Author Topic: Generic NPCs  (Read 138245 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Generic NPCs
« Reply #585 on: November 10, 2011, 03:11:08 AM »
Courier Capsule (Hydrophobic)

High Concept: The Magical Equivalent Of A Carrier Pigeon
Other Aspects: Flies Like A Fly, One Track "Mind", Doesn't Know How To Give Up
Skills:
Good: Athletics
Fair: Stealth, Alertness
Average: Endurance, Might, Survival
Powers:
Mindless [-1]
Supernatural Sense [-1] (Can sense direction to destination)
Diminutive Size [-1]
Hollow [-1]
Wings [-1]
Inhuman Speed [-2]
Total Refresh Cost:
Refresh Total:

Complexity 14 to create.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 03:58:50 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: November 10, 2011, 03:27:18 AM »
Flying Harness (Feet In The Water)

High Concept: The Magical Equivalent Of A Jetpack
Other Aspects: Really Freaking Fast, Controlled By Verbal Commands
Skills:
Great: Athletics, Might
Good: Endurance, Fists
Fair: Alertness, Stealth
Average: Investigation, Lore
Stunts:
Person Carrier (Might): +2 to Might for lifting.
War Mount (Athletics): +2 to Athletics for dodging while someone is inside.
Powers:
Mindless [-1]
Hollow (Full Freedom) [-3]
Wings [-1]
Supernatural Speed [-4]
Total Refresh Cost:
Refresh Total:

Complexity 24 to manufacture.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 03:30:14 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 10, 2011, 03:43:40 AM »
Flying Saucer (Feet In The Water)

High Concept: The Magical Equivalent Of A Black Helicopter
Other Aspects: Tractor Beam, UFO, Needs A Pilot
Skills:
Great: Might, Athletics
Good: Guns, Endurance
Fair: Alertness, Fists
Average: Investigation, Intimidation
Stunts:
Tractor Beam (Might): +1 to grapple.
Filled With Deadly Machines (Might): No penalty to grapples for supplemental actions to inflict stress.
Powers:
Mindless [-1]
Construct [-1] (Living Dead refluff)
Hollow (Limited Freedom, Bigger On The Inside) [-3]
Wings [-1]
Hulking Size [-2]
Swallow Whole [-1/-2]
Tractor Beam [-1] (Long Reach reflavour)
Supernatural Strength [-4]
Inhuman Speed [-2]
Supernatural Toughness [-4]
The Catch (hexing) [+2]
Total Refresh Cost:
-20/-21
Refresh Total:
-14/-15

Complexity 33/34 to construct.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 04:00:02 AM by Sanctaphrax »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 10, 2011, 03:57:54 AM »
Humongous Mecha (Chest Deep)

High Concept: The Magical Equivalent Of A Gundam
Other Aspects: Super Robot, Needs A Pilot, This Is Not A Joke
Skills:
Superb: Weapons, Guns
Great: Might, Fists
Good: Athletics, Endurance
Fair: Intimidation, Alertness
Average: Investigation, Presence
Stunts:
Force Field (Athletics): +2 to dodge ranged attacks.
Laser Sword (Weapons): Laser sword attacks ignore 2 points of armour.
Powers:
Construct [-1] (Living Dead refluff)
Mindless [-1]
Titanic Size [-4]
Hollow (Limited Freedom) [-2]
Wings [-1]
Mythic Strength [-6]
Inhuman Speed [-2]
Mythic Toughness [-6]
The Catch (unknown) [+0]
Total Refresh Cost:
Refresh Total:

Complexity 45 to build.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 10, 2011, 04:08:45 AM »
And there you go. One Mindless Hollow character for each size category, with creation complexities. Fluff will follow.

More Superior Hold examples will follow.

Feedback wanted very much.

