So, I'm not getting excited about it now. I did spend most of January writing up a series bible for a studio. We'll see if they do anything with it.

Are you still going to write more comics?

Am I still going to write more comics? Yes. I just got done writing an outline for War Crime, which is the new one. That's the one where Dresden takes a group -- it's set right after the events of Dead Beat. And Dresden, who is newly inducted into the Wardens, has to take a group of baby Wardens into a fight. So, it's Ramirez and Wild Bill Myers and Yoshimo and off they go. They're sent off to the middle of nowhere Iowa to find some people and get out again and it's terribly complicated by all the things that happened, because it's Harry Dresden's life. And nothing is simple when it's Harry Dresden. But it's great, because I get to have him, drive him out there in the Blue Beetle and have it break down on the outskirts of town. Dresden just sits there like, 'Ugh.' It's like, yes, that's where we start. And the artist is just amazing. Actually, the artist starts off with the fight with the White Council versus the Red Court in Sicily and in Africa. And it's horrible. I'm looking at these scenes of virtual genocide going on in these cities and going, 'Oh, my God, all those corpses, all that horror. It's perfect.' But that's one of the risks you run as a writer is finding yourself saying things like that. To do my job, I need a little more C-4.

(inaudible)

Oh, yeah, exactly.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 12:19:50 AM by derek »

Offline derek

• Participant
  • Hail Eris
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 04, 2014, 12:04:25 AM »
Jim Butcher Evening at Kiama Library - Part 3

Favorite authors?

My favorite authors? Hands down is going to be between a couple. Robert B. Parker, who died too soon, because I wanted more of his books and here he stopped being alive. That was a bad career move, Robert. Lois Bujold, Lois Master Bujold I think is a wonderful writer. I think she's one of the best craftsmen working in science fiction today. And Brandon Sanderson. Sanderson is probably the most talented writer, in terms of balancing the craft of storytelling and the art of words. I think he's better than anybody else who is working right now. So, check out Sanderson. Check out Way of Kings. It's the first book in his big epic fantasy series. It's good.

(inaudible)

Yeah. Yeah, you know, the scene that I'm talking about that I'm so impressed with is Calvin's decision with the bridge at the end, where he's deciding to go, whether or not he's going to leave Delinor to die. And it brings together all these scenes that you thought were nothing, weren't connected to anything, but there are these incredible moments of character belief and emotion that is drawn from all these earlier things that makes this person who he is, that make his decision kind of inevitable. And it's awesome. And not only that, but Sanderson has the great habit of going completely over the top. He's the kind of guy who would be happy to write a scene where you're walking your giant robot down the streets of Hong Kong dragging an oil tanker to use as a baseball bat to fight a giant monster. That's the plot of Pacific Rim but that's the kind of venue in which Sanderson starts thinking. Once he gets out of this really intimate character focus he does on the characters, it's time for epic action and it goes all anime. It's awesome. So, those are probably some of my top three. I can mention Patrick Rothfuss. He's my best enemy. We're BEFs. And, you know, he's awfully -- I hate him for his talent. Sanderson I think writes too quickly. I think the rest of the us need to break his fingers or he's going to give us a bad name. I read a lot of Scalzy. I like Scalzy's writing a lot. I don't always agree with the guy, but that's okay. He writes a bad ass book and I respect the hell out of that. But anyway.

Matthew Stover?

What's that?

Matthew Stover?

I have not read him. Who is this person?

He's related to (inaudible)

Oh, okay. Sounds good to me. Let's see, I reread The Belgariad every so often, by David Eddings, because that was great epic fantasy. I like to pretend that those are the only five books he ever wrote. I reread the Black Company by Glenn Cook probably once a year, because I love those books. If you haven't read the Black Company by Glenn Cook, they're grim, dark, very, very Martian books, in terms of Martian/Venus. There's a lot of things that go unsaid and you have to read in between the -- there's a lot of subtext in his books that I really enjoy. But there you go. There's a bunch. Naomi Novik, the Temeraire series, I grab those as soon as they come out.

