Author Topic: Ranged Grappling as a power, not a spell?  (Read 1250 times)

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Ranged Grappling as a power, not a spell?
« on: May 19, 2012, 07:57:31 AM »
Hello all,
I was wondering how you would design a power to create a ranged grapple power without using Evocation/Channel which is the normal way to do it. 

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
Re: Ranged Grappling as a power, not a spell?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 09:19:59 AM »
I'd modify Breath Weapon.
Replace the attack option with the ability to create single-target offensive blocks, that, with the presence of an appropriate aspect (such as one created via the still-present maneuver option of the power), when sustained over multiple rounds, allow the usual grapple supplemental actions.

That'd be a quick version, anyway.  I'm sure it could use some tweaking.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 02:37:50 PM »
I was wondering how you would design a power to create a ranged grapple power without using Evocation/Channel which is the normal way to do it.
Here's an initial draft.  Needs a bit of work still.  Actually it probably needs an entire rewrite of at least one power.  I tend to create via revision.   ;)

Flesh Tyranny
Description: You coerce an individual's muscles, bones, and even blood locking them in place or causing damage for a time.
Notes: Targets must be living beings. This has no effect on constructs and a reduced effect on undead. Range is normally two zones but may be extended by taking a -1 per additional zone.
Skills Affected: Conviction, Discipline, Presence.
Effects:
- Oppression of Flesh. With concentration you can lock and individual's muscles in place, preventing them from moving. Use Conviction to establish and maintain your movement block. Targets oppose it with Athletics, Might, or movement related skills.
- Subjection of Blood. You cause damage by slowing and stiffening a target's blood. (Does not affect undead.) Use Discipline to cause damage, normally resisted by Endurance or Might.
- Cruelty of Bone. By concentrating on locking the victim's skeletal structure together you make movement slow and painful. (Effect is halved against undead.) Use Discipline to reduce a target's movement by two for half Presence (round down) exchanges.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 07:14:02 PM »
telekinesis.

A stunt for a whip user or net user.

Frog Tongues and Tentacles >< !!!

Everything listed so far.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 09:05:40 PM »
You could achieve the same effect with a Lasso or a net without a power.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 09:27:30 PM »
telekinesis.

A stunt for a whip user or net user.

Frog Tongues and Tentacles >< !!!

Everything listed so far.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 05:02:14 AM »
If you look on the Custom Power list, you'll find a bunch of stuff that might be helpful.

I suggest you look at Long Reach, Telekinesis, Captivate, and Reality Warper. Long Reach is probably your best bet, but the others also allow grapples at range.

Pretty sure we also have a stunt or two on the list that deals with lassos and stuff.

Flesh Tyranny does not look good to me. Its effects are messy, so to speak. Too many skills involved for no clear reason, effects too specific, and some parts not clear. Also, the disclaimer about constructs and undead is probably a mistake. Some undead and some constructs would be vulnerable to this, while some living things would not. I suggest leaving the power unrestricted and unflavoured, and letting people determine what should be vulnerable to it in-game with Compels.