These guys are somewhat experimental. If you think that these guys demonstrate some sort of imbalance in one of the new powers or in the summoning system, say something.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #590 on: November 10, 2011, 05:42:43 PM »
I'm not equipped to playtest these. They look wonderful. My suspicion is that (seeing what you get for the Complexity) that they may be too easy for a party of almost any play level to produce, but I lack a competing system to the one we all hammered out. That said, their high visibility would probably be ample disincentive for a group of players to produce these regularly - not so much for villains, though maintaining the Unseelie Accords and its analogue to the Masquerade would certainly be a factor.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: November 10, 2011, 06:55:57 PM »
Really don't have an opinion because I wouldn't allow them in a campaign I was GMing.  I have massive issues with thaumaturgy being able to create any effect so long as the player takes their sweet time in casting it.  I also wouldn't allow anyone to wear a construct like that without spending FP/debt for every temporary power granted.  I further wouldn't allow the constructs to take any action without either complete attention (not even free actions or defense rolls and an aspect of All Senses Completely Blinded) from the caster, a bound spirit to animate them, or someone wearing them.

There's likely a reason you don't see every wizard running around with temple dog constructs like the ones Ancient Mai made.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 10, 2011, 09:37:50 PM »
IMPORTANT NOTE: "Wearing" one of these constructs does not give you their powers. See the Hollow power on the custom power thread for what it actually does.

And I would assume that every one of these contains a bound spirit of some kind, although it might be an artificial one in some cases. And a dumb one in all cases. After all, they are capable of semi-independent action.

Does that make these more acceptable to you, Buzzard?

Anyway, the relevant question here is whether or not these guys are balanced against other Thaumaturgy effects of the same complexity.

Is a single-function-robot Flying Harness that lasts a lifetime roughly equivalent to a 24-shift ward that lasts a lifetime?

I'm honestly not sure. But if not, I want to make it so.

I know for a fact that problems will likely arise anyway due to the problems with the Thaumaturgy system in general. But that's no excuse for not trying.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #593 on: November 10, 2011, 10:07:50 PM »
IMPORTANT NOTE: "Wearing" one of these constructs does not give you their powers. See the Hollow power on the custom power thread for what it actually does.

Well, for the jetpack analogue, the distinction is pretty blurry.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: November 10, 2011, 10:15:24 PM »
Yep.

I tried to minmax a bit there. It's specifically designed to be good to wear.

After all, it's not a good test unless you're trying to break stuff.

Although I suppose I could maybe make it even better by giving it this skill list:

Superb: Athletics
Great: Might
Good: Endurance
Fair: Fists
Average: Alertness

That kicks the complexity up to 25, but it also gives another point of Athletics. Maybe raise Speed to Mythic too. That'd give a defense roll of 10, which is as good as a Crafter.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: November 10, 2011, 11:24:34 PM »
Does that make these more acceptable to you, Buzzard?

Yeah, more or less on the same page now.

Anyway, the relevant question here is whether or not these guys are balanced against other Thaumaturgy effects of the same complexity.

Is a single-function-robot Flying Harness that lasts a lifetime roughly equivalent to a 24-shift ward that lasts a lifetime?

I'm honestly not sure. But if not, I want to make it so.

I know for a fact that problems will likely arise anyway due to the problems with the Thaumaturgy system in general. But that's no excuse for not trying.

Not sure how you're calculating shifts necessary but bear in mind you'll need enough to A) make the construct last X duration, B) summon the controlling spirit, and C) bind the spirit to the construct for the same duration.

So, a lifetime Courier Capsule should cost at the very least: summoning cost (6-10)
And in another phase base construct cost (?) + duration + binding (10-14) + duration + (add a temporary power X number of powers) + (add duration to powers X number of powers).

Honestly, I've no idea if they're balanced or not.  I go spell by spell on thaumaturgy in my games and I'm incredibly arbitrary about setting limits on it.  Some things I just will not allow for a chest deep wizard that I would allow for a 15 or 20 base refresh wizard, no matter how much time they spend on it.
Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: November 11, 2011, 04:38:03 AM »
Summoning rules.