About being a writer, it seems to me that (inaudible) about listening to voices in your head, hearing those and things, what other skills do you think (inaudible)

Well, a good writer borrows from other sources and a great one just steals outright. That's a Mark Twain quote. But the important thing about being a writer is that you've got to -- when you run across things that stir emotions in you, you've got to be the sort of person who can stop and go, 'Oh, that scene was beautiful. It made me cry,' you know, in this movie, and then you've got to be the sort of person who stops and goes, 'Wait a minute. Why did it make me cry and how can I use it to make other people cry?' My teacher told me a long time ago, this is one of the things I disagreed with, she said, 'The art of writing is basically the art of manipulating peoples' emotions.' And she says, 'That sounds very callous and cold and mercenary, but it's completely true. If you can make people love who you want them to love and hate who you want them to hate, you'll be a successful story teller.' So, you've got to -- really, as a writer, one of the things you've got to do is learn about people and how they work. Not just because it lets you manipulate the readers, but because it shows you better how to do characters and you probably gain some character of your own along the line somewhere. I'm still hoping to pick some up.

On that note, is there anybody in the Dresden Files that you're not going to destroy physically or emotionally, because you seem to be on a bit of a trend here?

I make no promises, man. I think -- okay, you know, the scenes like where people get shot abruptly out of nowhere or abruptly stabbed with giant pieces of metal through the chest out of nowhere? Okay, the problem with those scenes is not that they kill favorite characters that we love but that they didn't make those people suffer anywhere near enough to get the job done as a writer. I look at those and go, 'You know what? That could have been a lot worse. And this is how we could have made it even worse, and that would have made it that much more painful and terrible a death for these characters.' Yeah, a little bit of sadism. You've got to have a little bit of sadism in you to be a good writer. So, I make no promises about anybody in the Dresden Files as far as who is going to make it out alive or with their sanity in one piece.

And I think that's sort of why I (inaudible) my question. A lot of people make it out alive but what they end up as is something we may not like.

Well, monsters got to come from somewhere.

Speaking of emotions, will Harry ever get a girlfriend who will last more than three months?

I make no promises. Actually, Harry's romantic life was one of the major things that I didn't plot out ahead of time when I was putting the books together. There are so many other aspects of the story that have been plotted out since I was 25. It seems to be working so far, so I've just been sticking to the outline that I wrote. But his love life was something that I wanted to be sort of organic and to kind of grow up on it's own throughout the series. It turns out that who you love has minor affects on the rest of your life, so I've been busy dealing with that as we go along.

Are Harry's attitudes towards women and how to interact with women, do they primarily come from Harry or is (inaudible)

Oh, as far as interacting with women? I'm probably just at least as clueless as Dresden is, which is to say at least as clueless as the Y chromosome half of the species. And I know people who are, like, much, much better at the whole interacting with girls thing, and those guys, I hate them a little bit. And so that's why they're all Thomas. But, yeah, I'm fairly clueless myself. It's tough to write a character who is smarter than you are. Really, the only way you can write a character smarter than you are is to not have them say very much.

I was rewatching Babylon 5 recently. How much of Garibaldi is in Dresden?

How much of Garibaldi is in Dresden? Not a whole ton. Although, I can definitely -- it was probably an influence without me thinking about it. I think if I was going to cast anybody for anybody for Ebeneezer it would be Peter Jurassic, who played Lando in Babylon 5. And then I would have had the guy who played Jakar play the Gatekeeper. And then they could have been bitchy at one another. It would have been a lot of fun. But what else?

How do you work with the highs and the lows of your motivation (inaudible)

With the highs and lows of my motivation? In what sense?

Um, just keep on going and keeping fresh.

Oh, um, I go out and I meet people and talk to them. And they laugh at my jokes, which is, I always feel, very kind. It makes me feel like an actual writer when I go out on tour and stuff like that. And I'll be like, 'I'm famous now. I should go back home and be famous writer guy. Right after this round of solitaire.' But as far as motivation goes, I don't really have to motivate myself much. I like what I do and I like to keep eating. I don't have a muse. I have a mortgage. So, there's a certain amount of practicality that you really need to be a writer. Although if I was half as mercenary as I like to pretend I was, I would be writing vanilla action thrillers or something like that. Or better yet, romance. Romance is where the money is. That's the money when it comes to genre fiction.

