Author Topic: Catch Math  (Read 2058 times)

Offline zerogain

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files: Seattle
Catch Math
« on: October 21, 2010, 11:31:32 AM »
I am unclear as to whether or not the Catch refresh bonus is applied only once overall or once for each power it functions on.  The character has Superhuman Toughness and Superhuman Recovery (totaling -8) and the Catch rates out at +2, and it applies to both powers.  Would the total cost be -6 or -4?

Offline babel2uk

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Catch Math
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 11:56:19 AM »
+6.

The catch cost is applied once to the sum total of the power cost. If you take Physical Immunity as well as the Tougness and Recovery, you can take a stacked catch (one which applies only to the Physical Immunity, but which adds to the rebate from the first catch.)

The example in the book gives a stacked catch with a 5 point rebate, so using that example and your example above:

Supernatural Toughness + Supernatural Recovery = 8
Physical Immunity = 8
Total = 16

Catch for Toughness and Recovery = 2
Catch for Immunity = 5
Total = 7

16 - 9 = 9

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 01:38:28 PM »
OK, so if I've got a player who wants a weretiger sniper with Supernatural Toughness and Supernatural Recovery, and the catch is silver, it'd go like this:

Sup. Toughness & Recovery = -8 refresh
The Catch (silver, +2 for availability, +2 because EVERYONE knows silver kills were...thingys): +4 refresh
Total: -4 refresh ?

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 02:44:36 PM »
OK, so if I've got a player who wants a weretiger sniper with Supernatural Toughness and Supernatural Recovery, and the catch is silver, it'd go like this:

Sup. Toughness & Recovery = -8 refresh
The Catch (silver, +2 for availability, +2 because EVERYONE knows silver kills were...thingys): +4 refresh
Total: -4 refresh ?
Correct.

Offline MijRai

• Posty McPostington
  • "For my next trick, anvils."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 04:33:00 PM »
I think a Catch Listing should be done. Just a big ole list of Catches, and how much they are worth if they protect against all but that, or that alone.
Don't make me drop a turkey on you...

DV MijRai v1.2 YR 1 FR 1 BK+++ JB+ TH++ !WG CL SW BC+ RP++++ MC+++ SHMolly++;Murphy+

Offline ralexs1991

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 06:57:11 PM »
I think a Catch Listing should be done. Just a big ole list of Catches, and how much they are worth if they protect against all but that, or that alone.

actually i think that sounds like a perfect idea
Oh, hi, Mr. Warden!  How are you this fine day?  My, what a shiny sword you have there...

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 06:57:47 PM »
I think that your silver Catch would be +3 (+1 for availability) because bypassing the Catch would require the creature to take damage from a silver-based attack.  And while anyone could pick up a silver necklace at the local mall, the necklace just isn't capable of causing damage unless it's hurled with magic (a rare combination).  It's harder to come by heavy silver statues (to use as a club) or silver swords (which are difficult to make weapon-quality) or silver bullets.

I'm not terribly fond of the way the Catch math works -- that is, I don't like how it's a constant offset regardless of the size of the power it applies to (limited only by a minimum net cost of -1 refresh for powers).  It would make more sense to me if the discount was scaled rather than constant.  For example, a Catch that's fairly unlikely to come into play (the equivalent of a +1 or maybe +2 Catch) might give a 25% discount, which would still be worth +1 for Inhuman Toughness, but would be worth +3 for Mythic Toughness and Mythic Recovery taken together.  Or a major weakness (the equivalent of a +4 Catch) might give a 75% discount, which could be worth up to +9 for both Mythic powers (but everyone who sees you runs immediately to the hardware store to pick up an assortment of iron tools).

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 07:43:01 PM »
I think that your silver Catch would be +3 (+1 for availability) because bypassing the Catch would require the creature to take damage from a silver-based attack.  And while anyone could pick up a silver necklace at the local mall, the necklace just isn't capable of causing damage unless it's hurled with magic (a rare combination).  It's harder to come by heavy silver statues (to use as a club) or silver swords (which are difficult to make weapon-quality) or silver bullets.

That's a good point, but I'm running pretty balls out with Catches in my game.  If you wrap that silver necklace around your fist, I'd let you beat a werewolf to death.  IMO that pushes the Catch into +2 for availability.  However, I fully agree that a silver WEAPON would be uncommon enough to fall under the +1 discount.