Author Topic: Custom Spell Compilation Thread  (Read 34709 times)

Offline jybil178

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Spell Compilation Thread
« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2011, 08:04:36 AM »
Sorry to come to this so late: this ritual may be woefully underpriced. Each of those Maneuvers should cost 4 shifts (total of 20 shifts before Duration is factored in) if they are meant to place a Sticky Aspect that would last the entire Duration.

Another thing about it though, is not only is it a little under priced, but you may also only Tag each of those aspects once. You'll need to Invoke them after they get tagged... So if he doesn't want to go and spend a lot of fate points, could he cut some of the cost down, by like one per maneuver if he just makes them Fragile aspects?  And do i keep coming off as an asshole when I come in and say these things? >.< don't mean to if I do...
my 2 cents

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2011, 04:56:49 PM »
Another thing about it though, is not only is it a little under priced, but you may also only Tag each of those aspects once. You'll need to Invoke them after they get tagged... So if he doesn't want to go and spend a lot of fate points, could he cut some of the cost down, by like one per maneuver if he just makes them Fragile aspects? 

He doesn't want them to be fragile - he wants them to be Sticky so they last the entire scene, unless he plans to tag them in the same scene he casts the Thaumaturgy spell. And the purpose of making so many of these Sticky Maneuvers is so that he can expend them, one at a time, as needed, for free tags without resorting to Fate Points.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline jybil178

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2011, 08:32:25 PM »
He doesn't want them to be fragile - he wants them to be Sticky so they last the entire scene, unless he plans to tag them in the same scene he casts the Thaumaturgy spell. And the purpose of making so many of these Sticky Maneuvers is so that he can expend them, one at a time, as needed, for free tags without resorting to Fate Points.

I think I got most of his intentions... The only reason I mentioned letting them stay as Fragile, was because I think I misunderstood what all that entails.  I thought that if you made the aspect last a little while, it would stay just fine.  I thought being a fragile aspect only means that the aspect could be tagged once, then disappear.  I guess it makes sense that a fragile aspect would also have the problem of not hanging around for long after its been placed..
my 2 cents

Offline dresdencodex

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2011, 01:54:33 AM »
i was wondering about asking my GM about adding a growth magic to my half summer changling. basically he super charges the dormant viruses and or germs in an enemies body and for lackof a better comparison poisons them. He could also be used as a healer in a pinch( growing gashes shut hurts like a b!tch). does any of this seem plausible due to summer being assciated with growth magic

Offline Tush Hog

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2011, 02:41:05 PM »
Well, there was this thread where we started to compile spells

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,19090.0.html

But I will post the spells I posted there in this resource thread, too.

Name: Faerie Fire
Type: Spirit or Fire Evocation, Maneuver
Power: 5 shifts - 3 for maneuver, 2 for extended duration.
Duration: 3 exchanges
Area: One target
Resisted by: Athletics
Effect: The target gets engulfed in faerie fire making them very conspicuous and easier to hit. Target has the aspect "Outlined in faerie fire" placed on them.

Name: Rain Ward
Type: Water Evocation, Maneuver
Power: 3 shifts
Duration: One scene
Area: Personal
Effect: even in the strongest of storms, raindrops avoid the spellcaster. The aspect "Rain repellant" is placed on the target.

Name: Cloudkill
Type: Air Evocation, Attack
Power: 8 shifts - 5 weapon, 2 for zone
Duration: One action
Area: One zone
Effect: Produces poisonous cloud (Weapon 5 attack) on an entire zone which will then dissipate.

Name: Stoneskin
Type: Earth Evocation, Block
Power: 7 shifts - 6 for block, 1 for duration
Duration: 2 exchanges
Area: Personal
Effect: Targets body takes on the hardness of stone for the purpose of absorbing damage. Target has Armor of 3 for 2 exchanges.

Name: Zone of Truth
Type: Spirit Evocation, Block
Power: 5 shifts - 3 for block, 2 to effect the entire zone
Duration: 1 exchange
Effect: spell creates a block against Deceit that encompasses the entire zone.