I really liked the scenes where you were in Chicago, when you have -- like the battle with the Denarians in the aquarium. Do you actually go to the actual places and (inaudible) them out?

I do. And if you ask the people at the aquarium what would happen if this wall broke, I mean if somebody shot it out or something.... No, no, no, I need to know for professional reasons. They do not have a sense of humor about that at all. I mean, not even a little. I actually had a guy who was a Chicago SWAT team leader come up to me after a signing I did in Chicago a few years and say, 'Okay. I read this short story that you did where you set up this guy, where you had this guy set up as a sniper on the roof and you pointed out specifically which street lights were put out and everything for this approach, and I need to know who you consulted about that because people with this kind of tactical knowledge, we sort of like to keep an eye on.' And I said, 'I just figured it out from using Google Earth.' The guy goes, 'You just figured it out?' I'm like, 'Yeah.' He goes, 'Oh, God, I hate the internet.' Which was kind of cool. But yeah, some of the places I go to. Some of the places, especially early in my career, I didn't have enough money to go to Chicago and look at things, but I did have a bunch of people on a mailing list. And so I would send out questions to people on the mailing list and say, 'Hey, I need to know what the east wall of Graceland Cemetery looks like.' And I'd get back an email, 'I drive by there on my way to work in the morning. I'll take some pictures on my phone and send them to you.' That was great when that started being able to happen.

(inauduble)

Yep. Yeah, and I get things wrong sometimes and then I hear all about it.

It's a bit like the motivational question. Being a writer, do you ever suffer with writer's block?

No, I don't believe in writer's block. I don't believe it exists. Sometimes I would just really, really rather be playing video games. Any time you're running into a problem like that, with writer's block, the problem that you're having is somewhere in the fundamentals of what you've set up in front of you right now. You've either set up your scene incorrectly or you haven't made things hard enough on your protagonist earlier on. So, when you run into trouble and you're not sure what to do, a lot of times, you just have someone kick down the door and start shooting. That's what I do a lot. That's advice from old pulp writers and it totally works. There are a lot of times where the scene will be going along and something's happening, something's happening, then something else completely unrelated totally sudden and violent. Okay, that's Jim not sure what to happen next, what to do next, and so we're going to have something totally unexpected and violent and we'll see what falls out. And I've got to figure out why it's there and that kind of helps kick me along.

Why Chicago, if that's not a town-

Because my writing teacher would not let me set it in Kansas City. Originally, they were set in Kansas City, my home town, because I knew it. And she said, 'Jim, you're already walking close enough to Laurel Hamilton's toes that you don't need to set this in Missouri, too.' She said, 'Pick another city.' I said, 'What other city?' She said, 'Any other city.' There was a globe on her desk. There was four American cities marked on the globe. So, I'm looking at it and I don't want to use New York because Superman's got that all sewn up. I don't want use D.C. because if you're going to set something in D.C. you've got to write politics and that loses you half your audience right away, no matter what you do. I don't want to set it in L.A. because then I'd have to learn about L.A. and that didn't seem reasonable. So that left only Chicago. I said, 'How about Chicago?' She said, 'Fine, Chicago. Where ever. Just not in Kansas City.' And that's why it's in Chicago. Like I said, I stumbled into this stuff.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 12:29:39 AM by derek »

Offline derek

• Participant
  • Hail Eris
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 04, 2014, 12:05:21 AM »
Jim Butcher Evening at Kiama Library - Part 4

Just going back to your approach before, that when you hit sort of a block you can throw in some action or something unexpected. How much plotting do you do with your writing? Because I was reading Stephen King's comment where he said he just sticks a character in a situation and lets things unfold based on the character. So, how much of that do you do and how much do you try and structure and plot your books?

Did Stephen King really say that?

It did seem unbelievable.

