Author Topic: WoJ transcription help needed + mention new WoJ's here  (Read 139361 times)

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
WoJ transcription help needed + mention new WoJ's here
« on: November 18, 2010, 12:53:08 PM »
Jim Butcher has a lot of interaction with his fans, including on these boards, and a huge amount of it has been archived in the Word of Jim (WoJ) section of these boards.  If you haven't visited them, I highly recommend you do, and in the context of Dresden Files Spoilers, I highly recommend you visit the "DF WoJ compilation" which goes through a lot of trouble to list everything that Jim Butcher has said about the Dresden Files.

There are lots of recordings of Jim Butcher interviews, Q&A sessions, and panels that can only be found in audio or video formats.  These are fun to watch/listen to (after all don't they say that 80% of all communication is non verbal or something like that?), but several people have voiced that they would enjoy text versions better, and others have expressed appreciation for transcriptions that have already been done because of hearing impairment or other reasons that make listening to them impractical. 

There are a LOT of videos and audio clips though, and although I have done some of them, I have found out that a lot of our forum contributors are much more efficient at it.  So if you wish to contribute to the effort, please post your work here, and I will put it in the WoJ forum as well as link to it in the interview list.  Any help is appreciated by myself as well as everyone else that loves to read Word of Jim sources.

It is usually not necessary to point out things Jim Butcher has said on the Forums that are not in the WoJ area.  Those are generally kept where they originate so that discussion can be continued, and I frequently check Jim's recent posts for them using his profile. 

List of Audio & Youtube JB interviews and appearances that need Dictations

2006 Buzzy Multimedia Interview (youtube, well edited) Blampira
2007 FictionRight Interview with JB and his wife Shannon (audio) Blampira
2007 Dragon Page interview audio Blampira
*2007 Cinemafreaks interview of JB and Fred Hicks Audio (interview starts at 31:45)
Dorkgasm interview May 16 2008 on youtube
    Part 1
  |  Part 2  |  Part 3 Icecream
2008 Book signing at some unidentified Boarders each vid is ~1 min with lots of laughing
    "McAnally"  |  "Siblings"  |  "Apocolyptic Trilogy"  |  bob the skull...and scobby doo
LogicMouseLives
Slice of SciFi youtube, Interview starts at 6:49 derek
2008 Seattle Book Signing
    Part 1  |  Part 2  |  Part 3  |  Part 4
Crawker
Interview at NY Comic con with Jim Butcher and Paul Blackthorne (TV HARRY) Crawker
2008 The Dragon Page article (audio podcast) LML
*2008 Comic-Con Q&A session youtube video
    Part 1  |  Part 2  |  Part 3  |  Part 4  |  Part 5
2008 Tor.com Interview Writen interview + short video derek
2009 Barnes & Noble Interview (audio) derek
*2009 Turn Coat Release Party Interview youtube vid
2009 Jim telling story about his dog in Chicago derek
*2009 Dayton Book Signing Q&A youtube video
    Part 1  |  Part 2  |  Part 3  |  Part 4
*2009 Kansas City Public Library Q&A (Audio)
*2009 Mr. Media Radio Interview (Audio)
*2009 Whisper radio interview audio (interview starts at 49:40)
2010 Powells Books Signing Q&A (youtube vid)
    Part 1  |  Part 2  |  Part 3  |  Part 4  |  Part 5  |  Part 6
derek
*2010 Mysterious Galaxy in San Diego on April 9th youtube videos
    Part 1  |  Part 2  |  Part 3  |  Part 4  |  Part 5
2010 Buzzy Multimedia interview youtube video Serack
2010 Dragon Page interview audio LogicMouseLives
2010 Question from Dragoncon video (here's the comic they are talking about) derek
*2010 Dragon Con Q&A session (Part "7" picks up where Part 6 leaves off, but was made by a diff. person who numbered it "8")
    Part 1  |  Part 2  |  Part 3  |  Part 4  |  Part 5  |  Part 6  |  Part "7"
Suduvu interview video crawker
2010 Fantasy authors panel @ NYC Comic con Videos
2010 NovelsAlive interview youtube vid derek
Absent Willow Review interview Written Crawker
2010 SFBC interview @ NYCC youtube video derek
*2010 The Walking Eye Interview about the DFRPG with Fred Hicks (Iago) and Jim podcast audio
2010 Brief Side Jobs interview from his Publisher youtube sjsharks

2011 stuffs:
Marscon Q&A session (youtube) cass
Marscon Panel "Urban Fantasy, is it an ocean or just a wave"
Ghost Story blerb with Jim produced by his Publisherdagaetch
*dailymotion.com interview
Patrick Rothfuss interviews Jim Butcher for SUVUDU (SDCC) Ziggelly
Jim Butcher interviews Patrick Rothfuss for SUVUDU (SDCC) Ziggelly
Gamer's Haven interview(audio)dagaetch
Fast Forward, Contemporary Sciency Fiction interview] (youtube) Serack
2011 Release party Q&A at Kansas City (youtube) (part 5 done by derrek, parts 1-3 done by thelordbeans)
here)
*Atlanta Signing Q&A (large portions of this have been finished here)
*Washington DC signing Q&A (youtube) AcornArmy
NYC Signing Q&A jeditigger
Naperville (Chicago area) Signing Q&A  dagaetch and Serack
Boston Signing Q&A (Last 20 minutes) cass
Bevercreek signing Q&A
The Geek’s Guide to the Galaxy phone interview
Short Story Geeks phone interview

*someone has already offered to take dictations of these (but most of these offers are stale)

One more suggestion
Jim is a lot of fun to listen to, but when you transcribe what he says verbatum it sometimes comes out like this excerpt from the 2011 Marscon Q&A:

Um, and it…almost all of them come from stuff like that. Um, some characters are…I only needed for a minute, some characters that I only needed for a minute were actually too cool and I had to keep them.

But

Almost all of them come from stuff like that.  Some characters that I only needed for a minute were actually too cool and I had to keep them.

Is much more easy to read, yet still stays true to what he was saying.

