Author Topic: Starting Out  (Read 3109 times)

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
Starting Out
« on: October 10, 2010, 07:04:22 AM »
Is it considered a bad idea in the writer's world to think up a book as you go along, instead of planning it out beforehand? Because I had an idea for a story and was going to do some writing, but I wasn't sure if I need a general outline or anything like that. Advice/comments welcome.
Is it just me or is it getting a little solipsistic in here?

Offline OZ

• Posty McPostington
  • Great and Terrible
    • View Profile
Re: Starting Out
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 08:51:42 AM »
It is usually considered a bad idea but everyone does it differently. Try it. If it works for you, you will be the exception but it would be a shame to never try. Most authors, if they don't have some plan in advance, will wander.
How do you know you have a good book?  It's 3am and you think "Just one more chapter!"

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 01:01:19 PM »
It's not uncommon, in my experience.  I've found it helpful to have a general overview of where I want to go, at least where I want to end up, but I never write complete plot outlines or go chapter by chapter and figure out what I want to have happen in each.  Doing that takes half the fun out of writing, for me.  I like not being entirely sure what's going to happen next, I like finding out as my characters do.  I end up doing a lot more rewriting, but as long as I enjoy it, that's all that matters.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline RobJN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Storybook Factory
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 01:06:19 PM »
Write by the seat of your pants, or outline the heck out of everything before you jump in -- JUST WRITE. You can always go back and fix it later.

I mostly write-as-I-go, using Jim's "stepping stones" method. Often times, though, the characters take me in a completely different direction. I may do some rewrites every now and then to see if things veer back "on course," but usually find things working better when I follow where the characters lead...

Offline Vantillus Octavious

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 12:30:39 AM »
Where can i find Jim's stepping stones method at? Got a link?

Offline Breandan

• Conversationalist
  • Fear the Combat Teddy-Bear Robe!
    • View Profile
    • the Dark Nova Novels Website
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 12:31:52 AM »
I think the method matters a lot less than the finished product. If you can write a cogent, compelling book that intrigues an audience and hooks them, does it really matter how you got there? :)
"You know, the sad part is, that whole Combat Teddy Bear Robe incident was done while sober... *facepalm* "

Offline RobJN

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Storybook Factory
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 12:41:10 AM »
On the iPod at the moment, but Googling "Jim Butcher Livejournal" should turn up his writing advice articles.

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 12:47:16 AM »
I think the method matters a lot less than the finished product. If you can write a cogent, compelling book that intrigues an audience and hooks them, does it really matter how you got there? :)

Well, I imagine the question is "I want to write a cogent, compelling book that intrigues an audience and hooks them. What's the best way to start out?" ;) 
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline Breandan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 12:50:09 AM »
I dunno, for me it pops into my head like a movie, and I write what I see as it plays. It's never in order, so I write down the clips that I see, then go back and tie them all together. The characters write themselves, almost, it's rather unnerving at times. I think I have one of the more eccentric (read: freakin' weird) methods of writing, so I am a bad person to give out specifics on how to do so ;D
"You know, the sad part is, that whole Combat Teddy Bear Robe incident was done while sober... *facepalm* "

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 12:53:52 AM »
Jim's LJ is linked from the main website.  I'd also suggesting googling the Writing Excuses podcast and listening to it.  Very good advice from there.  They (Brandon Sanderson, Dan Wells, Howard forgot his last name) talk a lot about the different ways of writing--mostly talking about discovery writers and outliners--discovery writes being the ones who write as hey go.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 02:39:27 AM »
Well, I imagine the question is "I want to write a cogent, compelling book that intrigues an audience and hooks them. What's the best way to start out?" ;) 
1) Blow something up.
2) Make it a love story.
I've actually written a chapter already, but it's pretty cheesy with the whole love story idea.
Is it just me or is it getting a little solipsistic in here?

Offline prophet224

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Matt's Main Page (Under Construction)
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 04:22:22 PM »
Hey Breandan! If your way is crazy, then I'm crazy too. I find that writing out all the scenes in my head helps me keep the 'fire'. Those "tying together" scenes later are really tough though. But I keep finding that I learn so much about the story and the characters by writing out the scenes that I am imagining, so much of the rest of the story gets filled in on the way. Basically writing some scenes makes me think about a new set of scenes. :D
*NEW* DragonCon Writer's Track Notes:
Middle of page at: http://www.novusimperia.net/

Local but online Writer's Group:
http://writing.novusimperia.net/

Hypertext SotC SRD:
http://www.novusimperia.net/FATE_SRD/Fate3SRD.php

Offline Breandan

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 07:16:07 PM »
true, and thankfully I have a designated beta reader to go through and look for continuity issues and editing to help keep me on track :D

Offline prophet224

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Matt's Main Page (Under Construction)
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2010, 10:48:44 PM »
Yeah... continuity issues... about that... <whistle>

That is definitely one of the potential hazards in this style of writing.  :D
*NEW* DragonCon Writer's Track Notes:
Middle of page at: http://www.novusimperia.net/

Local but online Writer's Group:
http://writing.novusimperia.net/

Hypertext SotC SRD:
http://www.novusimperia.net/FATE_SRD/Fate3SRD.php

Offline Starbeam

• Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @stellamortis
    • View Profile
    • Stella Mortis
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2010, 11:17:37 PM »
This is where I say that's one of the awesome things with Scrivener---you don't have to write linearly.  You can write it however you want, and then go back and move it around to fit right.
"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you." Ray Bradbury