Author Topic: Flash Fiction  (Read 2613 times)

Offline King of De Nile

• Conversationalist
  • Are your feet wet? And can you see the pyramids?
    • View Profile
Flash Fiction
« on: March 15, 2007, 01:49:23 PM »
I saw this mentioned once in the wordcount thread, but just in a passing way. I've been considering a try at writing some flash fiction in between drafts of my longer works as a way to clear my head before I revise. But I hate doing things that wouldn't be productive, so I want to write good flash fiction. To do that, I need to read more than I have (not hard, I've only read 3 or 4). Does anyone here read or write flash fiction, and if so, where would be a good place to ground myself in it? I'm afraid to pick a random source, because how do I know their relative quality? Thanks, y'all!
Our garden was debated territory between five local cats, and we'd heard that the best way to keep other cats out of the garden was to have one yourself. A moment's rational thought here will spot the slight flaw in this reasoning.      --Terry Pratchett

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Re: Flash Fiction
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2007, 07:28:11 PM »
I saw this mentioned once in the wordcount thread, but just in a passing way. I've been considering a try at writing some flash fiction in between drafts of my longer works as a way to clear my head before I revise. But I hate doing things that wouldn't be productive, so I want to write good flash fiction. To do that, I need to read more than I have (not hard, I've only read 3 or 4). Does anyone here read or write flash fiction, and if so, where would be a good place to ground myself in it? I'm afraid to pick a random source, because how do I know their relative quality? Thanks, y'all!

If you want really good really really short pieces, Locus, the professional journal of the SF field, does single-para filler SF news items at the bottom of review pages, which tend to be excellent in an off-the-wall sort of way.

Also, Nature for a couple of years ran a series of one-page SF stories from some of the best writers in the field, including some real gems, and I believe that a collected volume of those is coming out pretty soon.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2007, 07:30:44 PM by neurovore »
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Cyclone Jack

• Conversationalist
  • Hallucinatin' Hack
    • View Profile
    • Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 04:10:12 PM »

Ideomancer

Flashquake

A word of warning: flash is hard;D
But I'm still right here,
    giving blood, keeping faith,
and I'm still right here.

-- Tool, The Patient

Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale

Offline WonderandAwe

• Conversationalist
  • Stranger in the Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 05:09:54 PM »
I looked at the flashquake site and submitted something.  Hopefully I get good comments back from the editors. :)

Offline Cyclone Jack

• Conversationalist
  • Hallucinatin' Hack
    • View Profile
    • Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 05:17:43 PM »
I looked at the flashquake site and submitted something.  Hopefully I get good comments back from the editors. :)

Best of luck! :)
But I'm still right here,
    giving blood, keeping faith,
and I'm still right here.

-- Tool, The Patient

Market Theocracy: New & Used Gods For Sale