That's the difference in people who are born with story telling talent and the predisposition toward doing the right thing in story telling, and so they do well like Stephen King, and somebody like me who had no clue whatsoever and had to be handed some tools to say, 'Ah ha. Here is how you shape the story.' For me, I always know where I'm going begin. I always know where I'm going to end. I always know a great big explody bit in the middle that has a high special effects budget that is going to sort of propel the story from the middle of the story to the end of the story. I generally know which characters I'm going to be using. Sometimes -- I mean, when I put the story together, I'll always know the characters I'm going to be using when I get started. Occasionally -- I have a lot of flexibility in which characters I'm going to choose to use and so I will sometimes put up a poll on my website and say, 'Hey, who do you want to see more of in the next book.' And, you know, Murphy. Okay, Murphy will be a sidekick. Fine, will do it like that and that will work out well. But I always know at least that much. And the way I do it is I draw -- because again, I'm not all that bright -- so when people started asking me how I outline my story arcs or story arches, I don't know, one of the two -- and I draw an arch and I start writing the points of the story. Here's where it begins, here's where it ends, then I start filling in bits along the way. Just sort of literally. The more I outline, the better off I am, especially writing under a deadline. Because when you're writing under a deadline, you've got to get those pages produced. That's just part of professionalism. So, yeah, I tend to outline and the more I outline, the smarter I am. I'm not always smart. All my advice on writing, if you go to http://jimbutcher.livejournal.com, it's nothing but articles for aspiring writers. And that's all it is is just articles that are written, that are meant for folk who are trying to get a handle on story.

I'm just curious. How fast do you write?

When I'm writing well, when I'm completely in the zone and writing, 2500 words an hour. When I'm just sort of writing out words and I'm not at all in the mood but I've got to write because it's my job and I need to be professional, about 500 words an hour. So, I do everything I can to do as much zone writing as possible because that's when my best stuff gets produced.

So on average, how long would (inaudible)

How what?

Would it take you to write a book?

To write a book? Between four and nine months. And a lot of that, it just depends on all kinds of things. You know, has the new Battlefield come out yet. That sort of thing. It averages out to about six months a book.

Will we get to learn any more about the Jade Court, possibly?

Probably not, at least not until the big trilogy because --

I think you said that, I just thought I'd ask.

They're -- yeah, well, they're isolationists and they're serious about it.

There's the power vacuums.

They really don't want anything to do with a gwai lo named Dresden, so.

Will we get to see more of the relationship with his daughter?

Yeah, we'll get to see more of that this book. I was actually very proud to see where Harry actually confronts Maggie seriously for the first time. Marsters was recording it and it took him like an extra two hours to record because he kept breaking down in tears. I'm like, 'Yes! I made James Marsters cry.' It made me happy all day long.

One of your more weirder scenes was the journey on the Chichen Itza, whatever, and like just that journey through the parallel universes and stuff like that but mixed in with the physical ones. Where did you get the ideas? I think there was like the upside triangles of light. Do you use like random things or how did you...?

Yeah. I mean, every time -- I would like to claim I have this amazing, awesome imagination and I just pulled them out of there. But every time I think I've done that, I realize that really it's just something I took from a Saturday morning cartoon that I just didn't remember until I saw it on reruns. Bob the Skull, I thought he was so awesome. It was such a great idea to add him. And then I would go and saw the rerun of the opening segment of the original Scooby-Doo cartoon, and that's the first thing you see is the skull with the flaming eyes giggling. And it's like, oh, I'm so original. Wow. So, there are probably bits and pieces taken from everywhere. The only question is whether I realize it or not. As far as going through the parallel universes, though, to get somewhere else, that's largely lifted from Zelazny's Amber books. I don't know if you guys read Amber but travelling through Shadow is much the same.

With hindsight now, what are your thoughts on the TV series that was made.