But doing editing like that might be one of the reasons why it takes me a bit longer to do these transcriptions compared to some other people.  Any work is appreciated.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:56:05 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Example of dictation
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 12:54:12 PM »
Ok this Post is to serve as an example of the Formatting I recomend any dictations take.  The actual dictation will have different forms since some of the above recordings are Q&A's some are interviews, some are pannels.  For Panels I recomend doing the actual dictation in a format similar to Myyrdn's dictation of the Beyond Binary panel from the 2010 Dragon*con.  If a Q&A, I recomend using the format of Bolding questions and leaving JB's answers Unbolded, since that has become a common format on the forums that I have picked up and used in the compilation.

First please change the subject line of your response to the title of the interview/Q&A/pannel thingy (Like I changed this one to "Example of dictation").   The actual example will fall under the Horizontal Lin.  I will do some coding using {} instead of [] to show my recomendations.  And notes will be **surrounded by asterisks (and I can't spell that word)**

Name of recorded WoJ with embeaded link **the easiest way to do this may be to quote the OP and copy and paste it out of that quote**
Transcription by {url=link to your profile}Your name here{/url}

Text of dictation here
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 12:12:00 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
2008 Comic-Con Q&A session
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 12:56:23 PM »
Note:  This is part one.  Will add part 2-5 (and zero) soon.

Dictation by knnn

2008 Comic-Con Q&A session Part 1

Hey Mr. Butcher.  I am a big fan although I am a new fan.  I only discovered you about a month ago, so I’m only on book five. But uh, Harry Dresden - love him {Jim Smiles} and I went and I saw all the TV shows, and I’m out.  Are we going to get any more?  Because I want more. {cheering in the background}

Of the series as it existed on Syfy, I don’t see how it can possibly happen.  Even if somebody wanted it to happen which I’m not sure anyone beyond like the fans want.  On the other hand, if they don’t make anything else, then the rights will eventually revert back to me and I’ll have the chance to see if I can do anything else with it with somebody else.  That doesn’t happen though for another three years, eight months and six days ...not that I’m keeping track. {laughter}  

Thank you.

You’re welcome.

{Next person}

Hey, how are you doing?

All right.  Back to the Aleria [he pronounced wrong, so I'm spelling it this way], I understand that you plan on writing only six books in this series.

Yes.

Have you thought about writing other characters in the same world, because the world is very rich, and a lot of fun?

I’ve given thought to it in several different places.  There’s a lot of things I could do with it.  I’ve kind of vaguely had in mind of the whole “Good Cop, Bad Cop” thing,  with a pair of characters who are formed when the first Marat accidentally bonds to one of Canim.  Which would just be hilarious.  You know it’s like “ The barbarian, and his partner - the nine foot werewolf”.   But,  I don’t know if I’m ever going to get a chance to do that any time soon.  We’ll have to see.  Because I have a lot of other ideas that I want to write, that are cool stories that I could go tell.  I want to write some actual science-ficition science fiction.   With spaceships and gravity and robots and plasma.  You know, I’ve got to think of these science fiction things.  But, we’ll have to see what happens.  Yeah, there’s plenty of room for storytelling in Alera still.  I’m basically just kind of talking about one specific portion of Aleran history, so it’s possible I could do more in the future.  

Thank you.

No problem.

{next person}

Hey.  How are you doing?

How’s it going?

Um, pretty good.

I figured you realize I’m not going to ask you about Aleria.

You didn’t look like, are you dressed as a specific character sir? {Jim Butcher grin}

Oh yeah.  Absolutely.  I would hope you’d know.
My question is about the comic books.  What gave you the idea to step into that genre, and now that they are in comic book form?  I know there’s a four part arc, “welcome to the Jungle”.  Is it going to continue beyond that?  Are we going to continue to see more new characters?

As far as “what gave me the idea”, they called me and said “do you want to do a comic book”? And I said “ok.” {Butcher Grin.  Laughter.}    And, it was about that complicated.  I’ve been a comic book fan for a long time.  I collected a lot when I was younger, and a buddy of mine, Cam Banks who is actually here, I haven’t seen him in a while - there he is {points} actually bought me a copy of a Spiderman issue that got me back into comics again a few years ago.  When the Dabel Brothers came and said “hey.  Do you want to do something”, I said “great”.  And they’re like “OK, we want to do a novelization, here’s what we’ve done with this writer and this writer and that writer”, and I was like “oh, that’s really cool.  Can I get to help?”.  And they’re like “Yeah, you’re going to work with the artist and help approve the characters and scripts and so on.”  “Excellent”.  And they’re like “And we’d really like you to write a 22-page introductory issue before we start Storm Front.”.  “That’s super”.   And then “We talked to some people and they said maybe we should do a 36-page issue.  How would that be?”  and I’m like “Yeah.  Ok”.  And then they’re like “Ok, a 36-page issue, you couldn’t get much of a story in, but if you do two 36-page issues, then it will be like really awesome.”,  and I’m like “Um… ok”  {laughter} And then a couple of days later: “What we really need to do is a full four-issue 32 page each issue story.  And then you could do a whole thing, and how would that be?”  And I’m like “Um…” {laughter} “… this was 22 pages of writing not long ago, and now…  ok.  But no more.  That’s as long a it gets. “  And they’re like “ok”.   So I wrote “Welcome to the Jungle” which is a prequel that takes place just before the beginning of the events of Storm Front.  It was actually inspired by an episode of the TV show.  In the original Pilot, Murphy is talking to Harry at one point, and she is going on about “Ok Dresden, you need a little love.  Look, you’ve helped us out before, you solved this kidnapping at Kilyamet [not sure of the word] Heights, you helped us with the mess at the zoo”, and I went “oooh, that mess at the zoo.  That’s so vague.”  I wanted to call it “that mess at the zoo”, but I’m hampered by an English literature degree, so I dropped some Upton Sinclair quotes into  it, and called it “Welcome to the Jungle”.  That’s where it came from.  And then Storm Front, they’re going to do about 16 issues per novel, and then they’re going to try and sucker me to write another four-issue in between.    Which is kind of convenient, because Harry at the beginning of Fool Moon is talking to Murphy, is like “WE tried to find you last month, but somebody said you were in Minnesota”.  And Harry’s like “Somebody saw something in a lake”.  Now I get to write the story “Somebody saw something in a lake”, that will be in the comics.  But, there we go.  That’s pretty much how it goes.  I’m not actually writing the actual translation of Storm Front, but I’m approving it.   I have to read over all the scripts.  I’m working with the artist where I go, “hey you did this”.  We’ve actually got some brave fan volunteers from the fan boards who get sent art and get to say things like, yeah, like Priscilla right here {points} who gets to say things like “you forgot to put the force ring on his hand”, and “this other detail is gone”, “fix this”, “do that”.  They actually had to send the artist a picture. “Look, Harry’s like six foot seven, or a little bit taller.  Murhpy’s five foot nothing.”  They took a picture of Harry, and had to draw a red line next to his elbow.  “This is how tall Murphy is on Harry” {laughter}, for the artist to go “oh, right, got it.”  Because Murphy had become a six-foot amazon somehow in the initial draft.  That’s what’s going on with that.  There you are.