Always did think casting three spells for one effect was kinda silly.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: November 11, 2011, 07:49:19 AM »
Alright, I feel like writing the fluff text from an IC perspective. Meet the very old, very powerful, nearly senile wizard who makes these things.

...Hm?

Oh...you want to know...about my creations, eh?

Well...the first one...was the courier capsule...back in the day...I was just an apprentice...had no phones...mail service was crap...carrier pigeons were a pain in the neck...needed a way to send messages...made a little flying box...worked great...so much safer than the Nevernever, you know...and you could send magic rings and stuff...not just letters...I'm still proud of that...after all these years...people still use these things...heck, they make all kinds of 'em...walking ones, swimming ones...Nevernever-travelling ones...all based on my design...sorry...probably don't wanna hear...an old man brag about his glory days...moving on...

Flying harness...was an old design...found it in this old book...it's like a witch's broom...moves you around...lets you fly...helps you dodge...real useful...used to make 'em for Wardens...looks creepy, I know...shaped like a disk...eyes on the bottom...wraps tentacles around you when you sit on it...but it works damn well...and now these kids...they make ones that look real nice...sorry...I'm rambling again...moving on...

Only ever made...two flying fortresses...one for the war against Kemmler...had to hide the children...he kept finding the hideouts...sending zombies...killing the kids...flying castle over the pacific was safe...well, safer...had to move it to the Nevernever after it got attacked...but it worked...kids lived...second one was made as a gift for Ferrovax...needed to apologize...wait...that's supposed to be secret...I didn't say anything...my first apprentice made a better one later...he was a good boy...

UFO...was a cheap joke...made it to mess with mortals...turned out to be a good design...made more...when we needed to round up hellcows...heh, that was fun...sorcerer stole the design...used it to collect human sacrifices...that wasn't so fun...but we put a stop to that...

The Mecha...I made for money...this mortal billionaire wanted to kick ass...wanted to move up the food chain...he was very specific...about how it should look...I think he was copying something he'd seen somewhere...dunno where...wish I did...this thing wasn't easy to make...the inspiration for it must've been impressive...maybe an Old God or something...anyway...later got an offer from this military guy...said he was with am-boss or something...wanted to buy another...but the Merlin said no...said it was risking the secrecy of magic...and likely to disrupt the world order...and anyway I didn't need money...can make anything I want with magic...raise a castle in an evening...and besides I'm already a multi-millionaire...turns out he was right...that's the Merlin for you...always looks out for me...I never realized I even had a bank account...the Council took care of it for me...so all a big waste of time...never needed the money in the first place...oh well...it was kinda fun...I'm drifting...

...I think that's all.

Hm. This was kind of an experiment. Not sure if it worked.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 11, 2011, 08:17:18 AM »
Chain Golem (Feet in the Water)

High Concept: Chain Golem
Other Aspects: Implacable Hunter, Made Of Iron, Walking Prison
Skills:
Great: Might, Fists
Good: Endurance, Alertness
Fair: Intimidation, Athletics
Average: Presence, Investigation
Stunts:
Made Of Chains (Might): +1 to grapple.
Wrap You Good (Might): No penalty for supplemental aspect infliction in a grapple.
Full Of Holes (Athletics): +2 to dodge piercing attacks.
Powers:
Mindless [-1]
Construct [-1] (Living Dead reflavour)
Superior Hold [-2]
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Inhuman Toughness [-2]
Supernatural Sense [-1] (Use Alertness to determine direction to target, given ritual link to target.)
Total Refresh Cost:
Refresh Total:

PS: Made this with the NPC formatilizer, so I also have wiki entry text. So I'll add it to the wiki now.
PPS: Slight problem with wiki output. There's a random colon after each power name.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 08:22:32 AM by Sanctaphrax »

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 11, 2011, 11:45:56 AM »
Summoning rules.

Always did think casting three spells for one effect was kinda silly.

Eh, I've got pretty big beefs all up and down that but if it works for someone's table, more power to them.