Name: Springtime
Type: Air Evocation, Maneuver
Power: 7 shifts - 3 maneuver, 2 for zone, 2 for duration
Duration: 3 exchanges
Effect: Spell causes temperature to warm, ice to melt, the sun to shine brightly and flowers to bloom. Places the aspect "Spring has Sprung" on the zone for 3 exchanges.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2011, 06:27:41 PM »
Summer magic can definitely cause growth.

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2011, 12:21:49 PM »
Sorry to come to this so late: this ritual may be woefully underpriced. Each of those Maneuvers should cost 4 shifts (total of 20 shifts before Duration is factored in) if they are meant to place a Sticky Aspect that would last the entire Duration.

Are you sure?  I'm not sure if there's a mention of sticky-ness with regards to thaumaturgy-placed aspects; won't they just remain until they are free-tagged?   The maneuvers are all placed on the caster, so there's no worry about them being resisted; why would they necessarily need to be 4 shifts instead of, say, 3?  (they currently 2 shifts/complexity each)

Hmmm.... there's a "minimum of three shifts to place an aspect" rule somewhere, isn't there?  Anyone know where it is?
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2011, 06:47:02 PM »
From a villain posted at http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,24639.0.html.  The power of these rotes are low because the caster only has a conviction of Average (low self imagine), but she does have a focus item to add to power.

Name: Phantom B-Slap
Type: Air Evocation, Attack
Power: 1
Duration: 1 exchanges
Resisted by: Athletics
It feels like the air just slapped you.  It's a weapon 1 attack that needs to be targeted.  It's not very effective in combat but it gets her point across to uppity models.

Name: Goose
Type: Air Evocation, Maneuver
Power: 3 shifts for the maneuver
Duration: 1 exchange
Effect: Linked to her ear stud, this rote is a Power 3 maneuver that gives the social Aspect 'Goosed' as the air squeezes an inappropriate part of the target's body.  If the target is unaware that he/she is the subject of a magical attack then the target will often blame the person next to them for the inappropriate touching.  Often used by its inventor on pretty girls while they are on stage (models working the catwalk, beauty pageant contestants walking across the stage, girls who are in the band because of their looks rather than their singing or talent - that sort of thing) just to shake their composure.

Name: Monique's Model Maker:
Type: Thaumaturgy, Transformation and Disruption Maneuver
Complexity: 9 - 11 (depending on how good she wants you to look - upper limit of 15)
Duration: one week
Effect:  Since the change isn't permanent the target doesn't have to be taken out.  That's the good part.  The bad part? To make it last a week it needs 7 shifts for duration.  Added to that is the base effect.  The Aspect of "Looks Good Enough To Model" is probably 2 or 4 shifts.  I'd probably view the increase in looks on the same scale as consequences with "a bit better" being mild, "a lot better" being moderate, and "this woman now owns the cover of every magazine in the world - someone get her an acting role!" as extreme.  That's 9 to 11 shifts for preparation and Monique's base is only 3.
That means that a big chunk of the income each model earns goes to buying things and otherwise making preparations for this spell.  Sometimes they'll even take a mild physical consequence to help get the spell going.  (Monica was raised with pain, trained with pain, and now Monique has no problems with sharing a bit of pain with those worthless girls who worship at the alter of beauty.  As long as the bruising fades before the next modelling gig or are somewhere no one can see them then it's all good in Monique's eyes.)
Note that this maneuver doesn't add to Presence or any other social skill and it might cause a bit of a drop in Conviction over prolonged use.  After all, thinking "I only matter when I look good and I only look good because of that spell" isn't good for the old self image.

These spells seem a bit weird, but they fit in with the twisted mindset of their inventor - who went from being a child beauty queen to a teenage girl "mentored" by a real creep to a "just in it for the money" low powered sorceress.

Richard

Offline bitterpill

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2011, 06:20:45 PM »
Name: Flash aaah
Type: Spirit Evocation, Attack
Power: 5
Duration: Instant
Area: 1 zone
Resisted by: Endurance
Effect: A bright light of a horrific radiance fills the area potentially causing exquisite amounts of pain and permanant blindness.