Thank you very much.

{next person}

Hey, how are you doin?

Hi.  I asked you yesterday at the signing about whether or not Lasciel’s Shadow gets to go to Haven because she redeemed herself, and you said no.  I want to ask you why.

What I said was, that the answer to that is so much more complicated than is easy to give, especially without giving away extra story and ruining the fun.  No.  Lasciel’s spirit didn’t go to heaven.  And now {Singsong voice} I’m not gonna tell you {laugther}.  UOOOH.  That’s like heroin for writers.  That really is.  But it will come out.  It might be a little while.  Be patient, and the story will be there.

{next person}

Hey.  How are you doing?

Hello.  I actually had a question regarding Harry’s growth throughout the Dresden series.  I know how he used to be really, not quite sexist, but sort of pigheaded and chivalrous, and that sort of drains out during the series.  Is that like a growth you just felt had to happen or was that fan mail, or where did it come from?

That’s been fairly organic.  Harry is still way too knee-jerk reactive that way for his own good, but I think being beaten half to death by a number of females as well as having them bail him out of the fire several times, that will do wonders for you.  It doesn’t take too many of those experiences to change your world view a little bit.  Plus, the just development of his relationships with people like Charity and Murphy has sort of changed the way he looks at things.  Plus, he just gets less stupid as he gets older.  Which I think parallels myself.  I really don’t feel like I get all that much smarter, but I do feel I manage to become somewhat less stupid on a steady basis.  So hopefully, that’s what Dresden is doing as well.  

Thank you.

You’re welcome.

{next person}

Hi.

Hi.  How are you?

Good.  A little sweaty.  It’s hot up here.  

Yeah.  Looks like it.

{Lots of laughter as Jim runs his hands through his hair and shakes his head.}

I have a question about did you like the [TV] series.  Because a lot of the fan were not impressed with the series.  I liked it a lot, but what did you think.

Probably about 80% of the episodes I really liked.  I enjoyed a lot.  Generally speaking I enjoyed the series  a lot.  There were some issues, changes they made, quibbles that I was just “yeah, ok.  Somebody got off the line”.  Some of them had very good reasons that disappeared because you never go to see the reason on the screen like Harry’s hockey stick instead of a staff.  Some of the changes they made were like “well, we could do a Blue Beetle, but if we did, we’d have to have a Beetle that came apart in several different pieces. “  To be able to film it you have to have a trick Beetle that falls to bits.  Otherwise,  if you’re in a Volkswagen, you can only shoot somebody from straight ahead or from directly on the side.  “So instead, we’re going to use an open-top Jeep, cause we can use that for anything in the long run and we can’t afford to do a Herbie Car”.  They had like a zillion different Herbies for the Herbie movies.  But, generally speaking I liked it.  My attitude looking back at it is “That could have gone a whole lot worse”.  There were some things they did very well.  Some things not so well.  Some things look better on the DVD than they did on TV because they had more time to do the special effects, and somebody said “you know, we can just make this look better, so let’s do that for the DVD”, and did.  Over all, it could have gone a whole lot worse than it did.  I’m hoping that another time, somebody will do something that is a little bit more like I like, but yeah.   The only thing I really had an issue with was what they did to Bob, but Terrance Mann kind of sold me on it.  Plus, I met him and he’s just a really nice guy, so it was really hard for me to hold that against him.  But he kind of sold me on it by the end of it.  They just kind of rolled Bob and Ebenezer into the same character and said there he is.  Other than that I didn’t have too much of a problem.  Everybody is like “they had a brunette Murphy instead of a blond Murhpy.”  But on the other hand, Valerie Cruz was the only one on the set who’d actually read the entire series .  As far as I was concerned, she was golden in my book.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 06:51:08 PM by knnn »
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Re: Cluster Project, Who's willing to help with JB interview Dictations?
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 01:06:04 PM »
I'm willing to help out.  I think I'll start with 2008 ComicCon (all five parts).

That's one of my favorite WoJ sources.  It's got some of the best Lash info.

P.S.  I recomend anyone who wants to contribute to post like knnn did so that someone else doesn't end up reproducing your work while your still working on it, and then when you are done, go back and modify your post to contain the actual dictation.  (don't forget to change the subject line!!!).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 01:10:44 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Wilder

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 01:17:56 PM »
I'll start at the bottom then with the 2010 DragonCon, I'll do all 6 parts.

DV Wilder v1.2 YR6 FR1 BK++ RP+++ TH++ WG+ CL++ BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy ++, Molly-]

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 02:31:53 PM »
That's one of my favorite WoJ sources.  It's got some of the best Lash info.

P.S.  I recomend anyone who wants to contribute to post like knnn did so that someone else doesn't end up reproducing your work while your still working on it, and then when you are done, go back and modify your post to contain the actual dictation.  (don't forget to change the subject line!!!).
I think you're missing a part of that 2008 Comic-Con Q&A session.
There is this Video out there, that i'm pretty sure is Part 0 of that panel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylKRYe0ZWHo

I've already transcribed part of that here. http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,14868.msg687203.html#msg687203

Sadly I've no time to spare to transcribe more at the moment, but feel free to use what's already there.