My thoughts on the TV series? Could have been worse. You didn't see the first draft that I did. It could have been a lot worse. Although, you also did see the original pilot and I did. It's available, the original pilot is available on the internet for download somewhere. And it's actually the two hour version of the Storm Front episode. It just covers the events of Storm Front. It's not bad. I don't know if you guys know this or not, I'm going to share with you my conspiracy theory on what killed the Dresden Files on television. I don't have any proof but I have a bulletin board with pictures and note cards and bits of yarn strung out, which is almost as good as proof, because in conspiracy theory, proof actually burdens the conspiracy theory, makes it not work. But bear in mind that at the time the Dresden Files came out, there were a couple of powerful executives working at the SciFi Channel. The first was Bonnie Hammer who had given the SciFi Channel professional wrestling and Ghost Hunters, which were successful because they didn't cost very much and they generated revenue. And then there was -- oh, what was his name? I believe it was David Howe, who had just been responsible for bringing Battlestar Galactica to the SciFi Channel to worldwide critical acclaim and success, and David Howe was the one who was behind the Dresden Files. So, two weeks before the Dresden Files started airing, Bonnie Hammer took over and all of the sudden lots of things started happening to the Dresden Files two weeks before filming was about to start. They replaced the producer, Robert Wolfe. They told him, 'Okay, you're going to be second in command. You're going to be our on the spot commander. But the guy who is actually in charge is going to be so and so, who just got done doing Charmed, and he's going to be the boss from L.A. while you shoot in Toronto.' And the first thing the new boss said was skip all this serial nonsense, because actually the first season was originally supposed to cover the events of Storm Front and Fool Moon. And they said, 'Skip all that serial nonsense. We're just going to do individual episodes that aren't connected.' And they're like, 'We've only got two weeks until we start shooting and there's no time to rewrite for that.' 'Oh, never mind. Just disconnect the stories and change everybody's names and switch the order around.'

(inaudible)

Did you notice that too? I thought I was the only one. So, really, the folks that were there did the best they could with what they had but they were constantly being sandbagged by folks in L.A. For instance, they would write in scene changes -- this guy would write in scene changes that would change who was going to be in a scene that they were going to shoot the next day. He would send it out by 9:00 California time, which is considered acceptable in California, except that that's midnight in Toronto. And by the time the changes got out and people got alerted to it, it was 1:00 in the morning in Toronto before the bosses started giving orders to change the scene that was going to start shooting at 5:00 a.m. And so they wind up calling up Terrance Mann and saying, 'Hey, Terry. Sorry, we know you were supposed to go see your wife and kids tomorrow for the first time in five weeks but we need you on stage at 5:00 a.m. instead.' And so that led to many days of frustration and so on like that on the set, because there was such a disconnect between the guy who was in charge and the people who actually had to make it happen. So, there were many days on the set where people were grumpy and ugly and things were not going well. I saw it once when I was there. Heck, when I was there, I saw him change Harry Dresden killing Justin from Harry killing Justin to Harry accidentally killing Justin. You know, from making a choice to kill him, he drops the gun and it goes off and the bullet kills him. I think it was a voodoo doll and not a gun, but it amounts to the same thing. It was supposed to be an accident. I remember standing there reading it, with Robert Wolfe on one side and the director on the other and Paul Blackthorne right here, and we're sort of reading the script. Paul is the first one to speak. He's a little bit blunt and says, 'I cannot believe this bullshit.' To which I could not help but agree, but I didn't say anything. And Robert's like, 'Well, yeah, I don't like it either but if this is the rewrite, he's the guy who is actually in charge of this.' And the director is like, 'I can't believe it. I can't believe it. This is terrible. This is awful,' you know, writing this huge major character moment into an accident instead of a choice. And they're like, 'Jim, what do you think?' And it's like, I kind of looked at the page and looked up at them and said, 'Guys, I don't know what you're talking about. I can't read my copy. It's all blurry. Maybe there was a bad fax machine.' And they're like, 'Yeah, maybe it was a bad fax machine.' Like I said, I don't work well in that kind of structured situation.

I really like the choice of Paul Blackthorne for Harry. Do you what I do and watch Arrow and expect him to break out magic?

I haven't watched Arrow, so no. That's one of the shows that I'm still getting caught up on. It's next in line after I finish this season of Justified, which is just one of the best written shows on TV. Yeah, is Wayland awesome or what? And Crowder is the best villain ever. Boy, Crowder, he could play Nicodemus, just because he's done so well with (crosstalk). But anyway, yeah, I don't think that way. I think he did a good job. He didn't look anything like Harry in my head but he acted Harry well. Interestingly, the two finalists for that were Paul and Baldwin, Jayne from Firefly, was the other finalist to be Harry. And that would have been kind of cool. I would have loved to see have seen what he would have done with the role, because he could be humiliated well.