Name: Crushing Air
Type: Air Evocation, Grapple
Power: 7
Duration: 1 turn
Area: Target
Resisted: Might
Effect: You increase the air pressure around your enemy a hundred fold and thus to move the enemy has to move several times his own body weight in air.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 06:26:02 PM by bitterpill »
"Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all"  Vogon Captain

Offline Mindflayer94

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2011, 11:19:45 PM »
A young (by which I mean under 12) sorcerer created these spells, his mind fixated on his favorite children's card game. When his parents don't buy him the latest toys or cards, he conjures these effects. Who knows how far it will go? If no one stops it that is.

Tear Through The Lighting
Type: Fire [Destruction] Evocation; Offensive Attack
Power: varies; 10 shifts is typical (8 for weapon, and 2 for area)
Control: Roll discipline plus appropriate specializations and focus items
Target: All creatures within a zone within sight
Opposed By: Athletics
Effects: Produces a giant arc of lightning (Weapon: 8 ) tearing through the zone.

Dark Hole
Type: Spirit/Force Evocation; Maneuver
Power: 5 (3 for the aspect and 2 for duration)
Control: Roll discipline plus appropriate specializations and focus items
Target: A zone
Effects: Creates the sticky scene aspect: Hole From Which There Is No Return.

DV Mindflayer94 v1.2 YR3 FR2 BK+++ RP++++ JB TH++++ WG+ CL--- SW BC++ !MC SH[Murphy+++]

Offline Michael Sandy

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2011, 09:48:53 AM »
A player in my campaign has a real mad on for Black Court Vampires, and has a rote spell to create a circle of flowing water around the target.

It puts the sticky aspect of "Surrounded by flowing water" on the target, with the result that if the target is a Black Court vampire, it will not be able to move.  Initial targeting is versus athletics to dodge the evocation, but to break out of the watery circle a Black Court vampire would have to roll their conviction, spend fate points, or both.

Everybody else would just step over the flowing water.  But in an encounter where you want to lock a Black Court vampire in one place in one zone, it is cheap and effective snare.

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2011, 11:06:51 AM »
A player in my campaign has a real mad on for Black Court Vampires, and has a rote spell to create a circle of flowing water around the target.

It puts the sticky aspect of "Surrounded by flowing water" on the target, with the result that if the target is a Black Court vampire, it will not be able to move.  Initial targeting is versus athletics to dodge the evocation, but to break out of the watery circle a Black Court vampire would have to roll their conviction, spend fate points, or both.

Everybody else would just step over the flowing water.  But in an encounter where you want to lock a Black Court vampire in one place in one zone, it is cheap and effective snare.

Probably works pretty good for locking down other Casters, as well?  Block versus all of their casting at power, possibly an aspect to tag as well, if they try to move through it?  Hell technically you do that spell, in a big area as a zone border, with a fate point and suddenly their magic can't escape and they probably can't gather much power to do evocation, send in uber beat stick to break said mage over his knee. . .

Offline sandchigger

• Conversationalist
  • His Holiness, the Chigg
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2011, 03:26:10 PM »

How do you create a circle of flowing water? Once it's created, it's water and behaves like water. So if there's not a moat already around the BCV it's gonna soak into the ground or run downhill or whatever. Right?
I may well be silly, but I am never moronic.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2011, 05:59:10 PM »
How do you create a circle of flowing water? Once it's created, it's water and behaves like water. So if there's not a moat already around the BCV it's gonna soak into the ground or run downhill or whatever. Right?

Since water includes dissolution, I was taking for granted that it created a little moat or something. If someone was continuing to pump power/duration into it, I might also be open to an actual ring of water hovering in place, unnaturally.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline sandchigger

• Conversationalist
  • His Holiness, the Chigg
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2011, 07:49:35 PM »
Ah, so you use water's entropic abilities to dissolve the floor they're standing on and make a little moat. I'm not sure I'd count that as "running" water without duration, but I'm kinda a douche. :)
I may well be silly, but I am never moronic.