Offline knnn

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2010, 02:51:40 PM »
There is this Video out there, that i'm pretty sure is Part 0 of that panel. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylKRYe0ZWHo

I've already transcribed part of that here. http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,14868.msg687203.html#msg687203

Sadly I've no time to spare to transcribe more at the moment, but feel free to use what's already there.

Thanks!  I'll make sure to use it.
DV Geek code:

DV knnn v1.2 YR4 FR3 BK++ RP+ JB+ TH WG+ CL(+) SW++++ BC- MC---(+) SH[Murphy+, Molly+]

Find out your Dresden Files "Purity" score: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2010, 03:18:57 PM »

Thanks for pointing that out to me, great job with the transcription too!  That is probably by far the best telling yet of the story of how he came up with the idea for Codex Alera, I've added the link to the list of interviews.  It's also a pretty good example of how having transcrips is a great tool, but it's always fun watching/listening to the actual original media, because he was so expressive with this story.

man that's a lot of characters, I doubt knnn will be able to fit the whole thing into his earlier post...

P.S.  With the changes in how the forums work, important posts like this can now be lost.  If you know of a post that is already auto locked due to being inactive for too long, and is in danger of being gobbled by the decay factor, there is a sticky in the "Site Suggestions & Support" forum where you can do us all the service of pointing it out to the mods so they can be sure that it gets preserved.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 03:27:41 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Blampira

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2010, 03:47:27 PM »
I'm in, I'll take the top 4 to start with:  

2006 Buzzy Multimedia Interview (youtube, well edited) - Completed
2007 FictionRight Interview with JB and his wife Shannon (audio) - Completed
2007 Dragon Page interview with JB - Completed
2007 Cinemafreaks interview of JB and Fred Hicks Audio (interview starts at 31:45)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 06:03:02 AM by Blampira »

Offline tallgrrl

• Conversationalist
  • I worked hard to find the right grey cat picture!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2010, 04:33:51 PM »
I'll take these

2009 Kansas City Public Library Q&A (Audio)
2009 Mr. Media Radio Interview (Audio)
2009 Whisper radio interview audio (interview starts at 49:40)

If they get to be too much I'll speak up.    That Kansas City one is annoying because it's hard to hear what the audience asks, but I'll do my best.
~~~~~~~~~~~~Real men wear kilts!~~~~~~~~~~~
/// Death before Dishonor… nothing before coffee ///

Offline tallgrrl

• Conversationalist
  • I worked hard to find the right grey cat picture!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2010, 04:55:46 PM »
had trouble tracking what was taken and not... here's this

(Knnn)
I'll start with 2008 ComicCon (all five parts).

(Wilder)
2010 DragonCon, I'll do all 6 parts.

(Blampira)  
I'll take the top 4 to start with:
    2006 Buzzy Multimedia Interview (youtube, well edited)
    2007 FictionRight Interview with JB and his wife Shannon (audio)
    2007 Dragon Page interview audio
    2007 Cinemafreaks interview of JB and Fred Hicks Audio (interview starts at 31:45)

(Tallgrrl)  
I'll take these:
~~~~~~~~~~~~Real men wear kilts!~~~~~~~~~~~
/// Death before Dishonor… nothing before coffee ///

Offline Blampira

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
2006 Buzzy Multimedia Interview
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2010, 05:55:25 PM »
Dictation by Blampira

2006 Buzzy Multimedia Interview

*Terry Bane introduces herself and Jim Butcher for the Buzzy Media Interview*

Terry:  Okay, I just wanna say I finished reading Proven Guilty just a while ago and I have a real quick question before the serious interview:  "Justin's behind everything, isn't he?"
Jim:  Justin's dead...look, look...he's dead, he's dead.

Terry:  Dead, dead?
Jim:  He's dead!

Terry:  Very dead?
Jim:  D-E-D dead.

Terry:  Are you ever gonna change your answer, dead?
Jim:  Dead.

Terry:  Alright:
Jim:  *rolleyes*

Terry:  What was your reaction when you heard that James Marsters, better known as Spike of the Buffy and Angel series was going to be the voice for your books?
Jim:  When I first heard that they'd confirmed it, I was on the phone and I pretty much jumped up and down and said "Yay!"  I did a Snoopy dance, and then learned later that at my age you really oughta stretch out before you do a Snoopy dance.

Terry:  Do you like the way he's doing the voices and giving different personalities to the characters.
Jim:  Oh yeah, he does it really well, I really have enjoyed it.

Terry:  Awesome.  What characters, if any, did you pull on from personal people in your life, like for instance is how close are Frost and Mouse to each other?
Jim:  Oh, uh, my dog Frost is exactly like Mouse if Frost was huge and uh, really secure.  Frost is far tinier and he's totally insecure and uh, he's paranoid about everything, and he's soft and fuzzy and useless in a fight, but other than that, he and Mouse are, uh, exactly the same thing.

Terry:  How do you flesh out a story, what's your writing process?
Jim:  Normally I know where I want...normally I can see what I want the story climax to be ahead of time, so I know more or less where I'm going.  Normally I have three or four things that I want to be sure I hit before I get to the story climax, and then there's usually a bunch of little moments that get thrown in that I want, "Oh, I wanna make sure I get that moment in"...You know, I wanna make sure I get that..the guage okay between Thomas and Harry, because that's the only explanation that possibly makes sense from an outside observer.  Once I know all those things, then I'll also have a general idea of what the plot will be and I'll start figuring out what characters do I need, which of the on going cast will be best suited to showing up and helping.  Then after that I can design any new characters I need to get going and then start writing.

Terry:   Now, this January, the Dresden Files made it to SciFi channel as a TV series, did you get to visit the set and take a look around?
Jim:  Yes, I did.  In Toronto.  It was extremely interesting.  Although I will say that the movie business has got to be one of the most boring businesses to actually work in, in the whole world.  Because everytime they film something they have to film it, then they film it again, and then they film it again.  And then they move all the cameras around...