I'm given to understand that authors don't really get a lot of say in this, but it's been sixteen or so books. Why do they have the hat? Have you not had a chance to get rid of the hat from the front covers?

Authors don't have a whole lot of say in that. Although you will hear me making jokes about it more and more as the series goes on. Who knows, maybe by the end of it I'll have Dresden get Indy's hat from the Smithsonian or something like that, because it will have so much power and preserve him as an adventurer and lovable rogue.

You've done the Dresden Files RPG tabletop game. Would you consider doing that for Alera, as well, the Alera world, and do some rules for that?

It's okay with me. If somebody wants to do it -- actually, I think Evil Hat is looking at it. Although I think they may be more interested in focusing on Cinder Spires.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 11:27:20 PM by derek »

Offline derek

• Participant
  • Hail Eris
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 04, 2014, 12:06:11 AM »
Jim Butcher Evening at Kiama Library - Part 5

Fred needs (inaudible)

Yeah. Well, yeah, because Fred, he doesn't have a lot to do at Evil Hat. He is having other projects going on. I'm sure he'll just --

(inaudible)

Whatever. The interesting thing about the game is that I'm the one person in the world who can't play the Dresden Files DFRPG. Imagine trying to GM me, because I'm a power gaming weasel. Yes, it is that way. And if necessary, I'll write it that way in the next book. How could you do it? But if I'm the GM, too much like work. I can't really enjoy it. So, yeah, I'm like the one person in the world who can't enjoy it. But you guys should have a good time.

Chorus: We do.

Yeah, I realized my son had gotten to be 21 years old and yet had never actually played Dungeons and Dragons. And I was like, 'Oh, my God. I've failed as a parent. I must fix this.' And so I put together a D&D game for my son and his cousins, and it's actually turning into a couples game now as everybody is getting girlfriends and so on, because if the girl is not nerdy enough to play some D&D, she doesn't deserve my son. But D&D isn't D&D anymore, because D&D 4th edition is terrible, which I was actually one of the play testers for 4th edition, which they already had everything published before they sent things to the play testers so why did they bother to play test. And I wrote them a two word summary of D&D 4th edition, which they did not like at all.

It sucks?

No. My two word summary of D&D 4th edition was "New Coke".

That was how Tracy Hickman described it at GenCon, as well. Exactly the same way.

Yes, exactly. And it crashed and burned. And for D&D Next, they're trying to fix it.

Have you play tested that?

I have been and they're trying to fix it, which I admire. But really D&D got carried forward with Pathfinder and the folks at Paizo, who saw what was going on with 4th edition and said, 'We can make so much money doing it this way.' And they've done pretty well. Go capitalism. I like that part, because I can still play D&D. So, I started running Pathfinder for them but I started running them through the old Caves of Chaos campaign. Because when you play Dungeons and Dragons, you play Caves of Chaos. That's where it starts. That's how it is and ever more shall be. So, I started doing that only I set the game in a zombie apocalypse with the Keep on the Borderlands being the last hold out of humanity, and in order to get in, they had to volunteer to be on the expeditionary force. And the first thing the expeditionary force had to do was go to the Caves of Chaos and try and enlist the green skins in an alliance against the zombies. So Caves of Chaos turned out to be this diplomatic dungeon. And it's a totally different dungeon as diplomacy. It's awesome. A good time was had by all. And we run zombie rules. So, if you're not looking at the zombie -- if there's zombies fifty yards that way, when everybody turns away to look over here and you turn back, here they are, right there. That's the way it works in a zombie world. But you've got to be able to roll with that.

Did you have much input into the choice of the FATE system for the Dresden RPG and how do you feel about that as a system?

The FATE system for the RPG I think is pretty brilliant and folks seem to be having a pretty good time with it. I didn't have a whole lot of input on the game, other than they would ask me questions for hours and hours and hours and I would answer them. I did feel pretty good about the fact that the guys who were putting the game together got so deep into the world lore that they went, 'Wait a minute. If A and B are true, then this C thing must also be true. Is this going to happen in the books?' I'd be like, 'Shut up. Tell no one about that. Tell no one about that. I'm saving that for a surprise.' 'Okay, we'll be quiet.' As far as the game went, I didn't really have a whole lot to do with it. I thought, when I got sent basically final proofs for approval, I thought I was going to be tearing into them and just ripping them to shreds and leaving them just covered in bloody red ink, and instead I was laughing. They had done such a good job that they didn't leave me any room to (inaudible). So, it's like, 'No, I guess you've done your thing. This is kind of awesome, actually. I wish I could play it.'