Terry:  Like three times, maybe... *smiles*
Jim:  And they film it again and again and again.  Yeah, like three times maybe.  And I was there in schedule for like six hours and I got to see them make about 45 seconds of movie.  It's like "Oh my goodness, I can't even imagine!"  So it was really interesting to get go see, everybody was really nice, I got to meet several of the actors, and the crew and producers and so on, and they just seemed like a really great bunch.

Terry:  Who do you read, when you're not writing?
Jim:  Oh, well actually, I have to read while I am writing in order to keep things going, I read all the time.  Robert B. Parker is one of my favorite authors.  I really love Glen Cook's writing.  Lois Bujold.  I still go back to the classics...I read Tolkien and David Edding's 'The Belgariad'.  I go back and read 'The Chronicles of Narnia' and Lloyd Alexander's 'Prydain' books.  I still go back to those.  I loved a lot of the military-esque efforts out these days, John Ringo, David Weber, E.E. Knight.  I've had a good time reading all those authors and I keep up with new authors as well, it's always great to find somebody.  The Naomi Novik's 'Temeraire' series, for example, is totally wonderful, I've really enjoyed those.

Terry:  What do you hope your readers take away from your books?
Jim:  Well, I should probably have loftier goals, I should probably be striving for the betterment of the human condition, but mostly I want them to get done reading the book and go "That was great!  Where's the next one?"  I want people to read my stuff and have a good time reading.  I want them to get to the end of the book and go "Wow, that was a really fun ride".  I want folks to be able to escape into my fantasy world and to play the little movie in their head while their reading it and that's pretty much what I'm looking for.  I mean, I know I'm writing popcorn, but I'm trying to write the best popcorn that there is.

Terry:  Oh, it's awesome, I read them.  Honestly, when your books come out, if they came out at the same time as Harry Potter, I would automatically go to your book first.  I think your books are just a bigger world, a richer world to me.
Jim:  Are you kidding?!  I'd buy Harry Potter.

Terry:  I seriously relate to the characters better.  No, not me, seriously, I'm not just saying it.  I just...honest to god truth.  Where do you see your writing going in the future...like are there more Harry books coming up?  Are you going to finish up the fantasy series?
Jim:  IF they let me, I'll write about 20 books in the Dresden Files and then finish it up with a big ole' Apocalytptic Trilogy.  Who doesn't love apocalytic trilogies?  And I've got another 3 books in my fantasy series that I'm doing right now.  I've got a science fiction series that I'm itching to write.  I'm still developing enough personal management skill to do three books a year, hopefully one day I'll be able to do that.  Right now it isn't working.  And I've also got a number of fantasy series, a got a pretty big epic fantasy series I want to write when I feel I'm a good enough writer to do it.  So, hopefully I can write a truly epic series.  The Dresden Files started out as a class project and now it's this huge thing, it's my main success.  I kinda stumbled over it by accident, almost, so I've just been a little bit lucky and worked pretty hard.  Hopefully, I'll just continue to work as hard as I can and maybe get a little bit lucky and keep going into the future.

Terry:  Alright.  Which character do you think, in the Dresden series, is the hardest one for you to write.  Like who's the hardest mind to get in and out of?
Jim:  Oooh, good question!  The hardest to get into is almost always Murphy.  Karrin Murphy, you know, is a female cop, and it's a very different person than I am.  I'm not especially feminine, perhaps you can tell...*gestures to his beard*...and she was always the most difficult for me to get into her head.  The person who's the most difficult to get out of though is Bob the Skull, because once I unleash the snark, the inner demon of snark that is Bob the Skull, it's awfully difficult to get my lips under control, you know, after I get done with it.  "Maybe I really should be saying that out loud and in public?  Oh yeah, I better reel back on Bob."  It's always awkward.

Terry:  And um, real fast, we heard that Sharon, your wife, has a book coming out next year?
Jim:  Shannon, my wife.  Yes, indeed.

Terry:  Okay, do you wanna give us a name and release date, a little information about that?
Jim:  Her first book is called "No Regrets", it'll be out in February.  It is a romance/suspense book, it's concerning a brave woman being pursued by terrorists because she's the only one smart enough to unlock this information they need, and a Delta Forces operative who's trying to protect her.  I really think she's going to be bigger in romance than I am in fantasy, she's a brave woman and a very talented writer.

Terry:  Excellent, excellent.  And last question, just for fun.  Does Harry dress left or right?
Jim:  Oh, uh...it depends.  Before or after his left hand got horribly burned?  You know, I mean, since then...uh...right.  ;)

*Interview wraps up with a thank you to Jim for taking the time to talk*
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 07:06:57 PM by Blampira »

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2010, 06:02:27 PM »
I'll take these

If they get to be too much I'll speak up.    That Kansas City one is annoying because it's hard to hear what the audience asks, but I'll do my best.

For Q&A's that had a crowd with no mike for the askers, Jim usually repeats back the question for the croud to hear, and I usually just wrote down the "repeated" question as the part I bolded (with some exceptions).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 06:26:12 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Blampira

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
2007 FictionRight Interview with JB and his wife Shannon - Part 1
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2010, 04:19:26 PM »
Had to split this interview into Part 1 & Part 2, due to 20,000 character restriction...
Dictation by Blampira

2007 FictionRight Interview with JB and his wife Shannon

Part 1

*FictionRight.coms intro of Alan Lickiss interviewing Jim & Shannon Butcher @ the Pike's Peak Writers Workshop*

Alan:  Rather than giving a lot of introduction in my words I'd like to hear from their own words:  'Who is Jim Butcher' & 'Who is Shannon Butcher'?
Jim:  Do we have to answer in third person?  Can we say I?  Okay.  I haven't yet reached a point where I can talk about myself in third person.  I'm a gaming nerd who started writing and eventually after about 10 years of trying finally got sold.  Now I put out a series of books called the Dresden Files and there's a tv show on SciFi, and I have another series...a more standard fantasy series, it's out now.  And I did a Spider Man book too which was enormous fun, so I think I've got what, like 11 books out now?  Something like that...

Shannon:  Lots.

Jim:  Yeah, many books, several books, with more coming.  So I'm busy working and people seem to be having a good time and that's pretty much what I do.

Shannon:  And I'm Shannon Butcher.  I write romantic suspense for Warner which is now Grand Central Publishing.  I was an engineer, always wanted to be an engineer, and writing was kinda this detour that was unexpected, but wonderfully fun, and you know Jim taught me the craft and then I kinda figured out that writing was a lot like legos and I always liked legos.  So now I play with writing.

Alan:  Thank you.  You mentioned, Shannon, that Jim got you writing.  Can you tell us how that went about?
Shannon:  Well, uh, he would be looking at a scene or something and pounding his head against the wall saying "This just isn't right."  And I'd read and go "it looks good to me" and so he's like, "no, you just don't know what your'e doing" and I'm like, "well, okay, teach me" ya know?  If I don't know what I'm doing, tell me what to do.  And so he started teaching me writing craft so that I could help him when he got stuck or whatever and eventually it just got to the point where it finally dawned on me that "I" could do this.  And so I turned the craft around, instead of doing what Jim does, the fantasy and urban fantasy and all that, I write romance because that's what I dig.

Alan:  Came to the darkside, huh?
Shannon:  Yeah.

Alan:  And Jim, you mentioned you were a nerd that started writing.  What caused you to start writing?
Jim:  Oh, uh.  I suppose a couple different things.  My senior year in high school I was...this is kind of emblematic of me as a kid...I was cool enough to be skipping class, but I was skipping class to go to the library.  And so I happened to be in the library and Margaret Weis came in and was doing a talk at school and I hadn't known she was gonna be there, but I was skipping class in the library anyway, so why not?  And I listened to her talk and thought, this whole writer thing might be a good time.  And I eventually, uh, when I turned 19, I wrote my first novel and it was terrible.  That's alright, I didn't know it at the time.  Then I started taking some other classes, I was going to the University of Oklahoma and I started taking some of the professional writing courses that were in their journalism department, you know, that were actually taught by novelists who had many novels to their credit.  Eventually, I started listening to those people and when I did I finally wrote a pretty decent book.  That was 7 or 8 novels later though.  So, you know, I've got a whole bunch of books that are uh, I've heard them called 'drawer books' & 'garage books' but I can't find mine on purpose.  I suppose if I go raid some old hard drives that are in my computer morgue I might be able to find them, but I don't know anybody I dislike enough to make read those books.  Anyway, I kept writing and writing and eventually got my work up to a publishable level and wound up going to a convention not unlike this one, only in Missouri, and hooked up with an agent there and she sold my stuff.  And that's pretty much how I got started.  It took me about 10 years, though, from the time I wrote my first novel to the time that I actually sold something.  So I'm kinda the little author that could. 

Alan:  Well, I think a lot of authors go through that same experience, you don't see the overnight successes that people think you see.  Someone has a novel come out and it goes really big but it's been 10 years in the making.  A lot of times....
Jim:  Yeah, exactly.  I think this year was the first year, if you count all the years from when I started writing, this year was the first year I've actually broken minimum wage.  So, yeah, it took a while to get set up.

Alan:  But it sounds like for both of you...is that you've started out with novels, that you didn't go the short story route?
Jim:  No, no.  There's really no...there's so much less of a market for short stories than there used to be...and it really wasn't what I wanted to write.  I'm not very good at writing short stories, they're almost a totally different medium than novels. 

Alan:  They are?
Jim:  Well, you have to do everything in a novel that you do in a short story only you have to do it in much less space.  So you know, I think it's like trying to learn to dance ballet in a closet.  You know, it's a much different thing, much different situation.  I'm sure there are some good closet ballet dancers but uh, you know, I don't know of any.  And I know that I didn't want to try it.  But in any case, I went straight with novels and started from there.  It took a long time to write, I mean, it's not so much of an investment when you're learning to write short stories and you write a terrible short story and you go on to the next one and you learn.  Perhaps that would be the smarter thing and then I wouldn't have 8 books that I want nobody to ever see ever again. 

Alan:  What you said is very true, they're two different entities, novels and short stories, and if you really want to write novels even though you can hone your craft faster on a short story, you learn to write something different.
Jim:  It's true, it's a different set up. 

Alan:  What were your influences, who did you like to read when you were getting started?
Shannon:  Julie Garwood was the person who made me believe romances rocked.  I mean, I'd always scoffed at them.  I started out reading historical romances and then, when I changed over to contemporary romantic suspense, um, a lot of Linda Howard and Elizabeth Lowell, yeah, I love their writing.  That's when I got excited and thought "This is what I want to do". 

Jim:  Me personally, one of the writers that was very influential when I got started was Laurel K Hamilton.  I got done reading 'Guilty Pleasures' the year it was released in '93 and said "Wow, this author really had a lot of fun writing this book".  It wasn't until years later that I actually tried writing something that was sorta in the same vein, I was only writing "swords and horses fantasy" as I always like to call it, that's what I want to write "swords and horses fantasy".  So, authors in that genre that I loved reading were Tolkien and David Eddings, Lloyd Alexander's "Prydain" novels which were actually young adult novels but are still very good books.  "The Chronicles of Narnia" of course, by CS Lewis, and then kinda the bigger books that are out like, um, Elfstones, the Shannara books.  Robert Jordan's books, which I read for a while - until it became to much of a history lesson to catch up on the last book, you know, the last 5 books when he released the new one, it had been 5 years since I've looked at them.  But those were the authors I was looking at when I was getting started.

Alan:  How about now, do you have anyone that you favor, that you like to read because you maybe learn something of their works, from reading their works, or...?
Jim:  Actually, the authors that I love to read now are the ones good enough that I can get into their book and their story without breaking them down.  It gets really hard to try and enjoy a book when you're doing a lot of thinking about of "well, how's the author doing that, let me see, let me take apart how they made this happen" and I much prefer to read a book that is actually a good enough story that I don't ... that I can get out of professional thinking mode.

Shannon:  You don't see the strings attached.