Do your publishers kind of give you just total freedom with all of your Dresden books or did it start where they kind of went, 'That might be going a bit far.' I'm thinking more Sue in Dead Beat.

No, they never -- my publishers have never -- really, ever since Summer Knight, really, they basically just said, 'You know, we're just going to let this guy do what he does because it seems to be working.' So, these days, no, I don't get -- I get things from my publishers, you know, questions of logic, like can we connect these two logical points that don't seem to match up. Or you forgot this detail from chapter 7 that needs to be carried through to chapter 11. You know, stuff like that, but they never go, 'Jim, this is too much. You can't possibly do this.' Maybe I just haven't gone far enough. You're right. I need to be more horrible to Dresden and his friends. But, no, so far nothing like that.

Two more.

Okay, two more questions.

What happened to (inaudible) Marcone's girl in (inauduble)?

Oh, what happened to coma girl in the hospital? We will find out. Not in Skin Game, but we will find out. And one more. Somebody who hasn't gone yet.

Are there some characters as you've written them that turned have turned out differently? So, if you had a plot and there's some characters you thought would be incidental that as you've written them have become (inaudible)?

Yeah, absolutely. The characters do that kind of stuff all the time. Butters was supposed to be a throw off, one use character that we were going to see in one book. And people liked him so much that when I put up a poll to say who do you want to see more of and I got, 'Butters, Butters, Butters.' So, when Harry went into the book where he was going to be up against a bunch of necromancers and needed a sidekick, and it's like well, why not have the corpse examiner be the sidekick? That really seems appropriate yet completely useless against necromancers, to make Harry's day that much worse and so that made it even better. But yeah, Butters gets some more (inaudible). You'll enjoy that one. Okay, guys, thank you very, very much for being so kind to me this evening.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 12:21:24 AM by derek »

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 04, 2014, 08:36:45 PM »
so...

much...

awesome...
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 05, 2014, 12:05:18 AM »
Thanks for the transcript Derek.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 17, 2014, 01:36:40 AM »
This may not be the right place to post this, but I've put up a transcript of the 5-15-14 interview with Booktalk Nation in this thread.  That way nobody else has to take time to do it.
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #222 on: May 17, 2014, 02:16:42 AM »
This may not be the right place to post this, but I've put up a transcript of the 5-15-14 interview with Booktalk Nation in this thread.  That way nobody else has to take time to do it.

Woah, impressively fast work!  Thank you.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 17, 2014, 03:02:42 AM »

Even more impressive when you know that only about an hour and a half before he posted that, I answered his question of, "how can I help with WoJ stuff" by pointing to the need for a transcript of that interview.

I'm not a bad typist, but it takes me forever to do transcripts for some reason.

Thanks so much 2πr
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Second Aristh

• Posty McPostington
  • Numeromancer
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 17, 2014, 06:05:20 AM »
Even more impressive when you know that only about an hour and a half before he posted that, I answered his question of, "how can I help with WoJ stuff" by pointing to the need for a transcript of that interview.

I'm not a bad typist, but it takes me forever to do transcripts for some reason.

Thanks so much 2πr
No problem.  It was either that, catch up on cleaning, or do PDE's research since summer sessions just started.  We always play harder than we work.  I've never done a transcript before, but I wound up getting into a groove by pausing the video every few seconds to catch up with the typing.  Glad it was only about fifteen minutes long instead of the whole 37.

Also, Priscellie could we add Harry meeting Michael to the Timeline?
How did Michael know about Elaine in Grave Peril?
At that point Michael and Harry had had enough bonding time for Harry to share some things with Michael that he hadn’t shared with anybody else.  He’d actually known Michael for about a year by the time Grave Peril got started. 
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 06:09:00 AM by Second Aristh »
We shall not fail or falter, we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools, and we will finish the job.--Winston Churchill