Jim:  Yeah, yes, it's watching the production from the audience versus seeing it from backstage, and if I've gotta watch a book from the wings I don't have as much fun as the people who're sitting out front.  So I much prefer those others, like um, Lois Bujold does that for me a lot.  I, uh, professionally speaking, I wanna have Lois's babies.  And then, I think to pick up new authors, Naomi Novik, I've really enjoyed lately.  Robert B Parker of the Spenser novels, I have to reread those at least once a year...those are probably the 3 big ones lately.  I always forget somebody who's really important and then kick myself later, but that just happens every time, so...

Alan:  How about you, Shannon, in the realm of romantic suspense?
Shannon:  Oh, in romantic suspense I love Suzanne Brockmann and Tara Janzen and Cindy Gerard are some of my favorites.  I'm also getting into paranormal romance and there I really love JR Ward and Sherrilyn Kenyon and Christine Feehan, some of her stuff is just awesome, so...those are some of the books that I hold as rewards to myself for getting my work done. 

Alan:  Ah, a treat for when you get to a point that you've done?
Shannon:  Yes, exactly.   

Alan:  Are you like Jim that you like to be able to not see the strings?
Shannon:  Oh, absolutely.  If the book isn't crafted well enough, or if it's not necessarily my favorite flavor, then I spend too much time thinking about how they wrote it, rather than just enjoying it.

Alan:  You referred to those 'second-read' books, you read it the first time and really enjoyed it but you have to read it again to see "how'd they do that?"
Shannon:  Yeah, "how did they do it?"  Right.

Jim:  Exactly.

Alan:  What is your favorite part about writing?  There's this whole huge process that goes into this, what do you like the most?
Shannon:  Typing "The End!"  *laughs*

Alan:  Cashing the checks... *laughs*
Jim:  Yeah, getting ready to type out "the end" is a great pleasure,  Planning the book out is a great pleasure for me, I like to put ideas together, and there are many ideas in the books that I get to look forward to, "Oooo, I've been looking forward to writing this scene for 'X' number of years", You know in Dead Beat where Harry gets to ride around on a zombie Tyrannosaurus and "Oh!  I've been waiting for years to write that scene with the T Rex".  Well, you know, I really think...how many of us don't know at least one building that would be better for the introduction of a T Rex through the lobby, you know?  Perhaps even an entire campus?  But yeah, I like planning out the big scenes, the ones that I'm looking forward too, the one-liners I've been looking forward to delivering in print for a while.  That's really kinda my favorite part is actually getting to do those bits that I've been wanting to do for a long time. 

Shannon:  I really like the first draft, you know.  To just...I kinda go psycho when I'm writing the first draft and I do it 12-16 hour a day, every day, until it's done.  I love that kind of...living in that creative world, you know, where my brain is all being on the right hand side and happy.  That's probably my favorite part.  And then there's revisions...Dun, dun, dun...

Jim:  Dun, dun, dun...

Alan:  I'm curious, how much you work - you write in different realms, how much do you help   
each other out with plot or revisions, cause you're one of those rare married couples who both write.

Shannon:  We swap...I mean, we talk about ideas over dinner and everything, but that's...it use to be a lot more so, you know, Jim was helping me with my writing and he'd read it and was like, "Well, it was better but..." you know, but now, we're both so busy there's a lot less involvement between our writing than there used to be.

Jim:  Yeah.

Alan:  What she said?
Jim:  Yeah, what she said.  We kinda threw ideas back and forth sometimes when we were in the car or we'll complain to one another about 'how I can't get this part to work right' or 'I can't believe the editor wants me to change this', but we don't actually do a lot of the working together on books because we wanna stay married.

Shannon:  Yeah.  We wouldn't know how to split the money in the divorce, so...

Jim:  Yeah, exactly.

Shannon:  It's easier this way.

Jim:  Yep.

*laughter*

Alan:  I noticed Jim that on your website that you have a podcast, can you tell our listeners about that?
Jim:  Uh, well, it's not my podcast, it's Fred Hick's podcast.  It's called "The Butcher Block" and it's about all things Jim Butcher.  It's an unfortunately named podcast but Fred liked it so, you know, his call.  Fred is a good friend of mine from my college days and was a Harry Dresden fan years before the books were ever published.  He's also the one, the owner of Evil Hat Games, who's putting out the Dresden Files Role Playing Game.

Shannon:  Yay!

Jim:  Yeah, and so, Fred has the podcast that he runs and Fred is one of these guys who is just manic obsessive about everything he's doing, so you know, every once in a while he'll cycle around and this time out it'll be the podcast he'll be manic obsessive about and next time it'll be back to the game manic obsessive, or back to the website - manic obsessive about that.  And he get's a ferocious and fearsome amount of work done when he does that.  Lately, it's the podcasts has been the new thing, so he's put out several issues of the podcast with the (tv) show coming out and there's been a big insurge of new fans, so he wanted to have something there that would be for all the folks that were new, something immediately available for them to kinda get into and listen to.  I've been on an issue or two talking about the show and he's gone and talked to other folks and artists and some of his fellow gaming authors who are putting together the game ... and so that's "The Butcher Block" and you can find it at jim-butcher.com.

Alan:  We'll be posting a link on our podcast website.
Jim:  Oh, cool.  Thank you.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 06:04:52 AM by Blampira »

Offline Blampira

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Part 2 of 2007 FictionRight Interview with JB and his wife Shannon
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2010, 04:22:59 PM »
2007 FictionRight Interview with JB and his wife Shannon...continued

Part 2

Alan:  Actually, 'cause you mentioned the show and I'm sure a lot of people are interested, I'm curious.  Did Hollywood come to you or did your agent seek them out?
Jim:  No, they came to me.  Morgan Gendel sent me an email and uh, Morgan Gendel, of course he was a writer who one a Hugo Award for the episode of StarTrek: The Next Generation where Picard gets zapped by the probe and lives a whole life on another planet and then wakes up ten minutes later on the Enterprise.  You know, he got a Hugo Award without blowing anything up and that's impressive.  But he came, he was the one who said "hey, I wanna...I'd like to get this for a show, you know, I'd like to take out an option for that" and what I heard was "I would like to help pay for your family's health care" and I said, "Okay, I'm down with that".  So I sold him the option and he went and took it to Saturn Films and Lionsgate and they liked it, so they took it to SciFi and they finally sold it to SciFi and now it's a tv show.  Yeah, mostly my participation in that was to be on the other end of the phone and go "Okay".  I do that alot.

Alan:  So do you have any involvement with the tv show?
Jim:  Officially, no.  Unofficially, I get along really well with Robert Wolfe, I just kinda hit it off with Robert, so I helped him...when he was putting together the series bible, I was sending him information that I used as background for the books so he could use it as background for the show as well.  They were sending me scripts and I was sending back feedback and they actually made some changes based on my feedback, so you know, I actually participated.  I haven't had, in some of the more recent stuff they've, I haven't had as much work in but I was actually on the set for the pilot, I actually appeared in an episode of the show.  I play like Butter's assistant, you know, help him carry in a coffin and open it up.  I don't say anything.  I'm like Igor - but with no lines. 

Alan: *laughs*  I'll have to go back and look for that.
Jim:  Yeah, I'm there for like, it's a second and a half that I'm on screen, but there I am.  Anyway, I think the most insidious thing I've done is I sent up free copies of my books to the cast and crew, so that's sort of my viral input, you know, have everyone read the books and it stay there.

Alan:  Now, Jim's way too calm about this and I have to ask Shannon...so how far off the floor was he when the deal went through and they started doing all this stuff?
Shannon:  You know, Jim is funny.  He responds to these wonderful things like movie options and tv shows and NY Times bestseller with this kind of 'calm - shell-shocked - not really sure what to do about it - trying to absorb it' kind of way, and he says "Let's go to Burger King!" because that's his celebration restaurant of choice.  *laughs*

Jim:  Yes, I celebrated all my small triumphs when I was trying to get out and when I was trying to become a writer.  You know, I'd get a manuscript done and say "Let's go to Burger King" 'cause that's what we could afford.  So now it's like "Hey, you've got a tv show" / "Let's go to Burger King" you know?  I'm a creature of habit.  I probably should have been bouncing up and down many of these times but it's always just been so...

Shannon:  You're too tired...

Jim:  Yeah, really, of late, it really has been.  "You've made the NY Times bestseller list, how're you gonna celebrate?" / "I'm gonna go home and put on my jammies and not take them off all day, that's how I'm going to celebrate.  I'm exhausted from this tour." 

Alan: Okay, I'd like to close up by asking about your current projects.  I know that your 9th Dresden book is out, it just came out in hardback, your Alera series you have your 4th book is coming out in December...and Shannon, you've got 3 novels from your...I didn't notice if they were a series...?
Shannon:  Just two right now, the 1st one came out in February, it's called "No Regrets"; the 2nd one comes out next February, it's called "No Control"; and then I'm working on the proposal for the 3rd one which will be entitled "No Escape" but that one hasn't been sold yet.  I'm also working on a paranormal romance series, which I'm really excited about.  It'll be a lot more the kind of thing Jim's fans reads but still very firmly routed in the whole romance genre, so I'm really excited about that, that's gonna be a fantastic project.  Most fun I've ever had was writing that first book.

Jim:  She's got a bent and twisted mind for the supernatural bad guy and I want to steal them and she won't let me...

Shannon:  Nope, you can't have them, they're mine, mine, mine...

Jim:  Yep.

Alan:  *laughs*  Jim, any current projects that you're currently working on, aside from the tour?
Jim:  Yeah, I just did my big multi-state tour, which I just got done with and which was very strange.  There were many hotels and airports and bookstores.  But I've got the next Dresden...uh, I've just got finished with the 4th Codex Alera book.  I'm working on the 10th Dresden book now and then I've got to get the 5th Codex Alera book done by December or so, so I'm kinda busy.  I'm also doing several short stories for some anthologies that I signed up for, so I've got that - like I did "The Big Fat Supernatural Wedding" anthology last year and it was so successful that they're doing a follow-up called "The Big Fat Supernatural Honeymoon" anthology, so I'm working on that now.  And then after...there's gonna be 6 Alera books and after I get the last Alera book done, then I'm gonna try my hand at some actual 'science fiction' science fiction, which should be fun.

Alan:  Excellent.
Shannon:  It's an awesome book, we've read the first half or so and he's left us hanging...

Jim:  Yeah, I had to stop.  I had to stop the book with my hero having ejected from his ship whose core was about to explode, with a bad guy chasing him, in a decaying orbit over the surface of the moon, with a solar flare coming on that would roast him...and he's been there for like two years...you know, just because I had to stop to be working on other stuff and so everybody's screaming at me like "Jim, hurry up and get him out of orbit!"

Shannon:  Yeah, I don't even like science fiction and it's awesome.  It's very cool.

Alan:  Any last words you'd care to share with the listeners? 
Shannon:  Uh.....No?!  *laughs*

Alan:  That's good, that's fine.  I know you've covered a lot of ground and I know sometimes you'll do a lot of interviews but there's always a question you want to get asked but no one ever asks you.
Shannon:  Right.

Jim:  Right.  Well for the folks who are reading, who are the aspiring writers, "Write, write, write!"  Sometimes it takes a long time to get in, it took me nearly 10 years.   I had to get all Captain Ahab about the whole thing.  Whatever it takes to keep yourself motivated, do it.  Get in there and keep going.  Writing is really one of those deals where you're not really competing with the other established authors who're out there, because the publishers have to put out new authors every year, because if they don't they'll run out of authors.  So really, you only have to compete with the other noobies.  It's one of those situations where you and a friend are both running away from the bear and the friend says "We're never gonna outrun the bear" and you say "I don't have to outrun the bear, I just have to outrun you".  And really, that's the kind of situation new authors are in, so if you hang in there long enough, keep honing your skills long enough, eventually you'll be better than the other noobies who are coming out that year.  So...hang in there.  Keep practicing.  Keep writing. 

Shannon:  And the other benefit of writing a lot, which is kinda unexpected, is that you know, if you get rejected it doesn't hurt nearly as much to get rejected on a book if you've got 3 more in the wings that you're working on.  So that's kind of a nice benefit to high quantities of output.

*Interview wraps up with Alan thanking Jim and Shannon*

« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 05:56:32 AM by Blampira »